Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. 18:54 - Oct 25 with 3116 viewsitfcjoe

….but conceded the least chances

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 18:56 - Oct 25 with 2659 viewsFtnfwest

Must mean our conversion rate is pretty awesome though?
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 19:04 - Oct 25 with 2590 viewsDarth_Koont

Seems about right. We’ve tightened up a fair amount with Donacien and Morsy but our front 4 still weren’t creating a massive amount. Just great finishing.

But I think that’s shifted with Chaplin and Aluko in recent games. We keep the ball and the pressure up a lot better.

Pronouns: He/Him

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 19:15 - Oct 25 with 2540 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Still scored a good number, though, haven't we?

Does it suggest a slightly less adventurous style of play? If so, can't say it has been noticeable from what I have seen/listened to.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:00 - Oct 25 with 2407 viewsgalacticoblue

We don’t generally shoot much from distance. I think there is scope to try more.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:15 - Oct 25 with 2321 viewsjaykay

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 18:56 - Oct 25 by Ftnfwest

Must mean our conversion rate is pretty awesome though?

yep 10 goals in 2 games. so if we had missed them 10 , would it mean 10 added to chances created ?

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:18 - Oct 25 with 2308 viewsblueislander

I would suggest that that is a very subjective view. What is the definition of a chance.? Is it just shots on goal which could range from 40 to 5 yards out? Is it a cross into a very dangerous area, that eludes an attacker? Unless there is a very clear and precise definition of a chance these statistics are meaningless.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:21 - Oct 25 with 2287 viewsVic

That’s a hugely, hugely surpassing stat. And one that seems to go against what we’re seeing on the pitch. But heyho - long may we continue in the current vein!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:37 - Oct 25 with 2216 viewsbluefunk

Those are meaningless stats, the only things that matter are points
Login to get fewer ads

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 21:59 - Oct 25 with 2157 viewsxrayspecs

Interesting stat. I checked the Donny game and we had 11 shots and scored 6 of them.

I do wonder if our ability to retain possession means that we are quite happy to keep the ball until a clear chance presents, rather than have a more speculative effort?

We are definitely less cavalier since the Bolton game. It was noticeable that as soon as the Bolton keeper had the ball, their manager was encouraging their forwards to hit the wings rather than the middle of the pitch, as this was where the space was. We do seem more compact, Evans and Morsy do appear to be giving us more protection and PC is even bringing on a third CB to see out the game.

We remain work in progress but are trending in the right direction. We are also so much more enjoyable to watch. Best football since the Royle?Magilton eras? While MM had us in the mix, the football was far less pleasing on the eye.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 22:22 - Oct 25 with 2078 viewsVaughan8

If someone takes a shot from 30 yards, is that counted a chance?

You might make 5 (half) chances, and score none. but create 2 great chances and score both.

It is hard what to make of that stat without clarity as to what is counted as a chance.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:32 - Oct 26 with 1715 viewsHighgateBlue

Given that these 8 games include the 6-0 win against Donny, I find that surprising, but then I don't know what criteria are used to determine a "chance". It seems possible to score a goal without a "shot on target" so I wonder if it's possible to score a goal without a "chance".

One stat that really stuck out for me from the Pompey game (and I haven't mentioned until now because it was a hugely encouraging performance and hugely impressive result), was that we only succeeded with 1 out of 12 crosses?! That seems absurdly low in a 4-0 win. Maybe it all depends on what the definition of a cross is? Was the ball out to Donacien before the winner in the Fleetwood win a cross for example? Was Donacien's cushioned volleyed pass on to Celina a cross? Maybe neither of them would be - maybe it has to be from a certain width, aimed at a person sufficiently centrally? I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter whether we improve that stat or not.

These subjective stats are becoming more important in terms of analysis, and as they become entrenched, it would be good to know what each of these terms is said to mean.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:35 - Oct 26 with 1695 viewsElderGrizzly

Is the correct reaction here "Booooo. Mick out?"
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:37 - Oct 26 with 1684 viewsxrayspecs

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:32 - Oct 26 by HighgateBlue

Given that these 8 games include the 6-0 win against Donny, I find that surprising, but then I don't know what criteria are used to determine a "chance". It seems possible to score a goal without a "shot on target" so I wonder if it's possible to score a goal without a "chance".

One stat that really stuck out for me from the Pompey game (and I haven't mentioned until now because it was a hugely encouraging performance and hugely impressive result), was that we only succeeded with 1 out of 12 crosses?! That seems absurdly low in a 4-0 win. Maybe it all depends on what the definition of a cross is? Was the ball out to Donacien before the winner in the Fleetwood win a cross for example? Was Donacien's cushioned volleyed pass on to Celina a cross? Maybe neither of them would be - maybe it has to be from a certain width, aimed at a person sufficiently centrally? I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter whether we improve that stat or not.

These subjective stats are becoming more important in terms of analysis, and as they become entrenched, it would be good to know what each of these terms is said to mean.

