Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very tough league games ahead 12:31 - Oct 27 with 4321 viewsTooManyCooks

Next 4 league games are all against top 6 opposition, no idea how many points we can gather from those. If it was offered, I think I'd happily take 6 points as it stands now (whilst hoping for more). Also, pre league 1, it felt like we used to do better against the top sides and be disappointing against the dross, not sure we can even try and measure that dynamic now though, given the current team isn't the finished article yet.

One thing for certain, this board is going to be a rollercoaster through November! lol

EDIT: I'm not going to change the text above, but given that I have been made aware that we face 5 of the next 6 games against top 6 teams, I'm going to say I'd happy with 8/9 points from those fixtures, i'll stick with my 6 points from 4 though

[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 14:02]

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Very tough league games ahead on 12:38 - Oct 27 with 2365 viewsclive_baker

Well wasn’t it Aristotle who said, ‘life is a rollercoaster, just gotta ride it’?

I need you. Ooh.

So stop hiding.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Very tough league games ahead on 12:41 - Oct 27 with 2348 viewsFBI

Very tough league games ahead on 12:38 - Oct 27 by clive_baker

Well wasn’t it Aristotle who said, ‘life is a rollercoaster, just gotta ride it’?

I need you. Ooh.

So stop hiding.

I think you misquoted. Wasn't it 'Get on up when you're down, baby just take a good look around...'?

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Very tough league games ahead on 12:50 - Oct 27 with 2305 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 12:38 - Oct 27 by clive_baker

I need you. Ooh.

So stop hiding.

Maybe the Irish Aristotle?

Very tough league games ahead on 13:03 - Oct 27 with 2266 viewsThe_Realist_09

I still don't think we're quite there yet collectively, but certainly getting there.

If we can limit these teams to 1 goal or under, we can beat anyone through individual quality in the forward areas.

Edmundson looks to be settling in now which is great for our defence. Love the fact that he's noticeably calling people out and holding them accountable for mistakes on the pitch, no matter who they are. (Most recent one was Celina on Sat giving the ball away cheaply).
Very tough league games ahead on 13:06 - Oct 27 with 2255 viewsIllinoisblue

Very tough league games ahead on 12:50 - Oct 27 by TooManyCooks

Maybe the Irish Aristotle?

There is only one

Aristote "Toto" Nsiala is a Congolese professional footballer who plays as a centre back for Ipswich Town. He has also represented DR Congo at international level.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 13:07]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Very tough league games ahead on 13:22 - Oct 27 with 2197 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:03 - Oct 27 by The_Realist_09

I still don't think we're quite there yet collectively, but certainly getting there.

If we can limit these teams to 1 goal or under, we can beat anyone through individual quality in the forward areas.

Edmundson looks to be settling in now which is great for our defence. Love the fact that he's noticeably calling people out and holding them accountable for mistakes on the pitch, no matter who they are. (Most recent one was Celina on Sat giving the ball away cheaply).

We've definitely got firepower and the defence has been very good lately too tbf, but I suspect that aspect will come under far greater scrutiny over the next few games, which is why I think it's going to get tetchy in here, hopefully we surprise everybody on that front. I honestly don't know what to expect results wise, which feels weird, but not in an entirely unpleasant way. For me, if we go down fighting against some of these teams, no issues, I'd just like to see some mental toughness on display and no signs of a Bolton.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:24 - Oct 27 with 2183 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:06 - Oct 27 by Illinoisblue

There is only one

Aristote "Toto" Nsiala is a Congolese professional footballer who plays as a centre back for Ipswich Town. He has also represented DR Congo at international level.
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 13:07]

Do you reckon he's back as a fixed name in the starting 11 now? Cook seems to be a big fan, but I don't suppose Burgess is going to be too happy as a sub and Edmundson is our most expensive signing. Nice to have a problem like that though I guess, as opposed to forced changes etc.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:26 - Oct 27 with 2174 viewsHerbivore

