Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... 10:22 - Nov 16 with 3164 viewsFBI

...and it was football in a library, to coin a phrase.

I sat in Churchman's (SAR) as I always have. When I went regularly in the 70s-80s it was a hotbed of singing and cheering but at the weekend it was bloody awful and I wished I was in the North Stand - the silence was embarrassing, especially for a 21K+ crowd.

What's happened to everyone?

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 10:22 - Nov 16 with 2306 viewsunbelievablue

Lol.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:24 - Nov 16 with 2144 viewstrncbluearmy

be good to get the Churchmen's going again was a point many years when they nearly rivalled the Northstand
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:27 - Nov 16 with 2119 viewsitfcsuth

I feel there is a sense of irony here that somebody is questioning fans level of support within the stadium, but hasn't attended a game at PR in nearly decade?
Reckon you should have gone in the North Stand then mate. (n/t) on 11:29 - Nov 16 with 2084 viewsBloots

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:36 - Nov 16 with 2050 viewsIllinoisblue

What songs and chants did you try and get started?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:42 - Nov 16 with 2016 viewsFBI

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:27 - Nov 16 by itfcsuth

I feel there is a sense of irony here that somebody is questioning fans level of support within the stadium, but hasn't attended a game at PR in nearly decade?

Sorry, my bad. Must remember to not spend the NEXT thirty years living a minimum of 270 miles away and working weekends. Must try harder.

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:43 - Nov 16 with 2004 viewsFBI

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:36 - Nov 16 by Illinoisblue

What songs and chants did you try and get started?

Me and my brother tried several times and got stared at as though we'd farted.

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:49 - Nov 16 with 1974 viewsFixed_It

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:43 - Nov 16 by FBI

Sir Alf Upper near the away fans - there's usually a small group in there who sing, and others join in when the atmosphere builds.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Login to get fewer ads

Reckon you should have gone in the North Stand then mate. (n/t) on 11:49 - Nov 16 with 1972 viewsFBI

Reckon you should have gone in the North Stand then mate. (n/t) on 11:29 - Nov 16 by Bloots

1. Family connections. The seats we had were exactly in the spot we always used to stand, 1976 - 87 along with my brother, Aunt (who took us both as kids), sister, daughter and brother- and sister-in laws.

2. At away games, which I do get to a few of, the North Standers are a large part of travelling support.

3. What's your point, exactly?

My point is that..... on 11:53 - Nov 16 with 1921 viewsBloots

Reckon you should have gone in the North Stand then mate. (n/t) on 11:49 - Nov 16 by FBI

1. Family connections. The seats we had were exactly in the spot we always used to stand, 1976 - 87 along with my brother, Aunt (who took us both as kids), sister, daughter and brother- and sister-in laws.

2. At away games, which I do get to a few of, the North Standers are a large part of travelling support.

3. What's your point, exactly?

...I'm surprised that you are surprised.

You went back to a spot that you used to stand in 35-45 years ago and appear to be shocked that things had changed.

Yeah, they sit near me.... on 11:54 - Nov 16 with 1908 viewsBloots

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:49 - Nov 16 by Fixed_It

Sir Alf Upper near the away fans - there's usually a small group in there who sing, and others join in when the atmosphere builds.

...I sometimes "tut" along with them.

The bloke who sits next to me started joining in on Saturday, I just gave him a dirty look.

Had you farted? (n/t) on 11:55 - Nov 16 with 1893 viewsBloots

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:43 - Nov 16 by FBI

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:56 - Nov 16 with 1899 viewsHerbivore

Churchman's lower has been a graveyard for years. I had a season ticket there for a couple of years and the only time there was any noise was against Norwich or in THAT game against Sheffield United. Otherwise, dead. If you want atmosphere you need to be in the lower North.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Yeah, they sit near me.... on 12:03 - Nov 16 with 1847 viewsFixed_It

Yeah, they sit near me.... on 11:54 - Nov 16 by Bloots

...I sometimes "tut" along with them.

The bloke who sits next to me started joining in on Saturday, I just gave him a dirty look.

You must sit near me then. But it wasn't me. Unless you're my mate. Which would be a shock development...

