Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? 10:45 - Oct 27 with 1171 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'm in desperate need of a few days away, somewhere cheap. Looking at Warsaw, as it looks nice and has a bit of Second World War history to it, which I'm interested in. I'd be going by myself, for a few days.

I've been to Krakow before, but would rather go somewhere new.

Can anyone recommend it?
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 10:45]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:55 - Oct 27 with 1131 viewsWeWereZombies

Went to Warsaw as part of my solo never been to Berlin or Poland jaunt four and a half years ago, interesting city for the Second World War history as you say but most of it, including the bits that look fourteenth century, was rebuilt in the decades after the war. That being said I Googled 'What to see in Warsaw' when I was there and the Daily Telegraph (far from my usual go to but the only sensible link that came up) recommended The Museum of the Polish Resistance. One of the most overwhelming museum experiences I have ever had:

https://www.1944.pl/en/article/the-warsaw-rising-museum,4516.html
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 10:57]

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:59 - Oct 27 with 1110 viewsWhos_blue

Warsaw is a great city and well worth a visit. I have family over there.
There is a lot of history and not all of it very pleasant, especially regarding the treatment of the Jewish population. The city was pretty much rebuilt after the war. The nazis had obliterated it.
The city is easy to navigate and public transport is very efficient.
I've been to a Legia game whilst visiting. That was pretty unique too.
There are plenty of parks and good walks. The food is good and the spiced hot vodka is always one to try!

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:59 - Oct 27 with 1109 viewsKeno

Have you though about Gdansk?

you could meet up with Noggin

Anyone been to Gdansk? by noggin 26 Oct 2021 18:21
Any good? I'm going next week for 3 nights, just to get away.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 11:02 - Oct 27 with 1097 viewsLesta_Tractor

Warsaw is nice for a few days. I quite liked the neon museum, the zoo and the multimedia fountain park.

Plenty of history around the old town and the orange umbrella walking tour was interesting.

EDIT: Łazienki Park is a good place to see red squirrels.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 11:12]

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 11:02 - Oct 27 with 1098 viewsitfcjoe

Yes - it's a very cool place - and the Intercontinental is a lovely hotel and not expensive.

Have stayed there a couple of times on stag dos

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 11:08 - Oct 27 with 1070 viewsElderGrizzly

Yes, good place to visit, stupidly cheap and easy to get around.

Stay around the main square (Intercontinental is a good option) and you'll be near all the main transport hubs too. Although the main tourist areas are very easy walking distance from there.

Quite a few good walking history tours, all done in English too.
Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 11:10 - Oct 27 with 1062 viewsfooters

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:59 - Oct 27 by Keno

He could even go to Port Elizabeth and meet Pecker and Fergal!

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 11:30 - Oct 27 with 1026 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Thanks for all the replies :) It's sounding good for a potential trip next week.

Login to get fewer ads

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 14:29 - Oct 27 with 860 viewsJamestownPrince

Lived in Warsaw for 10 years, until I moved down the road to West Bromwich
Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 14:43 - Oct 27 with 840 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Warsaw is booked. Going on Monday and coming back on Saturday.

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 15:45 - Oct 27 with 793 viewshatch

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 14:43 - Oct 27 by ThisIsMyUsername

Good shout. Personally ran out of activities on two days away there with mates, but the uprising museum was good and we spent a long time trying to find some famous old wall that wasn't there.

Much like Gdansk - the Pierogi was good, the old town was pretty and down by the river was nice.

I've got a wedding in Poznan next year so that'll be my 3rd escapade to Poland.
Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 20:10 - Oct 27 with 651 viewsWarsaw_blue

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 14:43 - Oct 27 by ThisIsMyUsername

If you are using the public transport I recommend downloading Jak do Jade on your phone.

https://jakdojade.pl/lista-miast

If you're flying into Chopin then its linked to the trams so easy to get to your hotel/hostel/apartment. If you're flying into Modlin its a way out so worth planning ahead. The cheapest way is a coach from Modlin to the Palace of Culture. Copernicus museum is nice.

Everything has already been mostly covered, I also recommend the Warsaw Uprising Museum and Neon light museum which have been mentioned.

If you fancy a bit of a wander head south of centrum and there is a pub in the park called Lolek where you can buy an item off the BBQ and fill your plate with all the cabbage, salad and fresh bread your heart desires. I believe Lolek might be a bit of a club in the evenings too.

Then just past Lolek is the Soviet Military Cemetery which I used to enjoy walking around.

If you need to buy some supplies then Biedronka is the budget supermarket chain.

My food recommendations:

Traditional: Zapiecek (it's a chain in Warsaw)
Breakfast: Charlotte (another small chain.)
Dessert: Manekin
Snack: Bar Warszawa

If you feel like meeting some people it might be worth hunting social media for some "tandem" meetings or "language exchange". They're often happy if a native English speaker turns up.

Have a lovely time and best of luck.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre The falcon cannot hear the falconer; Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 20:48 - Oct 27 with 599 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 20:10 - Oct 27 by Warsaw_blue

If you are using the public transport I recommend downloading Jak do Jade on your phone.

https://jakdojade.pl/lista-miast

If you're flying into Chopin then its linked to the trams so easy to get to your hotel/hostel/apartment. If you're flying into Modlin its a way out so worth planning ahead. The cheapest way is a coach from Modlin to the Palace of Culture. Copernicus museum is nice.

Everything has already been mostly covered, I also recommend the Warsaw Uprising Museum and Neon light museum which have been mentioned.

If you fancy a bit of a wander head south of centrum and there is a pub in the park called Lolek where you can buy an item off the BBQ and fill your plate with all the cabbage, salad and fresh bread your heart desires. I believe Lolek might be a bit of a club in the evenings too.

Then just past Lolek is the Soviet Military Cemetery which I used to enjoy walking around.

If you need to buy some supplies then Biedronka is the budget supermarket chain.

My food recommendations:

Traditional: Zapiecek (it's a chain in Warsaw)
Breakfast: Charlotte (another small chain.)
Dessert: Manekin
Snack: Bar Warszawa

If you feel like meeting some people it might be worth hunting social media for some "tandem" meetings or "language exchange". They're often happy if a native English speaker turns up.

Have a lovely time and best of luck.

Manekin is outstanding but I'd get lunch there. Pancakes there are the business.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 20:53 - Oct 27 with 581 viewsbazza

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:59 - Oct 27 by Keno

Don’t meet up With him if your English, he doesn’t like the English..
Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 21:01 - Oct 27 with 575 viewskeighleyblue

Is Warsaw a decent place for a break? on 10:55 - Oct 27 by WeWereZombies

Went to Warsaw as part of my solo never been to Berlin or Poland jaunt four and a half years ago, interesting city for the Second World War history as you say but most of it, including the bits that look fourteenth century, was rebuilt in the decades after the war. That being said I Googled 'What to see in Warsaw' when I was there and the Daily Telegraph (far from my usual go to but the only sensible link that came up) recommended The Museum of the Polish Resistance. One of the most overwhelming museum experiences I have ever had:

https://www.1944.pl/en/article/the-warsaw-rising-museum,4516.html
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 10:57]

maybe next year:- according to their website

PLAN YOUR VISIT:
OPENING HOURS:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - closed,
Thursday - closed,
Saturday and Sunday - closed,
Tuesday - closed
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024