Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Bobby Upper Noise 20:52 - Oct 25 with 3613 viewspennblue

Think there is great potential for having a joined up Upper / Lower section (4) singing section up top (eventually). Good demographic up there now Lower is sold out, and there is the roof there too.

Ironically too, in that setup, we are actually assembled in pretty much an identical position to the old North Stand.

Trouble with Lower behind goal + Section 2, is these seats have been taken up by people that have moved in over the last 10 years, not necessarily singers. The club cannot just turf them out as they have rightfully earn't they seats in good positions due to supporting the club through thick and thin.

So I reckon singers going upstairs is the way forward.
[Post edited 25 Oct 2021 20:54]

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 22:45 - Oct 25 with 2646 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Can you Take a megaphone in like at other grounds as well?
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 22:49 - Oct 25 with 2628 viewsBlueastheycome

They will never allow standing in an upper tier for health and safety reasons
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 02:35 - Oct 26 with 2512 viewsBlue_Generator

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 22:49 - Oct 25 by Blueastheycome

They will never allow standing in an upper tier for health and safety reasons

Don’t think it’s as set in stone as that. People were allowed to stand in South Upper when the North was being rebuilt. Large away followings in the upper tier always stand too. It’d probably need to be done in conjunction with rail seating for it to be allowed regularly at Portman Rd though.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 07:17 - Oct 26 with 2332 viewsBlue_Order

There’s a ‘singing section’ already being built by a group of supporters in the large block of Section 6. If you’re interested in generating atmosphere, get yourself in there.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 07:27 - Oct 26 with 2306 viewspennblue

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 07:17 - Oct 26 by Blue_Order

There’s a ‘singing section’ already being built by a group of supporters in the large block of Section 6. If you’re interested in generating atmosphere, get yourself in there.

Yes I am aware of that, but that is Lower tier right?

What I am saying is if you stick that lot in the Upper Tier, they will make twice the noise, but also, there is more seats upstairs and more space for even more singers to congregate there.

The Lower tier has never been good for making noise (since the stand redesign) as the roof is too far away to really help reverberate the sound.

But also, there is not much availability of seats in the Lower tier now.

Go and take a look at the upper tier section on top of Section 5 and 6. Looks like the right demographic are starting to form up there, presumably as they can't get tickets downstairs.

Could be worth a trial?
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 7:36]

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 08:40 - Oct 26 with 2157 viewsArnieM

Why not “feed” the singing from SBRL to SBRU via the tanyo system . Often fans don’t hear what’s going on below them so don’t interact / join in . If they could hear the singing from lower stand I’m pretty sure they’d join in …. It’s be a Mexican wave effect .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 09:56 - Oct 26 with 2030 viewsWD19

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 08:40 - Oct 26 by ArnieM

Why not “feed” the singing from SBRL to SBRU via the tanyo system . Often fans don’t hear what’s going on below them so don’t interact / join in . If they could hear the singing from lower stand I’m pretty sure they’d join in …. It’s be a Mexican wave effect .

We can't currently feed the players names via the tannoy......so live crowd noise will need to be in a future upgrade. I have heard Gav is already working on it.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 10:39 - Oct 26 with 1970 viewsborge

On the very rare occasions when the upper SBR has found its voice, the noise has been much, much louder than the noise generated by the lower SBR - from my listening point in block H. The accoustics of the lower SBR are really poor and the volume is lost.
Login to get fewer ads

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 12:00 - Oct 26 with 1887 viewsBlue_Order

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 07:27 - Oct 26 by pennblue

What I am saying is if you stick that lot in the Upper Tier, they will make twice the noise, but also, there is more seats upstairs and more space for even more singers to congregate there.

The Lower tier has never been good for making noise (since the stand redesign) as the roof is too far away to really help reverberate the sound.

Go and take a look at the upper tier section on top of Section 5 and 6. Looks like the right demographic are starting to form up there, presumably as they can't get tickets downstairs.

