Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pitch sizes... 00:57 - Oct 16 with 1686 viewsOriginalMarkyP

The Abbey is 110 x 74 yards
Portman Rd is 112 by 82 yards

So at home we have a whole extra 3 yards on each wing to play with.

Which may not sound a lot, but is in playing terms I believe a significant difference.

The smaller playing surface to my mind suggests a more 'fight' game, I doubt we'll have anytime on the ball.

I wonder if this will effect tactics and selection.

I think we need to fight for the right to play. And so far this team always seem averse of incapable of doing it.

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Pitch sizes... on 01:09 - Oct 16 with 1649 viewsGeomorph

Interesting post. You always imagine that small clubs have somehow smaller pitches… having witnessed the accy shambles (was that a small pitch?) I tend to agree. But football has always been a win your battles and then earn the right kind of cliche. Basically, we’ve gotta man up and scrap for points away from home I guess
Pitch sizes... on 02:47 - Oct 16 with 1587 viewsbournemouthblue

Pitch sizes... on 01:09 - Oct 16 by Geomorph

Interesting post. You always imagine that small clubs have somehow smaller pitches… having witnessed the accy shambles (was that a small pitch?) I tend to agree. But football has always been a win your battles and then earn the right kind of cliche. Basically, we’ve gotta man up and scrap for points away from home I guess

Ours is one of the widest in the country I believe but it's not quite as long as some

What are the biggest pitches out there out of interest?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Pitch sizes... on 07:17 - Oct 16 with 1464 viewsKeaneish

Yeah I went pre-season a few seasons ago and it felt quite tight and compact. Will be interesting to see what if Burns and Edwards / Celina hug the touchline or not. Agree this might be a tighter game than people think given simple things like pitch width. Good post.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Pitch sizes... on 07:18 - Oct 16 with 1465 viewsLightworker

I don't anticipate a lack of fight today from the players, maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment but I don't think they would dare to put in another Accrington type performance.
Pitch sizes... on 08:38 - Oct 16 with 1330 viewsfabian_illness

If our pitch is 8 yards wider, isn’t that 4 yards per wing?

Or, a whole extra 3 yards, plus 1 extra yard.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 8:41]
Pitch sizes... on 08:47 - Oct 16 with 1318 viewsBluesky

I have never ever understood why football pitches are not a standard size.
You don't get cricket pitches varying from 18 to 24 yards - they are all 22. You get standard sized basket ball, netball courts, tennis courts,competition billiard tables and so on. Makes no sense to me. What would Nadal and Federer say if they suddenly found their serves were consistently too long because they were on a smaller pitch. Well, I know what they'd say..."Gracious me" in Spanish and Swiss respectively. I lie back and await all the funny responses. 2-1 to us today.
Pitch sizes... on 08:53 - Oct 16 with 1280 viewsBluefish

Should but won't

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Pitch sizes... on 09:12 - Oct 16 with 1209 viewssolemio

Pitch sizes... on 08:47 - Oct 16 by Bluesky

You don't get cricket pitches varying from 18 to 24 yards - they are all 22. You get standard sized basket ball, netball courts, tennis courts,competition billiard tables and so on. Makes no sense to me. What would Nadal and Federer say if they suddenly found their serves were consistently too long because they were on a smaller pitch. Well, I know what they'd say..."Gracious me" in Spanish and Swiss respectively. I lie back and await all the funny responses. 2-1 to us today.

Yes, but would Federer say 'Gracious me' in German Swiss, Italian Swiss or French Swiss?
Login to get fewer ads

Pitch sizes... on 09:20 - Oct 16 with 1204 viewsGuthrum

Tho the boundary of a cricket pitch varies hugely - sometimes adjusted from match to match depending upon the format. While the overall dimensions of a football pitch may vary, certain other distances remain, such as the 6-yard box or the penalty spot.

Basically it's a factor of sometimes ancient sporting fields - older than the codification of rules themselves - still being in use today.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Pitch sizes... on 09:45 - Oct 16 with 1151 viewsstrikalite

Pitch sizes... on 08:38 - Oct 16 by fabian_illness

If our pitch is 8 yards wider, isn’t that 4 yards per wing?

Or, a whole extra 3 yards, plus 1 extra yard.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 8:41]

Yep and that is a lot considering the way we play, really good thread this is, think about how slow we were on the ball last week for example, none of that today, hope to god its a decent surface though..
Pitch sizes... on 09:59 - Oct 16 with 1112 viewsPinewoodblue

Pitch sizes... on 09:45 - Oct 16 by strikalite

Yep and that is a lot considering the way we play, really good thread this is, think about how slow we were on the ball last week for example, none of that today, hope to god its a decent surface though..

