Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook in? Cook out? 11:09 - Oct 17 with 474 viewsRomeo4

Firstly, please forgive the ramblings of this occasional poster. I haven’t been able to bring myself to read much in this forum since 5pm yesterday. These results seem to hit me harder these days than ever before. I think the phrase “it’s the hope that kills you” is pertinent here!

I may be accused of some fence-sitting here but I’m torn currently.

I make no secret of the fact that I wanted Cook here from the outset. I still think his credentials make him the outstanding candidate.

However with every poor result and unconvincing performance I am moving from holding a ‘belief’ that things will click to more of a ‘hope’ that it will.

Case for the prosecution:
- We are so fragile. Evidenced by our inability to hold on to leads.
- Linked to this, our game management is really poor. And this in spite of having a vastly experienced manager, a highly rated captain and some of the brightest talent at this level
- The manager seems so unable/unwilling to flex his tactical approach even when it is clear that momentum is swinging against us (not unique to him though. See Mick Mc as another exponent of this stubbornness)
- I know there’s plenty of games to go but with every dropped point we are falling further down the mountain we are trying to climb

Case for the defence:
- We are free scoring (something we haven’t been for years) and it is so much more entertaining to watch. We mustn’t forget the last few years of turning up to PR to games when literally nothing would get us out of our seats.
- the players we’ve brought in seem to have excellent attitudes and seem very committed to the club and community alike
- Cook has so much more about him than the last few managers. He’s a decent man, a football man who speaks honestly and seems to understand the plight of the fans.
- We’ve invested so much in this project and much of it seems reliant on Cook. The risk involved in sacking him is pretty big in that it may require another overhaul of the playing and coaching staff.
- An early shift in direction could also undermine the fans’ faith in our new ownership
- There is no guarantee that a different manager would perform any better

My verdict:
- The best ‘hope’ we have is to stick with Cook and hope that things come good over the next month or so and we see some consistency in our performances. We need to be able to trust this group of players and their manager that we will not be such a soft touch. Upcoming tough away games may help to demonstrate this. They could obviously further highlight our ongoing frailties.

The bottom line is us fans deserve to see some success at this club. Cook in? Cook out? There is risk attached to both of these. Time will tell I guess. But as of today I think we need to give Cook more time as the alternative is also so uncertain. How much time we give him I’m not sure. I think we’ll know a lot more about the substance of this team over the next month.

I really hope Cook repays my early belief and ongoing hope in him. Please, please make it happen.

COYB!

Cook in? Cook out? on 12:09 - Oct 17 with 395 viewsFBI

This is by far the most reasoned and balanced take on the season that I've seen so far and pretty much reflects my thoughts. I want Cook to succeed: he's clearly a manager with a great track record but something isn't quite clicking at the moment as the resilience isn't there.

But I don't think we can level all the fault at him. Much as I'm sure he'd love to kick every ball, there are 11 players out there (discounting subs) with an hour and a half each to win a game of football. What is it that stops them doing it? It's not lack of talent, I don't think it's motivation either, so is there a psychological issue at hand?

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Cook in? Cook out? on 16:11 - Oct 17 with 297 viewsRomeo4

Cook in? Cook out? on 12:09 - Oct 17 by FBI

This is by far the most reasoned and balanced take on the season that I've seen so far and pretty much reflects my thoughts. I want Cook to succeed: he's clearly a manager with a great track record but something isn't quite clicking at the moment as the resilience isn't there.

But I don't think we can level all the fault at him. Much as I'm sure he'd love to kick every ball, there are 11 players out there (discounting subs) with an hour and a half each to win a game of football. What is it that stops them doing it? It's not lack of talent, I don't think it's motivation either, so is there a psychological issue at hand?

It is a little mystifying that we have changed almost all of the personnel at the club and yet we still seem to suffer from the same frail mentality. Perhaps there is a curse!?!
Cook in? Cook out? on 16:21 - Oct 17 with 281 viewsKeaneish

No brainer, it’s 1 defeat in 6. He’s most definitely in and good luck to him. Full support ahead.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Cook in? Cook out? on 16:29 - Oct 17 with 267 viewsWickets

Cook in? Cook out? on 16:21 - Oct 17 by Keaneish

No brainer, it’s 1 defeat in 6. He’s most definitely in and good luck to him. Full support ahead.

Yes any talk of a change at the moment is just wrong although the season will be judged as a whole maybe in January or maybe at the end . Just a big worry 18 points lost from winning positions and same mistakes keep on coming .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024