Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) 19:27 - Oct 26 with 1052 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:52 - Oct 26 with 996 viewsdickie

I can't believe you're making me Google it
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:55 - Oct 26 with 986 viewsronnyd

Could go on for years.
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:57 - Oct 26 with 981 viewsNthsuffolkblue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:52 - Oct 26 by dickie

I can't believe you're making me Google it

Yeah, watching on a different device so didn't have the link handy. If someone had said "Link?" I would have done it for you.

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 20:00 - Oct 26 with 965 viewsdickie

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:57 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Yeah, watching on a different device so didn't have the link handy. If someone had said "Link?" I would have done it for you.

Haha thank you, I Googled it (was well worth the 3 seconds of effort 👍🏽)
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:23 - Oct 26 with 853 viewsBlueForYou

There was another one live on YouTube this morning, in Iceland, although positively League One compared to La Palma.
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:26 - Oct 26 with 849 viewsStokieBlue

Interestingly (or not), basically all of La Palma is volcano it's structure is permiated with sea water so at some point in the next 5 or so eruptions there is a good chance that half the island will slip into the sea and send a 1000ft high tsunami towards the entire eastern seaboard of the USA.

It'll be like Lituya Bay on a massive scale.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:27 - Oct 26 with 845 viewsSwansea_Blue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:55 - Oct 26 by ronnyd

Could go on for years.

Awful isn't it. These things run on geological timescales they're so damn slow

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:31 - Oct 26 with 836 viewsNthsuffolkblue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:26 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

Interestingly (or not), basically all of La Palma is volcano it's structure is permiated with sea water so at some point in the next 5 or so eruptions there is a good chance that half the island will slip into the sea and send a 1000ft high tsunami towards the entire eastern seaboard of the USA.

It'll be like Lituya Bay on a massive scale.

SB

Ouch! That could potentially be this eruption or they are confident it isn't?

Login to get fewer ads

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:31 - Oct 26 with 836 viewsSwansea_Blue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 19:57 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

The sound is extra impressive on top of the already impressive pictures. I love stuff like this. Geological/natural hazards used to be my thing and work for quite a few years, so I always get over excited at death and destruction on a massive scale(!). Mother nature is so incredibly powerful and majestic.

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:34 - Oct 26 with 825 viewswkj

That's one lovely eruption, takes me back to high school.

(Cerro Negro, Nicaragua)

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:36 - Oct 26 with 816 viewsbazza

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:31 - Oct 26 by Swansea_Blue

The sound is extra impressive on top of the already impressive pictures. I love stuff like this. Geological/natural hazards used to be my thing and work for quite a few years, so I always get over excited at death and destruction on a massive scale(!). Mother nature is so incredibly powerful and majestic.

Always found it bizarre, people building houses in close proximity to a volcano, bit like tornado alley, another place I tend not to look at on right move.. some cracking footage on the news earlier of massive lava blocks floating along..
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:39 - Oct 26 with 802 viewswkj

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:36 - Oct 26 by bazza

Always found it bizarre, people building houses in close proximity to a volcano, bit like tornado alley, another place I tend not to look at on right move.. some cracking footage on the news earlier of massive lava blocks floating along..

It is much like why people have built houses on flood plains - it is the most fertile soil you can find - healthy top soil is more valuable than gold. In the future it may be the best place to live for survivial.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:40 - Oct 26 with 801 viewsNthsuffolkblue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:36 - Oct 26 by bazza

Volcanic soil is very fertile and the landscape often spectacular. I am sure there is not always a lot of choice where some people live.

To continue to build along fault lines seems crass but when you already have a city there I suppose it isn't practical to stop it expanding.

I guess some people either don't see the risk or balance it as an unlikely occurrence.

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:40 - Oct 26 with 800 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:34 - Oct 26 by wkj

That's one lovely eruption, takes me back to high school.

(Cerro Negro, Nicaragua)

Reminds me of obsessively watching the oil spilling into the sea after Deep Water Horizon. But this one is prettier!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:46 - Oct 26 with 784 viewsSwansea_Blue

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:40 - Oct 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Volcanic soil is very fertile and the landscape often spectacular. I am sure there is not always a lot of choice where some people live.

To continue to build along fault lines seems crass but when you already have a city there I suppose it isn't practical to stop it expanding.

I guess some people either don't see the risk or balance it as an unlikely occurrence.

Yeah, not only fertile soil but also many years between eruptions. We're bored of wearing masks and socially distancing after 18 months, so it doesn't take a huge leap to realise why people would move back into geologically hazardous areas after a decade or two.

This was the last thing I worked on before hanging up my practitioner boots (not my video). A massive landslide (collapse of a valley side really) blocking the Hunza Valley in Pakistan, and cutting off one of their main tourist areas and trading routes to China. As a result there's now a 15 mile long lake behind this natural dam, which ironically given this was a bad thing has now become a tourist attraction (it does look lovely in fairness).

Picture of the lake (the last lodge I stayed in is under that somewhere):

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 22:52]

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:58 - Oct 26 with 746 viewsbazza

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:39 - Oct 26 by wkj

It is much like why people have built houses on flood plains - it is the most fertile soil you can find - healthy top soil is more valuable than gold. In the future it may be the best place to live for survivial.

Going back many years you would be correct.. now days it’s mainly down to developers making shed loads of money from otherwise unsellable land..
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 23:00 - Oct 26 with 744 viewsXYZ

La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 22:46 - Oct 26 by Swansea_Blue

Yeah, not only fertile soil but also many years between eruptions. We're bored of wearing masks and socially distancing after 18 months, so it doesn't take a huge leap to realise why people would move back into geologically hazardous areas after a decade or two.

This was the last thing I worked on before hanging up my practitioner boots (not my video). A massive landslide (collapse of a valley side really) blocking the Hunza Valley in Pakistan, and cutting off one of their main tourist areas and trading routes to China. As a result there's now a 15 mile long lake behind this natural dam, which ironically given this was a bad thing has now become a tourist attraction (it does look lovely in fairness).

Picture of the lake (the last lodge I stayed in is under that somewhere):

Anyway, I'm hijacking the thread.
[Post edited 26 Oct 2021 22:52]

What caused the landslide?
La Palma volcano quite impressive on YouTube live feed tonight (n/t) on 00:10 - Oct 27 with 701 viewsfactual_blue

We've been to La Palma a couple of times. The holiday rep on both occasions told us one of the most interesting parts of his job was when he met confused people at La Palma airport, who thought they'd in fact booked a flight to Las Palmas on Tenerife. That wasn't too difficult to sort out as there'd be a local flight they could get.

More challenging were those who'd thought they were arriving at Palma in Mallorca, where they had accommodation booked and a car hired. They would have to fly to either Madrid or Barcelona to get to Mallorca. Curiously, he observed, by this point it was his fault. Not theirs for being illiterate.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024