Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Think this forum needs to be closed down 12:30 - Oct 18 with 4076 viewsTractorBoyOlly

#BeKind and mental health pandemic lost on a lot of you. The vitriol spouted at our manager who has only been in a job since March. We’re better than that. What do you actually want? A Watford approach?

Cue the downvotes but I don’t care.

Poll: Final points total?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:31 - Oct 18 with 2387 viewsBluefish

Ummm.....ok

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:32 - Oct 18 with 2395 viewshoppy

Is the correct response: "You ok hun? x"

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:33 - Oct 18 with 2382 viewsjayessess

I've seen a fair bit of criticism, but can you point me towards "vitriol"? I've seen no abuse and a lot of the criticism is leavened with assertions that he seems a nice guy.

With Cook's record it certainly isn't just Watford where his job would be in jeopardy right now.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 with 2332 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:33 - Oct 18 by jayessess

I've seen a fair bit of criticism, but can you point me towards "vitriol"? I've seen no abuse and a lot of the criticism is leavened with assertions that he seems a nice guy.

With Cook's record it certainly isn't just Watford where his job would be in jeopardy right now.

It’s just the constant hounding out of managers. It’s as if some get a kick out of misfortune

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 with 2323 viewswkj

My question is how well can you differentiate between vitriol and discontent?

Yes, some people are going to silly levels with it, but a lot more people are asking/posing serious questions about where we are and how well Cook has done.

Shutting the forum down as a response to this is a rather silly suggestion in my opinion, because if you look at mainstream social media - it's a LOT worse.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 with 2328 viewsFixed_It

No. I don't want the Forum to be closed down. But the vitriol is unnecessary. I get the frustrations - I feel them as much as anybody. But the anger and bile that appears after a poor result (especially in the minutes after the final whistle) really don't put the perpetrators in a very good light. I am sure most of them are nice people - but social media does strange things to individuals.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:39 - Oct 18 with 2302 viewsIllinoisblue

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 by TractorBoyOlly

It’s just the constant hounding out of managers. It’s as if some get a kick out of misfortune

Yep, it’s definitely the fans fault. Ffs

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:39 - Oct 18 with 2282 viewsBluefish

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 by Fixed_It

No. I don't want the Forum to be closed down. But the vitriol is unnecessary. I get the frustrations - I feel them as much as anybody. But the anger and bile that appears after a poor result (especially in the minutes after the final whistle) really don't put the perpetrators in a very good light. I am sure most of them are nice people - but social media does strange things to individuals.

Can you show any examples?

Login to get fewer ads

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:42 - Oct 18 with 2276 viewsjayessess

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:37 - Oct 18 by TractorBoyOlly

There is no "constant hounding of managers". Despite our consistent decline, we've had just one manager (Hurst) in our recent history whose tenure wasn't massively longer than the league average. Cook's brought us to our lowest league position since 1957 and has been clapped onto the pitch at every single game. Cook himself said he'd been surprised at how the support for the club had held up.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 2262 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:39 - Oct 18 by Bluefish

You

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 2267 viewsTractorCam

I'm not sure using the "Watford approach" is such a dig when they've spent 6 out of the last 7 seasons in the Prem.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:43 - Oct 18 with 2247 viewsDubtractor

Well this is an odd post.

Linking people whining on here about our continual underperformance to mental health is a bit of a stretch tbh.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:44 - Oct 18 with 2234 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:42 - Oct 18 by jayessess

There is no "constant hounding of managers". Despite our consistent decline, we've had just one manager (Hurst) in our recent history whose tenure wasn't massively longer than the league average. Cook's brought us to our lowest league position since 1957 and has been clapped onto the pitch at every single game. Cook himself said he'd been surprised at how the support for the club had held up.

The support is there because of new ownership which creates interest after we were just surviving under Evans. Can’t blame cook for last season as he wasn’t there for the majority of it. It’s been a poor start but change overnight isn’t going to solve anything.

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:45 - Oct 18 with 2220 viewsIllinoisblue

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:42 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Don’t confuse olly with facts.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:45 - Oct 18 with 2179 viewsBluefish

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:43 - Oct 18 by TractorBoyOlly

You

That isn't an example.....unless that is supposed to be an example of abusing me?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 12:49]

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:46 - Oct 18 with 2183 viewshype313

I think the whole concept of the forum is lost on you if I'm honest.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:47 - Oct 18 with 2176 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:46 - Oct 18 by hype313

I think the whole concept of the forum is lost on you if I'm honest.

