Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good for this guy… 10:38 - Oct 27 with 1649 viewschicoazul

Josh Cavallo: 'I'm a footballer and I'm gay,' says Australian player https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-59060323

But I think we should all ask ourselves why more footballers don’t do this? Are we doing things to make gay footballers feel so uncomfortable with coming out?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Good for this guy… on 10:42 - Oct 27 with 1618 viewsfooters

Unfortunately, there's still a small pocket of either outright bigotted people, or those who get a bit too lairy after their second Strongbow Dark Fruits, who seem to think homophobia is still a bit of bantz. And there's also the issue that many people (stewards included) simply don't stand up and give these pr1cks what for.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Good for this guy… on 10:46 - Oct 27 with 1596 viewsElderGrizzly

"we should all ask ourselves why more footballers don’t do this?"

Literally a case in the last month at our own club would tell you why some may not. Some of the chants etc are still seen as 'bantz'
Good for this guy… on 10:48 - Oct 27 with 1581 viewsEwan_Oozami

Don't want to upset the working classes....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Good for this guy… on 10:48 - Oct 27 with 1584 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I would like to think that if a footballer in the Uk came out as gay they would be treated no different from anyone else by fans/players. Unfortunately there is a lot of not nice people, it’s about making sure these people are called out.

Full respect to this fella for coming out and hopefully this empowers other closeted Gay footballers to do the same.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Good for this guy… on 10:53 - Oct 27 with 1545 viewsGlasgowBlue

Because they would be absolutely slaughtered by the knuckledraggers.

On a side note, my 14 daughter is in the same class with a couple of trans kids. They get absolutely no sh1t, which is as it should be. I can’t conceive of this happening when I was her age. They would have been mercilessly torn to shreds.

Progress and tolerance is good.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Good for this guy… on 11:02 - Oct 27 with 1496 viewsDarth_Koont

Good for this guy… on 10:48 - Oct 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

I would like to think that if a footballer in the Uk came out as gay they would be treated no different from anyone else by fans/players. Unfortunately there is a lot of not nice people, it’s about making sure these people are called out.

Full respect to this fella for coming out and hopefully this empowers other closeted Gay footballers to do the same.

I think you’re right that the vast majority of fans and fellow players wouldn’t have an issue.

But I think the stakes are just too high at the moment for an individual. Revealing your sexuality is no small thing in private life, but in public and it becoming global news!!?? Hopefully the dam will burst as younger players are more able to be open about their sexuality when they’re starting out.

On the flip side, lesbianism is nowadays barely an issue in women’s sport. So not sure what that says about male sport and/or sexuality.

Pronouns: He/Him

Good for this guy… on 11:09 - Oct 27 with 1468 viewschicoazul

Good for this guy… on 10:48 - Oct 27 by TRUE_BLUE123

I think you are right about the large majority of fans. Sadly I think you may be wrong about their colleagues and opponents on the field.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Good for this guy… on 12:12 - Oct 27 with 1352 viewsChurchman

Good for this guy… on 10:53 - Oct 27 by GlasgowBlue

Because they would be absolutely slaughtered by the knuckledraggers.

On a side note, my 14 daughter is in the same class with a couple of trans kids. They get absolutely no sh1t, which is as it should be. I can’t conceive of this happening when I was her age. They would have been mercilessly torn to shreds.

Progress and tolerance is good.

Agree with that 100%. I shudder when I think how it was when I was at school. Thank goodness it’s a different world now. Still a heck of a long way to go, I know, but I hope and think we are heading in the right direction.

It’s all about progress.
Login to get fewer ads

Good for this guy… on 12:37 - Oct 27 with 1275 viewslowhouseblue

has there been any research on how many come out once they stop playing / leave the game? surely then some of the pressures against go away. i can't think of obvious examples amongst ex-pros?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Thomas Hitzlsperger.... on 12:45 - Oct 27 with 1209 viewsBloots

Good for this guy… on 12:37 - Oct 27 by lowhouseblue

has there been any research on how many come out once they stop playing / leave the game? surely then some of the pressures against go away. i can't think of obvious examples amongst ex-pros?

