Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland 00:32 - Nov 21 with 3271 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Not going to write a full match report but here goes:

Sunderland matched us man for man from the kick off with the same 4-2-3-1 formation.

The first ten minutes it looked like it was going to be a pretty even game with both teams getting down the wings quickly. I’m not too sure why Edwards started not only has he been a poor performer recently but he thrives in games where he is going to have a lot of time on the ball and this wasn’t going to be one of them, going to the stadium of light etc. He had a lot of flair going forward but likes to take two many touches and this allowed Sunderland to close him down. Should have started Chaplin but the result wasn’t all down to him.

Aluko was getting a lot of joy on the right by contrast he’s been a quality signing.

Fridge solid defensively tried lots of step overs at the back and a lot of them came off good to
See him playing with the Sunderland attackers.

Walton was at fault for the first goal but he’s saved us at other times this season. He likes to get the ball forward quickly from the goal kick but with one upfront there aren’t usually too many options.

Talking about upfront other than a shot in the first half following up from Celina. Bonne was pretty anonymous but again due to lack of service at the feet more than anything. Pigott could start on Tuesday but it would be harsh.

Sunderland definitely didn’t deserve any more than a point but having defended so resolutely for 85 minutes, we threw the game a away at the end. Game management again is our Achilles heel but with 2 games in hand and in 6th Spot Sunderland are the benchmark for us and we’ve got a chance to put it right quickly on 18th December.

Roll on Tuesday COYB

Poll: Final points total?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 00:34 - Nov 21 with 3240 viewsMrTown

Why roll on Tuesday?

Rotherham will stroll through us.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 00:36 - Nov 21 with 3238 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 00:34 - Nov 21 by MrTown

Why roll on Tuesday?

Rotherham will stroll through us.

Negative people need drama like oxygen, stay positive it will take their breath away…

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 06:40 - Nov 21 with 2902 viewsChrisd

That’s the frustrating thing with us, when we are on top of a side we rarely take our chances it’s happened quite often this season and that’s always my biggest fear. As a Town fan, you just knew what was going to happen if we didn’t convert any of those chances in the first half. Agree about Walton, not convinced he needed to come for the corner and into traffic with his own defenders, but what I do like is the fact he is willing to come for those crosses as he has shown he has the confidence to normally claim them. There’s no doubt we deserved something from the game, but we need to start converting chances when in the ascendency and especially against the so called better sides in this league or show that resilience that we aren’t going to concede when the game becomes tight. Tuesday night, against Rotherham, will be another big test and a physical one, for me Rotherham and Wigan are looking like the top 2 this season, but hoping we can put in a convincing display ala Wycombe away to restore a bit of faith.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 07:23 - Nov 21 with 2803 viewsMrTown

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 00:36 - Nov 21 by TractorBoyOlly

Negative people need drama like oxygen, stay positive it will take their breath away…

Inspirational quote

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 07:46 - Nov 21 with 2731 viewsdickie

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 07:23 - Nov 21 by MrTown

Inspirational quote

Sarcastic response
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:15 - Nov 21 with 2604 viewsOldboy

I to was there yesterday and see it pretty much the same. We were on top first half and had we taken our chances, I think we would have won 1-3. We never and Sunderland fully deserve the 3 points. They are a good well organised side who will no doubt be there or thereabouts come the shakeup.
On the plus side, Aluko was excellent and Eddy is turning into an excellent CB. Think we should have rested Clement, 1 game to far for him at this stage of his development.
We were ok without being spectacular and on another day win that one quite easily.
Still think top 6 is a reality, however, not a given.
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:18 - Nov 21 with 2578 viewsitfcjoe

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:15 - Nov 21 by Oldboy

I to was there yesterday and see it pretty much the same. We were on top first half and had we taken our chances, I think we would have won 1-3. We never and Sunderland fully deserve the 3 points. They are a good well organised side who will no doubt be there or thereabouts come the shakeup.
On the plus side, Aluko was excellent and Eddy is turning into an excellent CB. Think we should have rested Clement, 1 game to far for him at this stage of his development.
We were ok without being spectacular and on another day win that one quite easily.
Still think top 6 is a reality, however, not a given.

