Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tallinn recommendations 16:54 - Nov 21 with 1206 viewsThisIsMyUsername

I'll be there for a few days over Christmas. Can anyone recommend anything specific to do/visit*/eat etc?

* apart from the obvious Christmas Market.

Thanks in advance.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Tallinn recommendations on 17:13 - Nov 21 with 1164 viewsfactual_blue

The House Of The Blackheads . An interesting collection of removed blackheads spanning several centuries.

I've not been, so I'm just guessing that's what the House Of The Blackheads is about.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Tallinn recommendations on 17:19 - Nov 21 with 1154 viewsKeno

Tallinn recommendations on 17:13 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

The House Of The Blackheads . An interesting collection of removed blackheads spanning several centuries.

I've not been, so I'm just guessing that's what the House Of The Blackheads is about.

The lack of replies is quite tallin

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Tallinn recommendations on 17:19 - Nov 21 with 1153 viewsRob88

Casanova
Tallinn recommendations on 17:40 - Nov 21 with 1095 viewsBlueBadger

BustersBlues clearly has very strong views in favour of Christmas markets.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Tallinn recommendations on 17:51 - Nov 21 with 1094 viewsclive_baker

A rogue thing I remember about Tallinn is the broadband speed being ridiculously quick. I did the walking tour there which was moderately interesting, probably worthwhile if you have time and if it’s running over Christmas. It’s not a big place, the tour started in the main square and walked us down near a large lake. I don’t remember much from the tour other than them explaining what the Estonian flag colours represent.

I met a local in a club who was slim and attractive, and had been on some remarkable weight loss journey. She showed me before and after pics on her phone and I couldn’t believe it was the same person, it was so extreme.

I also remember having a sauna in our air bnb and me & my friends convincing ourselves that sweating out the alcohol was a good way to prevent a hangover. So there we all sat, 4am drinking in our sauna, occasionally chucking on another ladle of water, congratulating ourselves for our genius idea. Never been as hungover as I was the next day, turns out we just dehydrated ourselves further I’m sure. Only stayed a couple of nights before heading to Riga. Tallinn is a pleasant city, but as I say it’s pretty small and doesn’t take too long to see it.

None of that is very useful is it.

Edit: oh and they bloody love Depeche mode. So much so that there’s a Depeche mode themed bar. It was as weird as it sounds.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 17:54]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Tallinn recommendations on 18:11 - Nov 21 with 1059 viewsfactual_blue

Tallinn recommendations on 17:40 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

Presumably he sells over-priced currywursts in them.

Tallinn recommendations on 18:38 - Nov 21 with 1029 viewsfactual_blue

Tallinn recommendations on 17:51 - Nov 21 by clive_baker

A rogue thing I remember about Tallinn is the broadband speed being ridiculously quick. I did the walking tour there which was moderately interesting, probably worthwhile if you have time and if it’s running over Christmas. It’s not a big place, the tour started in the main square and walked us down near a large lake. I don’t remember much from the tour other than them explaining what the Estonian flag colours represent.

I met a local in a club who was slim and attractive, and had been on some remarkable weight loss journey. She showed me before and after pics on her phone and I couldn’t believe it was the same person, it was so extreme.

I also remember having a sauna in our air bnb and me & my friends convincing ourselves that sweating out the alcohol was a good way to prevent a hangover. So there we all sat, 4am drinking in our sauna, occasionally chucking on another ladle of water, congratulating ourselves for our genius idea. Never been as hungover as I was the next day, turns out we just dehydrated ourselves further I’m sure. Only stayed a couple of nights before heading to Riga. Tallinn is a pleasant city, but as I say it’s pretty small and doesn’t take too long to see it.

None of that is very useful is it.

Edit: oh and they bloody love Depeche mode. So much so that there’s a Depeche mode themed bar. It was as weird as it sounds.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 17:54]

Yah!!!!

Jeera!!!!

Welcome back!!!

Tallinn recommendations on 18:42 - Nov 21 with 1018 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Tallinn recommendations on 17:40 - Nov 21 by BlueBadger

Surely a mistake; he can't be that easily offended!

I'm looking forward to the Christmas Market, for what it's worth.

Login to get fewer ads

Tallinn recommendations on 18:53 - Nov 21 with 1009 viewsjeera

Tallinn recommendations on 18:38 - Nov 21 by factual_blue

Yah!!!!

Jeera!!!!

Welcome back!!!

Shh. I'm not here and you haven't seen me.

I haven't even been to Tallinn.

I don't like Xmas markets though so felt qualified to join in on some level.

