Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook has to go 10:46 - Nov 1 with 3293 viewsboncho1977

We are not progressing and conceding too many goals. It is all very well being the leagues top goal scorers however football is also about defending.
We are too naive and every match it is the same mistakes.

I was chatting to a Wigan mate - who said Cook is the most over rated manager, no plan b and terrible substitutions. He also said he will bring in a drinking culture to the club and create an old boys club for his mates.

We are Ipswich Town and it seems half of the fans are happy with being mid table in league 1. Every match it is the same bs excuse and because he waves at the start of the match, everyone forgives him.

We need to be aggressive to be successful and Cook has had 30 league games. We will probably lose to Wycombe and miss a few good chances and we will hear the gelling excuse.

i’ve had enough - Cook out !
Cook has to go on 12:50 - Nov 1 with 1170 viewsIllinoisblue

Cook has to go on 11:10 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

Burley wasn't expected to get us challenging for the top 6. Many pundits were expecting us to drop straight down to the third tier.

You can recall what pundits were saying 25 years ago?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Cook has to go on 12:52 - Nov 1 with 1160 viewsSuperCoops

Cook has to go on 11:32 - Nov 1 by The_Flashing_Smile

Yep. And a day or so later this guy pops up with this OP. Something smells fishy!

What? Really? When did Blubbers go? Usual meltdown again? And why no mass celebrating posts?

Any info appreciated. Same old, Fishers... Leopard doesn't change his spots.
Cook has to go on 12:53 - Nov 1 with 1151 viewsSuperCoops

Cook has to go on 12:50 - Nov 1 by Illinoisblue

You can recall what pundits were saying 25 years ago?

Have to say, I don't recall hearing anyone tipping is to go straight down back then. News to me. And I'm quite shocked that this would have "allegedly" happened too.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2021 12:54]
Cook has to go on 13:08 - Nov 1 with 1113 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Cook has to go on 12:52 - Nov 1 by SuperCoops

What? Really? When did Blubbers go? Usual meltdown again? And why no mass celebrating posts?

Any info appreciated. Same old, Fishers... Leopard doesn't change his spots.

Not really sure what the final straw was. Didn't seem like much. Phil popped up with "I think it's about time you had another rest" and then the thread was gone, and Blubbers with it.

Probably for persistent fouling rather than one single knee-high tackle.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Cook has to go on 13:09 - Nov 1 with 1110 viewsHerbivore

Cook has to go on 12:53 - Nov 1 by SuperCoops

Have to say, I don't recall hearing anyone tipping is to go straight down back then. News to me. And I'm quite shocked that this would have "allegedly" happened too.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2021 12:54]

I remember very clearly. Swindon had done a double dip relegation the year before and we'd just gone down with what at the time was a record low points total. Lots of pundits felt we were in for the same fate. I don't think many people had any expectation we'd bounce straight back up or even seriously compete to do so.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Cook has to go on 13:33 - Nov 1 with 1077 viewsHighgateBlue

Cook has to go on 11:07 - Nov 1 by bluestandard

When we finished 7th under Burley in 1995-96, was there a group of fans back then calling for him to go? Genuine question. Was our play that season so much better than Cooks recent form, such that sacking Burley then wasn’t on the cards?

It feels like a very similar situation imho, only one division down. Just imagine if we’d sacked Burley back then. What we would have missed out on.

I do not remember a group of fans calling for his head, no. I wasn't on TWTD until 1998-ish, and of course the lack of forums/social media meant that the discourse was less short-termist, and less sensationalised. But I really don't remember anyone calling for his head when we finished 7th. I remember those few seasons being agonising yet exciting. On the last day of 1995-96 we were still in with a shout of the playoffs, and finished 0-0 with Millwall, relegating them. I recall it clearly. We were one goal away from the playoffs. I didn't think that Burley was under-achieving given his budget.

This is our third season of mediocrity in a mediocre league. We are closer to the relegation places than the playoffs, we have beaten 5 teams, 3 of which are in the relegation zone, we have beaten no teams above us, we have lost to two teams below us, we have thrown away more points from winning positions than our entire haul of points. Oh, and we have 8 more teams we haven't played; five of them are in the top six.

