Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
2 things to say after the game today 18:55 - Oct 16 with 1397 viewsTooManyCooks

1) Did I dream the 2-2 scoreline? Judging by the comments on this forum, you'd think we just got beaten by 5 or 6. Crikey, we just picked up a point away from home, go and have an Ovaltine and check your head again in the morning a lot of you, it's embarrassing.

2) Tactics - He said it himself, that shutting up shop is not his style, but he also knows where the team is from a development perspective. In a settled team that's full of confidence and high up in the league, he can probably get away with those subs and nick another goal, but currently, just NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Get another defensively minded player (or two) on and shut up shop. Do we actually have anybody on the bench that could do that? I'm afraid that was poor management today IMO, not sure if it cost us the points as we probably should have had them buried in the first half, but as we didn't and the game became tighter, the manager needs to make the right calls to give us the best chance of success and for me, he didn't do that today.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

2 things to say after the game today on 18:57 - Oct 16 with 1376 viewshomer_123

So...what you are saying is Cook threw 2 points away and you are annoyed that fans are frustrated?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

2 things to say after the game today on 18:58 - Oct 16 with 1356 views3_5_2

If you went, did you clap them off?

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

2 things to say after the game today on 18:59 - Oct 16 with 1339 viewsJ2BLUE

What are you banging on about? We threw a two goal lead away to Cambridge and the manager publicly announced he will refuse to manage games correctly.

This was not a good day.

A few years ago we were in the Championship and whenever Cambridge, Southend, Colchester etc were mentioned on the news I zoned out. Depressing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

2 things to say after the game today on 19:00 - Oct 16 with 1325 viewsBlueBadger

Chucking away a 2 goal lead, particularly in the fashion we did can make a draw against a side just promoted from the 4th division tends to live people disappointed, yes.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

2 things to say after the game today on 19:00 - Oct 16 with 1335 viewschicoazul

Sounds like Evans not playing was very much a last minute thing. He’s one of our key players. Maybe he would have made a difference? And Pig from the bench too?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

2 things to say after the game today on 19:01 - Oct 16 with 1315 viewsJ2BLUE

2 things to say after the game today on 19:00 - Oct 16 by chicoazul

Sounds like Evans not playing was very much a last minute thing. He’s one of our key players. Maybe he would have made a difference? And Pig from the bench too?

Good point, after all we only really have 11 decent players...

Truly impaired.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:02 - Oct 16 with 1303 viewsgazzer1999

Cambridge United, just let that sink in for a minute. We just about managed a point and was getting bullied off the pitch. Corporal Jones would have a saying for us...................... answers on a post card.
2 things to say after the game today on 19:04 - Oct 16 with 1263 viewshomer_123

2 things to say after the game today on 19:01 - Oct 16 by J2BLUE

Good point, after all we only really have 11 decent players...

...still gelling innit

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Login to get fewer ads

2 things to say after the game today on 19:05 - Oct 16 with 1256 viewsZXBlue

You dont have t shut up shop. What you do have to do is react to a changing game and get your team back on the front foot. Which you dont do by putting on three lightweight forward players and hoping for hte best.
2 things to say after the game today on 19:13 - Oct 16 with 1181 viewsTooManyCooks

2 things to say after the game today on 18:59 - Oct 16 by J2BLUE

What are you banging on about? We threw a two goal lead away to Cambridge and the manager publicly announced he will refuse to manage games correctly.

This was not a good day.

A few years ago we were in the Championship and whenever Cambridge, Southend, Colchester etc were mentioned on the news I zoned out. Depressing.

"A few years ago we were in the Championship"

You need to stop thinking like this, why not "20 odd years ago we were in the prem"? We are in the league we deserve to be in currently. Marcus Evans took 13/14 years to utterly destroy this club from top to bottom and honestly, we're probably lucky not to have dropped further. That sort of damage isn't going to be reversed in a few months, no matter how hard we want it to be.