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Hello mate..... on 12:14 - Nov 16 with 1747 viewsBloots

Yeah, they sit near me.... on 12:03 - Nov 16 by Fixed_It

You must sit near me then. But it wasn't me. Unless you're my mate. Which would be a shock development...

....I thought it was you.

I sit in the front row, I'm normally kicking the wall in disgust (at the results and the excessive noise)

Hello mate..... on 12:23 - Nov 16 with 1685 viewsFixed_It

Hello mate..... on 12:14 - Nov 16 by Bloots

....I thought it was you.

I sit in the front row, I'm normally kicking the wall in disgust (at the results and the excessive noise)

I thought the kicking the wall bit was you trying to generate more atmosphere in the absence of a SAR drummer.

I'm about a third of the way back. I will look out for a grumpy old git with a bruised foot.

Ready! Steady! Cook!

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 12:27 - Nov 16 with 1646 viewsChurchman

I stood and sat in Churchmans more than any other part of the ground, hence the name I use - but I have sat and stood in just about every part of the ground over the years, including a season ticket in North Stand. For noise and fun, North Stand was always light years better than the rest of the ground in my view. Churchmans could get noisy (Bolton play off, Man Utd, Norwich sometimes) but for me, it was always relatively quiet.

As a football ground, I’ve always loved the intimacy of PR, though the steam and stench from the old urinal trough behind Churchmans was a bit too intimate😃. I hope with any changes in the future that is not lost. With good design, it doesn’t have to be as shown by Spurs’ new stadium.
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 12:36 - Nov 16 with 1565 viewsfarkenhell

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 12:27 - Nov 16 by Churchman

I stood and sat in Churchmans more than any other part of the ground, hence the name I use - but I have sat and stood in just about every part of the ground over the years, including a season ticket in North Stand. For noise and fun, North Stand was always light years better than the rest of the ground in my view. Churchmans could get noisy (Bolton play off, Man Utd, Norwich sometimes) but for me, it was always relatively quiet.

As a football ground, I’ve always loved the intimacy of PR, though the steam and stench from the old urinal trough behind Churchmans was a bit too intimate😃. I hope with any changes in the future that is not lost. With good design, it doesn’t have to be as shown by Spurs’ new stadium.

Spurs' new stadium has a steam and stench urinal trough?

Blimey. Matches the quality of football on offer I suppose.
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 12:41 - Nov 16 with 1542 viewsSarge

“What's happened to everyone?“

Given you last went regularly in the 70s and 80s I’d imagine a fair amount of them have died.
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:07 - Nov 16 with 1397 viewsDinDjarin

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:56 - Nov 16 by Herbivore

Churchman's lower has been a graveyard for years. I had a season ticket there for a couple of years and the only time there was any noise was against Norwich or in THAT game against Sheffield United. Otherwise, dead. If you want atmosphere you need to be in the lower North.

What game was that?
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:10 - Nov 16 with 1373 viewsAlanG296

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 11:42 - Nov 16 by FBI

Sorry, my bad. Must remember to not spend the NEXT thirty years living a minimum of 270 miles away and working weekends. Must try harder.

Your choice where you live and work.
Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:11 - Nov 16 with 1363 viewsHerbivore

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:07 - Nov 16 by DinDjarin

What game was that?

If you don't know you're not a real Town fan.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:18 - Nov 16 with 1320 viewsVic

I think it’s that the same people are in Churchmans now as were there when you went as a younger person. Trouble is they are all (like you) 40 yrs older and no longer sing and chant as they used to.

We badly need to excite and get in a new, younger generation. Thank goodness the omens are good and it may just be about to happen.

Ps - Churchmans was ok in the SBR era (it’s where I used to stand, but been pretty much dead since then, especially since seating came in.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 13:23]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:21 - Nov 16 with 1307 viewsFBI

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:10 - Nov 16 by AlanG296

Your choice where you live and work.

How exactly is that relevant to the question about SAR being quiet?

Oxford at PR was my first home game in nearly a decade... on 13:21 - Nov 16 with 1304 viewsitfc_bucks

What's happened to them over the past 30-40 years?

Most will be dead. I tend to think that's a likelihood any given weekend, taking a look at their average demographic.

Me and the lad like the SAR lower. Bit of noise, bit of space and right by the goal. Can't beat it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024