Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who sleeps well? 19:31 - Nov 5 with 2241 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Anyone got any tips? I get to sleep without much trouble but invariably wake up way too early. My body aches like a very achey thing today and I swear it's just lack of sleep.

Really envy people who just go out like a light. Been watching a video from some science guy who says you need to get sunlight onto your eyes as early as poss (when the sun's coming up) and then again as it's going down, to get your circadian rhythm back on track. Doesn't seem very practical with life/jobs etc.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Who sleeps well? on 19:39 - Nov 5 with 1609 viewsbazza

Maybe read this post back later, if your struggling.. it’s worked a treat for me.. 😴
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 19:39]
Who sleeps well? on 19:42 - Nov 5 with 1600 viewsdickie

I always see the sunrise due to my brood consistently being up early. My sleep really improved when I started reading before bed. I know this is supposed to be a sleep no-no but I started doing it to break the habit of being on my phone/watching TV before sleep and giving my eyes and brain a rest from blue light - it has really helped
Who sleeps well? on 19:44 - Nov 5 with 1578 viewsdickie

Who sleeps well? on 19:39 - Nov 5 by bazza

Maybe read this post back later, if your struggling.. it’s worked a treat for me.. 😴
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 19:39]

I know you're probably joking but that comes across as really tw*Trish and unnecessary
Who sleeps well? on 19:46 - Nov 5 with 1578 viewsCoastalblue

Heard a thing on the radio about this recently, apparently the reason a warm bath is good for going into quality sleep is because your body is naturally cooling afterward which is what it wants to do as you drop off.

Get warm, or go into a cooler bedroom was my take from it.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Who sleeps well? on 19:49 - Nov 5 with 1554 viewsbazza

Who sleeps well? on 19:44 - Nov 5 by dickie

I know you're probably joking but that comes across as really tw*Trish and unnecessary

I take it back, yours really hit the spot .. 😴😴
Who sleeps well? on 19:52 - Nov 5 with 1537 viewsOldboy

Clear your head mate. The subconscious is probably waking you. Try and let things go. The calmer, less stressed you are, the longer you will sleep. Failing that, try a cold bedroom. Turn the radiator in your bedroom off.
Who sleeps well? on 19:52 - Nov 5 with 1535 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Who sleeps well? on 19:46 - Nov 5 by Coastalblue

Heard a thing on the radio about this recently, apparently the reason a warm bath is good for going into quality sleep is because your body is naturally cooling afterward which is what it wants to do as you drop off.

Get warm, or go into a cooler bedroom was my take from it.

I've heard about these things that keep your bed at exactly the right temperature, kind of like a clever electric blanket I guess, so your body stays cool all night. Might be worth a shout as I often wake up too warm.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Who sleeps well? on 19:55 - Nov 5 with 1521 viewsCoastalblue

Who sleeps well? on 19:52 - Nov 5 by The_Flashing_Smile

I've heard about these things that keep your bed at exactly the right temperature, kind of like a clever electric blanket I guess, so your body stays cool all night. Might be worth a shout as I often wake up too warm.

In the same programme there was something about a technique taught to the US military, it's about relaxing your body a bit at a time, starts with your tongue or jaw I think.

I'll try and find a link, believe it was 5 live.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Login to get fewer ads

Who sleeps well? on 20:03 - Nov 5 with 1478 viewsRyorry

Listen to speech radio on a timer which switches it off after 15 or 30 mins (or time to suit you) - preferably something you really want to hear. World service is good for interesting docus in droning-on style!

If you've woken up too early, do some physical chore for 30 mins (or have a short walk, or do some exercise on a machine), then have a light bite to eat. The body's metabolism slows down to digest food, which makes most people a bit sleepy anyway.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Who sleeps well? on 20:05 - Nov 5 with 1469 viewsbazza

Who sleeps well? on 19:52 - Nov 5 by Oldboy

Clear your head mate. The subconscious is probably waking you. Try and let things go. The calmer, less stressed you are, the longer you will sleep. Failing that, try a cold bedroom. Turn the radiator in your bedroom off.

Failing that , a bottle of wine before bed, I sleep like a log.. wake up in the fireplace.
Who sleeps well? on 20:05 - Nov 5 with 1468 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I have always found podcasts really helpful.

