Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southend City 16:21 - Oct 18 with 1319 viewsblueasfook

No, just don't sound right.

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Southend City on 16:34 - Oct 18 with 1290 viewsdominiciawful

Well, they won't change their name. Like we wouldn't change from "Ipswich Town". Funnily enough, Chelmsford didn't become a city until 2012 despite having a cathedral (yes, I know that is ultimately irrelevant*) and the football club being named "Chelmsford City".

Southend-on-Sea becoming a city in memory of the man who campaigned for such status seems fair enough, although Southend becoming one before Ipswich or Colchester is a bit mad.

*Cambridge has no cathedral and is a city (gained city status in the '50s) and Bury St Edmunds has a cathedral and isn't a city.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Southend City on 16:41 - Oct 18 with 1263 viewsWeWereZombies

Southend City on 16:34 - Oct 18 by dominiciawful

Well, they won't change their name. Like we wouldn't change from "Ipswich Town". Funnily enough, Chelmsford didn't become a city until 2012 despite having a cathedral (yes, I know that is ultimately irrelevant*) and the football club being named "Chelmsford City".

Southend-on-Sea becoming a city in memory of the man who campaigned for such status seems fair enough, although Southend becoming one before Ipswich or Colchester is a bit mad.

*Cambridge has no cathedral and is a city (gained city status in the '50s) and Bury St Edmunds has a cathedral and isn't a city.

I've been told that the big Catholic church on Lensford Road is the equivalent of a cathedral and that is what gave Cambridge the city status (never mind King's College Chapel and a university founded more than eight hundred years ago...)

Isn't it just an abbey in Bury St. Edmunds?

Anyway, Nodge have a City F.C. and a Norwich United.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Southend City on 16:47 - Oct 18 with 1226 viewsGlasgowBlue

Southend City on 16:41 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

I've been told that the big Catholic church on Lensford Road is the equivalent of a cathedral and that is what gave Cambridge the city status (never mind King's College Chapel and a university founded more than eight hundred years ago...)

So does Manchester.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Southend City on 16:48 - Oct 18 with 1222 viewsdominiciawful

St Edmundsbury Cathedral.

And I'm certainly not against Cambridge being a city, even if its population is lower than Ipswich. Surprised it took until 1951, tbh.

Southend City on 16:49 - Oct 18 with 1209 viewsdominiciawful

Southend City on 16:47 - Oct 18 by GlasgowBlue

So does Manchester.

So does Sheffield, apparently.

Southend City on 16:55 - Oct 18 with 1159 viewsWeWereZombies

Southend City on 16:48 - Oct 18 by dominiciawful

And I'm certainly not against Cambridge being a city, even if its population is lower than Ipswich. Surprised it took until 1951, tbh.

Apologies, I never realised the little ol' place was a cathedral, although Wikipedia tells me it only became one in 1914 (can someone check that Facters is updated too, he might have been busy organising tea dances for all those young lads off to war back then...)

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Southend City on 17:03 - Oct 18 with 1139 viewsronnyd

Bury has St Edmundsbury Cathedral, as it's the base of The Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Seemingly Cambridge in the diocese of Ely. You are right about the R.C. church in Cambridge being called a cathedral. Still only a church though. As for the Southend bid, i don't think that the tragic murder of Sir David Amess should be a factor in whether they get city status or not. That smacks of sympathy.
Southend City on 17:05 - Oct 18 with 1127 viewsZXBlue

Southend City on 17:03 - Oct 18 by ronnyd

Bury has St Edmundsbury Cathedral, as it's the base of The Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich. Seemingly Cambridge in the diocese of Ely. You are right about the R.C. church in Cambridge being called a cathedral. Still only a church though. As for the Southend bid, i don't think that the tragic murder of Sir David Amess should be a factor in whether they get city status or not. That smacks of sympathy.

I have no clue why people are bothered or interested in whether a conurbation is a city or not.
Login to get fewer ads

Southend City on 17:06 - Oct 18 with 1128 viewsZx1988

Southend City on 17:03 - Oct 18 by ronnyd

I agree with you re: Southend.

Does anyone know if this was ever anything that actually had a chance of going somewhere, or is this just a knee-jerk gesture of sympathy following Friday's events?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Southend City on 17:14 - Oct 18 with 1090 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

Southend City on 17:06 - Oct 18 by Zx1988

I agree with you re: Southend.

Does anyone know if this was ever anything that actually had a chance of going somewhere, or is this just a knee-jerk gesture of sympathy following Friday's events?

Well Amess had campaigned for city status for Southend for a long time and it is widely being viewed as a fitting tribute to his memory to grant that now.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2021 17:15]

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Southend City on 17:16 - Oct 18 with 1066 viewsZx1988

Southend City on 17:14 - Oct 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Well Amess had campaigned for city status for Southend for a long time and it is widely being viewed as a fitting tribute to his memory to grant that now.

I understand that, but the fact that he campaigned for it for over 40 years doesn't necessarily mean that it was ever going to happen.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Southend City on 17:22 - Oct 18 with 1046 viewsronnyd

Southend City on 17:05 - Oct 18 by ZXBlue

I have no clue why people are bothered or interested in whether a conurbation is a city or not.

Why post then? Some are interested, hence the discussion.
Southend City on 17:33 - Oct 18 with 1020 viewsmylittletown

Southend City on 16:55 - Oct 18 by WeWereZombies

Apologies, I never realised the little ol' place was a cathedral, although Wikipedia tells me it only became one in 1914 (can someone check that Facters is updated too, he might have been busy organising tea dances for all those young lads off to war back then...)

There is a Bishop of Dunwich. Does that qualify?
Southend City on 17:36 - Oct 18 with 1018 viewsronnyd

Southend City on 17:33 - Oct 18 by mylittletown

There is a Bishop of Dunwich. Does that qualify?

He might get his feet wet looking for most of his diocese.
Southend City on 18:01 - Oct 18 with 952 viewsfactual_blue

A Royal Charter is what makes somewhere a city. Nothing else.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Southend City on 18:02 - Oct 18 with 952 viewsronnyd

Just announced that Southend is now to be a city.
Southend City on 18:03 - Oct 18 with 945 viewsZXBlue

Southend City on 17:22 - Oct 18 by ronnyd

Why post then? Some are interested, hence the discussion.

Because the issue of whether it matters, or why people are remotely fussed is plainly part of the subject.
Southend City on 18:06 - Oct 18 with 934 viewsfactual_blue

Southend City on 16:48 - Oct 18 by dominiciawful

It's rumoured, but I can't find any corroboration, that any bid from Ipswich for city status was doomed during the Queen Mother's lifetime.

She supposedly never forgave the borough for granting Wallis Simpson her divorce.

Whether HM The Queen feels the same, who knows?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Southend City on 00:56 - Oct 19 with 720 viewsbluewhite

Southend City on 17:14 - Oct 18 by You_Bloo_Right

Many good people have died tragically and their home towns weren't promptly handed city status.

This is simply the Tory government immediately seizing an opportunity to make another big populist gesture which, by the by, will guarantee them the sympathy vote and a massive majority win at the upcoming Southend by-election.

Sympathy from them, though? Not one bit. Only sickening political opportunism from Johnson & Co. as per usual - and the poor old Queen has no choice but to comply.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 0:59]
Southend City on 11:01 - Oct 19 with 559 viewsElephantintheRoom

Saxmundham, before it became a gigantic housing estate was once known as the smallest urban district in the country. It's other claim to fame was that it was bigger than Britain's smallest city - which I believe is still St David's despite citydom becoming a political potato, with a population of around 1,500

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024