Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Four Hours at the Capitol 08:24 - Oct 21 with 922 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else watch this last night? A very interesting and at times chilling watch. Incredible to witness just how cult-like Trump's following was, and in many case continues to be, and how much white privilege was on display that day. The sense of entitlement of many of the 'protestors' and their genuine surprise when bad stuff happened to any of them was quite striking.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Four Hours at the Capitol on 08:29 - Oct 21 with 890 viewsvilanovablue

Fascinating and shocking at the same time. I thought it was excellently put together. The deluded nature of the protestors was in plain sight. You forget just how key Trump's role was in lighting the bonfire.
Four Hours at the Capitol on 08:33 - Oct 21 with 876 viewsHerbivore

Four Hours at the Capitol on 08:29 - Oct 21 by vilanovablue

Fascinating and shocking at the same time. I thought it was excellently put together. The deluded nature of the protestors was in plain sight. You forget just how key Trump's role was in lighting the bonfire.

There was a lot in there that I didn't know about. Had the police not held the door where thousands of the rioters were trying to get in things could have got even uglier. The police clearly weren't prepared for what would happen that day, and I still wonder whether a BLM protest would have been policed with such comparative restraint and loss of life, but those who were there on the front line showed incredible bravery. That four (or five?) officers took their own lives in the aftermath is heartbreaking. A lot of people have blood on their hands, especially Trump and those closest to him.

Four Hours at the Capitol on 08:42 - Oct 21 with 855 viewsMookamoo

It will be interesting what the Jan 6th commission actually manages to do with those involved. I see Trump is trying to get the Supreme Court to limit access to his evidence. I did see an article yesterday suggesting over 70% of Republicans want Trump to run in 2024 so they probably have one shot at stopping him.

I know is carefully edited and shows the lowest denominators, but this guy is fun.
Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:03 - Oct 21 with 814 viewsNthQldITFC

Four Hours at the Capitol on 08:33 - Oct 21 by Herbivore

There was a lot in there that I didn't know about. Had the police not held the door where thousands of the rioters were trying to get in things could have got even uglier. The police clearly weren't prepared for what would happen that day, and I still wonder whether a BLM protest would have been policed with such comparative restraint and loss of life, but those who were there on the front line showed incredible bravery. That four (or five?) officers took their own lives in the aftermath is heartbreaking. A lot of people have blood on their hands, especially Trump and those closest to him.

Society must do everything to bring those responsible to real, clear and meaningful (and non-celebratory) justice, whatever the cost and whatever the risk of redneck rebellion. Otherwise the implicit 'acceptance' of anti-democratic attacks from the top of the ladder and from the bottom will have a ratcheting effect on destroying the fragile grasp society has on the tacit concepts which hold us above the pit of anarchy. Who knows, next time it might be the left wing which tries to prevent a democratic handover, and they might use the excuse that the events of January 2021 went unpunished to justify it.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:09 - Oct 21 with 805 viewsunstableblue

Will give it a view

I assume the case that Trump incited them to approach the Capitol is fairly compelling?

And yet he remains in the frame to run again? Nuts

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:16 - Oct 21 with 794 viewsHerbivore

Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:03 - Oct 21 by NthQldITFC

Society must do everything to bring those responsible to real, clear and meaningful (and non-celebratory) justice, whatever the cost and whatever the risk of redneck rebellion. Otherwise the implicit 'acceptance' of anti-democratic attacks from the top of the ladder and from the bottom will have a ratcheting effect on destroying the fragile grasp society has on the tacit concepts which hold us above the pit of anarchy. Who knows, next time it might be the left wing which tries to prevent a democratic handover, and they might use the excuse that the events of January 2021 went unpunished to justify it.

It was surprising to see one or two of those interviewed, who had been right at the front of the insurrection, free to give a TV interview rather than doing a couple of years stetch somewhere. Especially when you consider how punitive the US justice system is in most other circumstances. That the Republicans refused to impeach Trump showed total cowardice and an absence of any kind of morality. Whether he will get away with it indefinitely is another matter, the Republicans see him as a good electoral bet (despite twice losing the popular vote) and that means they will protect him wherever they can. It's shocking that we've ended up with such awful populists in the US and UK. We've learnt very little from history.

Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:26 - Oct 21 with 774 viewsGuthrum

Four Hours at the Capitol on 09:03 - Oct 21 by NthQldITFC

Problem is, the right to overthrow tyrannical government is enshrined at the heart of US political philosophy (1776 And All That). Declaring it to be off limits would be too much of a shock to the system.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Four Hours at the Capitol on 16:58 - Oct 21 with 541 viewsfactual_blue

I've watched part of it so far. I think it's fair to say that never were so many brain-dead psychopaths gathered in so small an area.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Four Hours at the Capitol on 17:12 - Oct 21 with 511 viewsHerbivore

Four Hours at the Capitol on 16:58 - Oct 21 by factual_blue

I've watched part of it so far. I think it's fair to say that never were so many brain-dead psychopaths gathered in so small an area.

Wasn't it the Tory party conference a few weeks back?

Zing!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024