Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
School absences - bit of a weird one 10:41 - Oct 18 with 5119 viewsitfcjoe

My youngest tested positive for Covid last week and due to the current rules my eldest wasn't allowed to go to school for 3 days and then had to have a PCR test before he returns.

So he could go back to school today, but my wife doesn't work Monday or Tuesday so we thought it made more sense to keep him off until Wednesday to ensure he doesn't have a positive test as well (so far so good)

But the school phoned this morning, and said that because I had taken him to football on Saturday (which I didn't) that because he wasn't isolating that this was now an unauthorised absence.

It turns out that someone from the school has checked my Instagram page, and saw that I'd taken him down to Portman Road on Saturday morning to get a new shirt and we had a wander around the ground.

He doesn't legally need to isolate, as I don't, and we are testing every morning so I have no guilt on this - just seems very off from the school to be checking my social media, and then putting a black mark against his name when all we are doing is trying to take the sensible route because of how our childcare arrangements are and allows him to have an extra 2 days to ensure not infected.

He's only in reception, is it normal for schools to be like this?!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:17 - Oct 18 with 899 viewsXYZ

Whilst some schools may go over-the-top, they are being put under pressure from central government to be strict on covid-related absences.

Not being seen to enforce absence policies is seen as condoning truancy, which can then be used to finish careers through disciplinary processes.

Keep the schools full, spread the virus and blame the teachers.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:31 - Oct 18 with 872 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 13:36 - Oct 18 by hype313

Not for Reception though.

Just to clarify this. They legally must be in school from the term after their 5th birthday. So, you are probably right depending on the age of his kid but not definitely.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:34 - Oct 18 with 867 viewsquad

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:02 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Is there anything in there about keeping them off for a couple of days extra if the wife is off work and can't be @rsed with the school run?

Or maybe she just thought it would make sense to let him stay off for an extra couple of days to be on the safe side as a precaution to minimise the risk.

Whether or not that goes against the school policy or not is irrelevant. If they want to blackmark your kid they can, so what? You do what you think is best for your own kids as a parent.

We're talking about a kid who is in reception for goodness sake. Get real... what gives you the licence to lecture others? Who made you the Covid Police?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:51 - Oct 18 with 843 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:02 - Oct 18 by wkj

Don't forget though, you then took your child out socially, and then arranged for him to be off due to something that happened the previous week that existed before the social outing. By that logic, the absence after Satuday didn't apply to the conditions of the absence of last week.

The black and white of it is that these are being treated as two separate absences.

I'm not necessarily trying to say you were wrong for the decisions you made - the choices you make as a parent are entirely your own business, but I am saying that the school is correct to treat these as separate spells of absence given the circumstances.

If you are convinced otherwise, you should appeal - even if they refuse to overturn the absence, they may provide more clarity to how their policies are designed to work.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:04]

What's the point of creating more work for people over it? And the end of the day it isn't a big deal as he is in reception - I just felt it was wrong - when the reality is we felt not sticking a class room full of kids for 7 hours might not be the best idea if it could be avoided for an extra couple of days.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:52 - Oct 18 with 841 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:05 - Oct 18 by The_Romford_Blue

You’re proper up your own arse on this aren’t you?

It’s not a good look criticising someone’s decisions so blatantly.

The bloke is clearly just a w@nker

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:55 - Oct 18 with 827 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:52 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Why the abuse?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:56 - Oct 18 with 824 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Very possibly yes, although I have been frequently called worse.

Risking the lives of others though, that's where I tend to draw the line. That and bleat about it after.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:57 - Oct 18 with 822 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:55 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Why the abuse?

This is Joe, the social media king. He does what he likes, as this thread has shown.
Login to get fewer ads

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:58 - Oct 18 with 812 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:56 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Very possibly yes, although I have been frequently called worse.

Risking the lives of others though, that's where I tend to draw the line. That and bleat about it after.

Hang on - you are saying that my family should totally isolate for 2 weeks and he is saying that there is no 'reasonable excuse' that my son didn't go to school a few days after his brother tested positive?