What to whinge and moan about something you can’t affect?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:47 - Oct 18 with 2188 viewshomer_123

I tried to engage with you on another thread the other day but no response.

I've not seen any 'vitriol' spouted at all:

noun
1. bitter criticism or malice.
"her mother's sudden gush of fury and vitriol"

I've seen lots of sensible discussion from people about his performance since he joined us, with posters on both sides generally discussing their views and opinions in a reasonably balanced way.

Where have you seen differently on this board?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:47 - Oct 18 with 2168 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:43 - Oct 18 by Dubtractor

Well this is an odd post.

Linking people whining on here about our continual underperformance to mental health is a bit of a stretch tbh.

We should close the forum, start playing behind closed doors and not publish the result of matches, just in case someone says losing to Cheltenham isn’t good enough

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:49 - Oct 18 with 2152 viewshype313

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:47 - Oct 18 by TractorBoyOlly

What to whinge and moan about something you can’t affect?

No, to have a discussion about our great club and the frustrations that come with it.

Don't think anyone has been personally abusive towards Cook, even Blubbers, whilst being vocal, hasn't resorted to abuse, he's outlined his concerns on the football side of things.

Again, I think the concept has been lost on you, or you are looking for things that aren't there.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:50 - Oct 18 with 2138 viewsDanTheMan

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:47 - Oct 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

We should close the forum, start playing behind closed doors and not publish the result of matches, just in case someone says losing to Cheltenham isn’t good enough

But then how will I moan that our fans are all awful brutes who are being very mean to nice Mr. Cook?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:51 - Oct 18 with 2124 viewshomer_123

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:44 - Oct 18 by TractorBoyOlly

The support is there because of new ownership which creates interest after we were just surviving under Evans. Can’t blame cook for last season as he wasn’t there for the majority of it. It’s been a poor start but change overnight isn’t going to solve anything.

Did he not preside over the back end of last season though? What we are seeing at the moment is a continuation of that but with the squad and backroom staff he has put together.

We see little game to game improvement - in fact, it's almost like we can now predict what Ipswich are going to do match to match and not in a good way.

I want him to succeed because, if he does, then Town succeed.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:56 - Oct 18 with 2087 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:51 - Oct 18 by homer_123

Did he not preside over the back end of last season though? What we are seeing at the moment is a continuation of that but with the squad and backroom staff he has put together.

We see little game to game improvement - in fact, it's almost like we can now predict what Ipswich are going to do match to match and not in a good way.

I want him to succeed because, if he does, then Town succeed.

Yes he did and got rid of the whole squad.

The ‘gelling’ theory is a bit of a stretch but it has some truth. We’ve only lost one of the last 7 and we are scoring goals for fun. Just need to become more hardened to pressure after scoring which will come. If it doesn’t then the time for a change will be evident but no point hounding a manager after 12 games.

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:56 - Oct 18 with 2079 viewsfab_lover

So, what does #BeKind actually mean ?

If we're talking about Covid, it's been around for over 18 months now and it's not going away any time soon. Any business still hiding behind Covid as an excuse for poor service needs to take a look at itself.

Yes, people should address others on social media as if they were face to face, and although some people might call others an arse, or whatever, face to face, they are thankfully rare.

My personal opinion is that in other clubs, a track record of 8 wins in 30 games, or is it 31, would lead to protests outside and inside the ground by supporters. That track record is frankly indefensible. One of my friends, a long time ITFC supporter who'd regularly use his leave to go to away games, doesn't do so anymore. For some, the position we're in and the way in which we haven't made any progress for season after season now is heart-breaking; for me personally, it's just sad, but for others this club is meant to be their one beacon of hope in an otherwise bleak world. Given that, I think the reactions here are 90% permissible, with only a few "idiots" taking it further than they should.

Saying this forum should be closed down is an incredible over-reaction. You can always not come on it; or mute those people whose posts you dislike. To quote from The Big Lebowski - "the world does not stop and start at your convenience" and I'll be kind and not complete that quotation...
Think this forum needs to be closed down on 13:05 - Oct 18 with 1994 viewsFixed_It

Think this forum needs to be closed down on 12:39 - Oct 18 by Bluefish

Of nice people? Give me a minute...

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024