Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi 09:20 - Nov 14 with 2363 viewsStokieBlue

However it's not due to C19. The lockdown will be a "pollution" lockdown because the air at the moment is so dangerous and polluted. Schools are already closed.

It's incredible that they know they have to consider and probably implement these measures when you see their stances on various issues at Cop26. Modi couldn't even be bothered to attend of course.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 09:43 - Nov 14 with 1233 viewseastangliaisblue

It's just ridiculous isn't it?

Only just finished reading about India and China watering down the wording to coal use in the climate deal. We're all f#$ked.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:26 - Nov 14 with 1178 viewsPinewoodblue

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 09:43 - Nov 14 by eastangliaisblue

Only just finished reading about India and China watering down the wording to coal use in the climate deal. We're all f#$ked.

India may have openly put up the most resistance on coal but when China and USA agreed on a joint approach a meaningful agreement became impossible.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-11-13/india-s-last-minute-coal-defe

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:40 - Nov 14 with 1144 viewsBasuco

Pre first lockdown a work colleague went on a photography trip to Deli, from his 7th floor hotel window he could not see the ground! Yes India has a huge pollution problem.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:50 - Nov 14 with 1121 viewschicoazul

I always get shouted at when I tell everyone that.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:57 - Nov 14 with 1113 viewsWD19

Nuclear war between India and China might well be the best hope the planet has got for long term survival.

That said, the planet will probably be fine come whatever. It’s just the humans on it that will be fcked.

Anyway, carry on breeding folk….
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:59 - Nov 14 with 1097 viewsDubtractor

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:57 - Nov 14 by WD19

Nuclear war between India and China might well be the best hope the planet has got for long term survival.

That said, the planet will probably be fine come whatever. It’s just the humans on it that will be fcked.

Me and Mrs Dub opted against having kids.

I am a real life eco hero.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:13 - Nov 14 with 1072 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:57 - Nov 14 by WD19

It’s nothing to do with population at all. Nobody in the west is in a position to tell our friends in Malaysia to stop having 4 children when our one car poisons the planet far more. Please disabuse yourself of this notion despite what Attenborough thinks. He’s wrong. It’s nothing to do with population.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:18 - Nov 14 with 1060 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:13 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

It’s nothing to do with population at all. Nobody in the west is in a position to tell our friends in Malaysia to stop having 4 children when our one car poisons the planet far more. Please disabuse yourself of this notion despite what Attenborough thinks. He’s wrong. It’s nothing to do with population.

Population is a huge part of it. All these people need to be fed and housed, they need transport and employment. All of these things contribute to emissions.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:22 - Nov 14 with 1054 viewseastangliaisblue

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:59 - Nov 14 by Dubtractor

Me and Mrs Dub opted against having kids.

I am a real life eco hero.

I always had reservations on having kids purely because of the way the world is going. Don't get my wrong, I don't regret having them, as I couldn't imagine my life without them. I just worry what the world is going to be like for them, in the next 20-30 years.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:22 - Nov 14 with 1048 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:18 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Population is a huge part of it. All these people need to be fed and housed, they need transport and employment. All of these things contribute to emissions.

People here are always telling me it’s a question of degree in these things and moan at me about per capita emissions. There is no way whatsoever the emissions of a family of 8 farmers fishers wife and children in Malaysia is anything like the same as a family of 4 in England. George Monbiot says that and if it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for me.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:23 - Nov 14 with 1048 viewseastangliaisblue

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 10:40 - Nov 14 by Basuco

Pre first lockdown a work colleague went on a photography trip to Deli, from his 7th floor hotel window he could not see the ground! Yes India has a huge pollution problem.

I went to India around 15 years ago and the air pollution was horrendous everywhere I went.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:29 - Nov 14 with 1015 viewsWD19

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:13 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

In 1900, the year my great grandmother was born, the global population was 1.6 billion.

If it was reduced to 1.6 billion now I would wager that overall emissions would fall - short term decomposition effects aside.

There is quite literally no day in which the worlds population doesn’t continue to climb - even through wars and pandemics.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:34 - Nov 14 with 1001 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:29 - Nov 14 by WD19

In 1900, the year my great grandmother was born, the global population was 1.6 billion.

If it was reduced to 1.6 billion now I would wager that overall emissions would fall - short term decomposition effects aside.

There is quite literally no day in which the worlds population doesn’t continue to climb - even through wars and pandemics.

The issue is not population, it’s resources and distribution of same. There is plenty for everyone. If we all decided to live in high rise a la Brooklyn you could fit the entire population of the planet into a space the size of what was Yugoslavia.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:40 - Nov 14 with 989 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:22 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

People here are always telling me it’s a question of degree in these things and moan at me about per capita emissions. There is no way whatsoever the emissions of a family of 8 farmers fishers wife and children in Malaysia is anything like the same as a family of 4 in England. George Monbiot says that and if it’s good enough for him it’s good enough for me.