We started badly, but over the last 5/6 games we are in top 4 form, so the massive overreactions we are witnessing on the forum, are bizarre to say the least.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:18 - Oct 16 with 1139 viewsJ2BLUE

2 things to say after the game today on 19:13 - Oct 16 by TooManyCooks

You need to stop thinking like this, why not "20 odd years ago we were in the prem"? We are in the league we deserve to be in currently. Marcus Evans took 13/14 years to utterly destroy this club from top to bottom and honestly, we're probably lucky not to have dropped further. That sort of damage isn't going to be reversed in a few months, no matter how hard we want it to be.

We started badly, but over the last 5/6 games we are in top 4 form, so the massive overreactions we are witnessing on the forum, are bizarre to say the least.

My point was the gap between us and them was so big I didn't even know what league they were in.

Today, despite having the best squad in the league by a distance, the manager has refused to adapt and seems to see that as a badge of honour.

We're making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Truly impaired.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:18 - Oct 16 with 1139 viewsTooManyCooks

2 things to say after the game today on 19:05 - Oct 16 by ZXBlue

You dont have t shut up shop. What you do have to do is react to a changing game and get your team back on the front foot. Which you dont do by putting on three lightweight forward players and hoping for hte best.

100% agree and is pretty much what I said. I am very surprised by his comments regarding tactics and if I was CEO, I'd certainly be having a chat with him about it, even if it wasn't to advise him to get a plan B, at the very least you'd not want him top announce to the fans and other teams in the league that we are a one trick pony.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:24 - Oct 16 with 1086 viewsN2_Blue

You're right....one too many at the moment!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

2 things to say after the game today on 19:26 - Oct 16 with 1078 viewsOldboy

We are just saying what we are seeing. Blinkered vision isn't doing you any favours. I am not calling for a change of manager, just a change of results. Cook can still turn it around, just hope he can. Can totally appreciate people calling for his head though. Don't turn on our own fans, we all need each other in these times.
2 things to say after the game today on 19:30 - Oct 16 with 1043 viewsTooManyCooks

2 things to say after the game today on 19:18 - Oct 16 by J2BLUE

My point was the gap between us and them was so big I didn't even know what league they were in.

Today, despite having the best squad in the league by a distance, the manager has refused to adapt and seems to see that as a badge of honour.

We're making the same mistakes repeatedly.

Ok, I gotcha, I'm the same, I couldn't have told you what league they were in either. However, I have accepted for some time now that we are a bag of sh*te and could end up slipping a long way. The takeover has given me hope that slide will be arrested, but I am under no illusion how long it will take to get out of this league, there's no quick fix here.

Today is the first time I felt I was justified in questioning his tactical ability to alter the course of a game. The annoying part is that he says he recognises where the team is in terms of development, but he then contradicted that claim by showing a complete lack of understanding of what we needed to do to see the game out. Whatever way you look at it, it was one dimensional and wrong.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:33 - Oct 16 with 1020 viewsWicklowBlue

2 things to say after the game today on 19:18 - Oct 16 by TooManyCooks

100% agree and is pretty much what I said. I am very surprised by his comments regarding tactics and if I was CEO, I'd certainly be having a chat with him about it, even if it wasn't to advise him to get a plan B, at the very least you'd not want him top announce to the fans and other teams in the league that we are a one trick pony.

It has been well documented that Cook doesn't have a plan b, it's all about doing plan A better!

At the moment the only thing I'm clinging to is this:

You won't care by Pompey1234 17 Aug 2021 23:48
Cook really took his time to get his ideas over football over to pompey!
3 months in fact.
But when it did, we spanked teams home and away.
Stay with him and ride it out until it turns or slay him and get someone in who either doesn't fancy your players and wants his own or can not do it any better.
Splash the cash but you're still behind.
Pompey had cowley for the last 12 games last season, so he knew who he didn't want, wanted to keep and what new players he wanted.
He has played it brilliantly at pompey. 9 from 9 and never really looked like Co ceding so far. Beat what's in front of you
We won't stay there but he is building.
All those clichés, don't run before you can walk Etal. They ring true. Ipswich have really been a costume of somebody real, it doesn't happen overnight.its a long season, stay with him

2 things to say after the game today on 19:35 - Oct 16 with 1004 viewsFtnfwest

2 things to say after the game today on 19:02 - Oct 16 by gazzer1999

Cambridge United, just let that sink in for a minute. We just about managed a point and was getting bullied off the pitch. Corporal Jones would have a saying for us...................... answers on a post card.

