Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? 22:14 - Nov 2 with 796 viewsOsborneOneNil

Or can we look instead at the last 11 games, see we've lost just 2, winning 7 and drawing 2, and recognise that we are obviously making progress and that the improvement is clear to see for anyone that has a pair of eyes and a brain?

Or do I need to calm down and wait until we next lose to realise he's doing a bad job and needs replacing?
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:19 - Nov 2 with 742 viewsHighgateBlue

Great result today. Credit to the players, and yes, huge credit to Cook. If I'm gonna knock him when he's underachieving, I'm sure as hell gonna praise him after tonight.

The improvement is clear to see. We have now beaten a top side, and away from home to boot. Our form is improving. I think enjoy tonight for the wonderful victory that it was, and then tomorrow assess the situation calmly and conclude that we're improving, that we're not there yet, but that if we keep going like this, we will be come May.

Walton and Morsy - these have made the difference for me. Plus Edmundson getting fit after missing the first few games, and Nsiala coming back into the side - we have a defensive core. Options at RB when all are fit. Even more at LB, now that Burgess has shown he can do an agricultural but effective job out there!

And going forward, well, there's never been any doubt this season.
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:21 - Nov 2 with 699 viewsOsborneOneNil

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:19 - Nov 2 by HighgateBlue

Great result today. Credit to the players, and yes, huge credit to Cook. If I'm gonna knock him when he's underachieving, I'm sure as hell gonna praise him after tonight.

The improvement is clear to see. We have now beaten a top side, and away from home to boot. Our form is improving. I think enjoy tonight for the wonderful victory that it was, and then tomorrow assess the situation calmly and conclude that we're improving, that we're not there yet, but that if we keep going like this, we will be come May.

Walton and Morsy - these have made the difference for me. Plus Edmundson getting fit after missing the first few games, and Nsiala coming back into the side - we have a defensive core. Options at RB when all are fit. Even more at LB, now that Burgess has shown he can do an agricultural but effective job out there!

Good man, well said. It's looking good. Despite the progress being at a slower pace than we hoped, it's definitely happening.
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:27 - Nov 2 with 654 viewsMullet

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:21 - Nov 2 by OsborneOneNil

Good man, well said. It's looking good. Despite the progress being at a slower pace than we hoped, it's definitely happening.

Would you be happy with a 9th place finish though? Or even say top six but we fail to go up? There’s still 3 games in this tough run to go and we’ve taken half the points. Losing from a leading position, then smashing an anti football team after going behind.

We have to make good on this month and have no more Accrington’s, Cambridge’s or reverting back to August before there’s real return on the outlay. This was the best possible statement tonight after all the missteps but we’ve now got to do it again. And again etc.

Surely that’s the path to look at.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:30 - Nov 2 with 601 viewsportmanking

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:27 - Nov 2 by Mullet

Would you be happy with a 9th place finish though? Or even say top six but we fail to go up? There’s still 3 games in this tough run to go and we’ve taken half the points. Losing from a leading position, then smashing an anti football team after going behind.

We have to make good on this month and have no more Accrington’s, Cambridge’s or reverting back to August before there’s real return on the outlay. This was the best possible statement tonight after all the missteps but we’ve now got to do it again. And again etc.

There WILL be bumps in the road along the way. If you can't accept that, then it's your problem not Cook's. The 10-game form table says a 20 point haul for Town. How big does this form table need to be to just accept we've turned a corner, made incremental gains over time and are on the right path?

Some people just need to put the knives away for Cook and get on the train. If we pull in the same direction as one, we can become an unstoppable force for the next 6 months.
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:31 - Nov 2 with 590 viewsblueysbackside

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:19 - Nov 2 by HighgateBlue

The difference being - and I’m bored of saying it - is that the season started when Morsy and Celina started playing in the same team. Before that I gave Cook a free pass (rightly or wrongly). With those two firing as our statement players, we look a top two team whatever others might say. Out record since those two got into the team is play off form. Others are also stepping up now. Toto. Burns. Bonne. Edmundson continues to impress. I am LOVING it right now, LOVING it!
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:33 - Nov 2 with 553 viewsHighgateBlue

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:27 - Nov 2 by Mullet

I've been really really critical, but personally I have always said I'd be happy with the playoffs. I don't think anyone would look forward to losing in the playoffs, but if we get to the playoffs and don't go up this season, I'd view it like the Burley years. I would say that for a first full season with his own players it would constitute a decent enough outcome, and then Cook's more than earned the right to have another crack next year.

9th at the end of the season, no. That would constitute stagnation with a hugely increased budget. FIne margins I guess!
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:34 - Nov 2 with 541 viewsDarth_Koont

Overegging it a bit.

Since Bolton and the admittedly poor start we’ve done almost as well as anyone – and still with scope for more.

Fair’s fair. He’s doing what people said he had to do.

Pronouns: He/Him

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:36 - Nov 2 with 509 viewsMullet

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:30 - Nov 2 by portmanking

There WILL be bumps in the road along the way. If you can't accept that, then it's your problem not Cook's. The 10-game form table says a 20 point haul for Town. How big does this form table need to be to just accept we've turned a corner, made incremental gains over time and are on the right path?

Some people just need to put the knives away for Cook and get on the train. If we pull in the same direction as one, we can become an unstoppable force for the next 6 months.

