Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win 22:41 - Nov 16 with 2984 viewsMullet

But that was not a very good game of football.

All in all it probably worked out, there were some rum tackles flying in and Burns copped one in the back of the calf that looked bad. Piggot had a tug in the box but came up short with his penalty appeals. Apart from that we threatened to as much damage to ourselves as them at times.

Walton and Aluko had very good games. The keeper made more than one good stop, and the two centre backs swept up a lot when our opulent passing seemed to hem us in a bit and hoofs didn’t always make it. Likewise we’d pass to the shadow of a runner and get turned over in important areas too often.

I really like Harper but he stunk as neither a 10 or an 8 tonight. Having Fraser and El Miz as the two just didn’t work beyond the individual talent of all three. Piggott was isolated far too often and it was only him going out wide to get on the ball they we forced they first goal.

We had some really good individuals out there but were a tad lucky to go in at half time level. The ref was a tad inconsistent but we definitely stepped it up a gear in the second half. Whatever Cook or Reid said at half time had an impact. Runs were better and ambitious balls weren’t so wasteful.

The subs seemed about getting minutes in legs and if we got a result so be it. Seeing Jackson on wax very odd. Likewise, to take Woolf off over the fridge was a bold call.

The winner was lovely though. We all shouted “shoot” as us customary and he seemed to get enough lift and slice to totally bamboozle the keeper and put it across his body into the inside of the post. It was the best thing Idris has done all night and a goal to saviour.

I really felt for Latics fans leaving the ground. They really are suffering and Boundary Park is a decent stadium for this level, let alone the league below and likely non league soon. Hopefully getting the result and a few players polished up into the way Cook wants them to play us the big win tonight.

We’ve got a lot of important games to win this next few weeks and will need all the players pulling in the right direction and taking their chances.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 22:51 - Nov 16 with 2316 viewsbrazil1982

Can't argue with your summary - poor performance, brilliant winner.
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 23:07 - Nov 16 with 2269 viewsIllinoisblue

What’s weird - and this isn’t meant as a dig at Cook, merely a reflection of the fact we’re a work in progress - but it’s just 2 defeats in 15 now yet it doesn’t really feel like it. The form book says we’re improving, and it’s clearly better than the first few weeks of the season, but still hard to say we’ve really clicked or gelled yet.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 23:43 - Nov 16 with 2177 viewsunstableblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 23:07 - Nov 16 by Illinoisblue

What’s weird - and this isn’t meant as a dig at Cook, merely a reflection of the fact we’re a work in progress - but it’s just 2 defeats in 15 now yet it doesn’t really feel like it. The form book says we’re improving, and it’s clearly better than the first few weeks of the season, but still hard to say we’ve really clicked or gelled yet.

I’m supportive of Cook and giving him and the project the patience it deserves, but the Oxford and Oldham home games have brought the old niggling doubts that I had under all under Marcus’ managers - in that we didn’t look very technical/tactical/progressive, I thought Oxford for much of the first half and Oldham for spells at Portman road just looked to have the better shape, movement and interplay and town have looked a bit one dimensional

Thank god I witnessed the Wycombe away performance!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 23:48 - Nov 16 with 2145 viewsbackwaywhen

That is a great summary of where we are currently, , does anyone think Cook is slightly lacking in tactics / nouse and is struggling to move this squad onto the next level ie players positions and formations .
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:50 - Nov 17 with 1857 viewsGlasgowBlue

Piggot had a tug in the box.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:55 - Nov 17 with 1844 viewsSteve_M

I used the phrase 'stumbling through the season' last night and that's still what we're doing at the moment. We haven't yet won enough matches to turn a run without many defeats into a momentum building one: six league wins from 17 includes three good away wins but the only ones at home were against teams at the bottom of the table.

Having the best of matches like Saturday is one thing but we aren't consistently dominating the poorer teams we play, the poor start to the season means we need wins to close the gap at the top.

I think four points from the next two league matches would certainly help make things feel a bit better.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 8:20]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:56 - Nov 17 with 1828 viewsVic

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 23:43 - Nov 16 by unstableblue

I’m supportive of Cook and giving him and the project the patience it deserves, but the Oxford and Oldham home games have brought the old niggling doubts that I had under all under Marcus’ managers - in that we didn’t look very technical/tactical/progressive, I thought Oxford for much of the first half and Oldham for spells at Portman road just looked to have the better shape, movement and interplay and town have looked a bit one dimensional

Thank god I witnessed the Wycombe away performance!!

At the level we’re playing it’s almost inevitable that our opponents are going to have spells of control. You are aright that Oxford did look the better of the two teams for the first 30 mins on Saturday, but we got on top of them and for most of the other 60 we were better and they were playing for a draw.

I suspect last showed the reality of playing a number of the reserves - they are just not going to be able to slot into the first team and purr like a rolls royce.