China and India are the two most populous countries in the world and they are the ones who watered down the COP 26 agreement because they feel they need to keep burning coal to meet their needs. The idea that more people does not lead to more pollution is a fiction. Look at how emissions have grown, it doesn't just mirror industrialisation but also rapid global population growth.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:43 - Nov 14 with 978 viewsWD19

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:34 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

The issue is not population, it’s resources and distribution of same. There is plenty for everyone. If we all decided to live in high rise a la Brooklyn you could fit the entire population of the planet into a space the size of what was Yugoslavia.

There are many issues in play, but of all of them, population is the largest.

Arguing for fairness in resource allocation is like debating seating arrangements and class rules on the titanic.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:48 - Nov 14 with 960 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:43 - Nov 14 by WD19

There are many issues in play, but of all of them, population is the largest.

Arguing for fairness in resource allocation is like debating seating arrangements and class rules on the titanic.

I’m sorry but it really really really is not. It’s the most fundamental question of our age. The idea that you and I with our cotton clothes cars meatballs cartons of Ribena and a week in Mykonos can point to old mate in Thailand and tell him to stop having kids because we can’t figure out a fairer way of allocating the plenty that is available is nuts and yes I’m afraid racist and classist.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:50 - Nov 14 with 951 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:48 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

I’m sorry but it really really really is not. It’s the most fundamental question of our age. The idea that you and I with our cotton clothes cars meatballs cartons of Ribena and a week in Mykonos can point to old mate in Thailand and tell him to stop having kids because we can’t figure out a fairer way of allocating the plenty that is available is nuts and yes I’m afraid racist and classist.

Incredible straw manning from you here, Chico. You're the only person mentioning people in South East Asia, which is frankly rather odd.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:51 - Nov 14 with 940 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Is the answer global capitalism, a race to he bottom and grinding poverty?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:52 - Nov 14 with 940 viewsWeWereZombies

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:40 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

China and India are the two most populous countries in the world and they are the ones who watered down the COP 26 agreement because they feel they need to keep burning coal to meet their needs. The idea that more people does not lead to more pollution is a fiction. Look at how emissions have grown, it doesn't just mirror industrialisation but also rapid global population growth.

That's 1950s thinking, Herbs - the key to accommodating rising population (with an eventual levelling out later in the century) and maintaining the 1.5 degrees target is a change in lifestyle that is not a debilitating change. That means we have to test, adopt and finesse new technologies.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:53 - Nov 14 with 934 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:50 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Incredible straw manning from you here, Chico. You're the only person mentioning people in South East Asia, which is frankly rather odd.

But isn’t that exactly what everyone who says population is so important is exactly doing?
This is excellent and reflects my view far more eloquently and accurately than I ever could; https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/26/panic-overpopulation-clima

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:53 - Nov 14 with 933 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:52 - Nov 14 by WeWereZombies

That's 1950s thinking, Herbs - the key to accommodating rising population (with an eventual levelling out later in the century) and maintaining the 1.5 degrees target is a change in lifestyle that is not a debilitating change. That means we have to test, adopt and finesse new technologies.

Sounds legit.

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:56 - Nov 14 with 928 viewsHerbivore

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:53 - Nov 14 by chicoazul

But isn’t that exactly what everyone who says population is so important is exactly doing?
This is excellent and reflects my view far more eloquently and accurately than I ever could; https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/26/panic-overpopulation-clima

No, if you read the thread the only person obsessed with people having kids in South East Asia is you. The population in developed nations has grown massively, life expectancy has risen significantly even in my life time. The issue of distribution of resources is a separate one, the facts are that sustaining the current global population is killing the planet irrespective of distribution, if you think the population growing further won't add to that then you're way off.

Edit - science agrees with me that not having kids (or at least having one fewer kid) is one of the most eco things one can do as an individual: https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/sustainable-living/climate-crisis-c
[Post edited 14 Nov 2021 11:58]

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:56 - Nov 14 with 925 viewsBasuco

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:23 - Nov 14 by eastangliaisblue

I went to India around 15 years ago and the air pollution was horrendous everywhere I went.

I should have made it clear, this was immediately before first lockdown.
India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:00 - Nov 14 with 907 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:56 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

No, if you read the thread the only person obsessed with people having kids in South East Asia is you. The population in developed nations has grown massively, life expectancy has risen significantly even in my life time. The issue of distribution of resources is a separate one, the facts are that sustaining the current global population is killing the planet irrespective of distribution, if you think the population growing further won't add to that then you're way off.

Edit - science agrees with me that not having kids (or at least having one fewer kid) is one of the most eco things one can do as an individual: https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/sustainable-living/climate-crisis-c

If you read the article linked you will see it does contribute yes but *but by a tiny amount relatively*. This is what I can get over, people telling me on the one hand muh per capita and the other hand muh too many of *those* people. People in England who decide not to have kids due to the climate , well ok, but have you retired your car? Because if you did you could have as many kids as you want or don’t want. And if you didn’t, well…..

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 12:01 - Nov 14 with 902 viewschicoazul

India are considering a lockdown of Delhi on 11:56 - Nov 14 by Herbivore

Jesus Christ. Of course not having kids would be “eco”. Guess what happens next…?????

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024