Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team 22:24 - Nov 13 with 3454 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Maybe I just don't know enough about football or have got it completely wrong.

I just cannot see what Lee Evans is offering us in that midfield. Morsy is the one who wants to play deep and get the ball off the back 4, Evans to my eye seems to be occupying exactly the same space, trying to do exactly the same job, but nowhere near as well.

Scott Fraser or Tom Carroll or Idris in that position please.

Be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:27 - Nov 13 with 3003 viewsReuser_is_God

I actually think Evans has been really good in recent games (Fleetwood, Wycombe, Portsmouth).

He does play a lot of Hollywood balls which don’t always come off but when they do.....

His switching of play is very good.

I can’t comment on today as I wasn’t there but I’ve always felt Fraser would also be suited to the deeper role too & it was interesting that he played there mid week.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:29 - Nov 13 with 2988 viewsunstableblue

I actually thought evans was OK today, he was managing to switch play, and also got stuck in… agreed he should be giving more

The problem today was a rusty Donacien (who improved), Toto long distribution (but he was strong in defence at times), and critically the attacking 3 midfielders

Just not sharp enough and effective in the final pass

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 with 2898 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:27 - Nov 13 by Reuser_is_God

I actually think Evans has been really good in recent games (Fleetwood, Wycombe, Portsmouth).

He does play a lot of Hollywood balls which don’t always come off but when they do.....

His switching of play is very good.

I can’t comment on today as I wasn’t there but I’ve always felt Fraser would also be suited to the deeper role too & it was interesting that he played there mid week.

I just dont think I have seen enough from Evans apart form the sideways pass or a fancy cross field.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin Bru, tidy player but forgettable and loves a Hollywood ball.

Maybe we need someone like Fraser who will try something a bit more daring.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 with 2898 viewsAlanG296

Have to agree, aside from the freak second half he had against doncaster he's been very underwhelming. He must have played a lot of Rugby as a kid because most of his passes are backwards or sideways. Can't turn with the ball, dithers in possession a lot, seems to prefer playing facing his defence, likes to point to other players telling who to pass to (not me says Lee), he's not one who takes responsibility. Definitely not a gamechanger. Yes on occasion plays a good pass, or strikes a good free kick, but there's a lot of dross in between.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:01 - Nov 13 with 2888 viewsZXBlue

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

I just dont think I have seen enough from Evans apart form the sideways pass or a fancy cross field.

He reminds me a lot of Kevin Bru, tidy player but forgettable and loves a Hollywood ball.

Maybe we need someone like Fraser who will try something a bit more daring.

I agree. Times when he could have looked forward, he turned back. Not awful, but hard to see what he brings.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:11 - Nov 13 with 2859 viewsIllinoisblue

Mostly agree with that. If Morsy is to sit deep, break up play, recycle the ball, then Evans has to be a creative spark. He doesn’t do that enough.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:18 - Nov 13 with 2831 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 by AlanG296

Have to agree, aside from the freak second half he had against doncaster he's been very underwhelming. He must have played a lot of Rugby as a kid because most of his passes are backwards or sideways. Can't turn with the ball, dithers in possession a lot, seems to prefer playing facing his defence, likes to point to other players telling who to pass to (not me says Lee), he's not one who takes responsibility. Definitely not a gamechanger. Yes on occasion plays a good pass, or strikes a good free kick, but there's a lot of dross in between.

I would agree with most of that. When he is on the ball, I look down or look away and when I look back the ball is normally behind where he had it last, just doesn't offer much in my opinion.

You obviously weren’t at Wycombe away (n/t) on 23:20 - Nov 13 with 2817 viewsunstableblue

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 22:59 - Nov 13 by AlanG296

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Login to get fewer ads

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:21 - Nov 13 with 2814 viewsAlanG296

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:18 - Nov 13 by TRUE_BLUE123

I would agree with most of that. When he is on the ball, I look down or look away and when I look back the ball is normally behind where he had it last, just doesn't offer much in my opinion.

Definitely one of the positions we should be looking to improve in the next window.
You obviously weren’t at Wycombe away (n/t) on 23:39 - Nov 13 with 2762 viewsAlanG296

You obviously weren’t at Wycombe away (n/t) on 23:20 - Nov 13 by unstableblue

No, I wasn't, but have been at all the home games.

If he plays well at Wycombe perhaps we should sell him to them.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 00:18 - Nov 14 with 2691 viewsGarv

He wasn't very good today, but if you watch it back you'll probably see he was never likely to shine. The Fleetwood game we won in the last minute he was a major part of.

