Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Worst tackle ever... 19:47 - Nov 11 with 2348 viewsThe_Major

Sat here watching the season highlights DVD for 2007/08 (Legwinski! Dan Harding! Colchester in the Championship!) and just saw Wilnis get sent off at Plymouth for basically leaping two footed at some poor bloke in green who near enough landed in Exeter.

Got me thinking, what is probably the worst tackle anyone has ever seen a Town player commit? Not talking here about accidental collisions like Wile/Talbot at Highbury or when Luc Nilis was unfortunately destroyed by Richard Wright, but the sort of tackle that results in a card, the opposing bench leap up in fury and you wincing in the stands.

The word "Thetis" coming to this thread in 5...4...3...
Worst tackle ever... on 19:57 - Nov 11 with 1460 viewsEastTownBlue

From what I recall he jumped in two footed but did not make contact. A deserved red card though.

That was the second part of the Ipswich/Plymouth/Kevin Friend saga at Home Park.
Worst tackle ever... on 20:02 - Nov 11 with 1440 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Was that the game where we scored after about a minute and ended up drawing 1-1?

After a b@stard of a journey, we arived about 5mins in and missed the only decent bit of action. Can't remember Wilnis' tackle though.
[Redacted] on 20:09 - Nov 11 with 1397 viewsvictorywilhappen

[Redacted]
Worst tackle ever... on 20:11 - Nov 11 with 1396 viewsDyland

Probably Larsen Toure's tackle on the corner flag.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Worst tackle ever... on 20:12 - Nov 11 with 1395 viewsThe_Major

Worst tackle ever... on 20:02 - Nov 11 by DropCliffsNotBombs

Was that the game where we scored after about a minute and ended up drawing 1-1?

After a b@stard of a journey, we arived about 5mins in and missed the only decent bit of action. Can't remember Wilnis' tackle though.

I can beat that. Went twice down to Plymouth in consecutive John Duncan seasons. Drew 0-0 and lost 1-0.

Get the coach from Portman Road at 5:30am, don't get back till 1am Sunday. Looking at watch saying 10pm, thinking we can't be far away by now, look out of coach window and seeing signs for Oxford and Newbury.

Over 1300 miles travelled, zero goals seen. Damned fine pies there though.
Worst tackle ever... on 20:16 - Nov 11 with 1371 viewsSteve_M

Leadbitter got sent off for a truly dreadful lunge at a Forest player in Keane’s last match. That was nasty.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Worst tackle ever... on 20:18 - Nov 11 with 1362 viewsEastTownBlue

Richard Naylor's challenge on Simon Grayson in the Coca Cola cup match in 1997 was a shocker. It should have been more than a yellow card but it didn't stop Grayson appointing him as the Leeds captain.
Worst tackle ever... on 20:21 - Nov 11 with 1347 viewsSuperCoops

Worst tackle ever... on 20:18 - Nov 11 by EastTownBlue

Richard Naylor's challenge on Simon Grayson in the Coca Cola cup match in 1997 was a shocker. It should have been more than a yellow card but it didn't stop Grayson appointing him as the Leeds captain.

I always thought it was Neil Lennon, if we're thinking of the same Cup game. Absolute shocker of a tackle from Naylor.
Login to get fewer ads

Worst tackle ever... on 20:23 - Nov 11 with 1328 viewsIllinoisblue

This thread needs videos. Carry on.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Worst tackle ever... on 20:26 - Nov 11 with 1314 viewsjaykay

dinger bell, chopper jefferson and geoff hammond in our back 4 in the early 70s , made sure there was horror tackle every match

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Worst tackle ever... on 20:26 - Nov 11 with 1314 viewsGeoffSentence

Hyam on Judge got a few worked up.

Personally I thought Hyam was much maligned over that tackle, Judge had lost control of the ball, both players dived in for it, unfortunately Judge got his studs stuck in the turf and came off badly.