Plus I enjoyed CB's read there. The Depeche Mode bit made me smile.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Tallinn recommendations on 18:54 - Nov 21 with 1000 viewsParky

Get the ferry to Helsinki for the day if you have time.

Some absolutely excellent places in Tallinn and plenty to see/do, but I’d definitely jump on the ferry if you have time.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 19:33]
Tallinn recommendations on 19:30 - Nov 21 with 957 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Tallinn recommendations on 18:54 - Nov 21 by Parky

Get the ferry to Helsinki for the day if you have time.

Some absolutely excellent places in Tallinn and plenty to see/do, but I’d definitely jump on the ferry if you have time.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 19:33]

Thanks for the tip! Looks quite convenient.

Tallinn recommendations on 19:52 - Nov 21 with 924 viewsVintage65

Tallinn recommendations on 19:30 - Nov 21 by ThisIsMyUsername

Thanks for the tip! Looks quite convenient.

The KGB museum in Tallin is brilliant! It occupies the top secret floor of a hotel - the hotel lifts finish on the floor below.

They show you round this floor, where they used to monitor guests - particularly VIP guests. It has been left exactly as it was when the KGB left in a hurry, when Russia lost control - including fag butts in the ashtrays.

Found the whole experience and stories of that era fascinating - and well worth doing imo.

I am a Nodge fan though! lol Seriously though, only about an hour tour, but an hour well spent.
Tallinn recommendations on 20:07 - Nov 21 with 906 viewsfactual_blue

Tallinn recommendations on 18:53 - Nov 21 by jeera

Shh. I'm not here and you haven't seen me.

I haven't even been to Tallinn.

I don't like Xmas markets though so felt qualified to join in on some level.

Plus I enjoyed CB's read there. The Depeche Mode bit made me smile.

I similarly detest Christmas markets, and sincerely hope the pandemic has done for them.

For good.
[Post edited 21 Nov 2021 20:15]

Tallinn recommendations on 20:08 - Nov 21 with 900 viewsStokieBlue

Tallinn is lovely.

Kumu - excellent art gallery
Telliskivi Industrial Complex - microbreweries
Moon - excellent restaurant
Kadroig Palace - Russian style palace
Estonian Maritime Museum - really good
Toompea Castle - overlooks the old town.

Enjoy, it's nice the if it's snowed, very atmospheric. You can get a Tallinn card I believe which gives you entry to lots of the above.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Tallinn recommendations on 20:11 - Nov 21 with 894 viewsfactual_blue

Tallinn recommendations on 19:52 - Nov 21 by Vintage65

The KGB museum in Tallin is brilliant! It occupies the top secret floor of a hotel - the hotel lifts finish on the floor below.

They show you round this floor, where they used to monitor guests - particularly VIP guests. It has been left exactly as it was when the KGB left in a hurry, when Russia lost control - including fag butts in the ashtrays.

Found the whole experience and stories of that era fascinating - and well worth doing imo.

I am a Nodge fan though! lol Seriously though, only about an hour tour, but an hour well spent.

I remember reading some years back an American diplomat (OK CIA officer) saying he knew the Soviet Union couldn't win the Cold War when the wash basin fell off the wall in his Moscow hotel room.

If they can't master that level of engineering, he reasoned, their missiles wouldn't work either.

Tallinn recommendations on 20:21 - Nov 21 with 878 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Tallinn recommendations on 19:52 - Nov 21 by Vintage65

Sounds very interesting and definitely my cup of tea. The website says it's only open Friday-Sunday, so hopefully it's open on the 24th.

Tallinn recommendations on 20:23 - Nov 21 with 869 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Tallinn recommendations on 20:08 - Nov 21 by StokieBlue

Tallinn is lovely.

Kumu - excellent art gallery
Telliskivi Industrial Complex - microbreweries
Moon - excellent restaurant
Kadroig Palace - Russian style palace
Estonian Maritime Museum - really good
Toompea Castle - overlooks the old town.

Enjoy, it's nice the if it's snowed, very atmospheric. You can get a Tallinn card I believe which gives you entry to lots of the above.

SB

Thanks SB :) I'll research these.

Tallinn recommendations on 20:38 - Nov 21 with 840 viewsfactual_blue

Tallinn recommendations on 20:21 - Nov 21 by ThisIsMyUsername

Sounds very interesting and definitely my cup of tea. The website says it's only open Friday-Sunday, so hopefully it's open on the 24th.

Just don't touch the door knobs.

Tallinn recommendations on 21:07 - Nov 21 with 801 viewsdominiciawful

I'm not Tallinn you.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024