Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School absences - bit of a weird one 10:41 - Oct 18 with 5122 viewsitfcjoe

My youngest tested positive for Covid last week and due to the current rules my eldest wasn't allowed to go to school for 3 days and then had to have a PCR test before he returns.

So he could go back to school today, but my wife doesn't work Monday or Tuesday so we thought it made more sense to keep him off until Wednesday to ensure he doesn't have a positive test as well (so far so good)

But the school phoned this morning, and said that because I had taken him to football on Saturday (which I didn't) that because he wasn't isolating that this was now an unauthorised absence.

It turns out that someone from the school has checked my Instagram page, and saw that I'd taken him down to Portman Road on Saturday morning to get a new shirt and we had a wander around the ground.

He doesn't legally need to isolate, as I don't, and we are testing every morning so I have no guilt on this - just seems very off from the school to be checking my social media, and then putting a black mark against his name when all we are doing is trying to take the sensible route because of how our childcare arrangements are and allows him to have an extra 2 days to ensure not infected.

He's only in reception, is it normal for schools to be like this?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:20 - Oct 18 with 1094 viewswkj

School absences - bit of a weird one on 11:44 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

I get that schools have a tough job at the moment - but a one size fits all approach to around covid is just not going to work.

Some people will use it as an excuse to swing the lead, which I'm sure is frustrating for schools.

But last week we had a letter because it is so rife in the area here that siblings now have to isolate for 3 days (which wasn't previously the case) at certain schools.

At Kesgrave, which this is a feeder school for, they PCR tested every single person on site last week to try and stop it spreading and some classes had half the students missing afterwards.

That seems like exceptional due diligence from the school. Schools and businesses have to conduct risk assessments for contingency planning - tailoring each action around specific cases is not something schools have enough time or resources for.

Individuals such as yourself may make decisions on your own assessment of the situation, but I have to say I am very much on the side of the school for this one.

At the end of the day, you are a high-risk family for the school. So taking your kid out on Saturday can easily be perceived as 'having it on' with the absence. Of course, you know what the truth of that situation is, but they have a policy to be consistent as they can - and have executed an action based on their policies.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:25]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:21 - Oct 18 with 1094 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:11 - Oct 18 by davblue

Social media for whatever reason seems to bring out the worst in some people.

You haven't done anything wrong, so that's the main thing for you personally. Just keep those things private in the future for your sake and to stop the bother i guess.

I also guess with you being on the Pod and being visible on Twitter makes you a target for people who don't like your posts or comments on the pod. Maybe it was the Mick tweet that triggered it?

Mick does seem to trigger a lot of people so more than likely!

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:25 - Oct 18 with 1073 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:20 - Oct 18 by wkj

That seems like exceptional due diligence from the school. Schools and businesses have to conduct risk assessments for contingency planning - tailoring each action around specific cases is not something schools have enough time or resources for.

Individuals such as yourself may make decisions on your own assessment of the situation, but I have to say I am very much on the side of the school for this one.

At the end of the day, you are a high-risk family for the school. So taking your kid out on Saturday can easily be perceived as 'having it on' with the absence. Of course, you know what the truth of that situation is, but they have a policy to be consistent as they can - and have executed an action based on their policies.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:25]

Surely it is more due diligence to check social media of parents and jump to conclusions about it rather than having honest conversations about it?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:29 - Oct 18 with 1057 viewswkj

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:25 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Surely it is more due diligence to check social media of parents and jump to conclusions about it rather than having honest conversations about it?

A fair few people aren't being honest around covid Joe, not saying you're one of them - but there are an uncomfortable level of people out there who can't have an honest conversation about it.

The school has a duty of care that encompasses the lives of hundreds of students, staff and vendors - so the risk assessment and policies have to factor dishonesty into the mix.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:33]

Crybaby

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:34 - Oct 18 with 1034 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:29 - Oct 18 by wkj

A fair few people aren't being honest around covid Joe, not saying you're one of them - but there are an uncomfortable level of people out there who can't have an honest conversation about it.

The school has a duty of care that encompasses the lives of hundreds of students, staff and vendors - so the risk assessment and policies have to factor dishonesty into the mix.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:33]

I do get and understand that, but the picture of him 'going to the football' was, quite literally, a photo of him at the Sir Bob statue which is where the covid testing centre is and covers the whole backdrop of the photo. There was another photo in front of Sir Alf statue, and then one of him at home in a new ITFC shirt.

