Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go 11:06 - Nov 21 with 11017 viewsN2_Blue

Signing a player like Chaplin and having him only play cameos in a side that has only one 6 games league games is criminal.

To be worse off at the same stage as last season with this squad is not good enough.

This isn't just on the back of Sunderland defeat which we didn't deserve but as a season overall it is so far short of where we need to be.

Again Cook failed in a game to change us to get a positive result. People say things have been getting better - 2 defeats in 15 before yesterday - but we don't string wins together and even the goals have completely dried up now.

It's just not good enough. Managers probably don't get enough time these days but stick with the wrong manager too long at a time we have our best chance ever of becoming upwardly mobile again could be disastrous. We cannot afford to be a mid league side and that's all we appear to be under Cook. The lack of consistency is alarming.

Fail to beat Rotherham on Tuesday and i think a significant proportion of the fan base will start to move towards Cook out just as we run in PackoutPR campaign of games.
Season is dangerously close to completely unravelling.

The last two months has done nothing for Town after the bad start, we are actually further away from the top, not closer! Very worrying.

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:12 - Nov 21 with 3227 viewsDarth_Koont

Are we further away from the top? Seems like we’ve kept the same distance but the top 6 is bunching.

We need to be closing more given our poor start but we’re not far off being one of the very best sides in the division or going on a good run. Especially if we can solve the conundrum of which attacking 3 to play behind Bonne that will give us that consistency.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:16 - Nov 21 with 3177 viewsKeaneish

It’s a terrible shout. When making these suggestions, maybe think about the bigger picture and the ramifications Cook leading would cause on that squad. Every single noise at this club is overwhelmingly positive with the exception of a few fans on forums the day after a defeat. No-one likes losing but a wholesale approach to trying to change it isn’t going to happen.

Maybe focus on what Cook and the squad could of and should have done better, that’s where the value is and the only thing likely to change. Cook is here for the foreseeable, end of.

I’d like to see him make a few changes to his approach. If he’s going to use Fraser from the bench and we weren’t getting enough joy out wide, the direct replacement was a bad shout in my view. When legs are tiring in the middle, the last thing a midfielder wants is a Fraser coming on with long deep, meandering runs to track. We need to mix it up a bit and we’re not doing that at the moment. We have the players but we need a little more versatility in approach coming off the bench. Cook makes subtle adjustments to his plan A; he doesn’t do a plan B. I’m OK with this as long as those Plan A adjustments offer a different dynamic.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:19 - Nov 21 with 3154 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:12 - Nov 21 by Darth_Koont

Are we further away from the top? Seems like we’ve kept the same distance but the top 6 is bunching.

We need to be closing more given our poor start but we’re not far off being one of the very best sides in the division or going on a good run. Especially if we can solve the conundrum of which attacking 3 to play behind Bonne that will give us that consistency.

Depends how games go, currently 10 points off Rotherham in 2nd but they have game in hand, plus wigan in 3rd have 2 games in hand.
Lose Tuesday and we're effectively 16 points off auto's. Whilst 10 away from top 6 but again games in hand so could be 13 away from even those too.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:19 - Nov 21 with 3165 viewsgazzer1999

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:16 - Nov 21 by Keaneish

It’s a terrible shout. When making these suggestions, maybe think about the bigger picture and the ramifications Cook leading would cause on that squad. Every single noise at this club is overwhelmingly positive with the exception of a few fans on forums the day after a defeat. No-one likes losing but a wholesale approach to trying to change it isn’t going to happen.

Maybe focus on what Cook and the squad could of and should have done better, that’s where the value is and the only thing likely to change. Cook is here for the foreseeable, end of.

I’d like to see him make a few changes to his approach. If he’s going to use Fraser from the bench and we weren’t getting enough joy out wide, the direct replacement was a bad shout in my view. When legs are tiring in the middle, the last thing a midfielder wants is a Fraser coming on with long deep, meandering runs to track. We need to mix it up a bit and we’re not doing that at the moment. We have the players but we need a little more versatility in approach coming off the bench. Cook makes subtle adjustments to his plan A; he doesn’t do a plan B. I’m OK with this as long as those Plan A adjustments offer a different dynamic.

He won't change, stubbornness is a problem.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:20 - Nov 21 with 3147 viewschrismakin

"’d like to see him make a few changes to his approach."

He won't thats the problem whether its now or next year.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 with 3141 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:19 - Nov 21 by gazzer1999

I don't think its Stubborness, maybe he simply doesn't know how to.

His whole management career has been 4 2 3 1, plan A. That's it.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 with 3151 viewsN2_Blue

yes i think we are, and whilst only the top 6 is now attainable this season it's pretty shocking that we are scrambling around trying to be consistent enough just to keep pace with the top 6.

