Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Right off up north today and tomorrow 07:51 - Oct 26 with 1109 viewsFtnfwest

To do a whistle stop Uni tour with miss Ftnfwest. Taking in Manchester today and Leeds tomorrow. Any biased or unbiased views on either? She wants to do psychology but this is just to get a feel of the places in the absence of normal open days.
Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:03 - Oct 26 with 1055 viewsHerbivore

Only ever briefly been to both but found them to be really cool cities. Both have their good and bad parts but in Leeds the student areas are all pretty decent areas and not far from the city centre. Not so sure on the student areas in Manchester, it's got a few different unis and as a city it just feels that bit more sprawling than Leeds, almost like a mini London. Manchester has better public transport and is better connected in my limited experience. I'm sure she'd enjoy both.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:05 - Oct 26 with 1045 viewsFtnfwest

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:03 - Oct 26 by Herbivore

Only ever briefly been to both but found them to be really cool cities. Both have their good and bad parts but in Leeds the student areas are all pretty decent areas and not far from the city centre. Not so sure on the student areas in Manchester, it's got a few different unis and as a city it just feels that bit more sprawling than Leeds, almost like a mini London. Manchester has better public transport and is better connected in my limited experience. I'm sure she'd enjoy both.

Cheers Herb, yes Manchester set up looks off the scale in terms of size. We’re going to try to walk between the main campus and city centre for both places because it’s not far (15 minutes in Manchester I think and bit less for Leeds)
Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:18 - Oct 26 with 1003 viewsHerbivore

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:05 - Oct 26 by Ftnfwest

Cheers Herb, yes Manchester set up looks off the scale in terms of size. We’re going to try to walk between the main campus and city centre for both places because it’s not far (15 minutes in Manchester I think and bit less for Leeds)

Always good to see some of the city on foot, especially the area around the unis, to get a bit of a feel for it. Hope all goes well, exciting times.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:20 - Oct 26 with 991 viewsFtnfwest

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:18 - Oct 26 by Herbivore

Always good to see some of the city on foot, especially the area around the unis, to get a bit of a feel for it. Hope all goes well, exciting times.

Her brothers in 3rd year at Notts and loving that but she wants a piece of the action! Off in a mo so cheers and we’ll see how it goes.
Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:22 - Oct 26 with 981 viewsFixed_It

Eldest son went to Leeds. Absolutely loved it up there.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:28 - Oct 26 with 968 viewsMullet

Both are great. I went to Manchester and mates went to Leeds.

There's more going on in Manchester and they've completely done up the Oxford Rd corridor in the last few years, so there's even more variety.

It depends what your daughter likes, Leeds from memory has a big student area in Otley and it's a bit more of a village feel. Manchester is probably the biggest student-friendly city in the country and that can go either way.

I'd say, have a look at the courses on offer at both in detail too if she can't decide as I didn't and with hindsight should have picked better modules.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:31 - Oct 26 with 961 viewsbrazil1981

Son was at Leeds for 3 years recently and loved it! Campus is pretty much a self contained ‘quarter’ 20 mins walk from City Centre, although they seem to spend a lot of time on the other side of the Uni in Headingley (around the cricket ground). He always felt safe walking around this part of town which is basically dominated by students with loads of shops, bars, takeaways & restaurants. In between the Uni and Headingley is a massive estate of Victorian back to backs called Royal/Hyde Park. Looks really grim and housing is poor, however after first year most of kids decide to rent around there and seem perfectly happy 😆! Again, think it’s mostly student land and despite appearances he always felt safe walking around on his own.
He’s a bit of a party animal and night life is superb apparently. Obviously depends on course and what they have to say, however think Leeds Uni has quite a good reputation.
Don’t know your situation, however if looking at University of Leeds rather than Leeds Beckett and she’s a bit worried about her A level grades, you may wish to check out their ‘Access to Leeds’ scheme!
Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:40 - Oct 26 with 927 viewsSaleAway

As someone who has lived in Manchester for about 18 years now, its a cracking city... Fallowfield into town is fairly easy, loads of buses, and they've added some proper cycle lanes now too, so getting about on the Oxford Road is dead easy. Loads going on... music scene is amazing... I'm not so up on clubbing anymore, but son of friend has just moved here post graduation from Liverpool, as wanted to spend more time in the city, so clearly got something going for it for the young'uns!

As with most uni stuff though, as long as they make good friends, they'll have a great time anywhere. Make sure the course is good, but both locations should provide an excellent few years.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Login to get fewer ads

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 09:14 - Oct 26 with 862 viewsKeno

To blend in have you got your English to northern phrase book and your clothes from the '70's?

and just remember to tell them there is really amazing sport called Rugby Union. proper Rugby, not that that stuff they place up there.

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 09:24 - Oct 26 with 840 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Huddersfield.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 09:40 - Oct 26 with 814 viewsblue62

My son went to Leeds Uni and loved it, he would def recommend it and it's a traditional campus-based uni the buildings are amazing.

Daughter went to Sheffield she also loved that and the City.
Right off up north today and tomorrow on 09:46 - Oct 26 with 795 viewsGuthrum

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 08:03 - Oct 26 by Herbivore

Manchester/Salford is growing at an insane rate, housing tower blocks springing up almost overnight. From spending a couple of months working up there a) it rains a lot and b) the locals are, in the main, extremely friendly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 10:06 - Oct 26 with 768 viewsusm

Daughter 1 went to Manchester and loved it.
Daughter 2 went to Roehampton and loved it.
Daughter 3 is currently at Cumbria and is loving it.

Hope this helps.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Right off up north today and tomorrow on 10:28 - Oct 26 with 736 viewsBasingstokeBlue

Don't forget to pop over to Barnard Castle and test your sight before returning.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024