Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
World beating, yet again 09:58 - Oct 19 with 1458 viewshype313

Ffs

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

World beating, yet again on 10:11 - Oct 19 with 1382 viewsdavblue

mandating that people don't have to wear a mask was pure stupidity.

Add that to a long line of mistakes.
World beating, yet again on 10:17 - Oct 19 with 1356 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:11 - Oct 19 by davblue

mandating that people don't have to wear a mask was pure stupidity.

Add that to a long line of mistakes.

It was literally done to appease a small bunch of far-right loons in the Tory Party, the current health secretary included.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-masks-parliament-sajid-j
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:05]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

World beating, yet again on 10:23 - Oct 19 with 1330 viewsStokieBlue

I don't think that the numbers provided by countries can realistically be used for any comparative analysis. The reporting criteria and political motivations for each country skew their numbers. We know that Russia specifically lies about it's case and death numbers. A number of analyst are citing excess death numbers as the only realistic way of performing any comparative numbers.

To put it in context, the excess death count for India for last year is running at ~5m whilst that table shows their official deaths to be 450k, an order of magnitude different.

You are of course entirely right that the government have been rubbish and they have a lot to answer for but given they are ignoring the report on the early pandemic failures that is unlikely to happen. The public needs to put more pressure on to ensure they address the highlighted issues but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Mask wearing is still compulsory on most of the continent and they often don't have the "get-out" clause we have in this country whereby huge numbers seem to be exempt - is our population so medically different to comparable countries in Europe? Of course it isn't but we do have a population that is hugely entitled and feel that they know best. Look at the videos from the concourses at PR? It would seem that 99% of our fans are exempt given it was mandated by the club that everyone should be wearing masks on concourses.

Unfortunately the government feeds this sense of entitlement and we can see from the increase in cases (something else ignored whilst even the smallest decrease is highlighted) that it's going to be a long and hard winter.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

World beating, yet again on 10:24 - Oct 19 with 1330 viewsPinewoodblue

You have been taken by selective information. Had the individual waited until the end of the day he would have found that the number of hew cases in USA exceeded those in UK.

In terms of deaths per million of population UK is 26th in the table. US deaths per million are 10% higher than UK.

The UK isn’t doing well, this fact can’t be hidden, and yes government could do more to keep us informed. The current situation in UK however reflects the attitude of the general public to Covid.

People do what they want, they are double jabbed, they feel that if they catch it they will suffer mild symptoms. The fact that you can carry infection without showing symptoms and pass in on directly, or indirectly via third party, to someone vulnerable is of no consequence to far too many.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

World beating, yet again on 10:26 - Oct 19 with 1328 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:23 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

I don't think that the numbers provided by countries can realistically be used for any comparative analysis. The reporting criteria and political motivations for each country skew their numbers. We know that Russia specifically lies about it's case and death numbers. A number of analyst are citing excess death numbers as the only realistic way of performing any comparative numbers.

To put it in context, the excess death count for India for last year is running at ~5m whilst that table shows their official deaths to be 450k, an order of magnitude different.

You are of course entirely right that the government have been rubbish and they have a lot to answer for but given they are ignoring the report on the early pandemic failures that is unlikely to happen. The public needs to put more pressure on to ensure they address the highlighted issues but that doesn't seem likely to happen.

Mask wearing is still compulsory on most of the continent and they often don't have the "get-out" clause we have in this country whereby huge numbers seem to be exempt - is our population so medically different to comparable countries in Europe? Of course it isn't but we do have a population that is hugely entitled and feel that they know best. Look at the videos from the concourses at PR? It would seem that 99% of our fans are exempt given it was mandated by the club that everyone should be wearing masks on concourses.

Unfortunately the government feeds this sense of entitlement and we can see from the increase in cases (something else ignored whilst even the smallest decrease is highlighted) that it's going to be a long and hard winter.

SB

Sunday night, the first time I sat down for something to eat(thankfully, I'd been savvy enough to bring my water bottle out on my rounds with me - sometimes you just have to say 'fook policy') was 5AM.

Our ITU had to do non-clinical transfers(moving sick patients to another ITU because of capacity issues) for the first time in a bout a decade last week.