I don't think one can bank on being one goal from the playoffs at the final reckoning, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison with Burley, even if you can overlook the rather obvious difference that we are now one division lower...
Cook has to go on 14:05 - Nov 1 with 1032 viewspatrickswell

Cook has to go on 13:33 - Nov 1 by HighgateBlue

I do not remember a group of fans calling for his head, no. I wasn't on TWTD until 1998-ish, and of course the lack of forums/social media meant that the discourse was less short-termist, and less sensationalised. But I really don't remember anyone calling for his head when we finished 7th. I remember those few seasons being agonising yet exciting. On the last day of 1995-96 we were still in with a shout of the playoffs, and finished 0-0 with Millwall, relegating them. I recall it clearly. We were one goal away from the playoffs. I didn't think that Burley was under-achieving given his budget.

This is our third season of mediocrity in a mediocre league. We are closer to the relegation places than the playoffs, we have beaten 5 teams, 3 of which are in the relegation zone, we have beaten no teams above us, we have lost to two teams below us, we have thrown away more points from winning positions than our entire haul of points. Oh, and we have 8 more teams we haven't played; five of them are in the top six.

I don't think one can bank on being one goal from the playoffs at the final reckoning, so I'm not sure it's a fair comparison with Burley, even if you can overlook the rather obvious difference that we are now one division lower...

There are certain similarities with 95/96 in terms of the goals scored/goals conceded and we were very inconsistent through the first half of that season. The catalyst was the cup win at Blackburn which seemed to spark belief in the team. Though our form was still erratic over the second half of the season, we got into a cycle of two wins followed by a defeat. 4 defeats in 5 through late March/early April (the exception being the Bryan Gunn derby) stalled us and although we nearly pulled it back, our inconsistent start allied with the final day draw and other results going against us meant we finished 7th. But that was considered progress back then because we were starting from a low base of expectations.

If we finish 7th this season, Cook has to deliver in 22/23.
Cook has to go on 14:29 - Nov 1 with 992 viewsHerbivore

Cook has to go on 14:05 - Nov 1 by patrickswell

There are certain similarities with 95/96 in terms of the goals scored/goals conceded and we were very inconsistent through the first half of that season. The catalyst was the cup win at Blackburn which seemed to spark belief in the team. Though our form was still erratic over the second half of the season, we got into a cycle of two wins followed by a defeat. 4 defeats in 5 through late March/early April (the exception being the Bryan Gunn derby) stalled us and although we nearly pulled it back, our inconsistent start allied with the final day draw and other results going against us meant we finished 7th. But that was considered progress back then because we were starting from a low base of expectations.

If we finish 7th this season, Cook has to deliver in 22/23.

If we finish 7th Cook won't be here next season.

Login to get fewer ads

Cook has to go on 14:33 - Nov 1 with 990 viewspositivity

Cook has to go on 14:29 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

If we finish 7th Cook won't be here next season.

don't think you can say that for sure.

it's up to the owners and they'll have their own criteria

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Cook has to go on 15:10 - Nov 1 with 962 viewsHerbivore

Cook has to go on 14:33 - Nov 1 by positivity

don't think you can say that for sure.

it's up to the owners and they'll have their own criteria

I'd be staggered if Cook is still in a job here next season if we don't even make the play offs. Do you think he should be in those circumstances?

Cook has to go on 15:26 - Nov 1 with 936 viewsDyland

Cook has to go on 11:01 - Nov 1 by Burns7

Where is your proof hes a Norwich supporter? If you are going to make these claims you have to back them up. Trying to use lies to defame people is a form of bullying so either apologise or prove it.

Not sure defamation is a thing on an anonymous internet message board populated by trolling twonks.

Also not sure that calling an Ipswich supporter a Norwich supporter could be deemed defamatory.

