Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD opinions sought 19:45 - Nov 17 with 2636 viewsLord_Lucan

Looking to buy a pod coffee machine thing for the office.

* Don't want to be tied down to a specific brand of pod

* Need to be able to make a strong cup of coffee in a decent size cup rather than those miniature small people type cups.

*Obviously must be able to produce coffee from a decent quality pod - is it possible to have option of flat white, expresso cappuccino etc - or is that down to getting those milk frother things?

*Don't want to spend more than £100

Advice appreciated.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

TWTD opinions sought on 19:52 - Nov 17 with 2082 viewsFixed_It

You drink coffee?!?!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

TWTD opinions sought on 20:02 - Nov 17 with 2069 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD opinions sought on 19:52 - Nov 17 by Fixed_It

You drink coffee?!?!

I mainly drink tea but purely because it's less hassle as I drink it black and I leave the tea bag in - so all I have to do is boil, pour and wait.

.........but if I had a robotic machine to make a decent coffee at an affordable price then I might have the odd cup of coffee now and again.

I like the option.

..........or are you being a smartarse?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

TWTD opinions sought on 20:02 - Nov 17 with 2067 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Is it just for you in the office or clients/staff?

Currys do a decent range of coffee makers. Worth checking out their website.

Just checked out ours, Tassimo by Bosch. Argos do a decent selection of them too within your price range.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 20:10]

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

TWTD opinions sought on 20:09 - Nov 17 with 2049 viewsWicklowBlue

TWTD opinions sought on 20:02 - Nov 17 by StochesStotasBlewe

Is it just for you in the office or clients/staff?

Currys do a decent range of coffee makers. Worth checking out their website.

Just checked out ours, Tassimo by Bosch. Argos do a decent selection of them too within your price range.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 20:10]

This, some great Black Friday offers out there! I am not a tea or coffee drinker which has ostracised me from Irish society in general.

However my better half loves her coffee and after several small coffee machines over the years I hit gold with a Dolce Gusto one 2 years ago. Still used several times a day and going strong, different pods available from Costa, Nescafé, Starbucks etc.

That's all I can contribute as haven't a clue.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 20:58]
TWTD opinions sought on 20:20 - Nov 17 with 2001 viewsOldboy

Just make it y
TWTD opinions sought on 20:21 - Nov 17 with 2004 viewsmylittletown

Nespresso is crap. Both the coffee and the machine. Must spend most of the budget on advertising.
Coffee expensive and largely average quality and the machine quite often doesn't puncture the very expensive capsules properly so you get a weak watery coffee.
Literally couldn't give mine away and ended up taking it to the dump.

Tbf the milk frother is very good, I kept that. We went back to using a cafetiere.
TWTD opinions sought on 20:35 - Nov 17 with 1961 viewsFather_Jack

I may be wrong but I thought the point of a pod machine is that it ties you to the pod of the same brand.

We've got a Lavazza one which is very good. But it only takes Lavazza pods.

Less is more.

TWTD opinions sought on 20:55 - Nov 17 with 1923 viewsEwan_Oozami

I think the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation do a nice coffee machine....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD opinions sought on 21:03 - Nov 17 with 1897 viewsFixed_It

TWTD opinions sought on 20:02 - Nov 17 by Lord_Lucan

I mainly drink tea but purely because it's less hassle as I drink it black and I leave the tea bag in - so all I have to do is boil, pour and wait.

.........but if I had a robotic machine to make a decent coffee at an affordable price then I might have the odd cup of coffee now and again.

I like the option.

..........or are you being a smartarse?

Guilty as charged!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

TWTD opinions sought on 21:09 - Nov 17 with 1868 viewsNthQldITFC

Is this something that uses a lot of little plastic or aluminium packages for the 'convenience' or 'neat idea-ness' of it? If so, my advice is don't buy one, or at least consider not buying one. I apologise if my response seems rude, it's not meant to be, but I don't open me gob often enough!

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

TWTD opinions sought on 21:25 - Nov 17 with 1846 viewsLord_Lucan

TWTD opinions sought on 21:03 - Nov 17 by Fixed_It

Guilty as charged!