We had 3 chances, we can’t be expected to score every single one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:24 - Nov 21 with 2544 viewsOldboy

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:18 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

I think had we taken the lead then more would have followed. It would have been a totally different game. We never of course, so we got what we got. I think we played alright, but Sunderland were better organised and arguably deserved to win. There were more positives than negatives for me.
Login to get fewer ads

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:37 - Nov 21 with 2474 viewsChrisd

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:18 - Nov 21 by itfcjoe

Goals breed confidence, get one then it’s likely more could have followed. We should’ve taken at least one of those 3 during the first half. Also, it’s the impact a goal would have had on Sunderland they had been on a poor run going into the game yesterday and a team under a lot of pressure, if we’d gone ahead their confidence would have suffered and their fans would’ve been on their backs. Small margins - Shoulda, woulda and coulda.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 8:39]

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:41 - Nov 21 with 2434 viewsmattrolow

Interesting to see the people think Sunderland are the benchmark because I personally thought they were pretty poor.

We cut them open so many times but lacked that final ball or that bit of creativity.

They didn’t threaten at all which makes the goal even worse to take, Walton’s fault but we lose the man at the back post too so not all on him.

Still think there’s plenty of positives to take, genuinely thought we played really well in every aspect other than the most important part in the final third!

Definitely no need to panic like some are.
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:00 - Nov 21 with 2344 viewsWickets

Some of our problems yesterday arose because of the lack of a wing back both Donacian and Clements are good defensive players but not so going forward . In PC's system we really need KVY and Coulsen/Penny bombing forward and getting crosses in to be at our best . Bonne got no service .
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:24 - Nov 21 with 2251 viewsSuperCoops

Am I the only one who thought Edwards had a good game?
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:30 - Nov 21 with 2215 viewsWeWereZombies

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 06:40 - Nov 21 by Chrisd

That’s the frustrating thing with us, when we are on top of a side we rarely take our chances it’s happened quite often this season and that’s always my biggest fear. As a Town fan, you just knew what was going to happen if we didn’t convert any of those chances in the first half. Agree about Walton, not convinced he needed to come for the corner and into traffic with his own defenders, but what I do like is the fact he is willing to come for those crosses as he has shown he has the confidence to normally claim them. There’s no doubt we deserved something from the game, but we need to start converting chances when in the ascendency and especially against the so called better sides in this league or show that resilience that we aren’t going to concede when the game becomes tight. Tuesday night, against Rotherham, will be another big test and a physical one, for me Rotherham and Wigan are looking like the top 2 this season, but hoping we can put in a convincing display ala Wycombe away to restore a bit of faith.

It's possible to appear to be on top during a game, to have the bulk of possession and more corners etc. than the opposition without creating the space necessary to land the killer blows, to give the forwards time to compose themselves for accurate, powerful and unpredictable shots. From Joe's comment later in this thread and from Phil's match report it sounds like Sunderland limited us to not much more than half-chances, and we contained them...until the final ten minutes of the match (which is what they may have settled for.) Maybe what is needed to translate our obvious attacking threat into more goals, and goals that win tight matches rather than pile on runaway wins, is less dogmatic emphasis on pressing and a chosen formation in favour of the slightly more risky, but surely achievable given the depth of squad we have, allowing the opposition enough space, enough rope to hang themselves with, as we can then win balls deeper and pass forward creatively and with speed behind their numbers advancing to attack?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:40 - Nov 21 with 2168 viewsitfc_bucks

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:24 - Nov 21 by SuperCoops

He got into a lot of good positions, but with little end result. I'd have hooked him earlier.

I'd have also brought Aluko off, just slowed us down too often. We looked most threatening when getting at them directly and it just didn't happen enough.
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:55 - Nov 21 with 2087 viewsjayessess

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:24 - Nov 21 by SuperCoops

Yeah, I thought he was one of our more effective attacking players and we got worse when he went off. Got one cross badly wrong early on, but after that made generally good decisions and created one of our better chances.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 10:27 - Nov 21 with 2000 viewsArnieM

Tbf we probably only needed to score one of those in the first half and it would have been enough to win the game, we were in that much control !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 10:38 - Nov 21 with 1955 viewsclive_baker

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:40 - Nov 21 by itfc_bucks

He got into a lot of good positions, but with little end result. I'd have hooked him earlier.

