Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ulez advice 16:22 - Oct 24 with 1554 viewsLord_Lucan

My mate has a vehicle that is registered in my name. Tomorrow he has to pop over the line into Ulez territory on behalf of me. Now, I know you can pre register the vehicle with a bank account for direct debit purposes but I don't want to do this as I will get stung £12.50 every time he goes past N Circular.

If I don't register the vehicle will they just send me a bill - similar to if you forget to pay when crossing QE Bridge?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Ulez advice on 16:49 - Oct 24 with 1470 viewstonybied

I fell foul to the original ulez zone a while after it was first introduced. I hadn't even heard of it and had paid my congestion charge in advance. I thought it was rather poor that there was no warning of the ulez zone on the congestion charge website as far as I noticed. Anyway, to answer your question I had no warning just a fine of £80 drop through my letterbox.
Ulez advice on 17:05 - Oct 24 with 1409 viewsLord_Lucan

Ulez advice on 16:49 - Oct 24 by tonybied

I fell foul to the original ulez zone a while after it was first introduced. I hadn't even heard of it and had paid my congestion charge in advance. I thought it was rather poor that there was no warning of the ulez zone on the congestion charge website as far as I noticed. Anyway, to answer your question I had no warning just a fine of £80 drop through my letterbox.

Oh hells bells. I had better look into this then.

Robbing b@stards

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Ulez advice on 19:37 - Oct 24 with 1270 viewsCoastalblue

Ulez advice on 17:05 - Oct 24 by Lord_Lucan

Oh hells bells. I had better look into this then.

Robbing b@stards

I think that's right unless they've changed it, onus is on you to pay or else pay more. There might be a little bit of leeway as it's just being extended but I wouldn't count on it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Ulez advice on 19:48 - Oct 24 with 1237 viewsbluelagos

Defo worth checking out asap

https://www.mylondon.news/lifestyle/travel/young-couple-fined-24k-breaching-2188

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ulez advice on 10:18 - Oct 25 with 1032 viewsLord_Lucan

Ulez advice on 19:37 - Oct 24 by Coastalblue

I think that's right unless they've changed it, onus is on you to pay or else pay more. There might be a little bit of leeway as it's just being extended but I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, you have to register, which I have just done.

The nice chaps at TFL charge you £10 per vehicle set up fee to add automatic payment by direct debit.

So, it has cost me £20 to set up a system to pay them money. Bloody unbelievable!

Is this a money grabbing exercise or a genuine attempt to clean up the air, because as far as I can see the massive traffic calming measures including giant plant pots and road narrowing do one main thing, they cause massive congestion resulting in vehicles bellowing out exhaust fumes whilst they are semi stationary for hours.

Ulez advice on 10:22 - Oct 25 with 1023 viewsStokieBlue

Ulez advice on 10:18 - Oct 25 by Lord_Lucan

The nice chaps at TFL charge you £10 per vehicle set up fee to add automatic payment by direct debit.

So, it has cost me £20 to set up a system to pay them money. Bloody unbelievable!

Is this a money grabbing exercise or a genuine attempt to clean up the air, because as far as I can see the massive traffic calming measures including giant plant pots and road narrowing do one main thing, they cause massive congestion resulting in vehicles bellowing out exhaust fumes whilst they are semi stationary for hours.

Whilst LTN's might have changed the traffic flow there are far less diesel exhaust fumes as most people in London are selling their diesel vehicles (the rate is x6 the rest of the country for people getting rid of diesel). I had to switch my car away from diesel in order to comply with the new rules.

The ULEZ is designed to specifically limit particulate pollution which is bad for individuals.

Given you don't live in London and are essentially importing particulate pollution to a place you don't live it's not entirely unreasonable for you to pay a penalty for that. Given this I don't think it's specifically a money-grabbing exercise by TFL.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Ulez advice on 10:25 - Oct 25 with 1001 viewsbluelagos

Ulez advice on 10:18 - Oct 25 by Lord_Lucan

Picking up on the roads closed to traffic (Plant pots) - much of this will be to encourage people to use their pushbikes.

Not possible for deliveries, but that's what they are hoping to do with traffic calming/rerouting measures on side roads.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Ulez advice on 10:40 - Oct 25 with 975 viewsLord_Lucan

Ulez advice on 10:22 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

Whilst LTN's might have changed the traffic flow there are far less diesel exhaust fumes as most people in London are selling their diesel vehicles (the rate is x6 the rest of the country for people getting rid of diesel). I had to switch my car away from diesel in order to comply with the new rules.

The ULEZ is designed to specifically limit particulate pollution which is bad for individuals.

Given you don't live in London and are essentially importing particulate pollution to a place you don't live it's not entirely unreasonable for you to pay a penalty for that. Given this I don't think it's specifically a money-grabbing exercise by TFL.

SB

I have a London driver who lives in London but thanks for your interest.

Login to get fewer ads

Ulez advice on 10:50 - Oct 25 with 956 viewsStokieBlue

Ulez advice on 10:40 - Oct 25 by Lord_Lucan

I have a London driver who lives in London but thanks for your interest.

There was plenty of other points in the post you could have addressed.

Clearly he lives outside the ULEZ zone so he is also importing particulate pollution inside so the same points stand. The same point stands for those inside the zone who wish to run a polluting diesel vehicle.

