Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Style of play and quality of teams 07:47 - Oct 20 with 997 viewsITFCed

In the season so far, it appears that Cook has clearly had a solid Plan A. The majority of goals have come from the full backs and wingers getting crosses in to our attacking players.

The way we are set up is like a solid championship team which is why this season I think we may struggle against the smaller clubs at the bottom who play more direct football and will try to bully us. Two games which come to mind are the Cheltenham game where they used the monster long throw and also the collapse against Cambridge too when we invited long balls into us.

On the other hand, the teams at the top will look to play football for the majority of the game. This is where I believe we will shine as we have better footballers than the teams right at the top. As we have now been playing this style for 3 months now, I believe that we will start to see Town dominating the next few games against the top teams.

Poll: Who was the player of the tournament in your opinion?

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:18 - Oct 20 with 898 viewsChurchman

We play Plymouth, Wycombe and Sunderland three of the next five and it’ll be very interesting to see where we are as a team after that.
Style of play and quality of teams on 08:21 - Oct 20 with 879 viewsKeaneish

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:18 - Oct 20 by Churchman

We play Plymouth, Wycombe and Sunderland three of the next five and it’ll be very interesting to see where we are as a team after that.

Wycombe is the one that concerns me the most purely because of their antiquated approach, which seems to be our Achilles heel.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:29 - Oct 20 with 842 viewsHerbivore

Our four wins have been against sides currently below us in the table in the bottom half. We've yet to beat a side in the top half. Your theory is an interesting one and we'll find out over the coming games how much merit it has but the evidence currently doesn't support it.
[Post edited 20 Oct 2021 8:35]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:32 - Oct 20 with 825 viewsdavblue

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:21 - Oct 20 by Keaneish

Wycombe is the one that concerns me the most purely because of their antiquated approach, which seems to be our Achilles heel.

They aren't as bad as they used to be the style has evolved somewhat.

They will still be direct at times but they do try and play some football now, they've won 7 home games in a row, it will be a real stern test, we are going to have to work our socks off in that game as they will at a minimum.
Style of play and quality of teams on 08:35 - Oct 20 with 800 viewsitfcjoe

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:32 - Oct 20 by davblue

They aren't as bad as they used to be the style has evolved somewhat.

They will still be direct at times but they do try and play some football now, they've won 7 home games in a row, it will be a real stern test, we are going to have to work our socks off in that game as they will at a minimum.

They are worse! The ball was in play for 35 minutes last night against Rotherham, the lowest in an EFL game for 18 months

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:37 - Oct 20 with 781 viewsblueysbackside

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:35 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

They are worse! The ball was in play for 35 minutes last night against Rotherham, the lowest in an EFL game for 18 months

Have you changed your tune, Joe?
I seem to recall it was 'Cook has until the end of October' and then 'the end of November'. Or something like that (apologies if I'm misquoting).
That was some win last night
Style of play and quality of teams on 08:39 - Oct 20 with 755 viewswkj

I wouldn't say the wholesale quality of play has change that much, but it is much more competitive than before. I am sure the stop-start seasons of COVID have a huge part to play, but I think it is clear that the top 2 teams are going to need to finish with more points than previous seasons.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:48 - Oct 20 with 727 viewsitfcjoe

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:37 - Oct 20 by blueysbackside

Have you changed your tune, Joe?
I seem to recall it was 'Cook has until the end of October' and then 'the end of November'. Or something like that (apologies if I'm misquoting).
That was some win last night

I still am where I was, that if Cook doesn't get us up the table soon then we need a change.

I always felt the 5 games that we are 2 into were vital - tough looking away games, and balancing up the home/away table - after Wycombe we'll have played 8 home and 8 away.

4 points from the first 2, but if it ends up 7 points from the 5 games then it's not enough and no corner will have been turned

Login to get fewer ads

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:54 - Oct 20 with 695 viewsSteve_M

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:35 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

My Rotherham supporting mate described the first half of that game as "a 45 minute brawl", there were 12 minutes injury tie across both halves and sounds like that wasn't actually reflective.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:55 - Oct 20 with 680 viewsitfcjoe

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:54 - Oct 20 by Steve_M

My Rotherham supporting mate described the first half of that game as "a 45 minute brawl", there were 12 minutes injury tie across both halves and sounds like that wasn't actually reflective.

No, spoke to 2 Rotherham fans and they said it was the worst game they've ever watched, that Wycombe just a horrible side, and worse than they were in this leage 2 seasons agao.

35 minutes football out of 102 minutes

Style of play and quality of teams on 09:00 - Oct 20 with 661 viewsHerbivore

Style of play and quality of teams on 08:55 - Oct 20 by itfcjoe

No, spoke to 2 Rotherham fans and they said it was the worst game they've ever watched, that Wycombe just a horrible side, and worse than they were in this leage 2 seasons agao.

35 minutes football out of 102 minutes

That home game against them the other year was possibly the worst game I've witnessed. The second half especially there was just zero football played. The ball was either hoofed out or a foul won, there was nothing happening on the pitch. Worst officials I've ever seen as well, which aided and abetted Wycombe. Awful, awful side.

Style of play and quality of teams on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 615 viewspointofblue

Style of play and quality of teams on 09:00 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

That home game against them the other year was possibly the worst game I've witnessed. The second half especially there was just zero football played. The ball was either hoofed out or a foul won, there was nothing happening on the pitch. Worst officials I've ever seen as well, which aided and abetted Wycombe. Awful, awful side.

Was that where Jackson scored a last minute winner which was, I believe incorrectly, disalllowed for offside?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Style of play and quality of teams on 09:12 - Oct 20 with 610 viewsHerbivore

Style of play and quality of teams on 09:09 - Oct 20 by pointofblue

Was that where Jackson scored a last minute winner which was, I believe incorrectly, disalllowed for offside?

Think it was Chambers who scored and it was given offside against Jackson who may or may not have been in an offside position but wasn't interfering with play at all. Goal came earlier in the game than that. Holy also saved a penalty, where the offence was outside the box.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024