We should be one of the best sides in the divisions with this group of players...but we are not, we are not even the 6th or 8th best side currently with this manager.

I know my post is going to get plenty of down votes but I really don't think Cook has shown anything remarkable in his tenure here. I think many managers with this group of players at their disposal would be achieving considerably more and that is the issue for me.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:22 - Nov 21 with 3140 viewsN2_Blue

yep too stubborn and too rigid in his set up/formation.

Login to get fewer ads

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:23 - Nov 21 with 3118 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

yes i think we are, and whilst only the top 6 is now attainable this season it's pretty shocking that we are scrambling around trying to be consistent enough just to keep pace with the top 6.

We should be one of the best sides in the divisions with this group of players...but we are not, we are not even the 6th or 8th best side currently with this manager.

I know my post is going to get plenty of down votes but I really don't think Cook has shown anything remarkable in his tenure here. I think many managers with this group of players at their disposal would be achieving considerably more and that is the issue for me.

Not forgetting that there are still clubs at the top of the table who can indeed make use of the jan window to make changes to give them further boosts going into the business end of the season.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:23 - Nov 21 with 3128 viewsHerbivore

The points gap to the top 2 is the same now as it was after 6 games but the difference is that several sides above us now have one or two games in hand, so effectively we have lost ground over what many fans gacw been hailing as an excellent run post Bolton. The reality is that the form we've shown post Bolton, if maintained over our remaining fixtures, isn't good enough to make the top 6.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:27 - Nov 21 with 3103 viewsN2_Blue

I agree that I'd like to see him make the changes you suggest, but he won't, that is the problem. He also doesn't seem able to utilise his squad and bench during games to any meaningful effect.

The feel good fact around the club is great but it won't last very long if we don't pick up and i don't see it with Cook. How can you say Cook is here for the foreseeable? Depends on what he does and i'm not very hopeful.

If we are 10th In February there is no way Ashton and co won't take action and rightly so.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:28 - Nov 21 with 3085 viewsDarth_Koont

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:21 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

You’re right. Looking at the last 12 games after Bolton we’re down on where we need to be.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/league-tables/competition:league-one/form/matches:12/type

But, I also think about the points we’ve left out there. Win yesterday as we really should have and that form table says we’re well on track. Plus we’re seemingly the only side in the top 10 that hasn’t gone on a run yet.

It isn’t good enough but I think while we’re not that far off where we need to be then Cook’s position is a moot point. And we have seen improvement from that poor start (results and performances) even if it’s slower than we’d like.

Pronouns: He/Him

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:29 - Nov 21 with 3064 viewsKeaneish

He’s had a tonne of success with this previously though and his philosophy of impressing and imposing our style on teams is a good one; it gives us an identity which we’ve been craving for years. The identity is a good one too.

Players with different abilities coming into the same system is also a good approach but I think we’re all in agreement, Fraser plays better as an 8. Chaplin plays better as a 10. Celina, arguably is better on the left and has better end product than Edwards. For me, if we make these tweaks, I’ve no doubt the fine tuning will add more to our game.

Playing Celina as the 10 has merit; we need our most potent players operating in the box or within the width of the goal and we’re seen Celina’s qualities here ie: Wycombe and Oxford so it’s a tough one to call and part of our Achilles heel - that and getting punished every time for every single mistake!

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:32 - Nov 21 with 3048 viewspointofblue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:27 - Nov 21 by N2_Blue

I agree that I'd like to see him make the changes you suggest, but he won't, that is the problem. He also doesn't seem able to utilise his squad and bench during games to any meaningful effect.

The feel good fact around the club is great but it won't last very long if we don't pick up and i don't see it with Cook. How can you say Cook is here for the foreseeable? Depends on what he does and i'm not very hopeful.

If we are 10th In February there is no way Ashton and co won't take action and rightly so.

February will be too late; if a change needs to be made we’ll be too far adrift from the play offs and with no transfer window for someone to come in and try and re-invigorate the squad.

This feels very much like 19/20 all over again - on New Year’s Day will there be an axe swinging, or swung, or could a five year contract be on the table?

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:33 - Nov 21 with 3047 viewsgordon

Not much to be gained from sacking Cook now, even though he's done very, very poorly last season and this. Still likely to be the best chance we've got of this group of players getting to the top six this season.

For me, if he doesn't make it, he has to go in the summer. The worst thing we could do is keep him on but with very little credit in the bank, letting him do another summer transfer window, but then sack him 5-10 games into the next season if we're similarly inconsistent and not getting the best out of our resources.