Could be worth a trial?

Could certainly be worth a trial, but I think the problem you’ll have is actually getting enough bodies to move up there to give it a go.

We’ve been working on our section since the summer - we’ve got 30/40 singers in there now, and we keep moving lads in whenever seats become available. It’ll take time, and we could do with a bit of help from the club (haha), but I’m confident we’ll have the majority of the section filled with singers in a few years time.

At the end of the day (without wanting to sound like a prick), there’s no group of Ipswich fans that are as organised and dedicated to improving the atmosphere at Portman Road as we are. We’ve proved that it can work, and it’ll keep getting stronger, so anyone that cares about atmosphere etc should come over to Section 6 and get involved.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 13:29 - Oct 26 with 1759 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 12:00 - Oct 26 by Blue_Order

Could certainly be worth a trial, but I think the problem you’ll have is actually getting enough bodies to move up there to give it a go.

We’ve been working on our section since the summer - we’ve got 30/40 singers in there now, and we keep moving lads in whenever seats become available. It’ll take time, and we could do with a bit of help from the club (haha), but I’m confident we’ll have the majority of the section filled with singers in a few years time.

At the end of the day (without wanting to sound like a prick), there’s no group of Ipswich fans that are as organised and dedicated to improving the atmosphere at Portman Road as we are. We’ve proved that it can work, and it’ll keep getting stronger, so anyone that cares about atmosphere etc should come over to Section 6 and get involved.

What is the deal when it comes to the new ownership/blue action? You would imagine that with what they say regarding the PR Atmosphere, they would be doing all they can to help you guys, but it seems that relationship is breaking down a bit ? Which is strange and not in the best interest of the club as you guys do great work.

I sit in the Sir Alf, and even when the game goes dead I can still vaguely hear you guys trying to get others going. As you say, hopefully more will come to join you and that atmosphere can really spread across the whole stand/Stadium

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 14:01 - Oct 26 with 1678 viewspennblue

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 12:00 - Oct 26 by Blue_Order

"Could certainly be worth a trial, but I think the problem you’ll have is actually getting enough bodies to move up there to give it a go."

Agreed, it would have to be done with a heavy involvement from BA, and with support from the club too to ring fence a chunk of seats up there.

But I suppose my points are:

1) You would have a lot more space for expansion up there
2) I believe you would make a load more noise as you can use the roof to your advantage

The only reason I mention it was because on Saturday, there were a good 200 people that fall into the youth category - 18-30 age range. Which I am guessing, would not require too much effort to convert.

I agree, normally, SBR Upper has not really done much but Saturday I saw potential up there. Whereas when I was in Lower Middle behind the goal I could clearly see the demographic had changed over the years, and it would take years to reclaim that space as a pure singing section.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 14:05]

There's no way.... on 14:05 - Oct 26 with 1652 viewsBloots

....they'd let anyone get away with standing in the top tier.

So it's a moot point really.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:24 - Oct 26 with 1505 viewsN2_Blue

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 07:27 - Oct 26 by pennblue

Could be worth a trial?

as someone has already said you can't sing sitting down! It's a non starter, stop wasting your energy on this You'd be better off going other end of ground and getting both lower tiers singing rather than just the Sir Bobby.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:30 - Oct 26 with 1484 viewsMatt_Netherlands

In hindsight, a single tier north stand would’ve been much better from an atmosphere point of view. I assume the reason we never looked at that is because we don’t have space behind the existing stand because if the houses and road?

Does anyone ever remember seeing alternative plans for the two stands? Always so fascinated by those sorts of things. (Other than the rumoured shelved plan for a new ground at Ravenswood….)
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:43 - Oct 26 with 1448 viewspennblue

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:30 - Oct 26 by Matt_Netherlands

In hindsight, a single tier north stand would’ve been much better from an atmosphere point of view. I assume the reason we never looked at that is because we don’t have space behind the existing stand because if the houses and road?