I have decided on the over budget Illy Iperespresso X7.1 (Red version)

Mainly because it looks as cool as feck

I will however wait until the morning until purchasing as I have recently opened a bottle of plonk. This is the "Morning delay" Lucan Top Tip which has been operational since my last disastrous purchase whilst being on the vino tinto.
[Post edited 17 Nov 2021 21:28]

TWTD opinions sought on 21:26 - Nov 17 with 1839 viewsStirlingArcher

Nespresso Vertuo machine (big pods)

none of this powered milk crud you get in lavasso (or whatever they're called)

they do a range from lil puny cup to big mugs of coffee.

My personal is to have a dash of milk, a dash of syrup then hit go with my favourite odacio pod (blue and good mug size output)

don't listen to the haters - Nespresso is actually the d's b's for coffee outside of fresh ground bean
TWTD opinions sought on 22:01 - Nov 17 with 1795 viewsPlums

TWTD opinions sought on 21:26 - Nov 17 by StirlingArcher

My personal is to have a dash of milk, a dash of syrup then hit go with my favourite odacio pod (blue and good mug size output)

don't listen to the haters - Nespresso is actually the d's b's for coffee outside of fresh ground bean

I am in agreement with this.
Although I am still livid over the recent withdrawal of the Giornio pods.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

TWTD opinions sought on 22:18 - Nov 17 with 1768 viewscinnamonITFC

I’ve been in a lot of offices who have bought coffee machines (in a post that moves teams every 6months). Might be a bit late if you’ve decided already!

I’ve noticed a few things:
- Any office which has a pod machine - it is never used. It jut gathers dust. People don’t want to buy the pods themselves (expensive), and most offices won’t shell out the expense for lot of communal pods (get used up quick).
- The only offices that I’ve seen people use coffee regularly are when the beans/ground coffee is provided for them. This is one of the biggest things for office morale I think.
- Cafetières actually work really well.
- The one machines that I’ve seen that are used often are bean-to-cup ones that you can just push a button and get nice coffee. More expensive but IMO worth the extra expense (if you’re buying this machine with office Covid morale boosting money, obviously not if you’re buying it yourself!).
TWTD opinions sought on 07:19 - Nov 18 with 1631 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

TWTD opinions sought on 20:21 - Nov 17 by mylittletown

Nespresso is crap. Both the coffee and the machine. Must spend most of the budget on advertising.
Coffee expensive and largely average quality and the machine quite often doesn't puncture the very expensive capsules properly so you get a weak watery coffee.
Literally couldn't give mine away and ended up taking it to the dump.

Tbf the milk frother is very good, I kept that. We went back to using a cafetiere.

Not going to bother arguing on the coffee point (even if I do disagree), but you do realise Nespresso isn’t a machine per se? There are various machines made by various manufacturers (Krups, Magimix etc)

So basically the one you had may have been cr*p but that doesn’t mean all Nespresso machines are rubbish. Our Magimix one certainly works fine!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

TWTD opinions sought on 08:18 - Nov 18 with 1574 viewsTractorWood

TWTD opinions sought on 21:26 - Nov 17 by StirlingArcher

The vertuo was a game changer for me. Absolutely awesome.

I honestly have coffee out sometimes and if it's not made well it doesn't match up to vertuo.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2021 8:20]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

TWTD opinions sought on 09:11 - Nov 18 with 1528 viewsJ2BLUE

Avoid Tassimo.

Absolute crap.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

TWTD opinions sought on 09:34 - Nov 18 with 1500 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

TWTD opinions sought on 07:19 - Nov 18 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Not going to bother arguing on the coffee point (even if I do disagree), but you do realise Nespresso isn’t a machine per se? There are various machines made by various manufacturers (Krups, Magimix etc)

So basically the one you had may have been cr*p but that doesn’t mean all Nespresso machines are rubbish. Our Magimix one certainly works fine!

Another vote for Nespresso.

I use an earlier machine so get L'Or from Amazon for next to nothing - https://amzn.to/3Hxp7Ew
TWTD opinions sought on 09:40 - Nov 18 with 1480 viewshype313

Buy yourself a bean to cup machine, initial outlay is more expensive but you save so much more in the long term, also there are so many coffee roasters in the UK now and you can get some really nice coffee beans for not a huge price.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

TWTD opinions sought on 10:00 - Nov 18 with 1461 viewsfarkenhell

TWTD opinions sought on 09:40 - Nov 18 by hype313

Buy yourself a bean to cup machine, initial outlay is more expensive but you save so much more in the long term, also there are so many coffee roasters in the UK now and you can get some really nice coffee beans for not a huge price.

