Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Going to need a striker aren't we 09:46 - Oct 22 with 2629 viewsSomethingBlue

If Norwood is not in the mix for whatever reason then we're very short up there — one injury leaves us relying on Jackson, who is clearly seen as a last resort & hopefully finds a new club in Jan, for the bench or just opting for another of our zillion wingers/10s. Don't really fancy going into those November games with one CF if anything happened to Bonne or Pigott, but that's where we are. When the window opens we could do with either an experienced head happy for time off bench or a young buck showing promise somewhere to fatten things up a bit.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:49 - Oct 22 with 1920 viewswrightsrightglove

I’d say from the look of chaplin’s movement and finishing he could play there if we got stuck, I’d certainly have him ahead of Jackson if Bonne and Pigott were both unavailable for whatever reason.
Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:50 - Oct 22 with 1900 viewsHerbivore

Bring Simpson back maybe? He's shown he can handle professional football and many sides at this level are no better than what he's been facing at Swindon. Hard to see who we could attract here to be third choice that would be much of an upgrade on one of our own prospects.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:52 - Oct 22 with 1874 viewsN2_Blue

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:49 - Oct 22 by wrightsrightglove

I’d say from the look of chaplin’s movement and finishing he could play there if we got stuck, I’d certainly have him ahead of Jackson if Bonne and Pigott were both unavailable for whatever reason.

My thinking as well with Chaplin if needed

With at least one of Bonne and Pigot available we are fine and don't see us bringing any striker in as that would really inflate the squad unnecessarily.

If both are injured then yes we would need someone or if one of Jackson/Norwood is moved on we could bring someone in.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:52 - Oct 22 with 1867 viewsKeno

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:50 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Bring Simpson back maybe? He's shown he can handle professional football and many sides at this level are no better than what he's been facing at Swindon. Hard to see who we could attract here to be third choice that would be much of an upgrade on one of our own prospects.

Another couple of games and Fishers will be back to match fitness so maybe he could fill in?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:53 - Oct 22 with 1861 viewspositivity

a troy parrot style loan would be another option, but if simpson is ready i'd prefer him

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:54 - Oct 22 with 1842 viewsSomethingBlue

Decent shout although, given we are in Swindon's situation with Bonne, I might not wish for that too hard ...

Chaplin a fair shout too from others although not really got the presence to play right up there in this system, but if needs must then sure.

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:55 - Oct 22 with 1830 viewsHerbivore

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:53 - Oct 22 by positivity

a troy parrot style loan would be another option, but if simpson is ready i'd prefer him

Think we'd struggle to get a Prem side to agree to send a promising youngster on loan to be third choice to be honest. Parrott was a regular starter here.

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:55 - Oct 22 with 1826 viewsTractorCam

Barry is a striker as well, pretty sure that's his main position.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Login to get fewer ads

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:55 - Oct 22 with 1833 viewsJakeITFC

Interestingly, I think we could see some more upheaval in January - likely to see exits for Norwood, Jackson and Barry in front areas, possibly Nolan in the midfield and wouldn't shock me to see Woolfenden (although not sure of the status of his squad position as an academy product), Kenlock or KVY go out for minutes.

Given that it would free up 4/5 spaces potentially it would be interesting to see where we see reinforcements needed. I'd say one centre forward, a right back and a centre back would be my preference.
Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:58 - Oct 22 with 1796 viewsSomethingBlue

Going to need a striker aren't we on 09:55 - Oct 22 by JakeITFC

Interestingly, I think we could see some more upheaval in January - likely to see exits for Norwood, Jackson and Barry in front areas, possibly Nolan in the midfield and wouldn't shock me to see Woolfenden (although not sure of the status of his squad position as an academy product), Kenlock or KVY go out for minutes.

Given that it would free up 4/5 spaces potentially it would be interesting to see where we see reinforcements needed. I'd say one centre forward, a right back and a centre back would be my preference.

Yes good point, there's probably one more phase of the squad refinement to go for this season and you'd expect three or four to leave given we can now clearly see who won't play. As you say, that would free up space to tweak things with a couple more signings to add some extra strength and quality where needed — hopefully as a final push to get us nearer to the top two.

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:10 - Oct 22 with 1703 viewsMullet

This Aussie lad or Simpson might be worth a shout, given The Pig should be very handy regardless

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:14 - Oct 22 with 1672 viewspositivity

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:10 - Oct 22 by Mullet

This Aussie lad or Simpson might be worth a shout, given The Pig should be very handy regardless

forgot about yengi, wonder if he might go out on loan first.

also ben morris is going to have to make some progress sooner rather than later if he's going to stick around

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:14 - Oct 22 with 1681 viewsWallingford_Boy

Speaking to a few Swindon fans I know, they are not too impressed. He is a strong, powerful player, but lacks technical ability and not really a finisher. He has scored a few, but in a team that creates so many, they think he might drop out the team soon.