Does anyone ever remember seeing alternative plans for the two stands? Always so fascinated by those sorts of things. (Other than the rumoured shelved plan for a new ground at Ravenswood….)

Yes the Kop looks perfect, but maybe GC can flatten PR and put something like the Al Bayt Stadium in its place!

Would be quite a statement of intent.

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:47 - Oct 26 with 1437 viewsBlue_Order

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 13:29 - Oct 26 by TRUE_BLUE123

What is the deal when it comes to the new ownership/blue action? You would imagine that with what they say regarding the PR Atmosphere, they would be doing all they can to help you guys, but it seems that relationship is breaking down a bit ? Which is strange and not in the best interest of the club as you guys do great work.

I sit in the Sir Alf, and even when the game goes dead I can still vaguely hear you guys trying to get others going. As you say, hopefully more will come to join you and that atmosphere can really spread across the whole stand/Stadium

Nothing’s really changed since the takeover, it’s just become more frustrating because we hoped it would.

The view of the group from within the club has never been a particularly positive one - we’re just hassle that they’d rather do without - and so far that view seems to have carried over between ownerships. Time will tell, I suppose…
There's no way.... on 15:57 - Oct 26 with 1361 viewsBlue_Generator

There's no way.... on 14:05 - Oct 26 by Bloots

....they'd let anyone get away with standing in the top tier.

So it's a moot point really.

We don't know that for certain though. Obviously you can't just turn up and stand at the moment but it may be possible if the club were on board with it in advance. As I said earlier, it's already been done before when the North relocated to the South Upper temporarily and is allowed in the Cobbold Upper every time there's a large away following.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:59 - Oct 26 with 1346 viewspennblue

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:47 - Oct 26 by Blue_Order

Nothing’s really changed since the takeover, it’s just become more frustrating because we hoped it would.

The view of the group from within the club has never been a particularly positive one - we’re just hassle that they’d rather do without - and so far that view seems to have carried over between ownerships. Time will tell, I suppose…

I think you just need to be clear about what you want.

There is no doubt, the three lions are all about the atmosphere, so if you can put across what the vision is, what the benefits are, what is would cost and who it would need to involve, more as a business plan, I am sure they would listen.

What you are trying to do is in the best interests of the club.

But what IS the vision? What does success look like?

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 16:15 - Oct 26 with 1311 viewsBlue_Generator

I’m not in Blue Action but I go in that section behind the disabled area in S.6 and it’s great down there. Really taken off since the start of the season so credit to Blue Action for organising that. It’s not just BA members in there and that’s where the best atmosphere is at the moment so anyone who wants to have a good time should get down there for the time being at least, regardless of whether you want to be in the group or not. If you buy/move a ticket near it, there’s usually space/spare seats to move into it. People aren’t too precious about being in their specified seat and the stewards are generally relaxed about it/unaware unless a particular row looks obviously overcrowded so it works well with the current numbers.

I do agree that it would be better to look at other options longer term though. The current area is limited in terms of available seats and the stand design as people have said. Whilst it could grow gradually as fans move seats and their old ones become available, it’d be odd seats here and there as the majority probably won’t budge en masse any time soon to free up rows in the right place. The view is also better further back or higher up.

Another issue is that the club won’t support Blue Action (been told this by different sources). So it may help if we had a section provided by the club that isn’t directly associated with or organised by any particular group or individuals. Just an area for everyone who wants to sing to come together and as simple as that. The club’s support would be needed in terms of turning a blind eye to standing, making prices affordable, referring to a section as the singing section so that enough people are aware that it exists and are confident enough to move there, getting Safety Manager approval etc so we’d need them on side.