Genuinely amazed that some fans would happily take 6 points from this next batch of games. It's a great chance to make up some ground and none of these teams are actually good in the grand scheme of things, they're just less rubbish than most of the dross in this league. We've got a 5 game run coming up where if we take just 6 points it leaves us on 26 points from 19 games. That's a really poor position to be in for a side with promotion aspirations. Had we been offered that at the start of the season we wouldn't have taken it and I suspect most would have said it's the kind of start that would see Cook in trouble, and rightly so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Very tough league games ahead on 13:31 - Oct 27 with 2139 viewsGarv

I'll accept 12 points.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Very tough league games ahead on 13:35 - Oct 27 with 2117 viewsfooters

Very tough league games ahead on 13:26 - Oct 27 by Herbivore

Genuinely amazed that some fans would happily take 6 points from this next batch of games. It's a great chance to make up some ground and none of these teams are actually good in the grand scheme of things, they're just less rubbish than most of the dross in this league. We've got a 5 game run coming up where if we take just 6 points it leaves us on 26 points from 19 games. That's a really poor position to be in for a side with promotion aspirations. Had we been offered that at the start of the season we wouldn't have taken it and I suspect most would have said it's the kind of start that would see Cook in trouble, and rightly so.

You'd hope our performances improve against top sides who actually come to play instead of frustrate, given Cook's formation and style.

But I'll tell you summat for nowt, this tactically inflexibility is starting to grind my gears somewhat. Cook seems to have no Plan B which is a real concern.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Very tough league games ahead on 13:37 - Oct 27 with 2104 viewshomer_123

Very tough league games ahead on 13:35 - Oct 27 by footers

You'd hope our performances improve against top sides who actually come to play instead of frustrate, given Cook's formation and style.

But I'll tell you summat for nowt, this tactically inflexibility is starting to grind my gears somewhat. Cook seems to have no Plan B which is a real concern.

Plans Bs are overrated.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Very tough league games ahead on 13:38 - Oct 27 with 2101 viewsDinDjarin

The next 5 games are against top 6.
Very tough league games ahead on 13:38 - Oct 27 with 2094 viewsfooters

Very tough league games ahead on 13:37 - Oct 27 by homer_123

Plans Bs are overrated.

He was an OK rapper I guess but times have moved on since Reading Festival 2006.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Very tough league games ahead on 13:46 - Oct 27 with 2066 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:38 - Oct 27 by DinDjarin

Not according to the fixture thingy I looked at, ignoring the cup games it says Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham, Crewe (bottom currently)

Very tough league games ahead on 13:49 - Oct 27 with 2057 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Truth is we need to be getting the points whoever we are up against. Tough 6 fixtures coming up. Need to get 10 points minimum from them. If we can beat teams above us it narrows the gap. An important month to build momentum. COYB!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Very tough league games ahead on 13:51 - Oct 27 with 2046 viewsHerbivore

Very tough league games ahead on 13:35 - Oct 27 by footers

Welcome to the board, nice to see some new faces on here.

I'm still very uncertain about whether we'll look better against the better sides. Our five wins have all come against sides in the bottom half and we've not beaten any top half side as yet. Some of the better sides in this league also set up to frustrate, they just do it more effectively than the lesser sides. I also still have flashbacks over a competent but unspectacular Bolton side making us collapse by applying the slightest bit of attacking pressure.