I think we’re also seeing that the standard of football, right down to div 4 has improved considerably to 10 or so years ago. Then it was largely hoof ball, but many more teams seem to at least to attempt a passing game out from the back. Oldham for eg played some decent stuff at times last night.

Edit. PS - but I agree that it’s impossible yet to be confident of getting a result in every game! Maybe thats not because of our form but just that after so many years of decline we can’t bring ourselves to be optimistic yet!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 7:58]

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:58 - Nov 17 with 1816 viewsOsborneOneNil

I think it’s clear to see the ‘goals against’ column has been much improved of late, and that has coincided with the run of 2 defeats in 15. We all moaned at the amount of goals we were shipping, they’ve worked on that, it seems.

Work in progress.

Next stage is better fluidity, with the tighter defence.
Login to get fewer ads

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:03 - Nov 17 with 1785 viewsGuthrum

We are Ipswich Town fans.

So used, over recent seasons, to disappointment, false dawns and everything turning to ashes.

But, at the same time, brought up on a history which says success is being one of the dominant teams in the entire country.

Caught between exceedingly high standards and an expectation they will not be achieved. A genuine, lasting feeling of positivity is beyond our reach.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:42 - Nov 17 with 1690 viewsunstableblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:56 - Nov 17 by Vic

At the level we’re playing it’s almost inevitable that our opponents are going to have spells of control. You are aright that Oxford did look the better of the two teams for the first 30 mins on Saturday, but we got on top of them and for most of the other 60 we were better and they were playing for a draw.

I suspect last showed the reality of playing a number of the reserves - they are just not going to be able to slot into the first team and purr like a rolls royce.

I think we’re also seeing that the standard of football, right down to div 4 has improved considerably to 10 or so years ago. Then it was largely hoof ball, but many more teams seem to at least to attempt a passing game out from the back. Oldham for eg played some decent stuff at times last night.

Edit. PS - but I agree that it’s impossible yet to be confident of getting a result in every game! Maybe thats not because of our form but just that after so many years of decline we can’t bring ourselves to be optimistic yet!
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 7:58]

Good reply.

I think one point you make and I really agree… is that there is quality right through the football league.

The silly ‘this league is rubbish and we have a divine right to be top of this league’ noise seems to have abated. And for me League One feels a higher standard this season. There really are no easy games or guaranteed 3 points. You have to turn up for every game.

I just don’t think we’re the finished article yet in terms of selection and embedded system, and we don’t consistently bring more energy and press than the opposition. We know we can do it. Does need to start soon.

As for League Two - think of Colchester, a failing League some side but on paper packed through of quality. If a little aged.

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:42 - Nov 17 with 1689 viewsChrisd

It might not have been a great performance, but the bottomline is we found a way to get over the line and win the game. Imagine the moaning if we had lost? Personally, I’m pleased we are still involved in the FA Cup instead of treating it with contempt which we have in the past. Take the win and let’s get back to league action on Saturday and a huge game at Sunderland. I’d take another scrappy win up there too!

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:56 - Nov 17 with 1643 viewstimothyeo

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:42 - Nov 17 by unstableblue

Good reply.

I think one point you make and I really agree… is that there is quality right through the football league.

The silly ‘this league is rubbish and we have a divine right to be top of this league’ noise seems to have abated. And for me League One feels a higher standard this season. There really are no easy games or guaranteed 3 points. You have to turn up for every game.

I just don’t think we’re the finished article yet in terms of selection and embedded system, and we don’t consistently bring more energy and press than the opposition. We know we can do it. Does need to start soon.

As for League Two - think of Colchester, a failing League some side but on paper packed through of quality. If a little aged.

I don't really agree with this really. The standard of football in our division is absolutely awful. It's just that whilst you're in it you don't realise because naturally, our team is at that level too.

Just take the bottom half of the Championship and watch a Reading, Preston, Sheffield, Bristol or whatever - it's on a completely different level in pretty much every aspect. For me, it's the gaps between League One - Championship and Championship - Premier League that have grown the most
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:36 - Nov 17 with 1564 viewsCrawfordsboot

Having moved back to the Uk last year from Switzerland and living now near Manchester I have not seen much of town other than watching games on TV. Largely MM era stuff, which was not pretty.

Last night I got to see the Oldham game :)

Oldham started like an express train throwing bodies forward getting six or seven into our box at times. Town fielding seven changes in the side took quite a while to get going and much of the first half was scrappy however we settled and played the better football as the game moved on. Second half we moved the ball well and I thought we played some good football. Our central defence looked solid. The Oldham centre forward was putting himself about and it seemed a sensible move to take Woolfie off after he had been booked and might have picked up a second yellow. Both Aluko and Edwards when he came on looked very sharp. Young Clemente looked a bit raw early on and got caught out of position a few times but settled down and looks a good prospect.