[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 20:29]

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Worst tackle ever... on 20:32 - Nov 11 with 1290 viewsEastTownBlue

Worst tackle ever... on 20:21 - Nov 11 by SuperCoops

I always thought it was Neil Lennon, if we're thinking of the same Cup game. Absolute shocker of a tackle from Naylor.

Quite possibly. There was another awful one from Tony Vaughan in that same match,
Worst tackle ever... on 20:36 - Nov 11 with 1280 viewsStockholmBlue

This is pretty bad from Scholes. Unbelievable it wasn´t a red card...

Ipswich Town FC since 1981

Worst tackle ever... on 20:54 - Nov 11 with 1211 viewschrismakin

Ben thatcher elbow has to be the worst tackle I've ever seen

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Worst tackle ever... on 20:55 - Nov 11 with 1212 viewsbournemouthblue

Worst tackle ever... on 20:36 - Nov 11 by StockholmBlue

This is pretty bad from Scholes. Unbelievable it wasn´t a red card...

This Souness tackle always amuses me

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Worst tackle ever... on 21:04 - Nov 11 with 1178 viewsMatt_Netherlands

I seem to remember a Norwich player colliding with the advertising boards on the cobbold stand during a game in the early 2000s and was stretchered off with a broken leg? Think he was in loan from Boro or somewhere like that!
Worst tackle ever... on 21:10 - Nov 11 with 1165 viewsParisBlue

Worst tackle ever... on 21:04 - Nov 11 by Matt_Netherlands

I seem to remember a Norwich player colliding with the advertising boards on the cobbold stand during a game in the early 2000s and was stretchered off with a broken leg? Think he was in loan from Boro or somewhere like that!

Matthew Bates vs Luke Chadwick.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Worst tackle ever... on 21:11 - Nov 11 with 1165 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Steve McCall on Trevor Steven at Goodison in 1985... probably cost us an FA cup semi final appearance. Steve was in his mid 20's here, oldest youngman ever.

'Tackle' at 9:24

[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 21:13]
Worst tackle ever... on 21:11 - Nov 11 with 1160 viewsReuser_is_God

Luke Hyam on Alan Judge.

Joking, it wasn’t even a foul.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Worst tackle ever... on 21:21 - Nov 11 with 1103 viewsIllinoisblue

Worst tackle ever... on 21:11 - Nov 11 by burnbudgiesburn

Steve McCall on Trevor Steven at Goodison in 1985... probably cost us an FA cup semi final appearance. Steve was in his mid 20's here, oldest youngman ever.

'Tackle' at 9:24

[Post edited 11 Nov 2021 21:13]

Just a tad late. Facking hell!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Worst tackle ever... on 21:27 - Nov 11 with 1090 viewswoodbridge_blue

One that springs to mind recently is the one by a Watford player (can't recall his name but I think it was Scandinavian) on Jonny Williams at Portman Road.

We went on to win the game, but how that tackle never got a red card was beyond me.
Worst tackle ever... on 21:30 - Nov 11 with 1080 viewsCoastalblue

Before my time, but this was allegedly a tasty game, apparently spawned red and yellow cards too.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Worst tackle ever... on 21:35 - Nov 11 with 1060 viewsGeoffSentence

Worst tackle ever... on 21:27 - Nov 11 by woodbridge_blue

One that springs to mind recently is the one by a Watford player (can't recall his name but I think it was Scandinavian) on Jonny Williams at Portman Road.

We went on to win the game, but how that tackle never got a red card was beyond me.

There was also an attempted emasculation of David McGoldrick that went unpunished at around the same time.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Worst tackle ever... on 21:37 - Nov 11 with 1047 viewshomer_123

Who took out that Norwich player and put them in the hordings?

Ohhhh sorry....not the best tackle!

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Worst tackle ever... on 21:37 - Nov 11 with 1047 viewsDarth_Koont

Not a tackle, but Downes attempted headbutt in a friendly was pretty nasty.

He went down a fair bit in my eyes with that. But surprising to me how that was generally just accepted.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024