Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Children In Need. 15:31 - Nov 19 with 2107 viewsBlueBadger

(Stolen from a mate of Mrs Badger).

Tonight when you watch Children in Need please remember that, all being well, and sometimes against all odds those disabled kids you see could grow up to be...disabled adults.
The shock of turning 18 when you're disabled is huge,
1) you're suddenly can't access a lot of healthcare, no more special clinic with all the facilities it needs to treat you, you're just a regular out patient now
2) And this is the one people can help with. When you TRY to do something under 18 you're "inspirational" or "doing your best" or just "A Great Kid", for example, being in goal and trying to play football.
As an adult the MOMENT you show any activity that isn't work you're a benefit cheat (whether you're on benefits or not) and "faking it" and "the worst kind of scum". I've had abuse yelled at me for doing the exact same thing I got praise for as a kid. Yes I can, on good days do somethings, but OMG I'll be paying for it the next day, week, month, lifetime (ask those who knew me at the time about the difference in me before and after China).
So if Children in Need gives you the warm fuzzies then PLEASE I implore you to treat disabled adults with the same compassion and above all else, UNDERSTANDING

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Children In Need. on 00:42 - Nov 20 with 1538 viewsRyorry

[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 0:44]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Children In Need. on 02:34 - Nov 20 with 1517 viewsXYZ

Children in need's been going for how long?

Children are still in need. Malnutrition is now a "big thing" with UK' children.

Let's face it this charade is just a UK middle-class conscious-salving exercise.

If people really cared they'd vote for policies that removed poverty from a supposed top-10 global economy.

If a top-10 global economy has such poverty and malnutrition and people don't reject the system that delivers it then be honest about what you're supporting.
Children In Need. on 07:09 - Nov 20 with 1452 viewsHerbivore

Everyone can do their bit for children in need by not voting for the Tories.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Children In Need. on 07:19 - Nov 20 with 1435 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 07:09 - Nov 20 by Herbivore

Yeah but all politicians...

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Children In Need. on 07:23 - Nov 20 with 1421 viewsEly_Blue

Children In Need. on 07:09 - Nov 20 by Herbivore

Did children in need not run between 1997-2010?

Just asking for a friend1

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Children In Need. on 07:48 - Nov 20 with 1384 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 07:23 - Nov 20 by Ely_Blue

Genuine question. Was child poverty as prevalent back then as it is today?

Children In Need. on 08:23 - Nov 20 with 1323 viewsSteve_M

Children In Need. on 02:34 - Nov 20 by XYZ

Children in need's been going for how long?

Children are still in need. Malnutrition is now a "big thing" with UK' children.

Let's face it this charade is just a UK middle-class conscious-salving exercise.

If people really cared they'd vote for policies that removed poverty from a supposed top-10 global economy.

If a top-10 global economy has such poverty and malnutrition and people don't reject the system that delivers it then be honest about what you're supporting.

Yep, a mere £20m or £30m raised is a tiny drop in the UK's spending. It no doubt helps some charities but I always felt that it was the fading stars who benefitted most.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Children In Need. on 10:08 - Nov 20 with 1222 viewsMookamoo

I help with a charity that (used to be) funded by Children in Need for 5-18 year olds. We did extend our service up to 25 when the EHC plans came in. It lasted 2 years before we had to contract down to 5-18 again. Post 18 years is minefield and we simply could't support our young people through the services they now needed, either because they're deliberately difficult to access (PIP etc) or are just simply not available. Once you're out of education, there is no much missing.

We unfortunately lost our CiN funding (again - we also lost it in 2008) at the beginning of the pandemic (most small charities that were at the end of the 3 year funding cycle did) and it doesn't look promising going forward.

To echo Herbivore's point about not voting tory, post 2008 austerity has made our lives so much more difficult. We were told reason we lost CiN funding is there is not the money to go around. Loads of services that were previously funded by local authority or the CCGs are now in our funding streams. For example, a friend of mine runs a service that offers counselling to recently bereaved children. They used to be funded by their county council until the service was cut. They are now CiN funded. These services are removed from the responsibility of local government/NHS becuase they don't have the money to fund critical care, let alone anything else. They have to survive using charity money, which pushes other small charities that need support from funders such as CiN to extinction.

In 2008 Suffolk County Council went through process of divestment and sold off loads of their community spaces, including the building we used. We now have to pay 250% more in rent. Plus loads of the services that used to help us support our young people are gone through lack of funding - Autism Suffolk, HOPs, County Inclusive Resource, Optua etc. It is all now hand to mouth funding bids and very little additional support which we can signpost people to.