We finished comfortably in control, with Oldham chasing shadows though we lacked a goal threat up front. The winner from midfield was a great strike.

All in all I was encouraged by what I saw though we need better quality backup up front.
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:42 - Nov 17 with 1525 viewsHerbivore

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:42 - Nov 17 by unstableblue

Good reply.

Nobody has ever said we have a divine right to finish top, however the league is rubbish, imo. Some of the football I've witnessed at this level is utter dross, often from the supposedly better sides too. That it's competitive does not mean that the standard is high.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:44 - Nov 17 with 1519 viewsunstableblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:56 - Nov 17 by timothyeo

I don't really agree with this really. The standard of football in our division is absolutely awful. It's just that whilst you're in it you don't realise because naturally, our team is at that level too.

Just take the bottom half of the Championship and watch a Reading, Preston, Sheffield, Bristol or whatever - it's on a completely different level in pretty much every aspect. For me, it's the gaps between League One - Championship and Championship - Premier League that have grown the most

'absolutely awful'

Just can't see that myself, but didn't opinions and all that.

Of the games I've seen, and I've seen most, in the games themselves I thought Oxford, Bolton, Fleetwood, MK Dons played some really good football for periods of the games - good movement, passing, shape.... and Wycombe and Sheffield Weds had 20mins spells of good effective football. The only team I thought looked truly poor were Portsmouth. The obviously the likes of Cheltenham went physical and long with us to great effect.

I just don't see it as an awful league, not even close, thought Oxford's press, passing and interplay for 30mins on saturday was Championship level and we couldn't get near them.

What do you thin is awful about it?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:46 - Nov 17 with 1503 viewsunstableblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:42 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

Nobody has ever said we have a divine right to finish top, however the league is rubbish, imo. Some of the football I've witnessed at this level is utter dross, often from the supposedly better sides too. That it's competitive does not mean that the standard is high.

Plenty of people have said 'this league is sh!t and with this squad we should walk it' I could trawl through and find them if you like Herby?

Which particular teams and games have the opposition looked rubbish? i'll give you Pompey, possibly Burton at times

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:54 - Nov 17 with 1490 viewsitfcjoe

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 07:55 - Nov 17 by Steve_M

I used the phrase 'stumbling through the season' last night and that's still what we're doing at the moment. We haven't yet won enough matches to turn a run without many defeats into a momentum building one: six league wins from 17 includes three good away wins but the only ones at home were against teams at the bottom of the table.

Having the best of matches like Saturday is one thing but we aren't consistently dominating the poorer teams we play, the poor start to the season means we need wins to close the gap at the top.

I think four points from the next two league matches would certainly help make things feel a bit better.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 8:20]

I had a look at everyone's favorite - the xG charts of our season - and the trend we are on shows that a corner has massively turned and the trend lines show it excellently.

Our attacking output has increased slightly, but our defensive one has decreased hugely - the difference between them is going in the right direction and we look a team that knows what it is now.

I think the big victories are going to be few and far between, we'll just win lots of games by the odd goal - as most teams do.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:54 - Nov 17 with 1485 viewsChrisd

No, but it is implied a lot on here. It also seems if we don't finish in the top 2 and gain promotion via the play offs we shouldn't bother going up, that's how ludicrous some of the posts are. It really doesn't matter how we go up as along as we do at some point. Look again at the Championship, the top two last season in L1 in Hull and Peterborough are both struggling near the foot of the Championship, while Blackpool have been hovering around the top 6 for most of the season.

*16% of 'ALL' clubs that have been promoted to the Championship from L1 have then got relegated the following season. (This was a stat from a couple of seasons ago)
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 12:30]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:56 - Nov 17 with 1477 viewsHerbivore

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:46 - Nov 17 by unstableblue

Plenty of people have said 'this league is sh!t and with this squad we should walk it' I could trawl through and find them if you like Herby?

Which particular teams and games have the opposition looked rubbish? i'll give you Pompey, possibly Burton at times

That's not the same as thinking we have a divine right, that's thinking the quality of our squad means we should be competetive. That's not the same thing.

I thought Wycombe looked pretty poor, especially in the context of them being a top 3 side at the time. Once their main tactic of pinging diagonal balls into the left back slot stopped working they looked clueless and just played for set pieces. Pompey were terrible. Donny likewise. Bolton thrashed us playing pretty basic stuff. Morecambe and Cheltenham both looked every bit League 2 sides playing above their level. Other games I've only seen highlights so can't glean so much from those, but that's a decent enough sample. I don't really see the league being massively better this year than in the past 2 years. Aside from us I don't see that many other sides have brought in players good enough for the level above. Wigan are in the top 2 with Will Keane banging them in ffs.