Not saying he won't ever make it, he is still young, but I'd say its a no to bringing him back early.

RIP Sir Bobby

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:16 - Oct 22 with 1645 viewsTractorCam

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:14 - Oct 22 by Wallingford_Boy

Speaking to a few Swindon fans I know, they are not too impressed. He is a strong, powerful player, but lacks technical ability and not really a finisher. He has scored a few, but in a team that creates so many, they think he might drop out the team soon.

Not saying he won't ever make it, he is still young, but I'd say its a no to bringing him back early.

Especially to make him 2nd or 3rd choice, the exact same thought which is getting our fans annoyed about Bonne to QPR.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:18 - Oct 22 with 1625 viewsHerbivore

Fans are pretty fickle types though. Looking at how regularly he's playing it seems the manager there trusts him. There's an argument that leaving him there is better for his development long term, but depending on our own circumstances he might be as good as anyone else we can attract to be essentially third choice and likely to just get some minutes from the bench.

But to be fair all your "mates"..... on 10:24 - Oct 22 with 1582 viewsBloots

.....kept saying that Aluko was crap and a total waste of a squad place.

So we should take their opinion with a massive pinch of salt.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:26 - Oct 22 with 1551 viewsSomethingBlue

My Swindon supporting colleague really likes him — game of opinions!

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:28 - Oct 22 with 1533 viewsElderGrizzly

Agree.

Jackson and Norwood will be gone, plus we could easily see Bonne recalled to be sold. Hopefully to us.

So we need at least 2 more, 3 if Bonne doesn’t stay.
Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:50 - Oct 22 with 1439 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Considering we have this seasons top scorer starting, and last seasons top scorer in the league on the bench, we are not looking too shabby.

We only play one striker after all.

The likes of Aluko and Celina could probably do a decent job up front if needed.

Much depends on what happens to Bonne in Jan.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2021 10:51]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:51 - Oct 22 with 1431 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:28 - Oct 22 by ElderGrizzly

Agree.

Jackson and Norwood will be gone, plus we could easily see Bonne recalled to be sold. Hopefully to us.

So we need at least 2 more, 3 if Bonne doesn’t stay.

We dont need 4 players for one position.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Going to need a striker aren't we on 11:08 - Oct 22 with 1309 viewsWallingford_Boy

Going to need a striker aren't we on 10:18 - Oct 22 by Herbivore

Fans are pretty fickle types though. Looking at how regularly he's playing it seems the manager there trusts him. There's an argument that leaving him there is better for his development long term, but depending on our own circumstances he might be as good as anyone else we can attract to be essentially third choice and likely to just get some minutes from the bench.

Indeed and to be fair, their opinions have gone up and down a bit!

A goal every 3 games isn't bad, if he can stay in the team be interesting to see how he does and Swindon will be right up there and he should be targeting 15 goals + I'd have thought.

Personally I think he would benefit a lot more from a full season at that level, rather than the odd 20 mins here and there for us.

RIP Sir Bobby

Going to need a striker aren't we on 11:09 - Oct 22 with 1308 viewstractordownsouth

We don’t need anyone else. We have Bonne and Pigott, plus Jackson, Aluko and Chaplin can all play there. We only play 1 up front so it’s silly to have any more than that.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Going to need a striker aren't we on 11:15 - Oct 22 with 1272 viewsWallingford_Boy

Going to need a striker aren't we on 11:09 - Oct 22 by tractordownsouth

We don’t need anyone else. We have Bonne and Pigott, plus Jackson, Aluko and Chaplin can all play there. We only play 1 up front so it’s silly to have any more than that.

Aluko isn't a striker and I am not sure what Jackson is, but it ain't a striker either!!

RIP Sir Bobby

But to be fair all your "mates"..... on 11:22 - Oct 22 with 1228 viewsN2_Blue

But to be fair all your "mates"..... on 10:24 - Oct 22 by Bloots

.....kept saying that Aluko was crap and a total waste of a squad place.

So we should take their opinion with a massive pinch of salt.

Wallingford and his 'mates' know nothing about football shocker!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

But to be fair all your "mates"..... on 11:31 - Oct 22 with 1192 viewsWallingford_Boy

But to be fair all your "mates"..... on 11:22 - Oct 22 by N2_Blue

Wallingford and his 'mates' know nothing about football shocker!

Now that's not very nice is it?

Its all very subjective, as discussed above, some see qualities in players others don't and vice versa.

I guess a striker is judged on goals scored and he has done "ok" in that area, (plus 1 assist too). But I'd suggest a team at the top of league will need their no. 9 to contribute a bit more if he is to stay in the team.
[Post edited 22 Oct 2021 11:31]

RIP Sir Bobby

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024