Think you will find that in reality it works the other way. Visitors to Portman Road enjoy the e tea width.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Only a Shrewsbury have larger pitch in League one on 10:03 - Oct 16 with 1097 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-s

2023 year of destiny

Pitch sizes... on 10:05 - Oct 16 with 1086 viewsstrikalite

Pitch sizes... on 09:59 - Oct 16 by Pinewoodblue

Think you will find that in reality it works the other way. Visitors to Portman Road enjoy the e tea width.

Absolutely that can work the other way, I remember when Crewe came down here many moons ago and passed us off the pitch and one of their players said "if only we could play here every week"...
Pitch sizes... on 10:06 - Oct 16 with 1087 viewsPlums

Pitch sizes... on 09:20 - Oct 16 by Guthrum

Tho the boundary of a cricket pitch varies hugely - sometimes adjusted from match to match depending upon the format. While the overall dimensions of a football pitch may vary, certain other distances remain, such as the 6-yard box or the penalty spot.

Basically it's a factor of sometimes ancient sporting fields - older than the codification of rules themselves - still being in use today.

Numerous football managers have of course, over the years altered the width of of their pitches to deny opposition wingers space and to compress the game to home advantage.
Cambridge United’s very own John Beck was a master of the artificially watery playing surface and dodgy away changing rooms but probably couldn’t squeeze their pitch any tighter than it already was.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Pitch sizes... on 10:17 - Oct 16 with 1048 viewslongtimefan

Your cricket pitch analogy doesn’t really work. The important bits are the same dimensions for all cricket and football pitches ie. the wicket lengths are constant, but so are goal sizes, penalty boxes etc. Cricket grounds have vastly different boundary sizes, much like the different football pitch widths and lengths

Edit :Sorry just seen Guthrum has made the same points. Should have guessed
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 10:20]
Pitch sizes... on 10:19 - Oct 16 with 1039 viewsRyorry

Pitch sizes... on 09:20 - Oct 16 by Guthrum

That's one of the quaint charms of cricket though, along with the fact that the weather can decide the result of games!

Re football - one of the reasons George Burley was such a top, top manager, and I'll forever love him for it, was the complete thoroughness of his approach - as in marking up the training pitch into the exact size of the Wemburley pitch pre POF, and getting the squad to train on that to get used to it.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Pitch sizes... on 10:29 - Oct 16 with 1001 viewsPinewoodblue

Pitch sizes... on 10:06 - Oct 16 by Plums

Numerous football managers have of course, over the years altered the width of of their pitches to deny opposition wingers space and to compress the game to home advantage.
Cambridge United’s very own John Beck was a master of the artificially watery playing surface and dodgy away changing rooms but probably couldn’t squeeze their pitch any tighter than it already was.

These days clubs have to provide pitch dimensions to the league before the season starts.

John Beck’s team used to play a long ball into the corners. The grass was kept longer there, to over water it would be counter productive.

They had the players to make it work, wingers who could deliver a measured cross and the likes of Dublin & Claridge to finish it off.

Incidentally they both lodged with my younger brother when they first signed for Cambridge United and remain friends. Claridge provided our tickets for the 1992 game and we sat in the main stand.

2023 year of destiny

Pitch sizes... on 11:54 - Oct 16 with 850 viewsEireannach_gorm

Jack Charlton used to have the grass left long in the old Lansdowne road stadium for tactical purposes.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20040625.html
Pitch sizes... on 13:28 - Oct 16 with 732 viewsbournemouthblue

The wicket is the same length but the pitch dimensions of the boundaries vary quite a bit

Edit: I can see 2 or 3 other people have mentioned this

I note one of these stadium guide sites has our pitch down as 112 x 70, where on earth did they get that information from?
[Post edited 16 Oct 2021 13:35]

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Only a Shrewsbury have larger pitch in League one on 13:53 - Oct 16 with 667 viewsTerra_Farma

Only a Shrewsbury have larger pitch in League one on 10:03 - Oct 16 by Pinewoodblue

https://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/articles/are-all-football-pitches-the-same-s

Cheers for the link.

Very interesting indeed !
Pitch sizes... on 14:58 - Oct 16 with 562 viewsKeno

Pitch sizes... on 09:12 - Oct 16 by solemio

Yes, but would Federer say 'Gracious me' in German Swiss, Italian Swiss or French Swiss?

or even in Romansh

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024