Incremental gains from the bottom half is not really warranting the type of stuff we keep seeing posted. We’ve had more bumps than a Braille dictionary thus far, this is a team built to storm this league and we’ve still got people insisting tonight is both an obvious triumph and some sort of miracle.

I’ve not even seen this supposed knives out stuff, only people seemingly needing everything to be binary because they’re not used to Ipswich being big spenders in a division after the Evans famine. Cook of all people will tell you if he finishes where we are now it’ll be a huge failure.

Progress needs to be the norm not something on the horizon. The whole point of Gamechanger was delivering promotion.

Login to get fewer ads

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:38 - Nov 2 with 484 viewsDarth_Koont

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:30 - Nov 2 by portmanking

Well said. We’re only ever a bad result away from a few too many toys being thrown out of prams.

But take a step back and we’re becoming a proper team now with results and performances to match.

Time to go with the flow.

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:39 - Nov 2 with 464 viewsOsborneOneNil

No, and I am sure we won't finish in 9th due to the fact we are there now and it includes a horrific start to the season, results wise. Would I be 'happy' failing in the play offs....of course not, but, if we had top 4 form from now on, then failed in the play offs I'd see the progress apparent, and have no doubt we would go up top 2 next year. Yes, a year (or two) late, but it would stand us in good stead to attack the Championship with a further year together.

I don't think it's fair to pop tonight down as simply smashing an anti football team, that side had the only 100% home record in the Country. But you have acknowledged it to be a statement, which it is.

We will lose one or two more, but I feel things are better, much better. Let's avoid those Accringtons etc, that has been the real downside to the season.
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:39 - Nov 2 with 455 viewsportmanking

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:36 - Nov 2 by Mullet

Incremental gains from the bottom half is not really warranting the type of stuff we keep seeing posted. We’ve had more bumps than a Braille dictionary thus far, this is a team built to storm this league and we’ve still got people insisting tonight is both an obvious triumph and some sort of miracle.

I’ve not even seen this supposed knives out stuff, only people seemingly needing everything to be binary because they’re not used to Ipswich being big spenders in a division after the Evans famine. Cook of all people will tell you if he finishes where we are now it’ll be a huge failure.

Progress needs to be the norm not something on the horizon. The whole point of Gamechanger was delivering promotion.

More bumps than a Braille dictionary? We've had a few disappointments, but it's all been par for the course for a completely new-look team.

If we don't finish in the top six it'll be a failure, correct. But we're four points off that right now. Four. If we were four points off them in March we'd still be confident of sneaking in them.

Progress HAS been the norm for the last 10 games...
So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:40 - Nov 2 with 445 viewsMullet

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:34 - Nov 2 by Darth_Koont

Overegging it a bit.

Since Bolton and the admittedly poor start we’ve done almost as well as anyone – and still with scope for more.

Fair’s fair. He’s doing what people said he had to do.

No one is denying results when they go our way. But after Plymouth we had a handful of people measuring misses as some sort of barometer of success! If we climb another 5 places this month then we can definitely praise everything and relax more.

But unfortunately the poor start gave us little room to manoeuvre- Wigan fought back tonight again and it’s those teams and these gaps we have to close.

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:48 - Nov 2 with 384 viewsVic

We haven’t reverted back to august for a long, long time have we. And I really don’t think we’ll do an accrington or Cambridge again. With each game I’m getting a little more confident. Even in the defeat on Saturday we played well enough against the league leaders. It does at last feel as though we’re getting some traction and gaining confidence.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:48 - Nov 2 with 381 viewsDarth_Koont

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:40 - Nov 2 by Mullet

No one is denying results when they go our way. But after Plymouth we had a handful of people measuring misses as some sort of barometer of success! If we climb another 5 places this month then we can definitely praise everything and relax more.

But unfortunately the poor start gave us little room to manoeuvre- Wigan fought back tonight again and it’s those teams and these gaps we have to close.

Again, I think you’re overegging it.

No-one was saying that our misses were a sign of success. They did point to the fact that we could have got more from the game. But so could our recent record.

We’ve only just passed one-third of the season. Let’s see where Wigan are if they have a bad run, or where we are if we put three or four wins together.

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:53 - Nov 2 with 343 viewsMullet

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:48 - Nov 2 by Darth_Koont

Again, I think you’re overegging it.

No-one was saying that our misses were a sign of success. They did point to the fact that we could have got more from the game. But so could our recent record.

We’ve only just passed one-third of the season. Let’s see where Wigan are if they have a bad run, or where we are if we put three or four wins together.

They really were. One poster in particular was. That’s not overegging it if it happened is it? The problem with relying on others to have bad runs from where we are is it leaves a lot of variables for us to go up. All we can do is win games and when we all know that losses will happen, it’s a baffling to hear facts being shouted down with projections still.

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:59 - Nov 2 with 308 viewsDarth_Koont

So, is Cook still poor (taking into account last season and this)? on 22:53 - Nov 2 by Mullet

They really were. One poster in particular was. That’s not overegging it if it happened is it? The problem with relying on others to have bad runs from where we are is it leaves a lot of variables for us to go up. All we can do is win games and when we all know that losses will happen, it’s a baffling to hear facts being shouted down with projections still.

Saying that there’s a long way to go for all the clubs and setbacks to manage/runs to capitalize on is hardly a projection.

That’s what a football season is, certainly at this level.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024