I'd have also brought Aluko off, just slowed us down too often. We looked most threatening when getting at them directly and it just didn't happen enough.

No idea why he took off the 2 players with the pace and skill to get us up the pitch, while replacing them with 2 ball players. Seemed utterly ridiculous at the time and not a decision that aged well at all. Fraser isn’t a winger, if we’re going to play him he either needs to be in the #10 or arguably deeper (although I wouldn’t leave out Morsy or Evans). Then the Pig straight swap for Bonne was just desperation, felt like we had no ideas, no plan B.

I can’t help but feel there aren’t too many occasions where Cook has made interventions during the match that have benefitted us.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 10:43 - Nov 21 with 1940 viewsChrisd

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 09:30 - Nov 21 by WeWereZombies

It's possible to appear to be on top during a game, to have the bulk of possession and more corners etc. than the opposition without creating the space necessary to land the killer blows, to give the forwards time to compose themselves for accurate, powerful and unpredictable shots. From Joe's comment later in this thread and from Phil's match report it sounds like Sunderland limited us to not much more than half-chances, and we contained them...until the final ten minutes of the match (which is what they may have settled for.) Maybe what is needed to translate our obvious attacking threat into more goals, and goals that win tight matches rather than pile on runaway wins, is less dogmatic emphasis on pressing and a chosen formation in favour of the slightly more risky, but surely achievable given the depth of squad we have, allowing the opposition enough space, enough rope to hang themselves with, as we can then win balls deeper and pass forward creatively and with speed behind their numbers advancing to attack?

In all fairness, one of our efforts where he's hit it straight at the keeper (twice) from 6 yards out showed poor composure. Our players should be good enough to capitalise, they are professionals, who deal with being put under pressure regularly when an opportunity arises, they aren't you or me who needs a few extra touches or time to finish a chance. So, I don't necessarily agree with that.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 10:54]

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 11:31 - Nov 21 with 1818 viewsPinewoodblue

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:41 - Nov 21 by mattrolow

Interesting to see the people think Sunderland are the benchmark because I personally thought they were pretty poor.

We cut them open so many times but lacked that final ball or that bit of creativity.

They didn’t threaten at all which makes the goal even worse to take, Walton’s fault but we lose the man at the back post too so not all on him.

Still think there’s plenty of positives to take, genuinely thought we played really well in every aspect other than the most important part in the final third!

I believe it is reasonable to look at Sunderland as a benchmark. Finish above them and make the playoffs, or better, finish below and the chances are we play Accrington etc again next season.

You may not like their style but they have 21pts from eight home games. We have 7pts less from one more.

Had we taken just one of our first half chances the game would have opened up more and I suspect we would have gone on to a comfortable win.

We are in the enviable position where it isn’t obvious what our best starting eleven is. The majority of fans would have probably have selected the same eighteen but made at least one change from the starting eleven.

Is PC getting the best out of them, probably not, but Rotherham is now a more important fixture than it was 24 hours ago. We need to start closing the gap between us and the teams ahead of us and that will only happen if we start taking maximum points from them.

Points dropped against Plymouth, Oxford and Sunderland make the Rotherham game more important. We have to hope that PC is up to the task.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 12:00 - Nov 21 with 1773 viewsskinnybob72

Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 08:41 - Nov 21 by mattrolow

I thought Sunderland were a poor, poor side and they created absolutely nothing until they were gifted a goal at the corner. The 'penalty' didn't affect the outcome thankfully.

If Town had managed to get a goal I was confident that we would have won comfortably as Sunderland would have had to push more men forward and maybe leave some gaps to exploit.

Also thought they were a very cynical team, Edwards was cleaned out more than once with no attempt to win the ball.

My biggest frustration was that we very seldom shoot from distance when a chance presents itself, just more sideways or backwards passing. You never know, keeper might have a howler, it might get a kind deflection, it might hit a defender's arms.....

Yesterday was a lesson in how to lose a game you were never in any danger of losing!
Two pennies worth from someone who was actually at Sunderland on 15:58 - Nov 21 with 1429 viewsTractorBoyOlly

Benchmark because of their two games in hand which if they win would take them top. Still don’t think they are the best team in the league. Got to be a toss up between Plymouth and Rotherham at the moment but cook is right it is open this season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024