He did a few dodgy things today. Wouldn't be upset if Carroll was in there, but he isn't fit sadly. Also unconvinced Fraser could do it.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 05:39 - Nov 14 with 2432 viewsArnieM

I suppose in order to answer the OP, it might be useful to identify what exactly , is Evans role in the side? I’m not sure I know ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 07:20 - Nov 14 with 2354 viewsitfcjoe

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 23:11 - Nov 13 by Illinoisblue

Mostly agree with that. If Morsy is to sit deep, break up play, recycle the ball, then Evans has to be a creative spark. He doesn’t do that enough.

I think they are both there to sit really, our forward momentum and creativity comes from the wide players and forwards.

The fact that Morsy and Evans have played near on 100 games together under Paul Cook would indicate they know what their roles are and are doing mostly what they should be - Evans switching of play is very good and when you attack from wide positions that’s important

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 08:34 - Nov 14 with 2097 viewsGuthrum

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 07:20 - Nov 14 by itfcjoe

I think they are both there to sit really, our forward momentum and creativity comes from the wide players and forwards.

The fact that Morsy and Evans have played near on 100 games together under Paul Cook would indicate they know what their roles are and are doing mostly what they should be - Evans switching of play is very good and when you attack from wide positions that’s important

Moreover, having two "sitters" gives extra protection to our defence, which has been notably more secure since we started doing that.

League games -
Morsy & Evans did not start together: P9 W1 D5 L3 GA18 (2 gpg)
Morsy & Evans did start together: P8 W5 D1 L2 GA7 (0.875 gpg)

All this without really damaging our ability to create goalscoring opportunities (yesterday was unfortunate with a couple of saves, hitting the post and a bit of uncharacteristic inaccuracy). Average goals per game scored by us with Morsy and Evans starting is 2.5, as opposed to 1.56 without.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 08:41 - Nov 14 with 2066 viewsChateauWines

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 08:34 - Nov 14 by Guthrum

Moreover, having two "sitters" gives extra protection to our defence, which has been notably more secure since we started doing that.

League games -
Morsy & Evans did not start together: P9 W1 D5 L3 GA18 (2 gpg)
Morsy & Evans did start together: P8 W5 D1 L2 GA7 (0.875 gpg)

All this without really damaging our ability to create goalscoring opportunities (yesterday was unfortunate with a couple of saves, hitting the post and a bit of uncharacteristic inaccuracy). Average goals per game scored by us with Morsy and Evans starting is 2.5, as opposed to 1.56 without.

Good work, saved me looking up the stats. I see original posters point though. Lee Evans is not easy on the eye and can be very frustrating to watch. The stats don't lie, but to reach top two we will need more than we are getting

Poll: CRUMPETS- What to put on?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 08:55 - Nov 14 with 2020 viewsNthQldITFC

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 07:20 - Nov 14 by itfcjoe

I agree, but feel we are playing as a team 10 to 20 yards too far back, primarily because our defence is not comfortable enough on the ball, and we end up retreating when being pressed. If we were controlling games essentially just inside our own half, the two sitting midfielders can add creativity without losing the vital defensive aspect of their game which allows the full backs to overload.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:13 - Nov 14 with 1953 viewsfranz_tyson

I’d stick with Evans for the time being. He’s not as physical as Morsy, but does offer more in the tackle than Fraser or Carroll. It’s been mentioned that El Mizouni likes a tackle in training so maybe he’s the next cab on the rank.

For me, the next one to drop out is Edwards. Just hasn’t got the end product. We’ve got Fraser, Chaplin and Aluko on the bench and they’ve got more goals/assists in them than him. Added to the fact that Celina is an enigma and can disappear for large parts of the game, I think them two starting means we’re carrying a couple of players for too long in a game.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:14 - Nov 14 with 1951 viewsRomeo4

I thought Evans played well yesterday. He has been really important to our upturn in form. His set piece delivery is mostly good too.

It is clear that he and Morsy have a good understanding and I think they balance well with each other.

we’d miss either of these players quite badly if they weren’t in the side. I just don’t see any of the alternatives providing the same strength in that area.
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 9:15]
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:22 - Nov 14 with 1909 viewsGuthrum

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:13 - Nov 14 by franz_tyson

I’d stick with Evans for the time being. He’s not as physical as Morsy, but does offer more in the tackle than Fraser or Carroll. It’s been mentioned that El Mizouni likes a tackle in training so maybe he’s the next cab on the rank.

