Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Peter Reid confirmed 13:52 - Oct 15 with 4272 viewsIllinoisblue

No excuses for Cook now

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:22 - Oct 15 with 915 viewsHerbivore

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:16 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

Yes, because every team in the history of football who has made 19 changes to their first team (whether rightly or wrongly) has come out of the blocks like steam trains. Whilst 4/5 teams have done that and started well this season, you only have to look at Blackpool last season as an example of a team making many changes and starting slowly.

Whilst it hasn't been a great start to life for Cook so far (and I include last seasons abomination in that) some of the talk on here at times is unbelievable.

Still, it suits peoples narratives that Cooks not got us firing yet.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 15:17]

I don't think there's much been said that's unreasonable. I doubt any of us expected us to be sat on 13 points after 11 games when the fixtures first came out. It's been a really poor start to the season, the fixture list has been relatively kind with 7 of our 11 games at home and having faced hardly any promotion contenders yet. I think it's understandable that people aren't happy.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:23 - Oct 15 with 918 viewsIllinoisblue

Peter Reid confirmed on 14:06 - Oct 15 by chicoazul

My heart is broken at the lack of Joe Royle. Plus Blubbers would explode.

Joe as attacking coach. Mick in as defenders coach. Watch us fly.

62 - 78 - 81

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:23 - Oct 15 with 924 viewsBlueBadger

Yes, because every team in the history of football who has made 19 changes to their first team (whether rightly or wrongly) has come out of the blocks like steam trains. Whilst 4/5 teams have done that and started well this season, you only have to look at Blackpool last season as an example of a team making many changes and starting slowly.

Whilst it hasn't been a great start to life for Cook so far (and I include last seasons abomination in that) some of the talk on here at times is unbelievable.

As has been pointed out, ad infinitum, massive turnover of players is very common in the third division. Morecombe, for example have signed 19 players over the summer and are currently sitting above us in the division, Accrington, have also made 19 signings and also sit above us.

At this point in time, Paul Cook's record simply isn't good enough and he has no excuses for that.
We've got 13 points, having largely played also-rans.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 19:34]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:25 - Oct 15 with 897 viewsIllinoisblue

Peter Reid confirmed on 14:22 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

Cook had no excuses as soon as his budget was given to him.

We are a ridiculous set-up for this league now.

That’s why it’s frustrating to look at the Championship and see teams such as Milwall, Preston, Blackburn etc easily surviving in that division on their 10k crowds.

The Evans-era decline was absolutely criminal.

62 - 78 - 81

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:29 - Oct 15 with 867 viewsKieran_Knows

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:22 - Oct 15 by Herbivore

I don't think there's much been said that's unreasonable. I doubt any of us expected us to be sat on 13 points after 11 games when the fixtures first came out. It's been a really poor start to the season, the fixture list has been relatively kind with 7 of our 11 games at home and having faced hardly any promotion contenders yet. I think it's understandable that people aren't happy.

I don't deny any of that, but the constant negativity is just draining (not necessarily saying your negative though Herb).

At the end of the day, what will be will be, won't it? If the owners/Ashton think Cook is doing such a poor job, he'll be gone.

I suspect he's here till January at least though, so lets hope things pick up.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:31 - Oct 15 with 855 viewsElderGrizzly

Peter Reid confirmed on 14:48 - Oct 15 by itfcjoe

I can’t imagine a consultant appointment means much in the grand scheme of things

Biggest issue is having to keep putting in change requests post data lock on FM22!

It’s more experience into the coaching set-up that we needed and appears he has been at the training ground?

If nothing else it is someone who will challenge Cook and feels he can tell him he is wrong
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:31 - Oct 15 with 845 viewsBluefish

If a manager has a task to get a team back up and that manager is given a massive budget to achieve that the manager should do it in a way that is possible. If that involves less changes to make it realistic then that is good management. Making 19 changes by choice and then saying they couldn't succeed because of too many changes is pathetic

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:35 - Oct 15 with 823 viewsElderGrizzly

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:29 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

I don't deny any of that, but the constant negativity is just draining (not necessarily saying your negative though Herb).