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:00 - Oct 18 with 795 viewsquad

Agreed. I'm f**king sick of people like this.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:00 - Oct 18 with 798 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:55 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Why the abuse?

Because you were abusive about my wife and her decision making with regards to how she is parenting my children

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:03 - Oct 18 with 775 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:58 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Hang on - you are saying that my family should totally isolate for 2 weeks and he is saying that there is no 'reasonable excuse' that my son didn't go to school a few days after his brother tested positive?

I took exception that having a positive test in your home you took the decision to possibly pass that to others, who through no fault of their own, came into direct contact with you and your son.

A weekend of isolation at the very least would have been acceptable, with regular testing would have allowed you to quite rightly taken your children from the school setting for as long as you saw fit in the week that followed.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:06 - Oct 18 with 759 viewsquad

School absences - bit of a weird one on 14:57 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

This is Joe, the social media king. He does what he likes, as this thread has shown.

You clearly do what you like, as this thread has shown. What gives you the right to criticise Joe and make sarcastic comments about his wife's decisions?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:09 - Oct 18 with 751 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:00 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Because you were abusive about my wife and her decision making with regards to how she is parenting my children

Maybe if you don’t want people to comment on your decisions don’t post them on here.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:11 - Oct 18 with 744 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:06 - Oct 18 by quad

You clearly do what you like, as this thread has shown. What gives you the right to criticise Joe and make sarcastic comments about his wife's decisions?

Perhaps not posting a public forum would stop these things from happening. What do you think?
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:18 - Oct 18 with 724 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:09 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Maybe if you don’t want people to comment on your decisions don’t post them on here.

And if you don't want to receive abuse, don't dish it out

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:22 - Oct 18 with 711 viewsquad

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:11 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

Perhaps not posting a public forum would stop these things from happening. What do you think?

Fair comment. I guess it was obvious that some people were not going to agree with it.

I still think everybody should still wear masks in shops though. Doesn't make it happen and nobody is going against the "rules" if they don't.

Each to their own.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:23 - Oct 18 with 709 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:18 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

And if you don't want to receive abuse, don't dish it out

I’m not sure I really care. You carry on.

Edit. I began this by attempting to offer some actual answers to your question regarding the school. It is totally normal that you will get these issues if you do not follow the school’s policies. Considering that you are likely to have children in school for the foreseeable future you may want to find out how the system works or you will just be battling against it.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:28]
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:28 - Oct 18 with 696 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:22 - Oct 18 by quad

Fair comment. I guess it was obvious that some people were not going to agree with it.

I still think everybody should still wear masks in shops though. Doesn't make it happen and nobody is going against the "rules" if they don't.

Each to their own.

It’s a tricky one. I do agree that the school should not take social media into their decision making, however I also think they need to justify each and every absence for the reasons highlighted here.

Had I been in the store with my kids at the same time I would have been disappointed and annoyed I guess, however I have droned on enough for now so let’s leave it there.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:31 - Oct 18 with 689 viewsquad

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:03 - Oct 18 by BlueBlueBluex2

I took exception that having a positive test in your home you took the decision to possibly pass that to others, who through no fault of their own, came into direct contact with you and your son.

A weekend of isolation at the very least would have been acceptable, with regular testing would have allowed you to quite rightly taken your children from the school setting for as long as you saw fit in the week that followed.

I can kind of see your point on this. But in Joe's defence he did say that him and his family have been regularly testing negative every day.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:37 - Oct 18 with 673 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:31 - Oct 18 by quad

I can kind of see your point on this. But in Joe's defence he did say that him and his family have been regularly testing negative every day.

Hate to stoke the hornets nest. However, just pointing out a contradiction. Safe for shops but not safe for school? Personally I would have stayed at home the whole time if I felt I didn’t want to risk others. I guess the school felt similar.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:41 - Oct 18 with 656 viewsZXBlue

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:37 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

Hate to stoke the hornets nest. However, just pointing out a contradiction. Safe for shops but not safe for school? Personally I would have stayed at home the whole time if I felt I didn’t want to risk others. I guess the school felt similar.

