Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film 07:54 - Oct 22 with 1761 viewsGlasgowBlue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-59005500

Very sad that a woman has died and a man has been injured.

But how does this tragedy happen? I assumed a prop gun just made a noise and exhaled smoke when fired. Are projectiles fired from the gun?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:29 - Oct 22 with 1668 viewsHerbivore

They are usually real guns but they fire a blank. Very, very occasionally mistakes happen and something gets left in the chamber and a blank will then fire that out. That's roughly what happened with Brandon Lee. It's awful, you'd hope that following that incident everything would be triple checked so something like this can't happen.

A talented young woman has lost her life and another individual is fighting for his, and I can't imagine Alec Baldwin is going to get over this very easily either. Tragic.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2021 8:41]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:30 - Oct 22 with 1671 viewsDanTheMan

Sounds like this was a real gun using blank rounds.

However a blank, if there is anything stuck in the chamber, will propel that out just as it would a bullet.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:37 - Oct 22 with 1634 viewstractordownsouth

Bloody hell that's terrible.

Might be a stupid question but in a situation like that what's the likely legal consequence of this? Is Baldwin in any way liable for what's happened?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:40 - Oct 22 with 1594 viewshomer_123

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:37 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

Might be a stupid question but in a situation like that what's the likely legal consequence of this? Is Baldwin in any way liable for what's happened?

Unlikely - just a terrible accident.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:40 - Oct 22 with 1601 viewsDanTheMan

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:37 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

I'd expect it would depend on the circumstances. From what I've read there is usually an armourer on set who deals with things like weapons so imagine they might be in trouble if they're found to be negligent.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:22 - Oct 22 with 1483 viewsjacko77

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 08:40 - Oct 22 by homer_123

Unlikely - just a terrible accident.

Number 1 golden rule,never ever point a gun at anybody,whether it be real or imitation,this is what happens when you give idiots guns!
A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:37 - Oct 22 with 1440 viewsNeedhamChris

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a bit crass that the images being prioritised across the media with this are of him and not her?

A successful woman has lost her life, yet I’ve seen more photos of Alec Baldwin than I gave her.

Yes it must be devastating, but what’s important here shouldn’t be ranked based on fame.

Not a pop at you btw, agree with your sentiments entirely

Poll: Was that the worst result in the clubs history?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:43 - Oct 22 with 1405 viewsMookamoo

In a world of computer aided post production, how is this still even still a thing? I understand they need a gun to behave in a realistic manner, but can't that be done with a mechanical dummy mechanism and the smoke, firing effect be put on afterwards? Just their blasé attitude towards firearms.
Login to get fewer ads

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 11:52 - Oct 22 with 1261 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Prop guns are usually real guns that fire blanks. There have been previous cases on film sets where an actor has been killed or injured by the blank either firing something out that had been lodged in the barrel, or part of the blank cartridge and wadding ejecting from the barrel at high speed. As one person died and another was injured it sounds to me more like the gun may have been blown apart by the ignition of the blank. That could happen if it was dropped and had fractured at some point, some historic guns have known weaknesses as part of the manufacturing process (this was on the set of a historical western), or the armourer may have made an error with the amount or potency of the black powder, or been supplied with mislabelled powder of a higher "strength" than ordered.

That's speculation, of course.

In the real world a woman has lost her life, somebody has been injured, and individuals have witnessed a terrible accident, however it happened. Devastating for all concerned.
A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 11:58 - Oct 22 with 1239 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:37 - Oct 22 by NeedhamChris

Am I the only one who thinks it’s a bit crass that the images being prioritised across the media with this are of him and not her?

A successful woman has lost her life, yet I’ve seen more photos of Alec Baldwin than I gave her.

Yes it must be devastating, but what’s important here shouldn’t be ranked based on fame.

Not a pop at you btw, agree with your sentiments entirely

Take you point but in reality a lot more people know who Alec Baldwin is than her, so are more likely to read the story because of him. In fact, sadly, it wouldn't be big news without someone famous involved.

I read the BBC version and her picture is featured as well as him.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:00 - Oct 22 with 1220 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 11:52 - Oct 22 by ArnoldMoorhen

Prop guns are usually real guns that fire blanks. There have been previous cases on film sets where an actor has been killed or injured by the blank either firing something out that had been lodged in the barrel, or part of the blank cartridge and wadding ejecting from the barrel at high speed. As one person died and another was injured it sounds to me more like the gun may have been blown apart by the ignition of the blank. That could happen if it was dropped and had fractured at some point, some historic guns have known weaknesses as part of the manufacturing process (this was on the set of a historical western), or the armourer may have made an error with the amount or potency of the black powder, or been supplied with mislabelled powder of a higher "strength" than ordered.

