Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Berlin! 17:57 - Nov 16 with 2205 viewsmonytowbray

Going in December. Any recommendations outside the Holocaust memorial and The Ramones museum?!

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Berlin! on 18:02 - Nov 16 with 1537 viewsSwansea_Blue

The marathon's meant to be good

Other than that, no, sorry. It's on my wish list though.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Berlin! on 18:04 - Nov 16 with 1531 viewsthebooks

The DDR museum by the river is fantastic, as is the Wall museum. I just walked around as much as possible.

I stayed near Zionskirche in Prenzlauer Berg, an old DDR neighbourhood. I think staying in the old East is probably more interesting, but all the touristy stuff like Brandenburg and Reichstag is fantastic too.

Jealous!
Berlin! on 18:06 - Nov 16 with 1524 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

The DDR museum is worth a couple of hours. So is walking around the old East German part from Karl Marx Allee.
Great City.
Get up the TV Tower in Alexanderplatz too. Magnificent views of Berlin.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 18:09]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Berlin! on 18:07 - Nov 16 with 1518 viewsJakeITFC

Save a couple of days for Berghain.
Berlin! on 18:08 - Nov 16 with 1516 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Amazing city, with so much to see. East Side Gallery is great and do spend an hour or so in Mauer Park, which was a former death strip.

You should also visit Jüdisches Museum Berlin (The Jewish Museum) and Topographie des Terror which documents german atrocities during WWII, and is a really sobering experience, plus, obviously, Checkpoint Charlie for photos, and the Brandenburg Gate, which still shows the bullet and shell holes inflicted during the last days of the war.

Away from the obvious stuff, Berlin has some of the most diverse and amazing food, I've ever eaten. If you see a 'Panda Burger' do try the vegan burger, its something else, and thats as a non vegan.

Also head down toward Tiergarden and spend an hour or so wandering around Großer Tiergarten which is beautiful. Berlin Zoo, is very much like every Zoo you've ever been to, but Berlin holds some of the most amazing art and photography galleries in Europe.

I'm absolutely in love with the place. Its a stunning city and watching the sun rise or set over the Rhine is an amazing way to start or end the day.

Avoid the Wheat Beer though, unless you enjoy your guts turning upside down, try the 'Berliner' when ordering a beer or two.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 18:10]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Berlin! on 18:09 - Nov 16 with 1505 viewsSitfcB

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurants-g187323-c37-Berlin.html

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Berlin! on 18:13 - Nov 16 with 1476 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Berlin! on 18:08 - Nov 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

Amazing city, with so much to see. East Side Gallery is great and do spend an hour or so in Mauer Park, which was a former death strip.

You should also visit Jüdisches Museum Berlin (The Jewish Museum) and Topographie des Terror which documents german atrocities during WWII, and is a really sobering experience, plus, obviously, Checkpoint Charlie for photos, and the Brandenburg Gate, which still shows the bullet and shell holes inflicted during the last days of the war.

Away from the obvious stuff, Berlin has some of the most diverse and amazing food, I've ever eaten. If you see a 'Panda Burger' do try the vegan burger, its something else, and thats as a non vegan.

Also head down toward Tiergarden and spend an hour or so wandering around Großer Tiergarten which is beautiful. Berlin Zoo, is very much like every Zoo you've ever been to, but Berlin holds some of the most amazing art and photography galleries in Europe.

I'm absolutely in love with the place. Its a stunning city and watching the sun rise or set over the Rhine is an amazing way to start or end the day.

Avoid the Wheat Beer though, unless you enjoy your guts turning upside down, try the 'Berliner' when ordering a beer or two.

Oh, and finally, try not to get too bent out of shape with the U25 year olds acting like dicks in the Holocaust Memorial, jumping from stone to stone, laughing and doing selfies etc.

They just don't have a fking clue. Just pay your own respects and move on.

Berlin! on 18:16 - Nov 16 with 1446 viewsOldboy

Lisbon/Barcelona/Paris.
Login to get fewer ads

Berlin! on 18:22 - Nov 16 with 1432 viewsfactual_blue

The Museum Of Unheard Of Things

http://alreadynotyet.org/02.html

Very near the top of the list of Worst Museums in Berlin.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Berlin! on 18:29 - Nov 16 with 1414 viewschurchmantom

It was on my bucket list and did it 7 years ago , tv tower was great had a meal there lovely food.
Holocaust museum very harrowing as well as the Jewish museum, walked around the Olympic stadium as well , people were lovely and friendly and food wasn’t expensive either also visit the former gestapo headquarters now a museum and visited a car park which was on top of the fueher bunker would go again tomorrow if I could.
Berlin! on 18:37 - Nov 16 with 1400 viewstazdac