That said, I can’t see any alternative locations working without the BA guys getting involved with it either because they’ve already proved that they are committed and can make a difference. I don’t think there’d be enough numbers to get anything going anywhere else without them so hopefully they’d be in favour of it too if a suitable area was made available. Tentative enquiries suggest that they would be open to the idea. The ideal scenario would be to start by combining everyone who’s currently in that area of S.6 with BA plus the other vociferous fans that you've referred to.

I’ve already been trying to find out via someone I know with club staff sources whether or not the club would be open to trying something new (I didn’t want to waste my time contacting the powers that be if they weren’t interested). The initial feedback I’ve received is that they would be. I was also told previously that O'Leary was very keen to support fan initiatives re the atmosphere initially, before being put off by other elements within the club because of certain reasons. The fact that he was keen initially gives me hope though.

I’ll find out more but maybe something could be arranged for the start of next season if this season is too soon? If they go ahead with the rail seating trial that they mentioned then they’d need to make changes to an area anyway so why not do something in conjunction with supportting the fans with a singing section.

As others have already said, it would probably need to be in an area that’s sparsely populated as the club would understandably be reluctant to move existing season ticket holders so blocks 1 or 3 of the Upper North look most promising on the face of it (or even Block A of the Cobbold if that’s not possible for whatever reason). It shouldn’t be too much of a wrench to leave the lower North as the singing isn’t joined up and the singers are already basically separate anyway.

If I get anywhere with the club then I’ll post it on here.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 16:28 - Oct 26 with 1272 viewsDavoIPB

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 16:15 - Oct 26 by Blue_Generator

I’m not in Blue Action but I go in that section behind the disabled area in S.6 and it’s great down there. Really taken off since the start of the season so credit to Blue Action for organising that. It’s not just BA members in there and that’s where the best atmosphere is at the moment so anyone who wants to have a good time should get down there for the time being at least, regardless of whether you want to be in the group or not. If you buy/move a ticket near it, there’s usually space/spare seats to move into it. People aren’t too precious about being in their specified seat and the stewards are generally relaxed about it/unaware unless a particular row looks obviously overcrowded so it works well with the current numbers.

I do agree that it would be better to look at other options longer term though. The current area is limited in terms of available seats and the stand design as people have said. Whilst it could grow gradually as fans move seats and their old ones become available, it’d be odd seats here and there as the majority probably won’t budge en masse any time soon to free up rows in the right place. The view is also better further back or higher up.

Another issue is that the club won’t support Blue Action (been told this by different sources). So it may help if we had a section provided by the club that isn’t directly associated with or organised by any particular group or individuals. Just an area for everyone who wants to sing to come together and as simple as that. The club’s support would be needed in terms of turning a blind eye to standing, making prices affordable, referring to a section as the singing section so that enough people are aware that it exists and are confident enough to move there, getting Safety Manager approval etc so we’d need them on side.

That said, I can’t see any alternative locations working without the BA guys getting involved with it either because they’ve already proved that they are committed and can make a difference. I don’t think there’d be enough numbers to get anything going anywhere else without them so hopefully they’d be in favour of it too if a suitable area was made available. Tentative enquiries suggest that they would be open to the idea. The ideal scenario would be to start by combining everyone who’s currently in that area of S.6 with BA plus the other vociferous fans that you've referred to.

I’ve already been trying to find out via someone I know with club staff sources whether or not the club would be open to trying something new (I didn’t want to waste my time contacting the powers that be if they weren’t interested). The initial feedback I’ve received is that they would be. I was also told previously that O'Leary was very keen to support fan initiatives re the atmosphere initially, before being put off by other elements within the club because of certain reasons. The fact that he was keen initially gives me hope though.

I’ll find out more but maybe something could be arranged for the start of next season if this season is too soon? If they go ahead with the rail seating trial that they mentioned then they’d need to make changes to an area anyway so why not do something in conjunction with supportting the fans with a singing section.