At the end of the day, what will be will be, won't it? If the owners/Ashton think Cook is doing such a poor job, he'll be gone.

Huge 5 games.

2 wins, 3 losses is probably non-survivable?
Login to get fewer ads

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:38 - Oct 15 with 792 viewsKieran_Knows

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:35 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

Huge 5 games.

2 wins, 3 losses is probably non-survivable?

The only reason why I think it'll be till January as it his squad, it's his 19 signings, no other input other than his for the signings.

However, some of the off-field appointments across the summer and today (Probert), plus some comments Ashton has made previously, and this is just me speculating, any new manager would be working under a 'model' rather than full control like Cook has/had had over the summer.

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:38 - Oct 15 with 790 viewsHerbivore

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:29 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

Yeah that's fair enough mate. I 100% hope things pick up too, I would love Cook to be a success here and he was my first choice when appointed (aside from a romantic Burley/Dyer fantasy pick) so I am desperate for him to succeed. I'm also a bit stunned by just how poorly he's done since he came in. That said, I've not called for him to go and think he needs this run of 5 games to show whether we've genuinely turned a corner or not. Our away form under him has been terrible and this little run of games gives him a chance to show he can put that right. If he can, we'll have a bit of momentum and can hopefully start looking forward to the rest of the season without the nagging feeling that things just aren't meant to be for Cook here.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 15:43]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:40 - Oct 15 with 788 viewsthegloryyears

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:31 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

It’s more experience into the coaching set-up that we needed and appears he has been at the training ground?

If nothing else it is someone who will challenge Cook and feels he can tell him he is wrong

Wow we have travelled back to 1992
lets get 2 big men up top and bomb it Forward....
and then swear at all the players at half time - this will end well.
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:43 - Oct 15 with 770 viewsBluefish

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:40 - Oct 15 by thegloryyears

Wow we have travelled back to 1992
lets get 2 big men up top and bomb it Forward....
and then swear at all the players at half time - this will end well.

Might get us a win against the likes of Acrrington or Morecombe

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:44 - Oct 15 with 777 viewsElderGrizzly

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:38 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

The only reason why I think it'll be till January as it his squad, it's his 19 signings, no other input other than his for the signings.

However, some of the off-field appointments across the summer and today (Probert), plus some comments Ashton has made previously, and this is just me speculating, any new manager would be working under a 'model' rather than full control like Cook has/had had over the summer.

I think you’re right.. I remember chatting with you in the summer and we thought he had until January then but that was before a less than good start.

Ashton is clearly setting up the club to be ‘agnostic’ of manager. Which is what it should be and why i’m still convinced Cook isn’t their man and never was. He doesn’t do that structure
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:46 - Oct 15 with 768 viewsKieran_Knows

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:44 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

I think you’re right.. I remember chatting with you in the summer and we thought he had until January then but that was before a less than good start.

Ashton is clearly setting up the club to be ‘agnostic’ of manager. Which is what it should be and why i’m still convinced Cook isn’t their man and never was. He doesn’t do that structure

Very much so.

Hasn't it been said they had lined Appleton to take the job? Someone who I could see working under a 'model' and of course has previous with the Chairman and CEO. I don't think they really had any choice but to stick with Cook, mainly because of his previous record of getting teams promoted - which nobody can deny.

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:50 - Oct 15 with 758 viewsHighgateBlue

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:25 - Oct 15 by Illinoisblue

That’s why it’s frustrating to look at the Championship and see teams such as Milwall, Preston, Blackburn etc easily surviving in that division on their 10k crowds.

The Evans-era decline was absolutely criminal.

Well we were in the Championship playoffs not so long ago. Let's see whether this current lot can get us into the Championship playoffs, and then let's start sl*gging off Evans again. But for now, it's the current regime which is massively underachieving.
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:52 - Oct 15 with 753 viewsHighgateBlue

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:23 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

As has been pointed out, ad infinitum, massive turnover of players is very common in the third division. Morecombe, for example have signed 19 players over the summer and are currently sitting above us in the division, Accrington, have also made 19 signings and also sit above us.