Safe to say, I am NOT looking forward to December and January.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:04]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

World beating, yet again on 10:27 - Oct 19 with 1299 viewschicoazul

Russia and Iran, those bastions of truthfulness.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

World beating, yet again on 10:29 - Oct 19 with 1275 viewshomer_123

World beating, yet again on 10:26 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

Sunday night, the first time I sat down for something to eat(thankfully, I'd been savvy enough to bring my water bottle out on my rounds with me - sometimes you just have to say 'fook policy') was 5AM.

Our ITU had to do non-clinical transfers(moving sick patients to another ITU because of capacity issues) for the first time in a bout a decade last week.

Safe to say, I am NOT looking forward to December and January.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 15:04]

Indeed - but it will be OK if stand outside and clap again, right?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

World beating, yet again on 10:47 - Oct 19 with 1234 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:24 - Oct 19 by Pinewoodblue

You have been taken by selective information. Had the individual waited until the end of the day he would have found that the number of hew cases in USA exceeded those in UK.

In terms of deaths per million of population UK is 26th in the table. US deaths per million are 10% higher than UK.

The UK isn’t doing well, this fact can’t be hidden, and yes government could do more to keep us informed. The current situation in UK however reflects the attitude of the general public to Covid.

People do what they want, they are double jabbed, they feel that if they catch it they will suffer mild symptoms. The fact that you can carry infection without showing symptoms and pass in on directly, or indirectly via third party, to someone vulnerable is of no consequence to far too many.

I took some poor b*gger to ITU on Saturday night.

They're under 70, fit and double-jabbed.
Granted, they were the exception to the trend at the moment, which s mostly the under 60's unvaccinated population seeing ITU admission but the utter complacency in the UK, both from public and government, is terrifying.

Particularly give how busy we are at [redacted] right now.

Login to get fewer ads

World beating, yet again on 10:48 - Oct 19 with 1224 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:29 - Oct 19 by homer_123

Indeed - but it will be OK if stand outside and clap again, right?

I understand it's 'clap for the NHS' on Thursdays and 'boot for Boris' on Fridays.

World beating, yet again on 10:53 - Oct 19 with 1201 viewsSwansea_Blue

World beating, yet again on 10:23 - Oct 19 by StokieBlue

SB

I thought this was quite an interesting piece from the FT, in case you haven't seen it. it touches on some of those points around the cultural differences. Also how maybe our earlier vaccination rate is now starting to go against us as we don't keep pace with boosters.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

World beating, yet again on 10:58 - Oct 19 with 1160 viewsdavblue

World beating, yet again on 10:17 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

It was literally done to appease a small bunch of far-right loons in the Tory Party, the current health secretary included.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tory-mps-masks-parliament-sajid-j
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:05]

Biggest thing is people not taking self responsibility.

Just because the Gov have you don't need to that's fine. Over the last month i've noticed a real drop significant drop off in face masks.

Im not saying they will prevent every infection, but it would make a lot of difference i suspect.
World beating, yet again on 10:59 - Oct 19 with 1161 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:53 - Oct 19 by Swansea_Blue

I thought this was quite an interesting piece from the FT, in case you haven't seen it. it touches on some of those points around the cultural differences. Also how maybe our earlier vaccination rate is now starting to go against us as we don't keep pace with boosters.

Also worth pointing out that across the continent, they've not only caught us up but they've generally been more proactive with vaccines for the under 16's, where cases are currently spiralling here.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:03]

World beating, yet again on 11:00 - Oct 19 with 1155 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Came here to post that thread, it's really interesting. Clear that it's all the events that are doing us in, rather than the mask mandate(which obviously isn't helping either)

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

World beating, yet again on 11:06 - Oct 19 with 1120 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 10:58 - Oct 19 by davblue

Biggest thing is people not taking self responsibility.

Just because the Gov have you don't need to that's fine. Over the last month i've noticed a real drop significant drop off in face masks.

Im not saying they will prevent every infection, but it would make a lot of difference i suspect.