Whenever I catch a game in the Championship there's a clear gulf in quality between the two divisions and it's getting wider. That explains why two promoted sides came straight back down last season and two are struggling badly again. We need to get out of this league as quickly as we can and try to re-establish ourselves in the Championship before the gap widens further still.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 10:28 - Nov 17 with 1413 viewsDavoIPB

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:56 - Nov 17 by Herbivore

That's not the same as thinking we have a divine right, that's thinking the quality of our squad means we should be competetive. That's not the same thing.

I thought Wycombe looked pretty poor, especially in the context of them being a top 3 side at the time. Once their main tactic of pinging diagonal balls into the left back slot stopped working they looked clueless and just played for set pieces. Pompey were terrible. Donny likewise. Bolton thrashed us playing pretty basic stuff. Morecambe and Cheltenham both looked every bit League 2 sides playing above their level. Other games I've only seen highlights so can't glean so much from those, but that's a decent enough sample. I don't really see the league being massively better this year than in the past 2 years. Aside from us I don't see that many other sides have brought in players good enough for the level above. Wigan are in the top 2 with Will Keane banging them in ffs.

Whenever I catch a game in the Championship there's a clear gulf in quality between the two divisions and it's getting wider. That explains why two promoted sides came straight back down last season and two are struggling badly again. We need to get out of this league as quickly as we can and try to re-establish ourselves in the Championship before the gap widens further still.

Have to say the standard in this league is not as bad as I thought it would be. Having said that the football is really poor at times. The only team I have seen who have been of a good standard have been Oxford and actually fleetwood. How they are near the bottom I have no idea. Wycombe were very poor. Didn't have a clue how to contain us second half. Portsmouth were awful. So we relieve we didn't get the brothers! We should have thrashed Cambridge!

If you watch the highlights of other teams playing against each other in this league and then watch highlights of the championship you realise how rubbish league 1 is. You also realise how Ipswich have a lot of improving to do.

Having said that at times Ipswich's play is well above anything in this league. Morsy, Celina, Edmundson and Walton are good enough for the championship.
Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 11:08 - Nov 17 with 1331 viewsIllinoisblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 08:03 - Nov 17 by Guthrum

We are Ipswich Town fans.

So used, over recent seasons, to disappointment, false dawns and everything turning to ashes.

But, at the same time, brought up on a history which says success is being one of the dominant teams in the entire country.

Caught between exceedingly high standards and an expectation they will not be achieved. A genuine, lasting feeling of positivity is beyond our reach.

A lifetime of misery it is then! COYB

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 11:14 - Nov 17 with 1305 viewsGuthrum

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 11:08 - Nov 17 by Illinoisblue

A lifetime of misery it is then! COYB

I carefully didn't use the word "impossible". But it's going to take several seasons of work before we can be up where those high standards demand and the incessant fear of failure wears off

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Great insight thanks.... on 11:51 - Nov 17 with 1215 viewsunstableblue

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 09:36 - Nov 17 by Crawfordsboot

Having moved back to the Uk last year from Switzerland and living now near Manchester I have not seen much of town other than watching games on TV. Largely MM era stuff, which was not pretty.

Last night I got to see the Oldham game :)

Oldham started like an express train throwing bodies forward getting six or seven into our box at times. Town fielding seven changes in the side took quite a while to get going and much of the first half was scrappy however we settled and played the better football as the game moved on. Second half we moved the ball well and I thought we played some good football. Our central defence looked solid. The Oldham centre forward was putting himself about and it seemed a sensible move to take Woolfie off after he had been booked and might have picked up a second yellow. Both Aluko and Edwards when he came on looked very sharp. Young Clemente looked a bit raw early on and got caught out of position a few times but settled down and looks a good prospect.

We finished comfortably in control, with Oldham chasing shadows though we lacked a goal threat up front. The winner from midfield was a great strike.

All in all I was encouraged by what I saw though we need better quality backup up front.

... as posted earlier I do wonder if Clements will start Saturday in a big stadia, to play 90mins, not shining, perhaps not..

Donacien to move left, Burns or KVY right?

Yes at times this season when we've go the passing going its been a joy to watch, and we can hurt teams, BUT it needs to be more consistent and longer spells

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 16:35 - Nov 17 with 1026 viewsMullet

I don't think you can really put last night in much context of any sort of form guide. It was not only one of the worst games of football I've seen in ages, but it was a scratch side who probably haven't much time together.

There was little cohesion and you can't expect there to be much. We clearly were trying to play in a Cook model but didn't have the balance or understanding to make it stick. Nothing to worry about, as it all worked out in the end.

Sublime and ridiculous goals got the win on 16:38 - Nov 17 with 1006 viewsMullet

This constant revisionism and playing down targets is odd and pointless isn't it?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/members/Mullet/polls/3715/what-is-the-minimum-requirement

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024