Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner 14:26 - Oct 18 with 17257 viewsMaySixth

when we do win a game under Cook there can be no bandwagon jumping or changing their minds

no coming back now though for those who have nailed their colours to the mast

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:00 - Oct 18 with 1005 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:51 - Oct 18 by SuperCoops

What I find staggering is our support (maybe systematic of the Social Media era) is that people jump from one extreme to the other. There seems to be literally no middle ground.

Take the win over Doncaster, for example. Yes, it was a great result and a good performance. But people jumped to one extreme that "the corner is turned", "we're on the way up now" etc. Then we lose a game and it flies to the other end of the spectrum "Cook is useless", "we're rubbish" etc.

People just need to relax a little. One win doesn't mean we're world beaters, but likewise one defeat isn't the end of the world. People need to calm down, slow down and just find some middle ground.

As much as we want to win and go up, it's not going to happen overnight. With 20-odd new players, it's going to take a bit of time. Social Media is an an ass for this over-reaction.

I don't follow ITFC on social media but on here I've only seen a few people doing what you've said, very few in fact. Some went hard on the Donny game being a corner turned and then simply vanished for a while after the Accrington game. Others have gone quiet after wins and only piped up after poor results. I'd say the vast majority are in the middle but with some differences. Many of us are concerned at the lack of progress and the recurring issues across Cook's 30 games in charge despite having an entirely new squad. Some write off what happened last season and say it's too early to judge. At the extremes are some loons who would stick by Cook even if we ended the season in midtable and some who wanted him sacked yesterday. Most are at various points between those poles, despite attempts to simplify and polarise us into Inners and Outers.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:05]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:04 - Oct 18 with 996 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:51 - Oct 18 by SuperCoops

What I find staggering is our support (maybe systematic of the Social Media era) is that people jump from one extreme to the other. There seems to be literally no middle ground.

Take the win over Doncaster, for example. Yes, it was a great result and a good performance. But people jumped to one extreme that "the corner is turned", "we're on the way up now" etc. Then we lose a game and it flies to the other end of the spectrum "Cook is useless", "we're rubbish" etc.

People just need to relax a little. One win doesn't mean we're world beaters, but likewise one defeat isn't the end of the world. People need to calm down, slow down and just find some middle ground.

As much as we want to win and go up, it's not going to happen overnight. With 20-odd new players, it's going to take a bit of time. Social Media is an an ass for this over-reaction.

The wild swings are just a reflection of our league position, aren't they?

We're at our lowest ebb since the 1950s and until we get up the right end of the table, more or less every draw and defeat is going to be damn gloomy. Nevertheless, Football fans are enthusiasts and optimists by nature, so every win still heralds a new dawn.

The reaction to the wins is an over-reaction but it's natural (and good) that we feel that way. Meanwhile, the reaction to defeats isn't in fact an over-reaction at all, but an entirely appropriate reaction to the state we find ourselves in.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:05]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:04 - Oct 18 with 990 viewsdavblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:42 - Oct 18 by jayessess

For the record I don't think Cook's time is quite up, even if he's well and truly on the brink.

But, in general, I'm into judging what's in front of me, not foresight, not hindsight, but what I'm watching right now. Right now, it's going badly and Cook's job is in danger. If it starts going well, he won't be. Not that complicated is it?

Im not convinced he's on the brink.

He needs some good 90 minute performances though with a few result's. What is it, 1 loss in 7 there's enough to keep him going so far The next month is crucial for his future though a bad month and he's done and good one and things will be starting to look better.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:06 - Oct 18 with 977 viewsdavblue

the best one i heard after the 6-0 was 'we've declared war on league 1'
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:08 - Oct 18 with 970 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:04 - Oct 18 by davblue

He needs some good 90 minute performances though with a few result's. What is it, 1 loss in 7 there's enough to keep him going so far The next month is crucial for his future though a bad month and he's done and good one and things will be starting to look better.

One loss in six, we shouldn't be including reserve games in the pizza cup to make our stats look better. That's still an improvement but we've had home games against Donny and Shrewsbury within that run and we're unlikely to have two easier games than that all season.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:08 - Oct 18 with 971 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:04 - Oct 18 by davblue

One bad month away from the sack is pretty much "on the brink" isn't it?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:09 - Oct 18 with 962 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:37 - Oct 18 by The_Flashing_Smile

Have you seen Blubbers avatar? There are a few others - Burns7, TimmyYeo to name a couple. There's a few more but I can't remember their names.

like i said, no-one serious.

you'll always have a few people posting for effect and attention who'll take a polarised opinion (of cook-out-whatever-happens or cook-in-whatever-happens)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:10 - Oct 18 with 954 viewsdavblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:08 - Oct 18 by jayessess

One bad month away from the sack is pretty much "on the brink" isn't it?