Precisely the issue here.
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:48 - Oct 18 with 643 viewsitfcjoe

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:37 - Oct 18 by Butterbing

He had no need to isolate legally, we went out for a bit on Saturday morning as he'd been trapped in the house for a few days - we'd tested before we went out and just had a quick trip out to a relatively empty shop.

I wanted him to go back to school today as don't want him missing out on things, my wife said that for the sake of an extra couple of days it lessens the risk of him taking it back there and she is at home not working so felt better to do it that way - it's impossible to isolate him from my 2 year old.

We hadn't taken him to his tennis lessons and swimming lessons over the weekend as felt they would be longer exposures with other children. He missed a birthday party yesterday for the same reason I felt that a few minutes in a shop was no big deal, considering he has no symptoms and hasn't tested positive.

With school, whilst it was no real hassle to keep him off for an extra couple of days it seemed sensible to do so rather than be in close contact with 25 kids and 2 teachers. I'm now in the situation where I have had to take him for a PCR test and he has to go back to school in the morning whether we have had the results back or not.

When we get the results back, we are under no obligation to pass these onto the school for GDPR rules - they just have to take our word he is fine. If we get the results back tomorrow lunchtime and he is positive we will then presumably have to go and collect him from school rather than have another unauthorised absence.

When we have had 'covid scares' for my kids at nurseries, they are not allowed back there until they have seen evidence of a clear PCR test, which seems more sensible.

There has been no benefit for us in having him off school two days longer, it was purely done to try and limit community infection - that people equate popping to the shop for a few minutes as the same as a day at school is a bit mad.

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:55 - Oct 18 with 627 viewsButterbing

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:48 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

He had no need to isolate legally, we went out for a bit on Saturday morning as he'd been trapped in the house for a few days - we'd tested before we went out and just had a quick trip out to a relatively empty shop.

I wanted him to go back to school today as don't want him missing out on things, my wife said that for the sake of an extra couple of days it lessens the risk of him taking it back there and she is at home not working so felt better to do it that way - it's impossible to isolate him from my 2 year old.

We hadn't taken him to his tennis lessons and swimming lessons over the weekend as felt they would be longer exposures with other children. He missed a birthday party yesterday for the same reason I felt that a few minutes in a shop was no big deal, considering he has no symptoms and hasn't tested positive.

With school, whilst it was no real hassle to keep him off for an extra couple of days it seemed sensible to do so rather than be in close contact with 25 kids and 2 teachers. I'm now in the situation where I have had to take him for a PCR test and he has to go back to school in the morning whether we have had the results back or not.

When we get the results back, we are under no obligation to pass these onto the school for GDPR rules - they just have to take our word he is fine. If we get the results back tomorrow lunchtime and he is positive we will then presumably have to go and collect him from school rather than have another unauthorised absence.

When we have had 'covid scares' for my kids at nurseries, they are not allowed back there until they have seen evidence of a clear PCR test, which seems more sensible.

There has been no benefit for us in having him off school two days longer, it was purely done to try and limit community infection - that people equate popping to the shop for a few minutes as the same as a day at school is a bit mad.

I get it. Schools are frustrating as hell. You will get things like this where you have to do something you don’t necessarily agree with or take the (in this case pointless) consequences. Unfortunately, in my experience you get used to the way schools work (very different to nurseries) over time and learn ways round it.

I found it quite difficult at first as before school started we just had to do what we thought best without considering anybody else. However, they start school and you have to justify your decisions to others.

Thankfully they are not fining you (which would be way out of line but I have heard of it). The unauthorised absence won’t mean much so probably best just to forget it exists and move on.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:56]
School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:56 - Oct 18 with 625 viewshype313

School absences - bit of a weird one on 15:48 - Oct 18 by itfcjoe

Just to add to School nonsense, it was school photo day today, one son in Yr 2 and youngest in Reception, we were told due to covid they couldn't have a picture together, even though they live together and sleep in the same room.

Absolute madness.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024