Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner 14:26 - Oct 18 with 17264 viewsMaySixth

when we do win a game under Cook there can be no bandwagon jumping or changing their minds

no coming back now though for those who have nailed their colours to the mast

[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 14:27]

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:16 - Oct 18 with 756 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:53 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

11 points from 6 is close to what we need to be achieving over every run of 6 games in order to reach the play offs now. That return gets us to 76 points if we sustain it. I'd say it was a comparatively easy run of fixtures and there will be other blocks of 6 games where 11 points will be harder to achieve, so in these better runs of games we need to really make hay. We haven't done that.

The main difference between the Lincoln and Accrington games is that Accrington's equaliser stood, imo. Otherwise the overall pattern of the two games wasn't that dissimilar, same with Cambridge.

lincoln was much more comfortable for me, and against what should be a better comparator for pompey etc.

but like you say, fine margins, that 11 could've easily been 13 or more.

to be honest, i'd rather take points off promotion rivals than those at the bottom, so i'd happily lose the lambert flat-track-bullies tag if we can beat top 10 teams again!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:22 - Oct 18 with 751 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:16 - Oct 18 by positivity

lincoln was much more comfortable for me, and against what should be a better comparator for pompey etc.

to be honest, i'd rather take points off promotion rivals than those at the bottom, so i'd happily lose the lambert flat-track-bullies tag if we can beat top 10 teams again!

Feel like the idea we'll be better against better teams is very much "hope over experience".

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:23 - Oct 18 with 749 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:22 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Feel like the idea we'll be better against better teams is very much "hope over experience".

hope? sure

experience? we don't have enough of it to tell with this team, only time will tell, but it would be typical ipswich!

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:27 - Oct 18 with 737 viewschicoazul

Yes OP is a dick but I for one don’t have any problem with the strident Cook Out mandem and the Strong Doubters changing their minds because it will mean Ipswich Town are being successful which ultimately is what almost everyone here wants, apart from the people who are so wedded to being right about Cook being bad they would rather we lose to prove themselves right.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:30 - Oct 18 with 727 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:23 - Oct 18 by positivity

hope? sure

experience? we don't have enough of it to tell with this team, only time will tell, but it would be typical ipswich!

Experience meaning experience of watching football teams develop over time.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:30 - Oct 18 with 725 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:16 - Oct 18 by positivity

Those fine margins could easily have gone the other way though. The offside isn't given at Lincoln and a win becomes a draw (possibly a loss), the Wednesday keeper glances over his shoulder and a home point becomes a second consecutive home defeat. I think we need to drop the notion that we've only been on the wrong side of the fine margins in games, I'd say things have largely balanced themselves out thus far.

I hope we'll do better against the promotion contenders but I've yet to grasp the logic of why that will be the case, plus our three wins this season have come against three bottom half sides, two of them really struggling. Fingers crossed that hope defies logic on this one!

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:33 - Oct 18 with 715 viewsericclacton

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:34 - Oct 18 with 710 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:30 - Oct 18 by jayessess

Experience meaning experience of watching football teams develop over time.

which is still incredibly early, but shows a development from no wins in 6, to 3 wins in 6!

we have very little experience of playing the better sides with this team is what i'm saying, mk dons/lincoln/sheff wed probably the best; yet to lose!

Login to get fewer ads

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:35 - Oct 18 with 708 viewsdavblue

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 15:40 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

A pretty decent half does not equate to a good or even acceptable performance. We threw away a two goal lead and drew a game we really needed to win. Not good enough. At some point we have to start having the standards of a team going for promotion if that's our ultimate aim. That was not an acceptable performance for a side with those aspirations.

The 1st half performance over 90minutes would be enough to get the result most weeks. We need to do it though, talk is cheap but as promising as some bits are, on the other side, bits are concerning.
Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:37 - Oct 18 with 696 viewsMullet

What evidence has there been that it only needs one win? We’ve dropped so many points we need several wins on the bounce to make top two

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:40 - Oct 18 with 684 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:30 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

Those fine margins could easily have gone the other way though. The offside isn't given at Lincoln and a win becomes a draw (possibly a loss), the Wednesday keeper glances over his shoulder and a home point becomes a second consecutive home defeat. I think we need to drop the notion that we've only been on the wrong side of the fine margins in games, I'd say things have largely balanced themselves out thus far.

I hope we'll do better against the promotion contenders but I've yet to grasp the logic of why that will be the case, plus our three wins this season have come against three bottom half sides, two of them really struggling. Fingers crossed that hope defies logic on this one!

yes, be interested to see our xG, to see whether we've been unlucky or not.

i'd say we've had more goalkeeper howlers than we've been recipients of, but can't say for sure.

fingers crossed indeed, but the 'typical ipswich' perception is ingrained in me, despite lambert's best efforts to overturn it!

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:41 - Oct 18 with 694 viewsBlueBadger

Perhaps, just perhaps though, we could stop forming cults around under performing managers eh?

Cook has done nothing to deserve the level of support he's got after his 30+ games here. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he turns it around but the fact remains that, at the moment, any side which shows a bit of backbone against us generally gets at least a point from us, even from seemingly unassailable positions.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:09]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:44 - Oct 18 with 677 viewspositivity

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:41 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

Perhaps, just perhaps though, we could stop forming cults around under performing managers eh?

Cook has done nothing to deserve the level of support he's got after his 30+ games here. I'll be more than happy to eat my words if he turns it around but the fact remains that, at the moment, any side which shows a bit of backbone against us generally gets at least a point from us, even from seemingly unassailable positions.

30+? i thought pizza cup games were verboten!

i take it this is your resignation letter from the branch mccarthyians?

