Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are going up..... 20:12 - Oct 18 with 2107 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ipswich, second in the league for covid rates UK wide!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

We are going up..... on 11:47 - Oct 19 with 1714 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Top spot in England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58966976

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

We are going up..... on 12:08 - Oct 19 with 1674 viewsStokieBlue

Is it because a good percentage of the population of Ipswich is exempt from the mask wearing rules? I mean they would have to be because it was mandatory at the football when on the concourse but I can't see a single mask here.

So the only explanation I can think of is that many people in the town have a medical exemption from masks or have purchased an exemption from Amazon and thus unfortunately, viruses such as covid can spread much easier amongst the population.

SB

Avatar - IC484 - Horsehead and Flame Nebulae

We are going up..... on 12:10 - Oct 19 with 1660 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

We are going up..... on 11:47 - Oct 19 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Top spot in England https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-58966976

An awful lot of folks in Ipswich appear to have given up wearing a mask/face covering in enclosed spaces as said in the news you’ve posted.
Tesco Copdock was heaving early Saturday evening and Mrs SSB and I were in a small minority who wore one. Totally different from the supermarkets in Diss where the majority seem to still err on the side of caution.
Can’t say I’m surprised by the large number of cases to be honest.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

We are going up..... on 12:44 - Oct 19 with 1596 viewshype313

We are going up..... on 12:10 - Oct 19 by StochesStotasBlewe

An awful lot of folks in Ipswich appear to have given up wearing a mask/face covering in enclosed spaces as said in the news you’ve posted.
Tesco Copdock was heaving early Saturday evening and Mrs SSB and I were in a small minority who wore one. Totally different from the supermarkets in Diss where the majority seem to still err on the side of caution.
Can’t say I’m surprised by the large number of cases to be honest.

I got the train from Stratford to Waterloo this morning and I along with a couple of others were the only ones wearing masks.

Ipswich is bad, but London isn't much better from what I have seen.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

We are going up..... on 13:03 - Oct 19 with 1557 viewsSteve_M

I'm sure Tom Hunt will find a way to blame Labour again here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We are going up..... on 13:05 - Oct 19 with 1547 viewsDubtractor

We are going up..... on 13:03 - Oct 19 by Steve_M

Either that or the BLM movement.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We are going up..... on 13:25 - Oct 19 with 1507 viewsEly_Blue

We are going up..... on 13:03 - Oct 19 by Steve_M

Why does every thread on TWTD always have to be politicised or have someone (and I’m sure this will be met with an “I was joking” reply) make a comment that turns things into a political situation

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

We are going up..... on 14:11 - Oct 19 with 1415 viewsJakeITFC

We are going up..... on 12:08 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

Is it because a good percentage of the population of Ipswich is exempt from the mask wearing rules? I mean they would have to be because it was mandatory at the football when on the concourse but I can't see a single mask here.

So the only explanation I can think of is that many people in the town have a medical exemption from masks or have purchased an exemption from Amazon and thus unfortunately, viruses such as covid can spread much easier amongst the population.

SB

Getting a bit close to the old correlation/causation dilemma there, Stokie.
Login to get fewer ads

We are going up..... on 14:21 - Oct 19 with 1393 viewsStokieBlue

We are going up..... on 14:11 - Oct 19 by JakeITFC

Getting a bit close to the old correlation/causation dilemma there, Stokie.

Not really, I've not drawn a correlation to anything if you read it again, what I have done is make a point that many people in Ipswich are ignoring the rules around masks, a point which is actually made in the BBC article.

There is an established correlation between mask wearing and spread though, so in the absence of any data and in conjunction with the quote in the article it will likely be a factor.

I've also noticed that you're quick to jump on my posts with regards to covid, you did exactly the same thing on a post I made a while back about people ignoring the mask rules at football (on the thread where people were saying they picked up covid at the Doncaster game). You even attempted to say nobody was making that point when it was the specific point made by the person who started the thread.

Why are you so threatened about football being a probable cause of spread due to the entitled behaviour of fans? Why is it wrong to highlight that every single person in that picture is ignoring the rules as outlined by the club? Why do you continually downplay the issues?

