Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defence had a superb 2nd half 08:57 - Oct 20 with 751 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Donacien..... How cross am I now that PRP just dismissed him based on not liking him rather than any assessment of ability?

Edmundson... Looked great 2nd half, still a couple of things creeping in during the first half, why he let that ball drop over his head to then sell Walton short is beyond me.

Toto... Looked rusty 1st half but grew into the whole game, was great as the rustiness dropped off

Penney... Still the weaker player for me, plays well but moves the ball that little bit slower and so can get caught out.

But, a hugely improved performance from the defence which has been our Achilles heel all season, if we can fix things at the back, we could pick up a lot of points between now and Christmas.

It really is starting to look like they are beginning to 'click'

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:03 - Oct 20 with 701 viewsHerbivore

First half we looked like we had an error in us at the back, even though Pompey didn't threaten much, but second half they were all much improved I agree. It was nice that when we came under a bit of pressure in the last 10 minutes we held on for a clean sheet. Walton made a couple of decent saves too, but my word his distribution isn't up to much. Thought Toto defended with intelligence, swept up well behind Edmundson a couple of times. Donacien is a boss at the minute. Penney, like you I'm not entirely sold but he's decent enough.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:05 - Oct 20 with 685 viewstextbackup

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:03 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

First half we looked like we had an error in us at the back, even though Pompey didn't threaten much, but second half they were all much improved I agree. It was nice that when we came under a bit of pressure in the last 10 minutes we held on for a clean sheet. Walton made a couple of decent saves too, but my word his distribution isn't up to much. Thought Toto defended with intelligence, swept up well behind Edmundson a couple of times. Donacien is a boss at the minute. Penney, like you I'm not entirely sold but he's decent enough.

Toto couldnt control a ball, and booted it out aimlessly multiple times.
lets not let the 0 goals conceded blind the fact he isnt a very good footballer, at all.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:07 - Oct 20 with 673 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:03 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

I though that about his distribution too, but put it down to the wind. Most of his goal kicks went straight to the opposition keeper or out for a throw. Those that didn't landed on the head of Chaplin, who is about 5' 2" and couldn't out jump his marker.

If Walton plays Saturday and the conditions are better will be interesting to watch.

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:09 - Oct 20 with 658 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:05 - Oct 20 by textbackup

lets not let the 0 goals conceded blind the fact he isnt a very good footballer, at all.

If Toto clearing his lines means we don't concede I'll take that all day long, let's not forget how many we've conceded when Burgess was in there.

He's played one game after a long lay off. It sounds like you just don't like him.

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 657 viewsSouperJim

I'm a bit confused about Toto's inclusion last night. For me he's a player for a game like Cambridge where the opposition have a physical threat in the box, but I wouldn't play him in games where he's likely to have to deal with too much on the floor as he is prone to errors. Thought he had a good game, but he did stand on the ball just before half time with two Pompey attackers lurking. Luckily he got away with it, but it's always a worry for me.

I'm not too sure what Burgess did wrong at Cambridge and overall I think he's been our best CB so far. I don't dislike Edmundson, but several times we've seen him caught up the pitch when the opposition break and Donacien have to come inside to cover. Happened for Cambridge's first goal, I also remember it happening for one of Bolton's goals (think it was the first but could be wrong) and in at least 2 other games where it went unpunished.

Certainly great to get a clean sheet, but was it an improved defensive performance or did Pompey just not carry much threat? I'm honestly not sure...

Also, who is sorting out the defence? We're a team coached and managed exclusively by former midfielders and attackers.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:10 - Oct 20 with 650 viewshype313

I think we all know Toto isn't the best footballer, but sometimes and especially in this league you just need a rock at the back, a no nonsense defender who does the basics very well, I would love to have seen him nullify Ironside and Harry Pell.

Lets worry about getting the next Franco Baresi when we are in higher leagues.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:15 - Oct 20 with 607 viewsHerbivore

Nor is Burgess, but at least Toto kept a clean sheet. I know that some fans have decided that anything associated with the club pre-Cook must be bad though.

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:16 - Oct 20 with 607 viewstextbackup

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:09 - Oct 20 by Cheltenham_Blue

If Toto clearing his lines means we don't concede I'll take that all day long, let's not forget how many we've conceded when Burgess was in there.

He's played one game after a long lay off. It sounds like you just don't like him.

im sure as a bloke he's great, and seems a top pro to have around the squad as always has a smile on his face.

but he fills me with zero confidence. in the warm up they were doing a drill and he managed to fluff his lines, ball under his foot etc.... then did this in the game.

always felt like he was going to be the one to fck up the comfortable first half we'd put in.

he didnt however, so yeah great..... but christ, if he's the answer i'll be surprised

Login to get fewer ads

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:17 - Oct 20 with 592 viewstextbackup

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:15 - Oct 20 by Herbivore

Nor is Burgess, but at least Toto kept a clean sheet. I know that some fans have decided that anything associated with the club pre-Cook must be bad though.

oh thats what i've done have i? ta for letting me know. not only are you right all the time, you now tell me what i think too. cooooor good'un you

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:20 - Oct 20 with 567 viewsHerbivore

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:17 - Oct 20 by textbackup

oh thats what i've done have i? ta for letting me know. not only are you right all the time, you now tell me what i think too. cooooor good'un you

Happy to help.

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:20 - Oct 20 with 571 viewstextbackup

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:10 - Oct 20 by hype313

I think we all know Toto isn't the best footballer, but sometimes and especially in this league you just need a rock at the back, a no nonsense defender who does the basics very well, I would love to have seen him nullify Ironside and Harry Pell.

Lets worry about getting the next Franco Baresi when we are in higher leagues.

very true, that sort of conversation took place in the car on way home too....... a good defender alongside a poor but "effective" one is more suited to this league

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:22 - Oct 20 with 526 viewshype313

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:20 - Oct 20 by textbackup

very true, that sort of conversation took place in the car on way home too....... a good defender alongside a poor but "effective" one is more suited to this league

For all the cultured attacking flare players we have, sometimes in this league you just need some sh1thousery, and Toto is certainly that, rough round the edges, not the best ball playing CB by any stretch but someone who just makes the opposition strikers lose the will to live is exactly what we need.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Defence had a superb 2nd half on 09:30 - Oct 20 with 481 viewsdirtyboy

I thought we were okay defensively, Pompey really didn't offer much and it was nice to see Evans and Morsy picking up loose balls more often than not, but I too am never filled with confidence on Nsiala on the ball.

Donacien was very good, he's growing in confidence too which can only be good.

Penney I thought was a bit pinned back and as mentioned, got caught in possession (although not ever to a point of danger) but in his defence Romeo was their best player imo last night and was very quick to close down.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024