For me, the way he's using the front four players doesn't feel right - there's too many players, and so we're struggling to build consistency and trust etc. on the pitch. We'll have a different front four on Tuesday, which, while the obvious thing to do given the last result, probably won't help.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:33 - Nov 21 with 3041 viewsArnieM

Where were Blackpool this time last season ( with arguably an inferior squad of players ), and where did they finish up at the end of the season ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:36 - Nov 21 with 3016 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:33 - Nov 21 by ArnieM

Where were Blackpool this time last season ( with arguably an inferior squad of players ), and where did they finish up at the end of the season ?

By this time last year, Blackpool had won 5 out of 6 games by december 5th theyd won 8 out of 9

Also, they currently sit 10th in the champ after signing just 6 players, so there squad couldn't have been that bad....

we can't even get a run of 3 games going.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 11:39]

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:37 - Nov 21 with 3021 viewsN2_Blue

That's just desperation and hopefulness. How many times does that happen?
It also doesn't address the problem that Cook is underperfoming...Blackpool weren't expected to win promotion.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:40 - Nov 21 with 3007 viewsN2_Blue

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:23 - Nov 21 by Herbivore

The points gap to the top 2 is the same now as it was after 6 games but the difference is that several sides above us now have one or two games in hand, so effectively we have lost ground over what many fans gacw been hailing as an excellent run post Bolton. The reality is that the form we've shown post Bolton, if maintained over our remaining fixtures, isn't good enough to make the top 6.

exactly.

Many fans seem excited by our form and happy with Cook since Bolton. But as you say it wouldn't be good enough even for top 6 so basically fans are saying they are happy with us finishing outside the top 6.

Our form has not been that good, a lot of draws, no winning runs. See it for what it is, not what you hope it to be.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:41 - Nov 21 with 3000 viewsgordon

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:29 - Nov 21 by Keaneish

He’s had a tonne of success with this previously though and his philosophy of impressing and imposing our style on teams is a good one; it gives us an identity which we’ve been craving for years. The identity is a good one too.

Players with different abilities coming into the same system is also a good approach but I think we’re all in agreement, Fraser plays better as an 8. Chaplin plays better as a 10. Celina, arguably is better on the left and has better end product than Edwards. For me, if we make these tweaks, I’ve no doubt the fine tuning will add more to our game.

Playing Celina as the 10 has merit; we need our most potent players operating in the box or within the width of the goal and we’re seen Celina’s qualities here ie: Wycombe and Oxford so it’s a tough one to call and part of our Achilles heel - that and getting punished every time for every single mistake!

It all feels a bit incoherent to me - what positions did we sign Harper, Fraser, Chaplin and Celina to play? And what about Louie Barry? Sometimes it feels like we didn't know anything about these players before they arrived. Not necessarily Paul Cook's fault, though.

Not relevant because we'll never play like this, but think we'd be better in a more straightforward 4-3-3 with Fraser as part of that 3 (this would probably also benefit Harper and El Mizouni, who would be reserves for these 3 positions):

Evans Morsy Fraser
Aluko Bonne Celina
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:42 - Nov 21 with 2993 viewsHerbivore

Not sure in terms of position but after 18 games they were 3 points better off than we are now and on an excellent run of form, far better than the run we're on currently. And not many sides do what Blackpool did.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:43 - Nov 21 with 2977 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 11:41 - Nov 21 by gordon

It all feels a bit incoherent to me - what positions did we sign Harper, Fraser, Chaplin and Celina to play? And what about Louie Barry? Sometimes it feels like we didn't know anything about these players before they arrived. Not necessarily Paul Cook's fault, though.

Not relevant because we'll never play like this, but think we'd be better in a more straightforward 4-3-3 with Fraser as part of that 3 (this would probably also benefit Harper and El Mizouni, who would be reserves for these 3 positions):

Evans Morsy Fraser
Aluko Bonne Celina

I still maintain that half this squad wasn't PC choosing ( Does not excuse his performance )

But half the players just don't suit PC football, they really dont.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 12:03 - Nov 21 with 2917 viewsFtnfwest

Good timing, then we can get someone else in, rebuild and if they fail sack them by the end of this season, then rebuild again in the summer with someone else.
Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 12:07 - Nov 21 with 2882 viewschrismakin

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 12:03 - Nov 21 by Ftnfwest

Good timing, then we can get someone else in, rebuild and if they fail sack them by the end of this season, then rebuild again in the summer with someone else.

Is it not possible that a new manager could come in, see the squad and say, actually 4 4 2 or 3 5 2 or 4 3 3 with the players available could do more than 4 2 3 1.

If we have as most say, the best players in the league... why would it need rebuilding.

Unfortunately for me Cook has to go on 14:28 - Nov 21 with 2683 viewsbraveblue

Good owners, good chief exec, manager with great track record, further investment coming, team improving without a doubt, far bigger crowds. Hope no one involved reads this or similar posts. So negative. Lost 3 in 15 - sack the manager. Laughable.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024