It takes my breath away! ;o)
Berlin! on 18:43 - Nov 16 with 1382 viewsdickie

I did the hansa studio tour, was brilliant (but I'm a Bowie nut). Would definitely recommend the DDR museum. Also, sample a curry wurst and the street pretzels
Berlin! on 18:48 - Nov 16 with 1380 viewsfabian_illness

Hope you have a great time.
That’s one place I’d love to visit.
Berlin! on 18:53 - Nov 16 with 1367 viewseastangliaisblue

Berlin! on 18:08 - Nov 16 by Cheltenham_Blue

Bloody love a wheat beer.
Berlin! on 19:05 - Nov 16 with 1332 viewsBlueNomad

Try the Stasi Prison. It’s in a nondescript area which was left off street maps. The guides are survivors and/or their relatives. Incredible that it was still busy just over thirty years ago.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 19:53]
Berlin! on 19:12 - Nov 16 with 1316 viewsTIB

Berghain.

Poll: How much did you actually think Mick would spend in January?

Berlin! on 19:18 - Nov 16 with 1301 viewsEiffel78

https://www.rausch.de/en/chocolate-house
Berlin! on 19:23 - Nov 16 with 1282 viewsEiffel78

And on the other end of the scale, there's a concentration camp, Sachsenhausen, in Oranienburg, which is just outside the city and still accessible on the U-bahn & S-bahn network.
Berlin! on 19:24 - Nov 16 with 1281 viewssohamblue74

The Wall museum at Checkpoint Charlie is a must. I've been twice. Truly fascinating.

https://www.mauermuseum.de/en/about-us/
Berlin! on 19:30 - Nov 16 with 1264 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Berlin! on 18:53 - Nov 16 by eastangliaisblue

Bloody love a wheat beer.

You animal!

Berlin! on 19:33 - Nov 16 with 1257 viewsEiffel78

Oh, and as it's December, the Christmas markets are a must. The times I was there, the best ones were on Alexanderplatz (where you should go up the TV Tower for the best views of the city), Potsdammerplatz and in Spandau (again, it's on the U- or S-bahn).
Berlin! on 19:39 - Nov 16 with 1244 viewsnodge_blue

Check point Charlie museum

We also went on a Sunday to some huge outdoor kareoke which was weird

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Berlin! on 19:45 - Nov 16 with 1228 viewsloftboy

Berlin! on 19:33 - Nov 16 by Eiffel78

Oh, and as it's December, the Christmas markets are a must. The times I was there, the best ones were on Alexanderplatz (where you should go up the TV Tower for the best views of the city), Potsdammerplatz and in Spandau (again, it's on the U- or S-bahn).

My mother in law comes from Berlin, usually go every Christmas ( well we did pre-covid). We don’t stay central but in a small suburb in Spandau, the local restaurants are superb.
Done most of the Christmas markets, 2 or 3 euros for a Bratwurst in a bun with sauerkraut compared to the £5 plus the London markets sell it for.
Last time we went the weather was good so me and mrs did the touristy thing and got the open topped bus tour around the city which is great.
Took the U Bahn to the east to see the remains of the wall, some great murals on there.
Lots of shopping malls for the mrs to enjoy and obviously some excellent bars and Bierkellers .
As a down point I understand Tiegal airport has is closed and the new one is having a few teething problems, can’t vouch for that though.
Edited to add that check point Charlie is a waste of time, actors pretending to be guards stamping fake passports.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 19:48]
Berlin! on 19:51 - Nov 16 with 1209 viewsjontysnut

As Tony Hancock put it in the Blood Donor

"I remember Von Rundstedt's last push. Tiger Harrison and me, being in a forward position, were cut off behind enemy lines. Captain Harrison, I said. Yes sir, he said. Where shall we head for? Berlin, he said. Right, I said, last one in the Reichstag is a sissy!"
Berlin! on 19:57 - Nov 16 with 1084 viewsLord_Lucan

One of my favourite cities in the world.

My only real advice is to stay in the former East, make time for the Checkpoint Charlie**** museum thing, go on the lash down and around Oranienburger Strasse and have a nice home cooked German meal in a family run traditional pub called Treffpunkt on Mittelstasse which is just round the corner from Unter den Linden

You have missed Tachelles by quite a few years - which you would have liked.

****Oh, and tell the fake soldier in the French uniform that the bloody French weren't anywhere near that checkpoint.
[Post edited 16 Nov 2021 20:06]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024