Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... 17:39 - Oct 15 with 1192 viewsbluelagos

Seems they have worked out a number of deaths from CV as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/15/liverpool-v-atletico-placed-fans-i

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:47 - Oct 15 with 1137 viewsgtsb1966

Excuse my ignorance but is there any data which splits the deaths directly caused by covid and deaths from other illnesses but had tested positive within 28 days before death. It has probably been posted lots of times and I've missed it so my apologies.
Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:56 - Oct 15 with 1100 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

I still think it’s hugely unfair that these events take such major criticism (and not just because I was at Cheltenham). Cheltenham said for weeks and weeks before the festival that it would only be going ahead if the government allowed them to. Even during the festival, they were continuing to follow what they were told. The government only decided football would be cancellled at around 11am of the last day of Cheltenham but were happy to let racing continue.Cheltenham themselves had more sanitising stuff available than anywhere I’ve seen in the entire pandemic.

When the government didn’t then lockdown for another week after this, and Cheltenham only followed what they were told was right, I don’t see how they themselves get the blame. It’s unfair - but racing has always been an easy target and there’s been plenty of people since stirring it up for their own benefits within the media and within politics.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:58 - Oct 15 with 1086 viewsbluelagos

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:47 - Oct 15 by gtsb1966

Excuse my ignorance but is there any data which splits the deaths directly caused by covid and deaths from other illnesses but had tested positive within 28 days before death. It has probably been posted lots of times and I've missed it so my apologies.

That's the report where the figures came from.

https://www.edgehealth.co.uk/post/understanding-the-role-of-large-gatherings-on-

It states at the end

"The data used and outputted from this analysis are available on request.

For further enquiries, please contact George Batchelor on george@edgehealth.co.uk "

So you can always contact the guy if you want to understand more.

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:00 - Oct 15 with 1077 viewsbluelagos

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:56 - Oct 15 by The_Romford_Blue

I still think it’s hugely unfair that these events take such major criticism (and not just because I was at Cheltenham). Cheltenham said for weeks and weeks before the festival that it would only be going ahead if the government allowed them to. Even during the festival, they were continuing to follow what they were told. The government only decided football would be cancellled at around 11am of the last day of Cheltenham but were happy to let racing continue.Cheltenham themselves had more sanitising stuff available than anywhere I’ve seen in the entire pandemic.

When the government didn’t then lockdown for another week after this, and Cheltenham only followed what they were told was right, I don’t see how they themselves get the blame. It’s unfair - but racing has always been an easy target and there’s been plenty of people since stirring it up for their own benefits within the media and within politics.

I agree with you Rommy. Organisations and people who worked within the rules can't be expected to know more about public health issues that the govt.

Whilst many sports did lockdown before the govt forced them to, I don't for a second have an issue with those that continued within the law as it stood.

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:01 - Oct 15 with 1076 viewsfactual_blue

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 17:56 - Oct 15 by The_Romford_Blue

matt halfcock is in the Jockey Club's pocket.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:03 - Oct 15 with 1065 viewsgtsb1966

Whoa there. ...sorry. Nobody is blaming the racing industry per se. People are though blaming the government for letting it go ahead. Big difference.
Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:05 - Oct 15 with 1065 viewsfactual_blue

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:03 - Oct 15 by gtsb1966

Whoa there. ...sorry. Nobody is blaming the racing industry per se. People are though blaming the government for letting it go ahead. Big difference.

Like I said, it's matt halfcock who has blood on his hands here. Firmly in the pocket of the racing industry and SoS at the DH at the time of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival. It was his call, and he didn't make it.

I wonder why....?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:07 - Oct 15 with 1054 viewslowhouseblue

always read the footnotes: "The analysis states that their findings cannot be used to establish causality." it's also quite an odd methodology - the rise in deaths in the hospital nearest to the event. given that people travelled to cheltenham, for example, from across the country would you expect the additional deaths to be in the hospital neatest the race course?

that doesn't alter the fact that in retrospect it was certainly an error to hold those events. but i wouldn't take the numbers as gospel - it seems a pretty dodgy original article.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Login to get fewer ads

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:11 - Oct 15 with 1043 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:00 - Oct 15 by bluelagos

I agree with you Rommy. Organisations and people who worked within the rules can't be expected to know more about public health issues that the govt.

Whilst many sports did lockdown before the govt forced them to, I don't for a second have an issue with those that continued within the law as it stood.