7 games until 20th November more or less a month's time. No i don't think he's on the brink.
Login to get fewer ads

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:13 - Oct 18 with 942 viewsdavblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:08 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

One loss in six, we shouldn't be including reserve games in the pizza cup to make our stats look better. That's still an improvement but we've had home games against Donny and Shrewsbury within that run and we're unlikely to have two easier games than that all season.

it's a game we've played like all the others, so why wouldn't i include it? When people want to say he's won 8 in 28 or whatever it is that's fine then?

Im not defending him because we should be doing better and even in the one loss in 7 games there has been some worrying signs.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:15 - Oct 18 with 940 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:10 - Oct 18 by davblue

7 games until 20th November more or less a month's time. No i don't think he's on the brink.

If it's all losses, then I think it goes no further than 3 games.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:15 - Oct 18 with 939 viewsOldboy

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:10 - Oct 18 by davblue

Have you seen our fixtures up to the end of January?
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:17 - Oct 18 with 944 viewsSomethingBlue

Think most people would just be very happy to say they were wrong if it comes good under him, no reason for any further polarisation.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:19 - Oct 18 with 931 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:13 - Oct 18 by davblue

it's a game we've played like all the others, so why wouldn't i include it? When people want to say he's won 8 in 28 or whatever it is that's fine then?

Im not defending him because we should be doing better and even in the one loss in 7 games there has been some worrying signs.

I wouldn't include pizza cup games at all, they're meaningless fixtures and it's an embarrassment to the club that we have to play them. They have no real bearing on our league form, we get no points for them and we put out an entirely changed side in those games. I don't think including them as evidence of improved form is all that helpful really.

If we're honest, our recent run of one loss in six includes one genuinely good performance (Donny), three okay performances (Lincoln, Sheff Wed, Shrewsbury), and two shockers (Accrington, Cambridge). It's been a mixed bag and as with our opening six games it's been largely a fairly kind run of opponents. We've taken 4 points from our most recent 3 games which is bang average midtable stuff. I don't think we can read a lot into it as yet. Let's see how the next 3 games go between now and the end of the month, anything less than 6 points isn't good enough, ideally we need 7 or 9. Then it'll look like more of a genuine run and that we're starting to turn a corner, for now I don't see it.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:21 - Oct 18 with 920 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:17 - Oct 18 by SomethingBlue

Think most people would just be very happy to say they were wrong if it comes good under him, no reason for any further polarisation.

Indeed and in truth those who are saying Cook has been poor so far aren't wrong, regardless of whether he now goes on a run. There's no real excuse for how poorly he's done to date, but promotion form from here on in would mean that his poor start matters an awful lot less.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:22 - Oct 18 with 910 viewsIllinoisblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:52 - Oct 18 by hype313

I desperately want him to succeed, but from what I've seen since he's been here, nothing suggests to me so far that he will be a success.

I would be delighted if we won tomorrow and went on a nice little run, but I have my doubts.

Same here, hoping and praying he turns it around but hard to see it on the evidence so far.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:27 - Oct 18 with 898 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:19 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

I wouldn't include pizza cup games at all, they're meaningless fixtures and it's an embarrassment to the club that we have to play them. They have no real bearing on our league form, we get no points for them and we put out an entirely changed side in those games. I don't think including them as evidence of improved form is all that helpful really.

If we're honest, our recent run of one loss in six includes one genuinely good performance (Donny), three okay performances (Lincoln, Sheff Wed, Shrewsbury), and two shockers (Accrington, Cambridge). It's been a mixed bag and as with our opening six games it's been largely a fairly kind run of opponents. We've taken 4 points from our most recent 3 games which is bang average midtable stuff. I don't think we can read a lot into it as yet. Let's see how the next 3 games go between now and the end of the month, anything less than 6 points isn't good enough, ideally we need 7 or 9. Then it'll look like more of a genuine run and that we're starting to turn a corner, for now I don't see it.

i wouldn't include pizza (or fizzy pop) cup games either, but plenty of people used them as a stick to beat cook!

i'd quibble over the games and bump up cambridge and lincoln at least, but either way you slice it, it's a massive upturn from the previous 6!

as you say, next 2 or 3 games will tell us a lot more

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:34 - Oct 18 with 884 viewsdavblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:19 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

Cambridge 2nd half wasn't great but i don't agree it was a bad performance, 1st half we were pretty decent.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:37 - Oct 18 with 875 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:21 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

Indeed and in truth those who are saying Cook has been poor so far aren't wrong, regardless of whether he now goes on a run. There's no real excuse for how poorly he's done to date, but promotion form from here on in would mean that his poor start matters an awful lot less.