No scientific reasons, just helps me

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Who sleeps well? on 20:08 - Nov 5 with 1462 viewsLightworker

I have looked into this a fair bit over the last year or so and can offer the following advice.

Caffeine and alcohol are big sleep disruptors, many people believe they sleep fine after an evening or afternoon coffee but science shows that for the majority of us our sleep quality is affected by caffeine even if we don't realize it. Not sure if you drink much tea or coffee but if possible try and have a no caffeine after midday rule, this will help massively. Try and avoid alcohol in the evenings as well whenever possible.

Blue light affects our ability to feel sleepy by tricking the brain into thinking it is still daytime, I find it really helps to have a cut off point after which all phones,laptops etc. are switched off and i then read for a while in a dimly lit room. When doing this I find I feel quite sleepy after half an hour or so. Blue light glasses might also be worth trying as well as blue light reduction apps for your phone and laptop.

Try to get into a regular sleep pattern if possible, going to bed and getting up at the same time really helps as your body/brain will soon get used to this and respond accordingly. Try to allow yourself an 8 hour sleep opportunity which should guarantee at least 7 hours sleep.

keep your room at a cool temperature, the ideal is about 19 degrees C, any warmer than this and it will take your body longer to cool down to the temperature which initiates sleep. If you are lucky enough to share your bed with a lovely lady this can be a big problem as I am sure they operate at a completely different temperature to men!

Eat your evening meal as early as possible and try not to have large high carb meals in the evening as this will also hinder your ability to get to sleep.

Finally, this one may seem a bit odd but I have found it an absolute game changer. Try applying a small piece of tape over your lips which will result in you breathing only through your nose and not your mouth. this will pretty much eliminate snoring and will aid sleep quality no end. I now wake up feeling so much more rested and refreshed than I ever used to. It feels a little strange at first but you soon get used to it. Obviously you need the right sort of tape as you don't want to pull half the skin off your lips the next morning!

More info on this below if you are interested. Hope this helps.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-modern-sleep-habit-thats-incredibly-bad-for-you
Who sleeps well? on 20:19 - Nov 5 with 1425 viewsmonkeymagic

Melatonin. Can’t get it in UK shops but easy to source on line. It’s a non addictive natural hormone and you don’t feel groggy in the morning. Take 5-10mg and about 15 minutes later you will begin to nod off. First bought it in the US to help get some kip on the plane home, and have stuck with it.
Who sleeps well? on 20:29 - Nov 5 with 1386 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Early start, early finish. No alcohol and lots of water.

I’m often in the office at 07:30 working but come 2100 I’ve had it.
Who sleeps well? on 20:36 - Nov 5 with 1350 viewsSwansea_Blue

15 women and a skin of wine sort me out every night. Def info.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who sleeps well? on 20:39 - Nov 5 with 1335 viewsgtsb1966

If you get interrupted sleep regularly and body aches get your doctor to get your thyroid checked. I had the same and it turned out I had an underactive thyroid.
Who sleeps well? on 20:44 - Nov 5 with 1303 viewsMisterBlue

Who sleeps well? on 20:08 - Nov 5 by Lightworker

I have looked into this a fair bit over the last year or so and can offer the following advice.

Caffeine and alcohol are big sleep disruptors, many people believe they sleep fine after an evening or afternoon coffee but science shows that for the majority of us our sleep quality is affected by caffeine even if we don't realize it. Not sure if you drink much tea or coffee but if possible try and have a no caffeine after midday rule, this will help massively. Try and avoid alcohol in the evenings as well whenever possible.

Blue light affects our ability to feel sleepy by tricking the brain into thinking it is still daytime, I find it really helps to have a cut off point after which all phones,laptops etc. are switched off and i then read for a while in a dimly lit room. When doing this I find I feel quite sleepy after half an hour or so. Blue light glasses might also be worth trying as well as blue light reduction apps for your phone and laptop.

Try to get into a regular sleep pattern if possible, going to bed and getting up at the same time really helps as your body/brain will soon get used to this and respond accordingly. Try to allow yourself an 8 hour sleep opportunity which should guarantee at least 7 hours sleep.

keep your room at a cool temperature, the ideal is about 19 degrees C, any warmer than this and it will take your body longer to cool down to the temperature which initiates sleep. If you are lucky enough to share your bed with a lovely lady this can be a big problem as I am sure they operate at a completely different temperature to men!

