Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is that it for Woolfenden here? 02:04 - Oct 22 with 6425 viewspointofblue

A late night thought running through my mind - is that it for Woolfenden here? Obviously Edmundson and Burgess bumped him down spots and Nsiala has found favour over him now too. So I guess, at his age where he needs football, that’s it; if he wants first team football he’ll have to move on.

And I hope Cook let’s him, especially as El Mizouni’s emergence might not mean Woolfenden is required to meet the homegrown criteria. I have to admit I do have, possibly overly, a soft spot for Woolfenden and feel he was dealt a bad hand, particularly last year, in defensive partnerships which IMO hindered his progress, but if he wants to have a chance of a decent career he probably needs to move in January. I cannot see anyway he can fight back into the side.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 06:07 - Oct 22 with 3847 viewsfranz_tyson

It’s simple. Train hard and if he gets a sniff, then take the chance.

Can’t keep on blaming former or current managers or his CB partners. Up to him.

If he adds a bit of aggression and concentration to his game he’ll become a better player. Can’t help feel this tag of a ball-playing CB has become a weight around his neck. Added to the fact he’s looked upon differently as he’s an academy player.

If he’s out of the picture by Jan. Why not a loan out? Getting out of the club for a bit could do him a bit of good.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 06:39 - Oct 22 with 3806 viewsSchancheITFC

At some point I reckon he will fill in at right back and play a blinder. Feel that’s his best position having watched him in the academy teams.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 07:57 - Oct 22 with 3654 viewsMookamoo

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 06:39 - Oct 22 by SchancheITFC

At some point I reckon he will fill in at right back and play a blinder. Feel that’s his best position having watched him in the academy teams.

I think his best position would be in a back 3, which isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

I'd quite like to see how he could do further up the pitch in front of a back 4. He's got the skills, just needs a little urgency.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:06 - Oct 22 with 3622 viewsSteve_M

Only if we continue wanting to be really careless with footballers brought through the club. Why are we so keen just to let players go rather than develop them and sell them on for decent money?

It's really weird how Wolfenden was massively overrated by Town fans a couple of years ago and is now massively underrated. He remains a better medium-term bet than Nsiala and possibly Burgess too.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:17 - Oct 22 with 3559 viewsHerbivore

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:06 - Oct 22 by Steve_M

Only if we continue wanting to be really careless with footballers brought through the club. Why are we so keen just to let players go rather than develop them and sell them on for decent money?

It's really weird how Wolfenden was massively overrated by Town fans a couple of years ago and is now massively underrated. He remains a better medium-term bet than Nsiala and possibly Burgess too.

Agree with this. I'd be very reluctant to see him go, unless it's a half season loan to continue his developement. He was good at this level in 19/20 playing regularly alongside an experienced partner. Last season he looked shaky, often either playing on his weaker side or alongside a raw rookie as a partner. This season he's not had much of a sniff lately but in the games he's played I don't think he's looked much different than the other three senior CBs in terms of performances. They've all got qualities but all have a mistake in them. I like Woolf for his ability with the ball, it gives us a different dimension to our play, but it seems he's well out of favour. That being the case I wouldn't mind seeing him go on loan for a few months but I would be reluctant to see him leave permanently.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:25 - Oct 22 with 3534 viewsHeadWestBlue

Woolfenden has a bright future ahead of him.

It just may not be here.

No problem.

Football is played all over the world, at all levels,.

I would encourage Woolfenden to keep his chin up, work hard in training, if his chance does not come here go and fill his boots elsewhere.

Should his chance not come here, I hope PC and Co give him the opportunity to fly elsewhere.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:47 - Oct 22 with 3459 viewsbluefunk

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:06 - Oct 22 by Steve_M

Possibly because a couple of years ago it was about potential, and now that potential has yet to be fulfilled. He undoubtedly has the skills, whether he has the mentality seems to me the biggest question - in a position where leaders are often found, Woolfie is sadly lacking in that department, and his performances haven’t been anything to write home about. - he doesn’t (yet?) have Nsiala’s or Burgess’s physicality and we’re not really in a medium term situation, so it appears he’s going to be down the pecking order.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:13 - Oct 22 with 3369 viewspennblue

He needs another loan

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Login to get fewer ads

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:22 - Oct 22 with 3325 viewsGuthrum

We have four senior players* to cover two spots at CB, which is what's needed. Woolfenden has played a number of games this season and stands a good chance of playing more, with the likelihood of injuries, suspensions, tiredness and variations in form.