SB

We are going up..... on 14:33 - Oct 19 with 1341 viewsJakeITFC

We are going up..... on 14:21 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

Not really, I've not drawn a correlation to anything if you read it again, what I have done is make a point that many people in Ipswich are ignoring the rules around masks, a point which is actually made in the BBC article.

There is an established correlation between mask wearing and spread though, so in the absence of any data and in conjunction with the quote in the article it will likely be a factor.

I've also noticed that you're quick to jump on my posts with regards to covid, you did exactly the same thing on a post I made a while back about people ignoring the mask rules at football (on the thread where people were saying they picked up covid at the Doncaster game). You even attempted to say nobody was making that point when it was the specific point made by the person who started the thread.

Why are you so threatened about football being a probable cause of spread due to the entitled behaviour of fans? Why is it wrong to highlight that every single person in that picture is ignoring the rules as outlined by the club? Why do you continually downplay the issues?

SB

The BBC article is also falling into that trap I'd suggest, using anecdotal evidence of mask wearing (even if it is from a microbiologist).

Think you're reading too much into it if you think I'm jumping on your posts (I don't recall the previous one so it certainly isn't a vendetta) - I'm far from a covid-denier and am still a regular mask wearer, I just think that putting the emphasis of blame on the people and not the lack restrictions (or otherwise) is unfair when most of us have adhered to the rules by the letter for 18 months, and now feel that they are able to live with a balanced risk profile now they and their loved ones are vaccinated.

Lack of mask wearing, social distancing etc. are not Ipswich specific issues, and I think it is bad form to highlight a subsection of the community for being key in the increased case numbers seen this month.
We are going up..... on 14:37 - Oct 19 with 1321 viewsDubtractor

We are going up..... on 14:33 - Oct 19 by JakeITFC

The BBC article is also falling into that trap I'd suggest, using anecdotal evidence of mask wearing (even if it is from a microbiologist).

Think you're reading too much into it if you think I'm jumping on your posts (I don't recall the previous one so it certainly isn't a vendetta) - I'm far from a covid-denier and am still a regular mask wearer, I just think that putting the emphasis of blame on the people and not the lack restrictions (or otherwise) is unfair when most of us have adhered to the rules by the letter for 18 months, and now feel that they are able to live with a balanced risk profile now they and their loved ones are vaccinated.

Lack of mask wearing, social distancing etc. are not Ipswich specific issues, and I think it is bad form to highlight a subsection of the community for being key in the increased case numbers seen this month.

Yeah, I'm not sure for one minute that poor mask wearing habits are unique to Portman Road.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

We are going up..... on 14:52 - Oct 19 with 1279 viewsSteve_M

We are going up..... on 13:25 - Oct 19 by Ely_Blue

Why does every thread on TWTD always have to be politicised or have someone (and I’m sure this will be met with an “I was joking” reply) make a comment that turns things into a political situation

Well, it's an observation on Hunt's previous behaviour and, more importantly, a criticism of a government that has given up on covid. Those people who die this Winter who didn't need to makes it intensely political.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

We are going up..... on 14:56 - Oct 19 with 1264 viewsitfcjoe

We are going up..... on 14:37 - Oct 19 by Dubtractor

Yeah, I'm not sure for one minute that poor mask wearing habits are unique to Portman Road.

I always felt Ipswich was pretty good, and then I went to London and Windsor for a few days in August and there was just no mask wearing at all anywhere.

When I came back Ipswich was still fine, but has gradually got worse and worse until the point it is basically non existent now - but that is just ctaching up with where London was a couple of months ago.

Ipswich has always had pretty low rates, that's probably why it is exploding a bit as we've never really had a proper wave so less people with the antibodies on top of their vaccine

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We are going up..... on 15:08 - Oct 19 with 1237 viewsStokieBlue

We are going up..... on 14:33 - Oct 19 by JakeITFC

Once again, I've not said they are Ipswich specific issues. Evidence that masks reduce transmission is not anecdotal regardless of the specific scenario, location or timing.

"I just think that putting the emphasis of blame on the people and not the lack restrictions"

There are restrictions at PR so the blame is with the people. People should follow the restrictions where they are in place. The picture is unrefutably evidence from ITFC's own Twitter feed that people aren't doing that. The previous thread I cited with regards to your responses was one where people were saying they all got covid after attending PR for the Doncaster match.