At Pompey, Donacien crossed the ball for both Chaplin and Burns to score, so I make that two crosses.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:45 - Oct 26 with 1659 viewsKieran_Knows

... and in those last 8 games we've won 5, drawn 2 and lost 1.

Still, somehow every win is an anomaly though.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:49 - Oct 26 with 1627 viewsHighgateBlue

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:37 - Oct 26 by xrayspecs

At Pompey, Donacien crossed the ball for both Chaplin and Burns to score, so I make that two crosses.

And two crosses that led to goals, to boot (literally).

It seemed intuitively inaccurate, this stat. It was on the iFollow screen straight after the game, but I didn't want to raise it, as I didn't want to poop any parties...
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 09:52 - Oct 26 with 1608 viewsDavoIPB

What I liked about the end of saturdays game (apart from winning) was the last ten minutes we patiently kept the ball on the edge of their area waiting for the perfect opportunity to arise. Don't need to create many chances if you can finish like the players we have can.

Used to watch the shooting the warm up for games for years. We have had few players who can consistently smash the ball into the net until now. All of them Burns, Celina, Aluko, Chaplin and Bonne consistently hit the ball hard and into the corner during the warm ups. Edwards does the same everytime, hits it high and wide (did the same in the game).

Reminded me of watching David Johnston and Alex Mathie in the warm ups. Scored everytime.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 10:03 - Oct 26 with 1555 viewsnodge_blue

Thats a really surprising stat. You'd think with the goals scored in those 8 we must have created a lot.

However, I also think its a sign of how much teams are starting to defend deep against us. Its noticeable that theres a lot of men behind the ball whenever we attack. Especially at Portman road.

Which is probably why the chances against are small as well as those teams aren't taking too many risks.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:34 - Oct 26 with 1468 viewsitfcjoe

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 10:03 - Oct 26 by nodge_blue

Thats a really surprising stat. You'd think with the goals scored in those 8 we must have created a lot.

However, I also think its a sign of how much teams are starting to defend deep against us. Its noticeable that theres a lot of men behind the ball whenever we attack. Especially at Portman road.

Which is probably why the chances against are small as well as those teams aren't taking too many risks.

We’ve massively tightened up at the back, and you can’t do that without losing a bit at the other end - I think the results over last 8 prove it was the right way to go!

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:44 - Oct 26 with 1403 viewsNthsuffolkblue

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:34 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

We’ve massively tightened up at the back, and you can’t do that without losing a bit at the other end - I think the results over last 8 prove it was the right way to go!

The odd thing is that we have still scored 19 goals in those matches despite tightening up. Before that we only scored 10 from our first 6.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:41 - Oct 26 with 1298 viewsblueislander

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:44 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

The odd thing is that we have still scored 19 goals in those matches despite tightening up. Before that we only scored 10 from our first 6.

As I said last night and others have posted since , without a precise definition of chances this is a pointless debate.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:47 - Oct 26 with 1267 views_sanctimoanious_

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:44 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Quite.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:47 - Oct 26 with 1268 viewsKeaneish

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 11:34 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

Donacien versus KVY and Morsy vs Harper.
Two big reasons in my view for the shift.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:52 - Oct 26 with 1239 viewsitfcjoe

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:47 - Oct 26 by Keaneish

Donacien versus KVY and Morsy vs Harper.
Two big reasons in my view for the shift.

I think a lot has been made of KVY, but he was pushing on as clearly instructed - we’ve not seen him since things were tightened up so much and sure he’d be fine if not as solid as JD.

The CM balance and getting Morsy in there has helped - Harper just not the right player for the role

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 13:24 - Oct 26 with 1153 viewsblueislander

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 12:52 - Oct 26 by itfcjoe

I think a lot has been made of KVY, but he was pushing on as clearly instructed - we’ve not seen him since things were tightened up so much and sure he’d be fine if not as solid as JD.

The CM balance and getting Morsy in there has helped - Harper just not the right player for the role

Harper tends to fall between two stools. Until Morsy came he was one of the defensive two, and now it seems that he is seen more in the Centre three. In that position he is very much fourth choice behind Chaplin , Celina and Fraser, and now it seems behind El Mizouni as cover in the defensive two.
In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 13:31 - Oct 26 with 1109 viewsNthQldITFC

In the last 8 games we’ve created the 2nd fewest chances in the league….. on 13:24 - Oct 26 by blueislander

Harper tends to fall between two stools. Until Morsy came he was one of the defensive two, and now it seems that he is seen more in the Centre three. In that position he is very much fourth choice behind Chaplin , Celina and Fraser, and now it seems behind El Mizouni as cover in the defensive two.

Agree, and it's an awkward situation, because imo he has the capacity to become a top level player. Need to keep him sweet and perhaps a January loan to a club that plays in a suitable way for him to shine might be a good idea.

Failing that, lots of training ground work to give him the added capacity to play in the defensive two in our system, but suspect that needs game time more than anything.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024