He'd be better staying and fighting for his role at ITFC. To guarantee a more regular starting slot, he'd probably have to drop to a lower level. Whereas by staying at a club (hopefully) on the up, he could be at the peak of his career playing in at least the Championship, a far better shop window.

* I'm not counting Donacien in that, he's currently busy at RB.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:42 - Oct 22 with 3243 viewsOldboy

My late night thought is normally, do I have another drink and risk getting up for a pee in the middle of the night, or not.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:45 - Oct 22 with 3214 viewsHerbivore

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:22 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

We have four senior players* to cover two spots at CB, which is what's needed. Woolfenden has played a number of games this season and stands a good chance of playing more, with the likelihood of injuries, suspensions, tiredness and variations in form.

He'd be better staying and fighting for his role at ITFC. To guarantee a more regular starting slot, he'd probably have to drop to a lower level. Whereas by staying at a club (hopefully) on the up, he could be at the peak of his career playing in at least the Championship, a far better shop window.

* I'm not counting Donacien in that, he's currently busy at RB.

I expect several sides in League 1 would be able to guarantee Woolf first team football should we let him go out on loan. You're right that he should get some game time even as fourth choice but it won't be a lot and that's the thing, would he be better served played 10 games here as a bit part player in a side that will hopefully be challenging or getting 20 games for a side more likely to be in the middle or lower reaches of the division?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:56 - Oct 22 with 3165 viewspositivity

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:45 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

I expect several sides in League 1 would be able to guarantee Woolf first team football should we let him go out on loan. You're right that he should get some game time even as fourth choice but it won't be a lot and that's the thing, would he be better served played 10 games here as a bit part player in a side that will hopefully be challenging or getting 20 games for a side more likely to be in the middle or lower reaches of the division?

might even help us out if he goes on loan to a lower/mid league 1 team (assuming we're challenging for promotion by then!)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:58 - Oct 22 with 3151 viewsN2_Blue

The thing is, other than when he first broke through (and admittedly he was very good then) Woolfenden has shown not a great deal and been in poor form and prone to mistakes.

Coupled with his laid back attitude maybe there is evidence of him in training not really getting his head down and working hard enough.

I agree there is a player there but time is running out for him here. It really doesn't bother me if homegrown or not, you need to be good enough. Obviously it's nice to homegrown players if possible but if homegrown but not quite good enough can't let sentiment get in the way of making a decision.

It reminds me of Hyam really. Liked him and a local lad but ultimately he just wasn't quite good enough for the level we were at.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:59 - Oct 22 with 3143 viewsOldboy

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:56 - Oct 22 by positivity

might even help us out if he goes on loan to a lower/mid league 1 team (assuming we're challenging for promotion by then!)

Better that he stays here and trains with the better players. That way he can see and learn what is expected.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:07 - Oct 22 with 3068 viewsitfcjoe

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:58 - Oct 22 by N2_Blue

The thing is, other than when he first broke through (and admittedly he was very good then) Woolfenden has shown not a great deal and been in poor form and prone to mistakes.

Coupled with his laid back attitude maybe there is evidence of him in training not really getting his head down and working hard enough.

I agree there is a player there but time is running out for him here. It really doesn't bother me if homegrown or not, you need to be good enough. Obviously it's nice to homegrown players if possible but if homegrown but not quite good enough can't let sentiment get in the way of making a decision.

It reminds me of Hyam really. Liked him and a local lad but ultimately he just wasn't quite good enough for the level we were at.

Has he really shown himself prone to making mistakes? There was the one against Morecambe on opening day, which was a pretty rubbish pass that should have just been booted into touch - but what since.