I've not highlighted a subset of the community as being key in the rise in cases. I've not said the majority of the rise has come from places like PR. I have said that scenes like the one I posted are clearly not going to help people. My original post contained quite a bit of sarcasm with regards to exemptions as I am sure you noticed.

I think the issue here is that people don't like a mirror being held up to their behaviour when it is clearly wrong and against the rules.

Why are you defending that image? It's not really up to you to decide what the rules to follow, you might be comfortable with the risk but others might not be.

SB

We are going up..... on 15:10 - Oct 19 with 1226 viewsStokieBlue

That's totally irrelevant though.

There are rules in place at PR which clearly nobody is following. It was an example designed to get the attention of posters on here about what is happening in the country at large.

People are ignoring the rules because they think they know best. I'm surprised anyone is trying to defend that image to be honest.

SB

We are going up..... on 15:21 - Oct 19 with 1175 viewsJakeITFC

We are going up..... on 15:10 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

That's totally irrelevant though.

There are rules in place at PR which clearly nobody is following. It was an example designed to get the attention of posters on here about what is happening in the country at large.

People are ignoring the rules because they think they know best. I'm surprised anyone is trying to defend that image to be honest.

SB

Not defending the image, more debating the relevance and correlation between that and the news that Ipswich is a covid hotspot at the moment, because I have seen similar maskless scenes in places all over London and Cambridge (to use two places I've been to in the last week) for example.
We are going up..... on 15:28 - Oct 19 with 1150 viewsStokieBlue

We are going up..... on 15:21 - Oct 19 by JakeITFC

Not defending the image, more debating the relevance and correlation between that and the news that Ipswich is a covid hotspot at the moment, because I have seen similar maskless scenes in places all over London and Cambridge (to use two places I've been to in the last week) for example.

You've also not criticised that image.

Once again, I've not correlated that image to the specific rise in covid cases in Ipswich. What I've said is that behaviour like that, in places where rules are actually in place, isn't going to help. Nobody seems to want to discuss it though, it's either excuses or whatabouterry.

It's irrelevant where you went in London which was covered and had a significant mask mandate. If people were ignoring it there then they are also out of order. My post was using a specific local example to highlight the fact that the general public is doing what they want regardless of the rules.

People relate better to local examples than "I went to X in London and nobody wore a mask". That won't have any impact on making people consider their behaviour whereas the image of PR might make some consider their behaviour and that's enough for me.

SB
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:32]

We are going up..... on 15:34 - Oct 19 with 1120 viewsvilanovablue

Which would explain why the figures are high countrywide.
We are going up..... on 15:40 - Oct 19 with 1098 viewsDigger77

We are going up..... on 15:28 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

Once again, I've not correlated that image to the specific rise in covid cases in Ipswich. What I've said is that behaviour like that, in places where rules are actually in place, isn't going to help. Nobody seems to want to discuss it though, it's either excuses or whatabouterry.

It's irrelevant where you went in London which was covered and had a significant mask mandate. If people were ignoring it there then they are also out of order. My post was using a specific local example to highlight the fact that the general public is doing what they want regardless of the rules.

People relate better to local examples than "I went to X in London and nobody wore a mask". That won't have any impact on making people consider their behaviour whereas the image of PR might make some consider their behaviour and that's enough for me.

SB

I think people are just getting on with what's left of their lives.

Natural immunity is better than the jabs anyway.
We are going up..... on 15:56 - Oct 19 with 1047 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

We are going up..... on 15:40 - Oct 19 by Digger77

My lad is currently in isolation having possibly contracting Covid at the last home game. Thankfully, he has been fully vaccinated so his symptoms are not too bad. I’m bloody relieved he’s been fairly ok to be honest. I didn’t get it again despite being with him at the game and travelling with him, and also am double jabbed. Thankfully, the vaccine has done its job in this instance.
Natural immunity unfortunately hasn’t and will never be enough to slow the spread of Covid so suggest you stop posting sh1t.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

We are going up..... on 15:57 - Oct 19 with 1044 viewsStokieBlue

We are going up..... on 15:40 - Oct 19 by Digger77

Can we start by saying that getting covid is bad regardless of anything else. This doesn't just apply to older people as you love to highlight but anyone can get sick with covid and then suffer long-term effects from long covid. Your "natural immunity is better" is essentially saying people should take a risk with long covid or possible unknown health issues which they don't need to take.