If I were to jump to a conclusion about it - it wouldn't be he 'went to the football' when pictured outside a ground that didn't host a football match this weekend.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 1011 viewswkj

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:34 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

I do get and understand that, but the picture of him 'going to the football' was, quite literally, a photo of him at the Sir Bob statue which is where the covid testing centre is and covers the whole backdrop of the photo. There was another photo in front of Sir Alf statue, and then one of him at home in a new ITFC shirt.

If I were to jump to a conclusion about it - it wouldn't be he 'went to the football' when pictured outside a ground that didn't host a football match this weekend.

It is an easy assumption to make that your time out on Saturday was a social engagement in part. Yes, you didn't go to the match with him (gold star for smarts), though it was a social engagement sandwiched between days off at school. The black and white of that turns into an unauthorised absence.

Howerver, if the purpose was to have a covid test and you have a record of it - that is a conversation to be had if you appeal against the decision.

Crybaby

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:49 - Oct 18 with 999 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:43 - Oct 18 by wkj

It is an easy assumption to make that your time out on Saturday was a social engagement in part. Yes, you didn't go to the match with him (gold star for smarts), though it was a social engagement sandwiched between days off at school. The black and white of that turns into an unauthorised absence.

Howerver, if the purpose was to have a covid test and you have a record of it - that is a conversation to be had if you appeal against the decision.

I'm not going to be appealing it as is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, just very frustrating to have a black mark against someone a few weeks into their schooling when we are doing what was the most sensible option.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:49]

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:52 - Oct 18 with 981 viewswkj

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:49 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

I'm not going to be appealing it as is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, just very frustrating to have a black mark against someone a few weeks into their schooling when we are doing what was the most sensible option.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:49]

Pleanty of lessons to learn by the sounds of it - social media privacy settings might be due a review. Sadly the government has not made social media off limits for anyone to check when making decisions like these - even to the point it is acceptable to search people up on Social Media when hiring.

With social media we dangle the carrots - but if the account is public, then we can't control the rabbits that eat them.

Edit: The most sensible option for you isn't necessarily the most sensible option in the eyes of others/the school
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:55]

Crybaby

Login to get fewer ads

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:56 - Oct 18 with 957 viewsZXBlue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:25 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

What conclusion was jumped to?

Child is either supposed to isolate or not.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:11 - Oct 18 with 933 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:56 - Oct 18 by ZXBlue

What conclusion was jumped to?

Child is either supposed to isolate or not.

He wasn’t supposed to be isolating, he was off as a precaution due to his brother having it as per the rules

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:12 - Oct 18 with 932 viewsButterbing

Yes, it is normal for schools to be like this. They have attendance targets which can affect funding. They therefore set reasonable rules and expect you to abide by them. Clearly, taking an extra two days off this week might make sense to you but as there is no good reason for it then you will be marked down as an unauthorised absence. To be honest, I can't see any reasonable excuse for him to not be at school. If he was supposed to be in school today then he should be there. Whining on here is not going to change the fact you are legally required to take your child to school.

Oh, and maybe learn about privacy settings on social media.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:16 - Oct 18 with 908 viewswkj

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:12 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Yes, it is normal for schools to be like this. They have attendance targets which can affect funding. They therefore set reasonable rules and expect you to abide by them. Clearly, taking an extra two days off this week might make sense to you but as there is no good reason for it then you will be marked down as an unauthorised absence. To be honest, I can't see any reasonable excuse for him to not be at school. If he was supposed to be in school today then he should be there. Whining on here is not going to change the fact you are legally required to take your child to school.

Lovely to see you again butterbing, I hope you're well.

Crybaby

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:21 - Oct 18 with 896 viewsCBBlue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:52 - Oct 18 by wkj

Pleanty of lessons to learn by the sounds of it - social media privacy settings might be due a review. Sadly the government has not made social media off limits for anyone to check when making decisions like these - even to the point it is acceptable to search people up on Social Media when hiring.

With social media we dangle the carrots - but if the account is public, then we can't control the rabbits that eat them.

Edit: The most sensible option for you isn't necessarily the most sensible option in the eyes of others/the school
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:55]

One lesson to learn - in future save the hassle and say he's off with a sickness bug*

*not condoning this but frequently done by some to avoid unauthorised absences.

Poll: School on Monday - are you sending in your R, Y1 or Y6 kids?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:31 - Oct 18 with 876 viewsitfcjoe

We were allowed to send him to school on the day his brother tested positive, it is only advised to keep them off for 3 days.

His brother tested positive on Thursday, so when does three days start and end? The day of the test, the next day? Because the rules, or guidance as you can still send them in, aren’t clear on this.

Surely a ‘reasonable excuse’ is that he may have a highly contagious virus and sending him into a classroom full of kids isn’t ideal. Bearing in mind if this was a few months ago he’d have had to isolate for 2 full weeks.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:36 - Oct 18 with 861 viewshype313

Not for Reception though.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:37 - Oct 18 with 860 viewsdavblue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 12:21 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Mick does seem to trigger a lot of people so more than likely!

