Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First I have heard about this story 10:13 - Nov 9 with 791 viewsHipsterectomy

A Man City youth who tragically lost his life due to rejection from them and a feeling that his professional career was over. I would assume youth players are constantly told how difficult it is to break in to a first team. I remember a few seasons ago when Chelsea had about 50 players out on loan - that level of competition is just insane. When we first had Celina on loan I spoke to a City fan who didn’t even know he existed, let alone was a current international for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-59214647

Do you think more needs to be done to help youth players make careers or is it up to them/their family/their agents/fate?

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

First I have heard about this story on 11:39 - Nov 9 with 667 viewsJ2BLUE

I have never been in any academy but I would imagine there is little more professionally devastating than being released from an academy.

I know someone who got released from ours due to an injury years ago and now absolutely hates us.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

First I have heard about this story on 13:06 - Nov 9 with 586 viewsGlasgowBlue

It can hit them very hard. My son from my first marriage was let go by Spurs at the age of 16. He had been with them since the age of 7. The only person from his team who went on to play for Spurs was Danny Rose.

He was offered a trial at Cambridge United afterwards but decided to drop out of the game all together. He didn't take it well.

He had five years out of the game before Joining Braintree but by that time he'd missed too much game time and development.

Thankfully he went to the States to play indoor football, came back as one of the goalkeeping coaches at Stevenage before going back to the States to coach.

He's one of the luckier ones. It's devastating for boys who commit their childhood and teenage years, only to be tossed aside a surplus.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

First I have heard about this story on 13:45 - Nov 9 with 528 viewsitfcsuth

I read about this story across social media.

I think I have mentioned on here before, that I was at Crewe Alexandra for 8 years, and was let go from there when I was 16 years old, and it hit me very hard.

Me and my family had given years to playing, training 3 nights a week and travelling around the north for matches on Sunday, and it suddenly all just stopped. I received a phone call from Neil Critchley (now at Blackpool) stating that I wouldn't receive a new deal, and everything was just cut from that moment.

At the time I had opportunities to go to Everton & Wigan, but I just completely fell out of love with the game for a period and didn't want to continue. It can be such a difficult experience.
First I have heard about this story on 13:49 - Nov 9 with 500 viewsitfcsuth

First I have heard about this story on 13:06 - Nov 9 by GlasgowBlue

It can hit them very hard. My son from my first marriage was let go by Spurs at the age of 16. He had been with them since the age of 7. The only person from his team who went on to play for Spurs was Danny Rose.

He was offered a trial at Cambridge United afterwards but decided to drop out of the game all together. He didn't take it well.

He had five years out of the game before Joining Braintree but by that time he'd missed too much game time and development.

Thankfully he went to the States to play indoor football, came back as one of the goalkeeping coaches at Stevenage before going back to the States to coach.

He's one of the luckier ones. It's devastating for boys who commit their childhood and teenage years, only to be tossed aside a surplus.

I can relate so much to this. Only when I went to University did I fall back in love with playing, and by then I had missed too much time to go on to make a good career.

I had opportunities from that to play semi-pro, for decent money but nowhere near enough to live from. I ultimately chose that I wanted to follow the Town instead.

We had a really good age group at Crewe, competing with Everton, Liverpool City, Untied every year, but ultimately one player - George Cooper (Plymouth) has made a good career, and that just reaffirms the % of players that make it.
First I have heard about this story on 14:39 - Nov 9 with 436 viewsArnieM

PL clubs need to be either prevented from buying up young talent until they are 20yr old And/Or be required to pay significantly more money for them than the6 do now…even if it’s retrospective.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024