Aside from that, top stuff Burners.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Cook has to go on 15:41 - Nov 1 with 907 viewspositivity

Cook has to go on 15:10 - Nov 1 by Herbivore

I'd be staggered if Cook is still in a job here next season if we don't even make the play offs. Do you think he should be in those circumstances?

depends on the situation.

if we were comfortably in the playoffs and dropped away then probably no
if we're continuing to climb and covid ends the season with us in 7th then probably yes

plenty of scenarios in between where it'd vary (eg if we're hit heavily with injuries and suspensions, but we finish the season very strongly with 75 points and still don't make the playoffs, then i wouldn't be surprised that he might get another go)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Cook has to go on 15:43 - Nov 1 with 904 viewsjaykay

some people want instant success. most of you weren't born when sir bob came here, from finishing 12th in the top league we slipped to 18th in his first season then 19th next season the following season we went up to 13 th. then we hardly slipped out of the top 6 from then on.
there was a few moans from the stands ,when he first came ,after relegation with fulham.
if there had been the internet back in those days many of the posts would have been like yours and others on here.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Cook has to go on 16:20 - Nov 1 with 880 viewsHerbivore

Cook has to go on 15:43 - Nov 1 by jaykay

some people want instant success. most of you weren't born when sir bob came here, from finishing 12th in the top league we slipped to 18th in his first season then 19th next season the following season we went up to 13 th. then we hardly slipped out of the top 6 from then on.
there was a few moans from the stands ,when he first came ,after relegation with fulham.
if there had been the internet back in those days many of the posts would have been like yours and others on here.

Without wanting to state the obvious, football has changed beyond recognition in the 50+ years since Sir Bobby took charge. And Cook is no Sir Bobby.

Cook has to go on 16:23 - Nov 1 with 872 viewsHerbivore

Cook has to go on 15:41 - Nov 1 by positivity

depends on the situation.

if we were comfortably in the playoffs and dropped away then probably no
if we're continuing to climb and covid ends the season with us in 7th then probably yes

plenty of scenarios in between where it'd vary (eg if we're hit heavily with injuries and suspensions, but we finish the season very strongly with 75 points and still don't make the playoffs, then i wouldn't be surprised that he might get another go)

I don't see many scenarios where he gets another crack if we don't make the play offs to be honest. Covid ending the season early perhaps, though as things stand that looks unlikely. Getting to 75 points, however we do it, wouldn't count as an acceptable season if we don't make the top 6. Needing to go on an excellent run to finish the season to get to just 75 points would suggest us being so far behind the curve come January/February that Cook probably won't be in a job come then.

Hoping it won't come to that of course. I'd love to see us get 10 points from this next run of 5 games to make a statement and get us in touch with the top 6. Fingers crossed.

Cook has to go on 17:03 - Nov 1 with 836 viewsBlueySwede

Didn´t your mate at least mention that Cook got his team promoted? And how did he do that if he is that bad?
I´m not saying everything is perfect at the moment or that Cook should be free from critisism (I don´t think he got the starting 11 right on Saturday), but calling for his head at the moment, seven points from playoffs and loads of games to play, is just plain silly.
We have had massive changes on and off the field, while I do hope we get it right this season, a total rebuild like this can take time. We will get there, if we don´t Cook will be off.
Cook has to go on 17:08 - Nov 1 with 827 viewspatrickswell

Cook has to go on 15:43 - Nov 1 by jaykay

I'd like to think that those who are unhappy about Cook's performance having spent a lot of money to bumble around in mid-table of the third tier would have had a bit of perspective about Robson's performance after spending diddly squat to try and hang in the lower reaches of the top flight.
Cook has to go on 17:21 - Nov 1 with 818 viewshappybeingblue

have a day off mate nonsense talk!
Cook has to go on 18:50 - Nov 1 with 786 viewsjaykay

Cook has to go on 17:08 - Nov 1 by patrickswell

I'd like to think that those who are unhappy about Cook's performance having spent a lot of money to bumble around in mid-table of the third tier would have had a bit of perspective about Robson's performance after spending diddly squat to try and hang in the lower reaches of the top flight.

i think you will think £50000 not much of a transfer fee but in 1969 the record fee was £165000. sir bobby was given £10000 which he spent on jimmy roberson and frank clarke.
so to sir bob had diddley squat is not correct.
to herb football is still the same game as it always was

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024