As the past 5 years have shown, relying on people's sense of basic decency, communal responsibility and ability to weigh up and evaluate information and do the right thing is a fool's game.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:40]

World beating, yet again on 11:10 - Oct 19 with 1105 viewsSwansea_Blue

World beating, yet again on 10:59 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

Also worth pointing out that across the continent, they've not only caught us up but they've generally been more proactive with vaccines for the under 16's, where cases are currently spiralling here.
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:03]

I suppose it's all been wrapped up in the culture war nonsense and the idea that the people are being being coerced into having the vaccine rather than it being a necessary public health measure. It must be hard to manage that, as if you make vaccines mandatory it reinforces the anti vaxxers belief that it's all about control.

Oh, and policy around vaccinating youngsters being a bit of a mess (possibly due to concerns around the above issue).
[Post edited 19 Oct 2021 11:10]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

World beating, yet again on 11:23 - Oct 19 with 1042 viewsPinewoodblue

World beating, yet again on 11:00 - Oct 19 by JammyDodgerrr

Came here to post that thread, it's really interesting. Clear that it's all the events that are doing us in, rather than the mask mandate(which obviously isn't helping either)

It is not wearing masks at events, plus the education sector, that is behind our failure to keep cases, hospitalisation and deaths down.

The latest advice to those on the vulnerability list highlights the concern the powers that be have for the winter. The advice includes ask all visitors, including family to take an LF test before visiting. Also to wear masks when indoors.

We all use our own judgement to assess risks, we recently attended a sixties music festival in Cornwall at which my wife, double jabbed, contracted Covid. We thought the risk was acceptable having received emails outlining the rules that would be in force. No standing at the bar, order food and drink via App, or from bar staff who would come to the table. Masks to be worn except when seated. Enhanced cleaning regime in force.

Turned out to be exactly the opposite and numerous people caught Covid.

2023 year of destiny

World beating, yet again on 11:39 - Oct 19 with 976 viewsBlueBadger

World beating, yet again on 11:23 - Oct 19 by Pinewoodblue

It is not wearing masks at events, plus the education sector, that is behind our failure to keep cases, hospitalisation and deaths down.

The latest advice to those on the vulnerability list highlights the concern the powers that be have for the winter. The advice includes ask all visitors, including family to take an LF test before visiting. Also to wear masks when indoors.

We all use our own judgement to assess risks, we recently attended a sixties music festival in Cornwall at which my wife, double jabbed, contracted Covid. We thought the risk was acceptable having received emails outlining the rules that would be in force. No standing at the bar, order food and drink via App, or from bar staff who would come to the table. Masks to be worn except when seated. Enhanced cleaning regime in force.

Turned out to be exactly the opposite and numerous people caught Covid.

My mum, who is currently 9 sessions into a course of chemo(and thus with no immune system to speak of) recently received a DoH letter saying 'don't worry, you don't need to shield', FFS.

World beating, yet again on 11:43 - Oct 19 with 965 viewsNthQldITFC

World beating, yet again on 10:24 - Oct 19 by Pinewoodblue

Yes. An example of what is possibly a deliberate attempt to mislead (I don't know) on top of the perpetual, and unavoidable, problem of differing testing and reporting standards between countries (as pointed out by Stokie above).

We have to be oh-so-careful about coming to our own conclusions, but even the more serious media outlets make it so much harder for the general public with their own lackadaisical and irresponsible ways of reporting data, and in doing so undermine the faith of the the public in 'the so-called experts'.

With the infinitely more serious issues about to be addressed at COP26, I can only hope that the media manage to handle the presentation of data and summaries a lot better than they have with COVID-19.

(I know the linked tweet is some self-proclaimed 'health twit' and not the BBC, but that's no reason for me not to have a good rant!)

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

World beating, yet again on 11:48 - Oct 19 with 940 viewsPinewoodblue

World beating, yet again on 11:39 - Oct 19 by BlueBadger

My mum, who is currently 9 sessions into a course of chemo(and thus with no immune system to speak of) recently received a DoH letter saying 'don't worry, you don't need to shield', FFS.

My wife moves in and out of the vulnerable list at the whim of her GP.

The letter your mother received would have included getting family members to test before visiting, Shielding by another name.

2023 year of destiny

World beating, yet again on 12:44 - Oct 19 with 827 viewsEireannach_gorm

That is a very insightful Twitter thread.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024