Certainly we'll know more about where we're at and what's achievable after this run of fixtures. Recent form has been good but we've got to sustain that now, not accept a regression back to a little over a point a game just because we're playing sides that are slightly less crap.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:54 - Oct 27 with 2025 viewsHerbivore

Very tough league games ahead on 13:46 - Oct 27 by TooManyCooks

Not according to the fixture thingy I looked at, ignoring the cup games it says Wycombe, Oxford, Sunderland, Rotherham, Crewe (bottom currently)

You've missed our next game against Plymouth.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:55 - Oct 27 with 2029 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:26 - Oct 27 by Herbivore

Just looked at the next 4, in isolation (as they are top 6 teams currently) and I don't subscribe to the "not good in the grand scheme of things" view, these clubs are positioned according to their performances and have reached them on merit. We are not Chelsea, or Liverpool, we are a new squad in League 1 and don't deserve to be labelled as anything other and we certainly don't have the right to label other teams as "less rubbish" simply because we were a good club 45/50 years ago, times change and we are just another name battling it out in the third tier of English football, we have a history, but it's not very recent history I'm afraid, we have been a club on the decline and need to earn our bragging rights again.

With regard to promotion aspirations, we are 4 points off the playoffs with 32 games remaining, so I'm certainly not feeling anything other than positive after our recent improved form and optimistic of the remainder of the season. There will be bumps in the road, but we have a chance.

I suspect if you offered any manager of a club in our position, in any league in the world, the opportunity of taking 6 points from the next 4 games against top 6 sides, I suspect they'd bite your hand off.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:57 - Oct 27 with 2018 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:38 - Oct 27 by DinDjarin

Sorry, I take it all back, I just found the bloody Plymouth game hiding under a bit of marketing at the top of the page! My bad

Very tough league games ahead on 13:58 - Oct 27 with 2010 viewsHerbivore

Very tough league games ahead on 13:55 - Oct 27 by TooManyCooks

Just looked at the next 4, in isolation (as they are top 6 teams currently) and I don't subscribe to the "not good in the grand scheme of things" view, these clubs are positioned according to their performances and have reached them on merit. We are not Chelsea, or Liverpool, we are a new squad in League 1 and don't deserve to be labelled as anything other and we certainly don't have the right to label other teams as "less rubbish" simply because we were a good club 45/50 years ago, times change and we are just another name battling it out in the third tier of English football, we have a history, but it's not very recent history I'm afraid, we have been a club on the decline and need to earn our bragging rights again.

With regard to promotion aspirations, we are 4 points off the playoffs with 32 games remaining, so I'm certainly not feeling anything other than positive after our recent improved form and optimistic of the remainder of the season. There will be bumps in the road, but we have a chance.

I suspect if you offered any manager of a club in our position, in any league in the world, the opportunity of taking 6 points from the next 4 games against top 6 sides, I suspect they'd bite your hand off.

Disagree with more or less all of that.

Very tough league games ahead on 13:58 - Oct 27 with 2012 viewsTooManyCooks

Very tough league games ahead on 13:54 - Oct 27 by Herbivore

You've missed our next game against Plymouth.

Yep, the bloody marketing all over every page I open on Google was hiding it, does my head in that stuff.

Very tough league games ahead on 14:01 - Oct 27 with 2002 viewstractorboy1978

Very tough league games ahead on 13:55 - Oct 27 by TooManyCooks

I'm not judging us on 45/50 years ago, I'm judging us on now. We have the most expensively assembled squad in the division, packed full of proven top L1 and Championship players.
Very tough league games ahead on 14:06 - Oct 27 with 1950 viewsIllinoisblue

Very tough league games ahead on 14:01 - Oct 27 by tractorboy1978

I'm not judging us on 45/50 years ago, I'm judging us on now. We have the most expensively assembled squad in the division, packed full of proven top L1 and Championship players.

Who are the proven Championship players? Morsy, Bonne, Walton (?). Any more?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Very tough league games ahead on 14:08 - Oct 27 with 1939 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Very tough league games ahead on 14:06 - Oct 27 by Illinoisblue

Celina

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Very tough league games ahead on 14:11 - Oct 27 with 1928 viewstractorboy1978

Very tough league games ahead on 14:06 - Oct 27 by Illinoisblue

Carroll, Celina, Aluko, Chaplin. And Evans, Harper, Penney, Edwards have well over 100 Championship games between them too.

Edit - and Coulson!
[Post edited 27 Oct 2021 14:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024