Best you go and get a 'Mick Out' tattoo and get it all over twitter.

All of your trouble will go away!
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:48 - Oct 18 with 845 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:31 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

We were allowed to send him to school on the day his brother tested positive, it is only advised to keep them off for 3 days.

His brother tested positive on Thursday, so when does three days start and end? The day of the test, the next day? Because the rules, or guidance as you can still send them in, aren’t clear on this.

Surely a ‘reasonable excuse’ is that he may have a highly contagious virus and sending him into a classroom full of kids isn’t ideal. Bearing in mind if this was a few months ago he’d have had to isolate for 2 full weeks.

If the policy is not clear then I would suggest you discuss it with the school. However, I would expect they will be very willing and able to direct you to where and when they informed you of the policy.

At the end of the day you didn't send your child in when you should have done so. You made that decision despite it not being the school policy as it "made sense" to you. That is still an unauthorised absence. This is how schools work, they have objective policies and you acted against it.

It doesn't really matter what was happening a few months ago. The guidelines are no longer that they have to isolate for two weeks. If he has no symptoms and no positive test then he should be in school (unless your school has any other policies which yours seemingly does with the three day rule).
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:51 - Oct 18 with 836 viewsMookamoo

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:21 - Oct 18 by CBBlue

One lesson to learn - in future save the hassle and say he's off with a sickness bug*

*not condoning this but frequently done by some to avoid unauthorised absences.

Be a bit more ambiguous - just feeling unwell or a headache is enough. Some schools require a minimum of 3 days off for sickness and diarrhoea. Its a game you have to play sometimes.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:51 - Oct 18 with 829 viewsZXBlue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:11 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

He wasn’t supposed to be isolating, he was off as a precaution due to his brother having it as per the rules

Its one or the other.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:53 - Oct 18 with 825 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:48 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

If the policy is not clear then I would suggest you discuss it with the school. However, I would expect they will be very willing and able to direct you to where and when they informed you of the policy.

At the end of the day you didn't send your child in when you should have done so. You made that decision despite it not being the school policy as it "made sense" to you. That is still an unauthorised absence. This is how schools work, they have objective policies and you acted against it.

It doesn't really matter what was happening a few months ago. The guidelines are no longer that they have to isolate for two weeks. If he has no symptoms and no positive test then he should be in school (unless your school has any other policies which yours seemingly does with the three day rule).

Does:

“ Suffolk’s children and young people aged between 4 and 18 years (unless exempt - see below) are now advised to stay at home when a sibling they live with, who attends an education setting with an outbreak tests positive for COVID-19.”

Sound like an objective policy? Surely the word ‘advised’ in there makes it subjective straight away?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:59 - Oct 18 with 806 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:53 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Does:

“ Suffolk’s children and young people aged between 4 and 18 years (unless exempt - see below) are now advised to stay at home when a sibling they live with, who attends an education setting with an outbreak tests positive for COVID-19.”

Sound like an objective policy? Surely the word ‘advised’ in there makes it subjective straight away?

That quote looks like regional guidelines and not the school's own policy. Have you tried looking at the school's website or actually phoning the school?

I tend to find the school office to be a much more reliable source of information than a football forum.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:00 - Oct 18 with 808 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Does:

"...but take them shopping and risk transmitting to the staff members, who can take it home and give it to their own children by all means"

Corrected it for you.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:02 - Oct 18 with 791 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:00 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

"...but take them shopping and risk transmitting to the staff members, who can take it home and give it to their own children by all means"

Corrected it for you.

Is there anything in there about keeping them off for a couple of days extra if the wife is off work and can't be @rsed with the school run?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:02 - Oct 18 with 793 viewswkj

Does:

Don't forget though, you then took your child out socially, and then arranged for him to be off due to something that happened the previous week that existed before the social outing. By that logic, the absence after Satuday didn't apply to the conditions of the absence of last week.

The black and white of it is that these are being treated as two separate absences.

I'm not necessarily trying to say you were wrong for the decisions you made - the choices you make as a parent are entirely your own business, but I am saying that the school is correct to treat these as separate spells of absence given the circumstances.

If you are convinced otherwise, you should appeal - even if they refuse to overturn the absence, they may provide more clarity to how their policies are designed to work.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:04]

Crybaby

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:05 - Oct 18 with 782 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:00 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Corrected it for you.

You’re proper up your own arse on this aren’t you?

It’s not a good look criticising someone’s decisions so blatantly.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024