Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday 09:45 - Oct 31 with 1724 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Every time there was a good tackle/challenge the Argyle players threw themselves on the floor, and the ref fell for it every time. Cook has our team playing honest football, where we just try to outplay the opposition, but maybe to get out of this league you need to be a bit more streetwise. Argyle's feigning of fouls just broke our play up so many times.

Poll: would you rather

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 11:47 - Oct 31 with 1581 viewsDarth_Koont

I didn’t cover it in my summary of the game because I think we needed to shoulder responsibility for the loss first.

But probably the worst referee of the season so far. Unduly fussy and slow but also bought everything Plymouth tried to sell him. Not sure it would have helped us to do the same – I think the lack of rhythm and bitty-ness the ref brought to the game wasn’t helping us at all.

Pronouns: He/Him

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 14:38 - Oct 31 with 1471 viewsArnieM

I think I’ve seen this from ALL our opponents this season. It’s called conning the ref , and it appears to work. Wonder when our players are going to “ catch on” and avoid lunging in around our area and try and stay in their feet …. And perhaps have go st the “ platoon fall “ themselves around the opponents box?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:03 - Oct 31 with 1369 viewsVaughan8

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 14:38 - Oct 31 by ArnieM

I think I’ve seen this from ALL our opponents this season. It’s called conning the ref , and it appears to work. Wonder when our players are going to “ catch on” and avoid lunging in around our area and try and stay in their feet …. And perhaps have go st the “ platoon fall “ themselves around the opponents box?

Definitely. You have to calibrate the refs, they are all different. a bit of research would probably give a good idea. DO teams do this?

We always seem to fall foul of this or we cotton on too late.

I hate all the falling over in modern football but if you cant beat them.....We need to be more "street-wise"
Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:38 - Oct 31 with 1323 viewsEdwardStone

Very amusing moment early in the second half. A Plymouth player hurled himself to the ground *again* and all our guys stopped, anticipating the whistle blowing. But, to everyone's surprise, Ref just waved play on.

Our players looked dumbfounded
Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 22:56 - Oct 31 with 1176 viewsStenvict

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:38 - Oct 31 by EdwardStone

Very amusing moment early in the second half. A Plymouth player hurled himself to the ground *again* and all our guys stopped, anticipating the whistle blowing. But, to everyone's surprise, Ref just waved play on.

Our players looked dumbfounded

Not sure if it was the same incident, but it happened very late on when Harper had the ball for us. He was very much expecting a foul to be given, thus pausing before continuing the attack.

The most frustrating fouls were the ones given against Bonne. The defender went down so easily every time, just from a tap.

Poll: What will be announced first?

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 08:48 - Nov 1 with 1025 viewswhymark4lazio0

Don't normally agree with blaming the referee but this one was very poor. The stats suggest he was a 'homer'- Plymouth fouls conceded just 4, Ipswich 18! Incredibly at halftime it was even worse- Plymouth 0, Ipswich 10.

Poll: Should these Polls show number of votes as well as percentages?

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 10:27 - Nov 1 with 941 viewsDavoIPB

Yep we are definitely not streetwise when it comes to fouling the opposition. Especially Bonne and Morsy. Be interested to know how many fouls Morsy has given away in near the edge of our box.

At least Paul Cook was aware of it and mentioned it in his post match analysis. Said we couldn't keep giving fouls away in dangerous areas.
Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:05 - Nov 1 with 747 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 10:27 - Nov 1 by DavoIPB

Yep we are definitely not streetwise when it comes to fouling the opposition. Especially Bonne and Morsy. Be interested to know how many fouls Morsy has given away in near the edge of our box.

At least Paul Cook was aware of it and mentioned it in his post match analysis. Said we couldn't keep giving fouls away in dangerous areas.

Mentioning it afterwards is too late!

Bobby Robson used to warn the players what sort of referee to expect before the game started, and that was before all the research and analytics available to today's managers.
Login to get fewer ads

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:22 - Nov 1 with 733 viewsTractorWood

Thanks. From the highlights it looked like we missed a chance akin to an open goal in the first half and can't defend.

Glad to hear it was actually the refs fault.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 20:23 - Nov 1 with 645 viewstractorshark

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 17:22 - Nov 1 by TractorWood

Thanks. From the highlights it looked like we missed a chance akin to an open goal in the first half and can't defend.

Glad to hear it was actually the refs fault.

The ref didn’t cost us the game - poor defending and 4 missed chances did that - but he was absolute toilet.

Fussy, inconsistent and mugged off by Plymouth’s inability to stand up with an Ipswich player less than 3 yards away.

Kept warning them about time wasting but never did anything about it. That said I didn’t think the handball appeal after Harper’s missed chance was a penalty and I agree with Cook that we have to stop giving away stupid free-kicks in dangerous areas.

If you know the opposition are theatrical and the ref is going to fall for it, don’t make it easy for them.
Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 21:04 - Nov 1 with 582 viewsTractorWood

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 20:23 - Nov 1 by tractorshark

The ref didn’t cost us the game - poor defending and 4 missed chances did that - but he was absolute toilet.

Fussy, inconsistent and mugged off by Plymouth’s inability to stand up with an Ipswich player less than 3 yards away.

Kept warning them about time wasting but never did anything about it. That said I didn’t think the handball appeal after Harper’s missed chance was a penalty and I agree with Cook that we have to stop giving away stupid free-kicks in dangerous areas.

If you know the opposition are theatrical and the ref is going to fall for it, don’t make it easy for them.

So our naivety is the problem or the ref?

It's 2021 football, if you are chasing the ball down, a mere touch to a defender is a foul. The answer is don't touch the player, not touch the player and blame the ref because the opposition are theatrical. We do the same, we got given some ridiculous free kicks our way against Cambridge.

People confuse their own personal frustrations and lack of understanding of the rules with bad reffing. Watch the next time an away player tries to take a corner with the ball hanging over the quadrant or when a player knees it back to a keeper and the crowd have no idea if it's a backpass.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 21:17 - Nov 1 with 567 viewstractorshark

Plymouth played the weak ref yesterday on 21:04 - Nov 1 by TractorWood

So our naivety is the problem or the ref?

It's 2021 football, if you are chasing the ball down, a mere touch to a defender is a foul. The answer is don't touch the player, not touch the player and blame the ref because the opposition are theatrical. We do the same, we got given some ridiculous free kicks our way against Cambridge.

People confuse their own personal frustrations and lack of understanding of the rules with bad reffing. Watch the next time an away player tries to take a corner with the ball hanging over the quadrant or when a player knees it back to a keeper and the crowd have no idea if it's a backpass.

I don’t disagree with any of that, although I would add the remit for refs ever since the Euros is to try to let play flow and don’t give fouls for minimal contact.
A good example of that was at Lincoln where Celina threw himself to the ground regularly but got nothing from the ref. And rightly so.
The problem with Saturday’s ref was consistency. There were some very soft decisions and when he got stick from the crowd, particularly towards the end, he let more blatant fouls go. Harper was guilty of a clear push in the last couple of minutes that even the players seemed to stop, waiting for a whistle that never came.
Like I say, we didn’t lose because of the ref and, yes, we need to cut out the silly fouls.
But the ref’s performance was poor on Saturday.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024