For me, the next one to drop out is Edwards. Just hasn’t got the end product. We’ve got Fraser, Chaplin and Aluko on the bench and they’ve got more goals/assists in them than him. Added to the fact that Celina is an enigma and can disappear for large parts of the game, I think them two starting means we’re carrying a couple of players for too long in a game.

Maybe swap things around and use Edwards as the impact sub against tireder legs in the last 20 or 30 minutes of games, with Chaplin or Aluko doing the first hour or so.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

You obviously weren’t at Wycombe away (n/t) on 09:22 - Nov 14 with 1908 viewsCheltenham_Blue

You obviously weren’t at Wycombe away (n/t) on 23:39 - Nov 13 by AlanG296

No, I wasn't, but have been at all the home games.

If he plays well at Wycombe perhaps we should sell him to them.

Whether you like him or not, he's one of the better players in this division.
Its a rather flippant remark, from someone I assume is a grown up.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:27 - Nov 14 with 1887 viewschicoazul

Your point about Evans and Morsy doing the same job. Isn’t that exactly what Cook wants from the CMs? Their job is to be clones of one another.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:33 - Nov 14 with 1869 viewsfranz_tyson

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:22 - Nov 14 by Guthrum

Maybe swap things around and use Edwards as the impact sub against tireder legs in the last 20 or 30 minutes of games, with Chaplin or Aluko doing the first hour or so.

I really think we should get Chaplin in the side. He was playing well before he was rested. I prefer him as a number 10 to Celina. Better link up play and neat around the box.

But Celina is seen as the preferred 10 and I do wonder if it’s because he’s unlikely to deal with the defensive duties that the wide players have to do.
But, for me, Edwards isn’t doing enough to keep Aluko, Chaplin or Fraser on the bench.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:01 - Nov 14 with 1813 viewsSimonds92

Disagree with this and a lot of subsequent posts. Im not sure what some people have been watching so far this season but he's a sitting midfielder who should position himself to recieve the ball and give an out ball. He has the ability to then spray passes, whereas Morsy seems to be able to drive at players but only pass the ball 10 yards. They compliment eachother well, but crucially he's not in the team as a box to box player. If he was we'd concede even more goals. The front 4 and the fullbacks have full license to get forward, do people genuinely expect us to just leave 2 cbs and 1 holder? Comments on the lack of creativity seem pretty ridiculous when we're the league's top scorers. Sometimes it doesnt quite happen like yesterday but there was every chance we could have won that game, i don't understand people desperate to wait for a bad result to get stuck in to someone. Fair enough if it was the start of the season when we looked so open but our form over the past 5-10 games is good and he's been a key part of that.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:08 - Nov 14 with 1783 viewsfranz_tyson

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:01 - Nov 14 by Simonds92

Disagree with this and a lot of subsequent posts. Im not sure what some people have been watching so far this season but he's a sitting midfielder who should position himself to recieve the ball and give an out ball. He has the ability to then spray passes, whereas Morsy seems to be able to drive at players but only pass the ball 10 yards. They compliment eachother well, but crucially he's not in the team as a box to box player. If he was we'd concede even more goals. The front 4 and the fullbacks have full license to get forward, do people genuinely expect us to just leave 2 cbs and 1 holder? Comments on the lack of creativity seem pretty ridiculous when we're the league's top scorers. Sometimes it doesnt quite happen like yesterday but there was every chance we could have won that game, i don't understand people desperate to wait for a bad result to get stuck in to someone. Fair enough if it was the start of the season when we looked so open but our form over the past 5-10 games is good and he's been a key part of that.

Tend to agree. If he’s covering for the full-backs, making tackles and playing the simple ball then he’s doing his job. 6/10 every game and he’s earning his place as we’ve plenty of attacking options.

However, he has a decent pass in his locker so it would be good to see that more often, but not the telegraphed switched pass that gets cut out.

I do wonder if he needs to add more bite to his game, though.
Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 10:21 - Nov 14 with 1735 viewsstrikalite

Time for Lee Evans to drop out the team on 09:13 - Nov 14 by franz_tyson

I think I'd tempted with El Miz too, that lad has a shot in his locker too, I do understand the purpose of the Evans role as a holder, but at times he lacks a bit of drive when space appears, someone else must slot in and cover, not saying all the time obviously but there are certainly moments..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024