As others have already said, it would probably need to be in an area that’s sparsely populated as the club would understandably be reluctant to move existing season ticket holders so blocks 1 or 3 of the Upper North look most promising on the face of it (or even Block A of the Cobbold if that’s not possible for whatever reason). It shouldn’t be too much of a wrench to leave the lower North as the singing isn’t joined up and the singers are already basically separate anyway.

If I get anywhere with the club then I’ll post it on here.

Just a question. Why would the club move season ticket holders? Surely the point of getting a season ticket is you choose where you sit? I'd be really annoyed if the club suddenly went we are moving you? I'm sure i'm just missing your point!

Plus I always sit in the upper North, was actually really annoying on Saturday when people kept walking around the rows, a lot of them missed the goals as well (had to keep pi**ing as had been drinking).

Before get accused of being an old and boring I'm about their age! Also a lot of the people in upper North (sorry thats just what I call it) definitely were not the type of fans to stand the whole game!
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 17:14 - Oct 26 with 1190 viewsWickets

Well i love the Sir Bobby lower and i am more or less plumb in the middle , i feel the support that it gives is a joy to behold . Section 6 / Blue action add much to the atmosphere . Room for improvement yes maybe but most fans in there join in regardless of age . It might be nice if other areas of the ground could be a bit more vocal but each to there own i suppose . If we can keep this very good run going i am sure the whole ground can be rocking .
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 17:16 - Oct 26 with 1186 viewsBlue_Generator

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 16:28 - Oct 26 by DavoIPB

Just a question. Why would the club move season ticket holders? Surely the point of getting a season ticket is you choose where you sit? I'd be really annoyed if the club suddenly went we are moving you? I'm sure i'm just missing your point!

Plus I always sit in the upper North, was actually really annoying on Saturday when people kept walking around the rows, a lot of them missed the goals as well (had to keep pi**ing as had been drinking).

Before get accused of being an old and boring I'm about their age! Also a lot of the people in upper North (sorry thats just what I call it) definitely were not the type of fans to stand the whole game!

No-one's suggesting that any season ticket holders should be moved mate. That's why people are talking about the potential for areas that are currently sparsely populated and have lots of available seats.

There's enough spare room for what different types of fans want and no reason why different areas can't co-exist. We're talking about a singing section, not the whole stand as that's not realistic for various reasons.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 17:26 - Oct 26 with 1164 viewsAlanG296

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:24 - Oct 26 by N2_Blue

as someone has already said you can't sing sitting down! It's a non starter, stop wasting your energy on this You'd be better off going other end of ground and getting both lower tiers singing rather than just the Sir Bobby.

Nonsense. I can sing and sit at the same time, expect you can too if you try. Accept that choirs, bands, church congregations usually stand when singing, but that does not mean that they can only sing if they are standing up.
Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 17:46 - Oct 26 with 1123 viewsReuser_is_God

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 15:59 - Oct 26 by pennblue

I think you just need to be clear about what you want.

There is no doubt, the three lions are all about the atmosphere, so if you can put across what the vision is, what the benefits are, what is would cost and who it would need to involve, more as a business plan, I am sure they would listen.

What you are trying to do is in the best interests of the club.

But what IS the vision? What does success look like?

Blue_Order will give a more accurate & detailed answer to your question but for me success for BA would be to have the whole SBRL singing a wide variety of chants, in unison, all game.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 18:28 - Oct 26 with 1052 viewsDinDjarin

Sir Bobby Upper Noise on 17:14 - Oct 26 by Wickets

Well i love the Sir Bobby lower and i am more or less plumb in the middle , i feel the support that it gives is a joy to behold . Section 6 / Blue action add much to the atmosphere . Room for improvement yes maybe but most fans in there join in regardless of age . It might be nice if other areas of the ground could be a bit more vocal but each to there own i suppose . If we can keep this very good run going i am sure the whole ground can be rocking .

The last 5 minutes v Fleetwood all 4 stands were singing so shows it can be done.

What we see on the pitch feeds through to the fans and the noise once we got the winner for 5 minutes was brilliant.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024