I was at my Nan’s a couple of months ago with my cousins as it goes and the conversation of blame for COVID spread in this country came up. One of my Nan’s friends piped up with the comment ‘it was those morons who went to the horse racing that caused it to spread’. She obviously had no idea I had been there. I sat there and listened as she genuinely believed the only reason it spread to a national lockdown level with hundreds of thousands of deaths was because ‘they went to the racing from all around the UK and then took it home to their cities and towns. I guarantee without that happening, we’d have never needed a lockdown or anything at all’.

Where she got this from I’ve no idea but it’s scary that this myth is even out there. So it just infuriates me how easily Cheltenham and us ‘morons’ get blamed placed on our shoulders.

The government should have stopped it probably. But they didn’t. And if I hadn’t gone, you think my hotel would’ve refunded the £450 or the tickets for £300 would’ve been sent back? Of course not. The media since that week regarding Cheltenham have been disgraceful with their treatment of it.

Do you know what it reminds me of BL? Those who went abroad at a time the government had said they were allowed to go abroad. They received abuse and blame when really, it’s on the government to make the rules and us to follow. It’s not on us. Nor Cheltenham. Nor the holiday goers.

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:15 - Oct 15 with 1014 viewsbluelagos

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:11 - Oct 15 by The_Romford_Blue

I was at my Nan’s a couple of months ago with my cousins as it goes and the conversation of blame for COVID spread in this country came up. One of my Nan’s friends piped up with the comment ‘it was those morons who went to the horse racing that caused it to spread’. She obviously had no idea I had been there. I sat there and listened as she genuinely believed the only reason it spread to a national lockdown level with hundreds of thousands of deaths was because ‘they went to the racing from all around the UK and then took it home to their cities and towns. I guarantee without that happening, we’d have never needed a lockdown or anything at all’.

Where she got this from I’ve no idea but it’s scary that this myth is even out there. So it just infuriates me how easily Cheltenham and us ‘morons’ get blamed placed on our shoulders.

The government should have stopped it probably. But they didn’t. And if I hadn’t gone, you think my hotel would’ve refunded the £450 or the tickets for £300 would’ve been sent back? Of course not. The media since that week regarding Cheltenham have been disgraceful with their treatment of it.

Do you know what it reminds me of BL? Those who went abroad at a time the government had said they were allowed to go abroad. They received abuse and blame when really, it’s on the government to make the rules and us to follow. It’s not on us. Nor Cheltenham. Nor the holiday goers.

I got stick off a couple of posters for going on solo walks and/or cycle rides for longer than the mythical one hour exercise we were allowed!

So many issues all coming together over Corona, but one thing I am 99% sure of, the final findings from the independent inquiry won't be made public before the next election.

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:18 - Oct 15 with 982 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:03 - Oct 15 by gtsb1966

There are people out there though blaming the racing industry.

One of the news sites tweeted the grand National result a few months ago and every response was from people saying that the racing industry should be disgusted with Cheltenham going ahead (and this was over a year later).

Racing has been and always will be an easy target unfortunately.

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:31 - Oct 15 with 929 viewsEastTownBlue

The government didn't decide to call off the football matches, the PL and EFL decided themselves after Mikel Arteta caught the virus.
Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:34 - Oct 15 with 902 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good luck holding anyone to account for 37 deaths. Tens of thousands of people have died unnecessarily because of the incompetence of the UK Govt. And nobody's going to answer for those poor people either. We can have all the reports we want but unless the people accountable face the consequences it's all pissing in the wind.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 20:30 - Oct 15 with 750 viewsFreddies_Ears

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:34 - Oct 15 by Swansea_Blue

Good luck holding anyone to account for 37 deaths. Tens of thousands of people have died unnecessarily because of the incompetence of the UK Govt. And nobody's going to answer for those poor people either. We can have all the reports we want but unless the people accountable face the consequences it's all pissing in the wind.

I can make a plausible case for 75,000 so far, and increasing every day. Sadly.
Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 09:59 - Oct 17 with 471 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Remember when Cheltenham and LFC v Atletico went ahead... on 18:05 - Oct 15 by factual_blue

Like I said, it's matt halfcock who has blood on his hands here. Firmly in the pocket of the racing industry and SoS at the DH at the time of the 2020 Cheltenham Festival. It was his call, and he didn't make it.

I wonder why....?

It's worth spelling out for those who aren't aware of constituency boundaries:

Matt Hancock's constituency of West Suffolk includes Newmarket, and therefore many of the yards housing the racehorses of some very rich people indeed, the biggest auctioneers of racehorses and the National Stud.

And Newmarket Gallops is owned by the Jockey Club.

The horse racing industry is somewhat dominant in his constituency.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024