I must say a big shout out to a Suffolk charity (and town fan) who stepped in to pay our rent for a year to allow us to survive - AJ's Legacy http://ajslegacy.co.uk/AJ/
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 10:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Children In Need. on 10:27 - Nov 20 with 1190 viewsghostofescobar

Children In Need. on 07:23 - Nov 20 by Ely_Blue

In the capitalist, selfish society we live in, unfortunately Children in Need will always be required. But from 97 to 2010, well over a million children were taken out of absolute poverty. There were also 50,000 teachers and 200,000 support staff put into schools in the same period. The poorest families also gained 13% in income in that period.

The Tory government abolished the Child Poverty Act in 2016, which included abolishing the previously enshrined in law targets to reduce poverty and measure poverty based on family income. The government is now required only to report to parliament on the number of children living in workless households, and educational outcomes at GCSE level. After much outcry and campaigning, the government reluctantly agreed to commit in law to regularly publishing data on the number of children in poverty.

This government’s own figures show that relative child poverty increased by 600,000 between 2011/12 and 2018/19. Child poverty in the uk is predicted to rise from 4.2mill in 2019 to 5.2mill by 2022.

By most measures, the Tory government have hit the poor over the past decade, with children badly impacted. But I guess the UK public like that, as they keep getting voted in.

GhostOfEscobar

Children In Need. on 10:33 - Nov 20 with 1138 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Can you pass on my up-arrow to mate of Mrs Badger, thanks.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Children In Need. on 10:35 - Nov 20 with 1161 viewschicoazul

Children in need of a good smack if you ask me.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Children In Need. on 10:37 - Nov 20 with 1156 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 07:48 - Nov 20 by noggin

Genuine question. Was child poverty as prevalent back then as it is today?

Brown had years as chancellor and PM and still left millions of children in poverty when he left power. More or less the same % as today I believe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Children In Need. on 10:46 - Nov 20 with 1122 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 10:37 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Brown had years as chancellor and PM and still left millions of children in poverty when he left power. More or less the same % as today I believe.

You believe?

Children In Need. on 11:02 - Nov 20 with 1081 viewsEwan_Oozami

Same percentage of what?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Children In Need. on 11:20 - Nov 20 with 1042 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 10:46 - Nov 20 by noggin

You believe?

Is what I said yes.

Children In Need. on 11:20 - Nov 20 with 1035 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 11:02 - Nov 20 by Ewan_Oozami

Same percentage of what?

Of the overall number of children.

Children In Need. on 11:23 - Nov 20 with 1027 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 11:20 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Is what I said yes.

Why do you believe that?

Children In Need. on 11:25 - Nov 20 with 1018 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 11:23 - Nov 20 by noggin

Why do you believe that?

Because I vaguely remember this being the case, what a weird question.

Children In Need. on 11:27 - Nov 20 with 1011 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 11:25 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Because I vaguely remember this being the case, what a weird question.

Not really, I was hoping you could supply the stats.

Children In Need. on 11:32 - Nov 20 with 996 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 11:27 - Nov 20 by noggin

Not really, I was hoping you could supply the stats.

Then I wouldn’t be using the verb “believe” would I.

Children In Need. on 11:36 - Nov 20 with 973 viewsnoggin

Children In Need. on 11:32 - Nov 20 by chicoazul

Then I wouldn’t be using the verb “believe” would I.

So your input was a waste of time.

Children In Need. on 11:40 - Nov 20 with 952 viewschicoazul

Children In Need. on 11:36 - Nov 20 by noggin

So your input was a waste of time.

No more or less than your earlier question about child poverty. All of this stuff is easily researched. Sorry you struggle with the English language though.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2021 11:40]

Children In Need. on 11:41 - Nov 20 with 945 viewsnodge_blue

Great post. id vouch for that.

My son who is now 21 has autism and its like he dropped off the radar when he left education. His special needs educational statement became a joke in the end. There is no transition plan or support into adult life.

He gets a PIP payment - for which he and his mum had to be interviewed - but no real support from anyone expect me and his mum. I chose to stop work so that I can be with him most days and just be around to support him and help him.

He does one evening a week at the royal mail sorting office, but the effort it takes him to get his head together to do that is huge. he has to have his meal at a set time and an afternoon sleep as a kind of prep to do it. Its like it takes him a huge effort to get in that mindset for an evening. But it gives him a sense of purpose. Im worried that this interview process may deem that as he could work. But I know he's a million miles off being able to function like that.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Children In Need. on 13:00 - Nov 20 with 877 viewsHerbivore

No, that's not the case.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Children In Need. on 13:16 - Nov 20 with 853 viewsghostofescobar

See my previous post, with some numbers in it. Basically, the past decade has seen child poverty return to the figures seen when Labour came to power in 97: all the gains made by Labour have been wiped out.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024