That's speculation, of course.

In the real world a woman has lost her life, somebody has been injured, and individuals have witnessed a terrible accident, however it happened. Devastating for all concerned.

I doubt the gun was blown apart given that Mr. Baldwin wasn't injured.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:03 - Oct 22 with 1211 viewsbaxterbasics

The focus of any investigation will likely be the prop manager. Could be a manslaughter/death by negligence charge depending on what the investigation finds. Even if no criminal charges result, you can betcha bottom and top dollars civil lawsuits are incoming.

I see a lot of half-wits on twitter trying to say Baldwin bears responsibility because he is ultimately the one who should check his firearm and treat even a 'prop' gun as real, but I don't see how that can work on a movie set.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:03 - Oct 22 with 1209 viewsSwansea_Blue

What a heartbreaking and devastating accident. Life can be so cruel sometimes.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:30 - Oct 22 with 1176 viewsBLUEBEAT

Absolutely terrible.

Wasn’t there a fairly well known actor who played Russian Roulette with a blank prop gun who died? Late 80s/early 90s?

Poll: W or W

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 14:06 - Oct 22 with 1084 viewsGlasgowBlue

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:30 - Oct 22 by BLUEBEAT

Absolutely terrible.

Wasn’t there a fairly well known actor who played Russian Roulette with a blank prop gun who died? Late 80s/early 90s?

Yeah. Can’t remember the name of the show but the theme tune was Bonnie Tyler Holding out For A Hero. 1985 I think on a Saturday night.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 14:47 - Oct 22 with 1024 viewsPerublue

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 14:06 - Oct 22 by GlasgowBlue

Yeah. Can’t remember the name of the show but the theme tune was Bonnie Tyler Holding out For A Hero. 1985 I think on a Saturday night.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

I remember this as my sister adored him.... and cruelly as kid siblings can be we taunted her ... I feel very ashamed

Poll: Rugby World Cup Winner ?

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 15:27 - Oct 22 with 975 viewsEireannach_gorm

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 14:47 - Oct 22 by Perublue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum

I remember this as my sister adored him.... and cruelly as kid siblings can be we taunted her ... I feel very ashamed

Deja vu.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/d-a-announces-negligence-caused-bran
A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 16:46 - Oct 22 with 908 viewsRyorry

One actor or production person I heard interviewed said that usually, as part of H&S, actors never point guns, even when they're set up with blanks, directly at other people - always 2 or 3 feet to left or right. There might be legal consequences for the actor/props person/armourer here.

All mimics rather horribly a Simon Brett R4Xtra whodunnit serial drama which was recently repeated.

R.I.P. Halyna Hutchins. Hope the injured guy makes a full & quick recovery.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:04 - Oct 23 with 698 viewsBlueandTruesince82

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 12:03 - Oct 22 by baxterbasics

The focus of any investigation will likely be the prop manager. Could be a manslaughter/death by negligence charge depending on what the investigation finds. Even if no criminal charges result, you can betcha bottom and top dollars civil lawsuits are incoming.

I see a lot of half-wits on twitter trying to say Baldwin bears responsibility because he is ultimately the one who should check his firearm and treat even a 'prop' gun as real, but I don't see how that can work on a movie set.

Baldwin is a co producer so I wonder if that makes him liable should any lawsuit happen?

The armourer in this instance was on only their 2nd job as head armourer but is the daughter of an armourer leho has been is the business for manyanu years and so had trained from a young age....one assumes any criminal charges, should they occur will be aimed at her (negligence perhaps though that feels more civil) but would it be considered that co producers have overall responsibility for H and S?

It's v sad...shocking and a terrible way for someone to lose their life

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 10:21 - Oct 23 with 650 viewsbournemouthblue

A terrible accident on the set of a new Alec Baldwin film on 09:04 - Oct 23 by BlueandTruesince82

Baldwin is a co producer so I wonder if that makes him liable should any lawsuit happen?

The armourer in this instance was on only their 2nd job as head armourer but is the daughter of an armourer leho has been is the business for manyanu years and so had trained from a young age....one assumes any criminal charges, should they occur will be aimed at her (negligence perhaps though that feels more civil) but would it be considered that co producers have overall responsibility for H and S?

It's v sad...shocking and a terrible way for someone to lose their life

I assume production companies must be insured for such eventualities?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024