Same thing happened30 years ago, nothing new
2 things to say after the game today on 19:43 - Oct 16 with 958 viewsTooManyCooks

2 things to say after the game today on 19:33 - Oct 16 by WicklowBlue

It has been well documented that Cook doesn't have a plan b, it's all about doing plan A better!

At the moment the only thing I'm clinging to is this:

You won't care by Pompey1234 17 Aug 2021 23:48
Cook really took his time to get his ideas over football over to pompey!
3 months in fact.
But when it did, we spanked teams home and away.
Stay with him and ride it out until it turns or slay him and get someone in who either doesn't fancy your players and wants his own or can not do it any better.
Splash the cash but you're still behind.
Pompey had cowley for the last 12 games last season, so he knew who he didn't want, wanted to keep and what new players he wanted.
He has played it brilliantly at pompey. 9 from 9 and never really looked like Co ceding so far. Beat what's in front of you
We won't stay there but he is building.
All those clichés, don't run before you can walk Etal. They ring true. Ipswich have really been a costume of somebody real, it doesn't happen overnight.its a long season, stay with him

I think we'll get there, I really do, but we have not reached that point yet and IMO there's no harm in being dynamic and adapting to the levels at which we are performing along the way, PC obviously feels differently, which is frustrating, bit if we get where we want to be eventually, then so be it. I prefer to do things smart, rather than hard.

2 things to say after the game today on 19:59 - Oct 16 with 904 viewsWicklowBlue

2 things to say after the game today on 19:43 - Oct 16 by TooManyCooks

I think we'll get there, I really do, but we have not reached that point yet and IMO there's no harm in being dynamic and adapting to the levels at which we are performing along the way, PC obviously feels differently, which is frustrating, bit if we get where we want to be eventually, then so be it. I prefer to do things smart, rather than hard.

Obviously the key thing needing to be addressed is the defence and conceding crap goals. As Joe said in another thread it's a systems problem, and drilling an understanding into players as to what they need to do in different circumstances.

I'm not Cook out yet, since the Bolton debacle I think we are seeing some improvements but this fragility after getting into a winning position is concerning. Along with fading into the second half.

If we want a dynamic manager who changes formations, style during the game Cook just isn't that. Didn't Lambo do this and how did it go, think at our level that just confuses things more?

I think we are all super p!ssed we drew a game that we should have won which I am too. How we show up for the next 2 games is crucial.
2 things to say after the game today on 20:13 - Oct 16 with 852 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Drawing away to Cambridge after leading 2-0 is piss poor.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

2 things to say after the game today on 20:36 - Oct 16 with 772 viewsHARRY10

2 things to say after the game today on 19:13 - Oct 16 by TooManyCooks

And a huge number defended Evans right to the bitter end - which is a measure of the self delusion some of our lot have

And this magnificent run of 5/6 games was against teams outside of the top ten, the one that wasn't we drew.

So what part of the damage that affects on field play cannot be reversed in months. ?

We have a new manager, new coaches a whole new squad.... pretty much everything is new, and at the standard we were told would walk the league.

What is it precisely that we are not doing, other than winning enough games ? Why were we not told that it would take more than a few minths ?
2 things to say after the game today on 20:58 - Oct 16 with 680 viewsGarv

2 things to say after the game today on 19:00 - Oct 16 by chicoazul

Evans a key player? I like him but really?

El Mizouni played well today and I hope he keeps his place.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

2 things to say after the game today on 21:04 - Oct 16 with 656 viewsjontysnut

2 things to say after the game today on 20:13 - Oct 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Drawing away to Cambridge after leading 2-0 is piss poor.

Miles Davis said that if you play a bum note it's the next note that can make it good or bad. Win the next one then we carry on; lose and we might as well give up the trumpet.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024