The most effective immunity is actually an infection and then a double dose of the vaccines. There isn't proof yet that natural immunity is better and in fact it could be worse with regards to reinfection, variants and protection longevity. It also varies hugely between individuals and thus level of immunity from natural infection is far less reliable than that from the vaccines (see paper below from the CDC):

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm?s_cid=mm7032e1_e&ACSTrac

"These findings suggest that among persons with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, full vaccination provides additional protection against reinfection. Among previously infected Kentucky residents, those who were not vaccinated were more than twice as likely to be reinfected compared with those with full vaccination. All eligible persons should be offered vaccination, including those with previous SARS-CoV-2 infection, to reduce their risk for future infection.

In the end the best thing to do is to be vaccinated as you are eliminating risk which doesn't need to be taken.

So once again you've taken a very simplistic approach to the issue as part of your ongoing campaign to downplay covid and muddy the waters as much as possible.

SB

We are going up..... on 16:01 - Oct 19 with 1028 viewsJakeITFC

We are going up..... on 15:28 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

SB

I haven't criticised it because it is a relatively normal part of my everyday experience now - rightly or wrongly. I feel like going to Portman Road where the mask wearing rule exists and being critical just doesn't make sense in the context of my life where I go to pubs/restaurants/gigs/other sporting events where it doesn't and I'm not put off by it.

I get that you are uncomfortable with it (I still feel uneasy being on the tube when people don't wear masks for example) but ultimately I find it too hard to be critical of a most people when the rules were so prohibitive for a period of time. Getting back to how life was as an aspirational a target for me as stemming the flow of cases during the lockdown, so I'm not losing sight of that.
We are going up..... on 16:15 - Oct 19 with 993 viewsStokieBlue

We are going up..... on 16:01 - Oct 19 by JakeITFC

I haven't criticised it because it is a relatively normal part of my everyday experience now - rightly or wrongly. I feel like going to Portman Road where the mask wearing rule exists and being critical just doesn't make sense in the context of my life where I go to pubs/restaurants/gigs/other sporting events where it doesn't and I'm not put off by it.

I get that you are uncomfortable with it (I still feel uneasy being on the tube when people don't wear masks for example) but ultimately I find it too hard to be critical of a most people when the rules were so prohibitive for a period of time. Getting back to how life was as an aspirational a target for me as stemming the flow of cases during the lockdown, so I'm not losing sight of that.

We fundamentally disagree and that's fine.

You are essentially saying the rules don't matter because they aren't universal and that people should exercise their own judgement. Out of interest, should we apply that rationale to all rules going forward or just covid ones that people don't agree with? What about venue specific rules for other events going forward?

People using their own judgement has been part of the problem all along.

SB
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 16:16]

We are going up..... on 16:22 - Oct 19 with 963 viewsEwan_Oozami

Looks like our gig at the Swan and Hedgehog on Saturday might not be happening then.....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

We are going up..... on 16:25 - Oct 19 with 951 viewsJakeITFC

We are going up..... on 16:15 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

We fundamentally disagree and that's fine.

You are essentially saying the rules don't matter because they aren't universal and that people should exercise their own judgement. Out of interest, should we apply that rationale to all rules going forward or just covid ones that people don't agree with? What about venue specific rules for other events going forward?

People using their own judgement has been part of the problem all along.

SB
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 16:16]

I'd say the rules of Ipswich Town Football Club don't matter too much in the grand scheme of things, yes. I think I do riskier things than go to the games there every week.

'People using their own judgement has been part of the problem all along.' - part, yes, but not the only problem. If covid becomes a major issue this winter again then it will be down to some combination of low vaccine booster uptake, insufficient/ineffective restrictions when required, underfunded health services etc. The non-compliance with mask wearing at a football ground that has people inside it for around half an hour a fortnight won't be the root cause.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024