At this point in time, Paul Cook's record simply isn't good enough and he has no excuses for that.
We've got 13 points, having largely played also-rans.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 19:34]

Absolutely right.

Big turnover is (a) common at this level, and (b) COOK'S CHOICE.

He needs to accept the consequences of his decisions. Nobody forced him to bin the player of the season, who's now top of the league, and make our defence worse.
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:53 - Oct 15 with 749 viewsParky

It’s not as if there’s 35 games to go and 105 points still to play for
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:55 - Oct 15 with 746 viewsElderGrizzly

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:46 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

Very much so.

Hasn't it been said they had lined Appleton to take the job? Someone who I could see working under a 'model' and of course has previous with the Chairman and CEO. I don't think they really had any choice but to stick with Cook, mainly because of his previous record of getting teams promoted - which nobody can deny.

I think we all agree, they couldn’t sack him 6 weeks after him getting the job. Not the way they’d want to start their tenure.

Fingers crossed things improve, for our sake more than anything.

But assume Cook will always be treading thinner ice than one of their own appointees
Peter Reid confirmed on 15:56 - Oct 15 with 743 viewsIllinoisblue

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:50 - Oct 15 by HighgateBlue

Well we were in the Championship playoffs not so long ago. Let's see whether this current lot can get us into the Championship playoffs, and then let's start sl*gging off Evans again. But for now, it's the current regime which is massively underachieving.

You’re comparing 1 good season in 13 years to the new regime who have literally had to restructure and staff the entire club from top to bottom in 6 months?

62 - 78 - 81

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:57 - Oct 15 with 735 viewsElderGrizzly

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:56 - Oct 15 by Illinoisblue

You’re comparing 1 good season in 13 years to the new regime who have literally had to restructure and staff the entire club from top to bottom in 6 months?

Indeed. We got in the playoffs despite the structure/ownership.

We now have the structure we believe we need, they now need to deliver.
Peter Reid confirmed on 19:07 - Oct 15 with 598 viewsBlueBadger

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:55 - Oct 15 by ElderGrizzly

I think we all agree, they couldn’t sack him 6 weeks after him getting the job. Not the way they’d want to start their tenure.

Fingers crossed things improve, for our sake more than anything.

But assume Cook will always be treading thinner ice than one of their own appointees

A bit like Magilton at the start of the Evans era. Keane was indulged considerably more by Evans than Magilton was.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Peter Reid confirmed on 19:13 - Oct 15 with 594 viewsKeaneish

Peter Reid confirmed on 14:51 - Oct 15 by Kieran_Knows

So we're judging Morsy coming in to the team based upon the 3 (league games) he's been available, of which we've won 2 and lost 1?

You know better than I having been a poster on here for many years that seeing the wood for the trees escapes a large swathe of people. If many had there way, Evans would still be here leading us on a downward spiral into oblivion simply because the idea of change was a little bit scary.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Peter Reid confirmed on 19:27 - Oct 15 with 573 viewsBlueBadger

Peter Reid confirmed on 19:13 - Oct 15 by Keaneish

You know better than I having been a poster on here for many years that seeing the wood for the trees escapes a large swathe of people. If many had there way, Evans would still be here leading us on a downward spiral into oblivion simply because the idea of change was a little bit scary.

LOL.

Peter Reid confirmed on 19:35 - Oct 15 with 561 viewsKeaneish

Peter Reid confirmed on 19:27 - Oct 15 by BlueBadger

LOL.

Is the match day experience better though? We’re all realllly dying to know.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Peter Reid confirmed on 21:04 - Oct 15 with 512 viewsGeomorph

Peter Reid confirmed on 15:07 - Oct 15 by Bluefish

Luckily the rest of my life offsets the terrible football. For you lot it must be horrific to think not having back to back wins all season or the perfornances of the shambolic seasons before it amounts to great times

I’ve done mental health awareness stuff at work the last couple of years. I get you lad…
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024