...is the highest profile I can think of.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Thomas Hitzlsperger.... on 12:49 - Oct 27 with 1180 viewsfooters

Thomas Hitzlsperger.... on 12:45 - Oct 27 by Bloots

...is the highest profile I can think of.

Rapinoe?

Good for this guy… on 12:49 - Oct 27 with 1180 viewsHighgateBlue

Good for him, and good on him. One can't criticise any gay player for choosing not to come out, but Mr Cavallo has done the world a great service by doing this. It will hopefully pave the way of one similar occurrence in the UK, followed hopefully by a stream of others, celebrated by the vast majority of fans, shaming the minority of fans who doubtless will react appallingly. This process needed someone to be the first, and Mr Cavallo deserves many plaudits for being that first.

I doubt it is any easier for an Australian than a Brit. Australia is by and large a modern and enlightened country by global standards, but it has always had a very macho sporting culture, and in the past that has connoted homophobia.

I'm speaking here really of male sport. Women's sport has its own issues, and its own slant on the same issues. I don't mean to sideline that at all, but men in sport coming out as gay has obviously had far bigger obstacles than a woman coming out as gay in women's sports, for lots of reasons.
Good for this guy… on 12:50 - Oct 27 with 1174 viewsEwan_Oozami

Good for this guy… on 12:37 - Oct 27 by lowhouseblue

The pressures are still there - the media doesn't stop just because a player, especially a high-profile one, retires from the sport...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Good for this guy… on 12:56 - Oct 27 with 1136 viewslowhouseblue

Good for this guy… on 12:50 - Oct 27 by Ewan_Oozami

The pressures are still there - the media doesn't stop just because a player, especially a high-profile one, retires from the sport...

but some of the most obvious pressures are reduced - abuse from the crowds etc, bigotry in the dressing room? the high profile ones still face media pressure, but many ex pros fade into relative obscurity. just thought it would be interesting data.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Good for this guy… on 12:58 - Oct 27 with 1138 viewsJ2BLUE

Up to the Australians now to show players that you can come out and be accepted. I suspect what puts many players off is the thought of becoming the spokesman (there are plenty of gay female players) on homophobia within football and beyond.

The media need to get on board as well, do one story on it saying good news and then stop going on about it. Obviously if they get abuse that should be reported but if there are no issues just leave him alone to get on with his job.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 13:20]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Good for this guy… on 18:04 - Oct 27 with 899 viewseastangliaisblue

I can see why more don't come out with the abuse they would get. A good friend of mine is gay. He's a carpenter and spends his working life on building sites. Sadly he has felt it necessary to hide his sexuality at work for the last twenty years or so.
Good for this guy… on 18:06 - Oct 27 with 893 viewsjaykay

Good for this guy… on 10:42 - Oct 27 by footers

Unfortunately, there's still a small pocket of either outright bigotted people, or those who get a bit too lairy after their second Strongbow Dark Fruits, who seem to think homophobia is still a bit of bantz. And there's also the issue that many people (stewards included) simply don't stand up and give these pr1cks what for.

i agree with all you said , but didn't le saux suffer gay taunts from his fellow pros.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Thomas Hitzlsperger.... on 18:07 - Oct 27 with 885 viewsMullet

Thomas Hitzlsperger.... on 12:49 - Oct 27 by footers

Rapinoe?

The reaction she provokes from some of the specimens if football fans is an indication of what a male player might get unfortunately

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Good for this guy… on 18:10 - Oct 27 with 874 viewsfooters

Good for this guy… on 18:06 - Oct 27 by jaykay

i agree with all you said , but didn't le saux suffer gay taunts from his fellow pros.

For reading the Guardian, if I recall correctly.

So I guess if you're in any way intellectual (well, for a footballer) that makes you gay as well!

Good for this guy… on 19:09 - Oct 27 with 782 viewsfarkenhell

Good for this guy… on 18:10 - Oct 27 by footers

For reading the Guardian, if I recall correctly.

So I guess if you're in any way intellectual (well, for a footballer) that makes you gay as well!

Also his taunter-in-chief was Robbie Fowler, if I remember rightly. Who happens to be only a small step up from neanderthal, so perhaps we should forgive him.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024