At the moment, winning two league matches on the bounce counts as a run.

Something we have yet to do under Cook.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:38 - Oct 18 with 885 viewsGarv

This is where football on social media and the media in general has got so depressing. You have to nail your colours to the mast or no one will listen to you. Having a balanced view is effectively frowned upon.

Watching pundits on TV or listening on radio now is embarrassing. It's just constant "I've always said this" or "I never said that, find me proof I said that". What's everyone's obsession with being right all the time?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:38 - Oct 18 with 871 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:27 - Oct 18 by positivity

i wouldn't include pizza (or fizzy pop) cup games either, but plenty of people used them as a stick to beat cook!

i'd quibble over the games and bump up cambridge and lincoln at least, but either way you slice it, it's a massive upturn from the previous 6!

as you say, next 2 or 3 games will tell us a lot more

It's an upturn but when you look at those games does it represent a good return? It's an okay return for me. You could pick a decent team of your mates that would beat Donny and Shrewsbury at home right now. Lincoln was a decent result. The Sheffield Wednesday game, meh. The other two, not good enough. As I said, I agree it's an upturn but wow, that was a low bar we set in those first 6 games.

The big worry for me is our away record under Cook. It's bad, in fact it's really bad, and this season we've seen many of the same issues that we did last season away from home under him. Too easily hustled out of games, no plan b, can't change a game when it starts to get away from us. The Pompey and Plymouth games will be telling.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:48]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:40 - Oct 18 with 864 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:34 - Oct 18 by davblue

Cambridge 2nd half wasn't great but i don't agree it was a bad performance, 1st half we were pretty decent.

A pretty decent half does not equate to a good or even acceptable performance. We threw away a two goal lead and drew a game we really needed to win. Not good enough. At some point we have to start having the standards of a team going for promotion if that's our ultimate aim. That was not an acceptable performance for a side with those aspirations.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:41 - Oct 18 with 871 viewstimothyeo

So if you're Cook Out based on performances to date, and then the performances drastically changed, you're not allowed to change your mind?

Not that it looks likely to happen and the same culprits look like being wrong yet again.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:47 - Oct 18 with 857 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:38 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

It's an upturn but when you look at those games does it represent a good return? It's an okay return for me. You could pick a decent team of your mates that would beat Donny and Shrewsbury at home right now. Lincoln was a decent result. The Sheffield Wednesday game, meh. The other two, not good enough. As I said, I agree it's an upturn but wow, that was a low bar we set in those first 6 games.

The big worry for me is our away record under Cook. It's bad, in fact it's really bad, and this season we've seen many of the same issues that we did last season away from home under him. Too easily hustled out of games, no plan b, can't change a game when it starts to get away from us. The Pompey and Plymouth games will be telling.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 15:48]

11 points from 6 always represents a good return for me.

you must have better footballing mates than me if they're better than sheffield wednesday's first team!

pompey away is tough, hope the approach is more lincoln than stanley; like you say it'll tell us a lot about which character is developing

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:53 - Oct 18 with 846 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:47 - Oct 18 by positivity

11 points from 6 always represents a good return for me.

you must have better footballing mates than me if they're better than sheffield wednesday's first team!

pompey away is tough, hope the approach is more lincoln than stanley; like you say it'll tell us a lot about which character is developing

11 points from 6 is close to what we need to be achieving over every run of 6 games in order to reach the play offs now. That return gets us to 76 points if we sustain it. I'd say it was a comparatively easy run of fixtures and there will be other blocks of 6 games where 11 points will be harder to achieve, so in these better runs of games we need to really make hay. We haven't done that.

The main difference between the Lincoln and Accrington games is that Accrington's equaliser stood, imo. Otherwise the overall pattern of the two games wasn't that dissimilar, same with Cambridge.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:00 - Oct 18 with 833 viewsKeaneish

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:35 - Oct 18 by Oldboy

They can if they wish. Didn't know you were in charge around here.

Someone had to take the over Mullet’s role now he’s switched his attention to Twitter and podcasts.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024