In the end my point is that I don't think it's a money-making exercise, it's an anti-particulate exercise which benefits the health of those living inside of the zone. That was your original question.

SB
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 10:56]

Ulez advice on 10:51 - Oct 25 with 940 viewswkj

It isn't hard to adapt to single lane driving. But you can be green and have more than one lane - as is depicted in this image.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ulez advice on 11:01 - Oct 25 with 892 viewscleaner

Ulez advice on 10:25 - Oct 25 by bluelagos

Picking up on the roads closed to traffic (Plant pots) - much of this will be to encourage people to use their pushbikes.

Not possible for deliveries, but that's what they are hoping to do with traffic calming/rerouting measures on side roads.

Cleaner hates those plant pots as people just keep dumping their fags and monster munch wrappers in them. Cleaner recons if the OP really cares about being green, he would pick up the scouring pad himself, rather than paying his mate under the table to do his dirty work for him.
Ulez advice on 11:04 - Oct 25 with 886 viewsLord_Lucan

Ulez advice on 10:50 - Oct 25 by StokieBlue

There was plenty of other points in the post you could have addressed.

Clearly he lives outside the ULEZ zone so he is also importing particulate pollution inside so the same points stand. The same point stands for those inside the zone who wish to run a polluting diesel vehicle.

In the end my point is that I don't think it's a money-making exercise, it's an anti-particulate exercise which benefits the health of those living inside of the zone. That was your original question.

SB
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 10:56]

Sorry, I just don't appreciate being talked down to.

Good for you that you can afford a vehicle that meets the emissions test, many people don't and stand to be clobbered £12.50 a day. The very people who can't afford it.

Seeing that many people haven't been able to earn much money over the past couple of years it would have been sensible to have postponed the introduction of Ulez to allow people to save some dough up to switch.

It would be more acceptable if TFL policy was to allow vehicles to flow through more quickly rather than clogging the roads up.

Ulez advice on 11:09 - Oct 25 with 870 viewsStokieBlue

Ulez advice on 11:04 - Oct 25 by Lord_Lucan

Sorry, I just don't appreciate being talked down to.

Good for you that you can afford a vehicle that meets the emissions test, many people don't and stand to be clobbered £12.50 a day. The very people who can't afford it.

Seeing that many people haven't been able to earn much money over the past couple of years it would have been sensible to have postponed the introduction of Ulez to allow people to save some dough up to switch.

It would be more acceptable if TFL policy was to allow vehicles to flow through more quickly rather than clogging the roads up.

It wasn't my intention to talk down to you, more to highlight that the people inside the zones are the ones who suffer extra pollution when someone from outside enters it and hence that is why a charge isn't unreasonable.

Certainly some merit in what you are saying with regards to some people not being able to afford to switch, however this isn't something new, it was known about years before covid and has been in the planning for a long time.

Those same people will also benefit from the reduction in particulates in the air.

In the end your argument can be applied to anything. For instance. why should we tackle climate change when some people can't afford it? It's an argument that enforces the status quo.

Why are you so concerned about LTNs that don't really affect you? Whilst I find them annoying as well given my whole area is absolutely littered with them now the whole idea is to make people consider which car journeys are actually required and I think it does do that.

SB

Ulez advice on 11:12 - Oct 25 with 856 viewsClapham_Junction

Ulez advice on 10:25 - Oct 25 by bluelagos

A lot of deliveries can be made on bikes - I'm increasingly seeing cargo bikes on the road now (and my plumber has also always come on his bike).
Ulez advice on 11:12 - Oct 25 with 852 viewsLord_Lucan

Ulez advice on 10:51 - Oct 25 by wkj

It isn't hard to adapt to single lane driving. But you can be green and have more than one lane - as is depicted in this image.

I actually don't know what you are on about here.

I am all for cleaner air and will be buying an electric car, also, for your information our London van runs on home made biodiesel which is 90% carbon neutral. It is not possible to use this biodiesel on newer vans because they are too sophisticated and won't work with diesel made of chip fat.

My argument is that on the same hand as clobbering people £12.50 a day they are causing more pollution by congesting the roads with traffic calming measures.

Ulez advice on 11:20 - Oct 25 with 822 viewswkj

Ulez advice on 11:12 - Oct 25 by Lord_Lucan

I actually don't know what you are on about here.

I am all for cleaner air and will be buying an electric car, also, for your information our London van runs on home made biodiesel which is 90% carbon neutral. It is not possible to use this biodiesel on newer vans because they are too sophisticated and won't work with diesel made of chip fat.

My argument is that on the same hand as clobbering people £12.50 a day they are causing more pollution by congesting the roads with traffic calming measures.

In essence, I was trying to reach a similar conclusion in a roundabout kind of way.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Ulez advice on 11:30 - Oct 25 with 787 viewsgiant_stow

Ulez advice on 11:12 - Oct 25 by Clapham_Junction

A lot of deliveries can be made on bikes - I'm increasingly seeing cargo bikes on the road now (and my plumber has also always come on his bike).

I'm not a big fan of the traffic calming, but you are right about this: loads of those cargo bikes about now, some electric - good for smaller local deliveries. Probably cheaper for the rider to run than a car too if they're self-owned.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024