We bought a Delonghi reconditioned bean to cup over 10 years ago. Still going strong despite over-use every day. Cost about £250 from memory.

Quick, dead easy to use and a pack of beans (grade 5, very drinkable) from Aldi costs less than a couple of quid. The only other outlay we have is a new filter every 6 months or so - cost about £20 I think.

Our pod machine, which we bought before the bean to cup, is still in the box where it was plonked after we ran out of the batch of pods that came with the thing. When I close my eyes, I can still recall the bitter taste. A bit like Mrs F's hairspray!

Lucan - if you haven't yet bought and your budget will stretch to this sort of thing, I would strongly recommend. Choose a recognised make, it should last years and save you plenty over time.
TWTD opinions sought on 10:39 - Nov 18 with 1405 viewshype313

TWTD opinions sought on 10:00 - Nov 18 by farkenhell

We bought a Delonghi reconditioned bean to cup over 10 years ago. Still going strong despite over-use every day. Cost about £250 from memory.

Quick, dead easy to use and a pack of beans (grade 5, very drinkable) from Aldi costs less than a couple of quid. The only other outlay we have is a new filter every 6 months or so - cost about £20 I think.

Our pod machine, which we bought before the bean to cup, is still in the box where it was plonked after we ran out of the batch of pods that came with the thing. When I close my eyes, I can still recall the bitter taste. A bit like Mrs F's hairspray!

Lucan - if you haven't yet bought and your budget will stretch to this sort of thing, I would strongly recommend. Choose a recognised make, it should last years and save you plenty over time.

Yep, mine is delonghi and it has been a brilliant machine.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

TWTD opinions sought on 10:43 - Nov 18 with 1398 viewsHerbivore

TWTD opinions sought on 21:09 - Nov 17 by NthQldITFC

Is this something that uses a lot of little plastic or aluminium packages for the 'convenience' or 'neat idea-ness' of it? If so, my advice is don't buy one, or at least consider not buying one. I apologise if my response seems rude, it's not meant to be, but I don't open me gob often enough!

Was going to post similar. They create an insane amount of waste for what is, in my experience, not especially good coffee. It works out really expensive as well with the cost of the pods versus just buying actual coffee. Just get a cafetiere or some really good quality instant coffee. I hope these machines are a fad that quickly dies out.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2021 11:25]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

TWTD opinions sought on 10:58 - Nov 18 with 1364 viewsclive_baker

TWTD opinions sought on 21:09 - Nov 17 by NthQldITFC

It's obviously very difficult to quantify, but I did read a study once that concluded that instant coffee was, perhaps unsurprisingly, by far the most sustainable way of consuming coffee. The biggest impact on the planet occurs when growing the coffee - water, fertiliser, emissions etc, and instant uses much less bean per serving.

Can't say I've ever got into these pods. A perspex plastic 'tank' of 2 day old water sat on the back puts me off for a start. Not to mention the fact the coffee is no better than a decent instant one.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

TWTD opinions sought on 12:12 - Nov 18 with 1284 viewsSaleAway

TWTD opinions sought on 10:58 - Nov 18 by clive_baker

It's obviously very difficult to quantify, but I did read a study once that concluded that instant coffee was, perhaps unsurprisingly, by far the most sustainable way of consuming coffee. The biggest impact on the planet occurs when growing the coffee - water, fertiliser, emissions etc, and instant uses much less bean per serving.

Can't say I've ever got into these pods. A perspex plastic 'tank' of 2 day old water sat on the back puts me off for a start. Not to mention the fact the coffee is no better than a decent instant one.

out of interest - how is 2 day old water from a perspex tank worse than water that has been sat in a reservoir or water tank outside of your house? ( other than that it is closed off to sources of pollutants).

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

TWTD opinions sought on 12:38 - Nov 18 with 1251 viewsKingsCrossBlue

TWTD opinions sought on 10:43 - Nov 18 by Herbivore

Was going to post similar. They create an insane amount of waste for what is, in my experience, not especially good coffee. It works out really expensive as well with the cost of the pods versus just buying actual coffee. Just get a cafetiere or some really good quality instant coffee. I hope these machines are a fad that quickly dies out.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2021 11:25]

I've faffed about with every coffee making machine known to man, but always go back to a cafetiere for my morning pint of espresso.

The moka Italian stove top things are brilliant, but such a pain to set up
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024