Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luton (a) 1996 - random query 11:13 - Oct 31 with 895 viewsTrumptonBlue

Was anyone there? I was, it was a great day. We won 2-1, Boncho came on for them and got a song and a standing ovation from the away end.

Now, I was certain that we won the game in the last minute with Simon Milton's second goal, but a home programme from later in the season suggests that Milton was subbed in the 72nd minute. So, is the programme wrong, or has my memory embellished the day and fabricated the last-minuteness of the winner?
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 11:31 - Oct 31 with 857 viewsgainsboroughblue

Milton definitely got both goals.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 11:51 - Oct 31 with 818 viewsLetchworth_Blue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 11:31 - Oct 31 by gainsboroughblue

Yeo...I was there and deffo saw SM get the goals.
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:06 - Oct 31 with 796 viewsParisBlue

Yes, was a good day. First year after relegation and we were on a decent run. Missed out on the playoffs on last day of the season, Milton player of the year.

Luton booed Bontcho when he came on. He applauded the away fans at the final whistle.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:11 - Oct 31 with 790 viewsTrumptonBlue

Thanks, all, Milton definitely scored both goals, but it seems I did invent the last-minute winner.

I have dug out issue 39 of the Those Were The Days fanzine (whatever happened to that?) and the match report says "We took the lead, let them back into it but, unlike other recent games, we went straight back up the other end and scored again." So perhaps the euphoria I remember was due to the immediate response to the equaliser rather than to a last-minute winner.
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:39 - Oct 31 with 754 viewsChurchman

Agreed. I was at the game and I’m sure he got both.

Good player was Simon Milton. He had one heck of a shot on him too. I remember that during this period we played a league cup game at Fulham. Milton crashed one in I think to equalise and was promptly carried around by his team mates like a dead body.

The portaloos were overflowing and I had the most pestilential beefburger I’ve ever had in my life. Grey is not a great colour for a beefburger. Add in a stale bun and flaccid greasy cheese and the horror was complete.
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:41 - Oct 31 with 751 viewspatrickswell

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:11 - Oct 31 by TrumptonBlue

Thanks, all, Milton definitely scored both goals, but it seems I did invent the last-minute winner.

I have dug out issue 39 of the Those Were The Days fanzine (whatever happened to that?) and the match report says "We took the lead, let them back into it but, unlike other recent games, we went straight back up the other end and scored again." So perhaps the euphoria I remember was due to the immediate response to the equaliser rather than to a last-minute winner.

The winner was scored after 51 minutes. The euphoria may have been down to the fact that this was 2 minutes after Luton equalised.

Edit - sorry I didn’t read your last post all the way through.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2021 12:42]
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 13:14 - Oct 31 with 718 viewsstonojnr

yep Im guessing it was that game, as none of the other times weve played them would fit, tbh I dont remember much about the game other than we won, and probably had a good night out in St Albans afterwards to celebrate.

but I do remember their ground being absolutely shocking, the walk to the ground, the away fans entrance being literally like walking into a house and up their stairs, the seat rows being so close together you could sit in your seat and rest your legs on the ground of the row in front. their exec boxes being like some double glazing patio doors theyd just borrowed, I think someone near us tried the burgers and only ate half of it, we might moan the roofs dont get cleaned at portman road, or the paint is a bit faded, but sometimes you visit a ground and realise we are actually quite lucky.
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 14:41 - Oct 31 with 662 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 12:06 - Oct 31 by ParisBlue

Yes, was a good day. First year after relegation and we were on a decent run. Missed out on the playoffs on last day of the season, Milton player of the year.

Luton booed Bontcho when he came on. He applauded the away fans at the final whistle.

Why did they boo Boncho? Or was it just a case of booing an opposition player?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 14:51 - Oct 31 with 649 viewsgainsboroughblue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 14:41 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Why did they boo Boncho? Or was it just a case of booing an opposition player?

Bontcho would have been playing for Luton at that point.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:06 - Oct 31 with 595 viewsTheBlueGnu

I thought Violet Carson got on the scoresheet that day...?

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:10 - Oct 31 with 590 viewsStewart27

Yes I was there as a 15 year old!

Milton didn’t score in the last minute though. Thought it was halfway through the second half?!

Great away day!
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:21 - Oct 31 with 572 viewsParisBlue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 14:51 - Oct 31 by gainsboroughblue

Corrrect. From memory as we serenaded him the Luton fans chanted "do you want to have him back?". In fairness, he was poor that day.

Luton were on a poor run of form, ultimately finished bottom winning just 2 games, and gaining 10 points from their last 17 games. So wasn't a happy place.

Naturally they had beaten us in the reverse fixture earlier that season in a live TV game (when they were regional). Some things never change...

Libraries gave us power

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:28 - Oct 31 with 556 viewsRetroITFC

I was there too. Am I right in thinking this was the game that Luton fans had mass protests against their owners and were storming the directors' box?
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:29 - Oct 31 with 552 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 14:51 - Oct 31 by gainsboroughblue

Ah, I see.

Poor old Boncho. Seemed a good chap from what I can recall and very much a confidence player. I would imagine that having his own fans boo him would have been crushing for him. Does he still run a London bar?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:30 - Oct 31 with 550 viewsParisBlue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 17:29 - Oct 31 by Nthsuffolkblue

Ah, I see.

Poor old Boncho. Seemed a good chap from what I can recall and very much a confidence player. I would imagine that having his own fans boo him would have been crushing for him. Does he still run a London bar?

Strikers in South Kensington. No, closed a good few years ago.

Libraries gave us power

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 18:10 - Oct 31 with 525 viewsoneoffposter

I was there, funny little ground

What sticks out in my brain is a 6 foot 2 mass of blonde hair playing centre midfield for us that day

Might have confused it with different game but I want to say it was scowie’s first start…..
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 18:17 - Oct 31 with 518 viewsTrumptonBlue

Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 18:10 - Oct 31 by oneoffposter

I was there, funny little ground

What sticks out in my brain is a 6 foot 2 mass of blonde hair playing centre midfield for us that day

Might have confused it with different game but I want to say it was scowie’s first start…..

It was his 5th league start, 8th in total. But, yep, he played in the number 5 shirt that day, presumably behind the M&M partnership up front.
Luton (a) 1996 - random query on 19:59 - Oct 31 with 448 viewsCoastalblue

I went, that was a cracking season, Marshall, Mathie, Scowie, Stocky, Milts, Mason, Treacle, Wright, Gunn's air kick, the Anglo Italian cup, they just don't make seasons like they used to.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024