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:48 - Oct 18 with 661 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:37 - Oct 18 by Mullet

What evidence has there been that it only needs one win? We’ve dropped so many points we need several wins on the bounce to make top two

I think the top 2 is already gone. 2 points per game from here only takes us to 82 points for the season and that's not going to be enough. Hard to see us going at more than 2 points per game for the remaining 34 games. To get to 89 points we'd need to go at 2.2 points per game, which is 11 points every 5 games, that's winning 3 and drawing 2 in every 5 game block for the rest of the season. We've left Everest to climb to make the top 2 now.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 16:56]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:51 - Oct 18 with 653 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:44 - Oct 18 by positivity

30+? i thought pizza cup games were verboten!

i take it this is your resignation letter from the branch mccarthyians?

Alright, Roger Irrelevant.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 16:52]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:52 - Oct 18 with 649 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:41 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

If Cook was to go tomorrow then there is a good case that he'd be our worst ever manager. His record here has been abysmal, in the third division. Only just over a point a game over a run of nearly 30 league games. That's horrendous. Only Hurst comes close record wise but when you look at the resources each has had relative to the league they were in there's an argument Cook has done worse. Of course that can still change and for all of our sakes I hope it does.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:53 - Oct 18 with 647 viewsjayessess

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:40 - Oct 18 by positivity

yes, be interested to see our xG, to see whether we've been unlucky or not.

i'd say we've had more goalkeeper howlers than we've been recipients of, but can't say for sure.

fingers crossed indeed, but the 'typical ipswich' perception is ingrained in me, despite lambert's best efforts to overturn it!

Depends which xG system you use, but Experimental361 have us about 6 points down on where we should be on balance of play.

https://experimental361.com/2021/10/17/expected-goals-table-league-1-15-16-oct-2

They think we should have beaten Cambridge, Sheffield Wednesday and Morecambe, drawn with Cheltenham, Burton, but were lucky to beat Lincoln.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:53 - Oct 18 with 646 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:48 - Oct 18 by Illinoisblue

This is a classic MaySixth post; says something ridiculous and then disappears from the thread

Also known as 'The Basic Toilet Bloo'.

The Full Toilet Bloo would involve the OP returning later to complain that everyone is bullying him and no-one understands his lofty intellectual position.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:55 - Oct 18 with 635 viewsNthQldITFC

Why?

Is it all about being 'right' or 'first' or 'I have been saying this for ages', or is it about a variety of different views amongst fans of a football club, who all love the club, and who can all change their minds about things as things change.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:00 - Oct 18 with 620 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:52 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

If Cook was to go tomorrow then there is a good case that he'd be our worst ever manager. His record here has been abysmal, in the third division. Only just over a point a game over a run of nearly 30 league games. That's horrendous. Only Hurst comes close record wise but when you look at the resources each has had relative to the league they were in there's an argument Cook has done worse. Of course that can still change and for all of our sakes I hope it does.

It a weird thing.

I've always conned myself with the idea that I thought I wasn't taken in by A Good Presser, yet I still somehow think that Cook isn't worse than Lambert or Hurst because he doesn't come across like a crazed PE teacher suddenly made into deputy head ala Hurst or a lazy incompetent more interested in his next presser than his next coaching session like Lambert and yet, the raw numbers all point to him being that.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:10]

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:03 - Oct 18 with 612 viewsBlueBadger

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 14:52 - Oct 18 by TractorCam

He's probably hoping we turn it round purely so he can bring up this post in the future to say "I told you so".

Probably hoping that Blootsy wades in to add something pithy so he can bookmark it to show to him later.

3 goals behind at home.... by Bloots 11 Sep 2021 18:32
....with half an hour to go.

What would you do?

Not sure?

Well you certainly wouldn't take off an attacker and bring on a defensive midfielder.

Would you?

Nobody would do that, surely?

#cookout

Yes, I realise that fishing this out makes me just as tragic. In my defence, it was on the first page of his posts.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:03 - Oct 18 with 603 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:55 - Oct 18 by NthQldITFC

Why?

Is it all about being 'right' or 'first' or 'I have been saying this for ages', or is it about a variety of different views amongst fans of a football club, who all love the club, and who can all change their minds about things as things change.

Booo! Get off the fence!

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:04 - Oct 18 with 602 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 16:30 - Oct 18 by Herbivore

The logic is we'll have gelled (or gelled more) later on, so I rather think we'll do better because of that, regardless of who the opposition are. But there is some logic in us doing better against teams who come out and play to win, thus leaving gaps, rather than the lesser teams who set up to contain and hope to snatch something.

As to your first point, as I said to Joe the other day, you'd be hard pushed to call us lucky this season. I don't think it has balanced out yet. We've definitely been more unlucky than lucky.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:06 - Oct 18 with 599 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cook hasn't had unconditional support. From anyone.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:06 - Oct 18 with 601 viewsHerbivore

Everyone who has gone Cook Out has boxed themselves into a corner on 17:00 - Oct 18 by BlueBadger

It a weird thing.

I've always conned myself with the idea that I thought I wasn't taken in by A Good Presser, yet I still somehow think that Cook isn't worse than Lambert or Hurst because he doesn't come across like a crazed PE teacher suddenly made into deputy head ala Hurst or a lazy incompetent more interested in his next presser than his next coaching session like Lambert and yet, the raw numbers all point to him being that.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:10]

In fairness to Cook he also has a strong track record behind him, whereas Lambert was clearly a busted flush and Hurst unproven outside the little leagues. It's that track record that makes me think there is still a glimmer of hope that things will come good, but a dispassionate analysis has him in our worst two managers of all time currently, based on results.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024