Eat your evening meal as early as possible and try not to have large high carb meals in the evening as this will also hinder your ability to get to sleep.

Finally, this one may seem a bit odd but I have found it an absolute game changer. Try applying a small piece of tape over your lips which will result in you breathing only through your nose and not your mouth. this will pretty much eliminate snoring and will aid sleep quality no end. I now wake up feeling so much more rested and refreshed than I ever used to. It feels a little strange at first but you soon get used to it. Obviously you need the right sort of tape as you don't want to pull half the skin off your lips the next morning!

More info on this below if you are interested. Hope this helps.

https://elemental.medium.com/the-modern-sleep-habit-thats-incredibly-bad-for-you

agree with most of this -

A couple of years ago I was having issues sleeping and stumbled across a BBC Health article that recommended that you sleep on your least dominate side, and breath in and out through your nose.

Also worth noting that your natural sleep cycles is about 90 mins, so work out what you need (6, 7.5 or 9) and get into the habit of doing that.

Its worked ok for, been sleeping a lot better since.

just found this aswell - https://thesleepcharity.org.uk/information-support/adults/sleep-calculator/
Who sleeps well? on 20:54 - Nov 5 with 1273 viewsJ2BLUE

Who sleeps well? on 19:44 - Nov 5 by dickie

He made a joke.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Who sleeps well? on 20:56 - Nov 5 with 1263 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Who sleeps well? on 20:39 - Nov 5 by gtsb1966

If you get interrupted sleep regularly and body aches get your doctor to get your thyroid checked. I had the same and it turned out I had an underactive thyroid.

Sounds more like an overactive? I’ve had both and they consume your whole life. Not fun so you have my sympathy
Who sleeps well? on 21:14 - Nov 5 with 1184 viewsgtsb1966

Who sleeps well? on 20:56 - Nov 5 by BlueBlueBluex2

Sounds more like an overactive? I’ve had both and they consume your whole life. Not fun so you have my sympathy

You can cure an over active thyroid but not under active. At least I now get free prescriptions
Who sleeps well? on 21:20 - Nov 5 with 1162 viewsRyorry

Who sleeps well? on 21:14 - Nov 5 by gtsb1966

You can cure an over active thyroid but not under active. At least I now get free prescriptions

My dog had underactive one from age 2. One-a-day tablets completely sorted him out - 10 years on he's a fit, happy, healthy dog enjoying normal life, albeit only with 1 kidney (unrelated).

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Who sleeps well? on 21:22 - Nov 5 with 1158 viewsTractorWood

Since I've started running lots of marathons and ultra marathons I've found it much harder to sleep. Some nights I only get 3-4 hours sleep. At best 6-7.

Apparently this is quite common for very high mileage runners.

I find ear plugs, podcasts and reading help me rest but I might not necessarily be asleep.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Who sleeps well? on 21:25 - Nov 5 with 1146 viewsStokieBlue

Sounds like a new mattress (and possibly topper) will do a nice job for you.

The most likely reason for a bad nights sleep is a poor mattress, certainly fits in with you being achy. Most the good ones will give you 100 days to test it so there is no harm in ordering one and then returning it if it hasn't helped.

By the time you're an adult the circadian rhythm is pretty much sorted, it shouldn't change that quickly with light stimulus. As you get older it tends to shift so you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier. It's normal - we are just getting old.

SB
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 21:26]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Who sleeps well? on 21:27 - Nov 5 with 1124 viewsgtsb1966

Who sleeps well? on 21:20 - Nov 5 by Ryorry

My dog had underactive one from age 2. One-a-day tablets completely sorted him out - 10 years on he's a fit, happy, healthy dog enjoying normal life, albeit only with 1 kidney (unrelated).

I was talking about humans . Seriously though an underactive thyroid means medication for life hence free prescriptions but not for an overactive one.
Who sleeps well? on 21:36 - Nov 5 with 1078 viewsfactual_blue

Sleep-inducing, calming music and sounds over headphones. I fall asleep like this every night, and have done for a couple of years or more.

Sleep like a baby for eight hours or more.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024