He was getting hammered after MK Dons for giving away a free kick which Hladky palmed into the goal. Burgess and Nsiala make a lot more mistakes - Edmundson has picked up yellows in 2 of the last 3 games of the back of clearing up his own mistakes by fouling.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:11 - Oct 22 with 3031 viewsMullet

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:07 - Oct 22 by itfcjoe

Has he really shown himself prone to making mistakes? There was the one against Morecambe on opening day, which was a pretty rubbish pass that should have just been booted into touch - but what since.

He was getting hammered after MK Dons for giving away a free kick which Hladky palmed into the goal. Burgess and Nsiala make a lot more mistakes - Edmundson has picked up yellows in 2 of the last 3 games of the back of clearing up his own mistakes by fouling.

Yeah but he was before them Joe innit

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:16 - Oct 22 with 3026 viewsGuthrum

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 09:45 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

I wouldn't disagree with a loan (other than that it might leave us rather short on cover), more saying that he shouldn't be shipped out permanently, as the OP seemed to be suggesting.

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:19 - Oct 22 with 3018 viewsMookamoo

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:16 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

I wouldn't disagree with a loan (other than that it might leave us rather short on cover), more saying that he shouldn't be shipped out permanently, as the OP seemed to be suggesting.

He has to go out on loan if we think he has a long term future at the club, even if that means getting ourselves a loan to cover. I know that sounds counter intuitive, but his decision making does get better when he has an extended run of games.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:20 - Oct 22 with 3013 viewsHerbivore

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:16 - Oct 22 by Guthrum

Completely agree on that. And yes, I think if we loaned him out we might need cover, unless Armin or Baggott are seen as ready to cover the odd game in an emergency.

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:22 - Oct 22 with 3007 viewsGuthrum

Much like 'keepers (and DMs, to an extent), CBs have even minor mistakes glaringly highlighted by goals conceded or saves having to be made. Magnifies errors which in a player further forward would just lead to a bit of muttering and then be forgotten. Thus unjustifiably tainting their reputations.

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:24 - Oct 22 with 2987 viewsGarv

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 08:47 - Oct 22 by bluefunk

Possibly because a couple of years ago it was about potential, and now that potential has yet to be fulfilled. He undoubtedly has the skills, whether he has the mentality seems to me the biggest question - in a position where leaders are often found, Woolfie is sadly lacking in that department, and his performances haven’t been anything to write home about. - he doesn’t (yet?) have Nsiala’s or Burgess’s physicality and we’re not really in a medium term situation, so it appears he’s going to be down the pecking order.

Considering he should have another 12 years in the game, he's got plenty of time to realise that potential. If he's happy being 3rd/4th choice and happy battling for a spot, we should be happy to keep him.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:50 - Oct 22 with 2912 viewsMrTown

Don’t want to see him go, we need a squad, and he is a good enough squad filler.

If he wants consistent game-time then he will need to go elsewhere.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 11:34 - Oct 22 with 2819 viewsDJR

Agree 100% on Woolfenden, but think the criticism of Nsiala for mistakes is not necessarily justified either. He was bound to be a bit rusty at Portsmouth having had little game time, but in his sound partnership with Wilson towards the end of last season, I don't recall him making many mistakes at all.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 12:00 - Oct 22 with 2771 viewsfranz_tyson

Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 10:24 - Oct 22 by Garv

Considering he should have another 12 years in the game, he's got plenty of time to realise that potential. If he's happy being 3rd/4th choice and happy battling for a spot, we should be happy to keep him.

If he’s got 11-12 years in the game, we as a club can’t afford to keep him here to realise his potential. If no opportunities arise here, then he’ll go backwards. Ndaba could come back from a season’s loan and leapfrog him, too. Needs to be playing regularly and I don’t think he’s done enough here to force his way, albeit through injury or suspension. At the moment, we need strong, physical defenders more than silky, ball players. We have no problem scoring goals without supposed ball-playing defenders so I’d go for CB’s who can head,clear, tackle and out-muscle forwards first.
If he gets a loan out it’s a clean slate where he won’t be judged by prior mistakes or as an academy starlet.
Is that it for Woolfenden here? on 14:34 - Oct 22 with 2647 viewsJ2BLUE

Nah. You need 4 CBs. He will get a chance soon enough with injuries and suspensions.

Definitely not one to write off just yet.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024