Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. 12:13 - Nov 22 with 991 viewsEwan_Oozami

Some people saying we didn't defend the back post....the problem is that we did - with 3 players, who all got in Walton's way when he tried to get to the ball...

It wasn't the lack of defenders that caused the problem, it was definitely a problem of too many cooks....

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:03 - Nov 22 with 866 viewsHighgateBlue

One too many Cooks, one might say...

Yes, you're definitely right on this. I read the comments about not defending the back post before seeing the highlights, and the two didn't seem to marry up at all. We had a right gaggle of silliness in the vague area of the back post.

The defence has unfortunately been a bit of a shower this season. If we dominate a game and have a bad day in front of goal, we need to be picking up the odd 0-0, especially against potential playoff rivals (ha! fat chance!)

Can Cook organise us defensively? I'm just not sure there's any evidence he can. We're shipping 1.5 goals a game. It's not impossible to make the playoffs with that stat, but you have to be Joe Royle! (see 2003/04 - we don't have D.Bent, Pablo or Kuqi anymore, much less a manager who'd let more than one of them on at a time...).

Walton is a definite improvement on what went before (not especially hard), but the defence is just not as good as last season. That has to be recognised if we are to get any better.

I think our problems at the other end are less obvious. Personally I think Bonne is allowed a lean patch - he's been on fire for most of the season, and possibly kept Cook in post. Ideally we would have Pigott raring to go and occasionally coming on as part of a front two when we need a goal, but there's no point expecting Cook to compromise his rigid footballing principles.
One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:08 - Nov 22 with 857 viewsDavoIPB

Exaclty. Not really a mistake from anybody, Walton just ran into Edmundson who ducked to try to let Walton get the ball. The Sunderland player didn't even head the ball it just hit him in the face and went in. The penalty was a joke. Frustrating doesn't quite cover it.
One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:10 - Nov 22 with 840 viewsKeaneish

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:03 - Nov 22 by HighgateBlue

One too many Cooks, one might say...

Yes, you're definitely right on this. I read the comments about not defending the back post before seeing the highlights, and the two didn't seem to marry up at all. We had a right gaggle of silliness in the vague area of the back post.

The defence has unfortunately been a bit of a shower this season. If we dominate a game and have a bad day in front of goal, we need to be picking up the odd 0-0, especially against potential playoff rivals (ha! fat chance!)

Can Cook organise us defensively? I'm just not sure there's any evidence he can. We're shipping 1.5 goals a game. It's not impossible to make the playoffs with that stat, but you have to be Joe Royle! (see 2003/04 - we don't have D.Bent, Pablo or Kuqi anymore, much less a manager who'd let more than one of them on at a time...).

Walton is a definite improvement on what went before (not especially hard), but the defence is just not as good as last season. That has to be recognised if we are to get any better.

I think our problems at the other end are less obvious. Personally I think Bonne is allowed a lean patch - he's been on fire for most of the season, and possibly kept Cook in post. Ideally we would have Pigott raring to go and occasionally coming on as part of a front two when we need a goal, but there's no point expecting Cook to compromise his rigid footballing principles.

That wasn’t defending the back post. Defending the back post means you stay in the post until the danger is cleared and then break to form the defensive shape.

What we had was no-one on the post in favour of packing out the box to make it easier to pick up men. It’s worked a lot recently but not on this occasion.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:18 - Nov 22 with 789 viewsScuzzer

Spot on.

Established 1968

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 14:47 - Nov 22 with 636 viewsIllinoisblue

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:08 - Nov 22 by DavoIPB

Exaclty. Not really a mistake from anybody, Walton just ran into Edmundson who ducked to try to let Walton get the ball. The Sunderland player didn't even head the ball it just hit him in the face and went in. The penalty was a joke. Frustrating doesn't quite cover it.

Our keeper colliding or being impeded by three of our defenders to allow their player a free header on goal kinda does feel like a mistake.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:15 - Nov 22 with 587 viewsEwan_Oozami

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 14:47 - Nov 22 by Illinoisblue

Our keeper colliding or being impeded by three of our defenders to allow their player a free header on goal kinda does feel like a mistake.

A mistake not just by one Town player but by FOUR!!!!

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:21 - Nov 22 with 569 viewsLeBlue

I was always trained that if the keeper calls for the ball, you get out of the way by whatever means possible. We used to be drilled into essentially retreating to the goal line to 'cover' the advancing keeper's position.

Training methods were enhanced if you got it wrong and the keeper's right fist clouted you in the temple.
One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:24 - Nov 22 with 556 viewspeterleeblue

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 13:08 - Nov 22 by DavoIPB

All Walton had to do was stay on his line and collect the soft header.

Sunderland fans are split up here. Some believe we are a decent side and it was a good 3 pts against a rival. The rest remain unimpressed that we couldn't breach a defence shipping goals for fun.
Login to get fewer ads

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:31 - Nov 22 with 531 viewsEwan_Oozami

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:21 - Nov 22 by LeBlue

I was always trained that if the keeper calls for the ball, you get out of the way by whatever means possible. We used to be drilled into essentially retreating to the goal line to 'cover' the advancing keeper's position.

Training methods were enhanced if you got it wrong and the keeper's right fist clouted you in the temple.

Indeed, and as I played RB, I was generally at one post or the other and often got caught in a keeper/attacker sandwich when I was at the back post....I would generally assume if the keeper called for the ball and I was going to be in the way, I'd try to get back to the goal line if I could (or block and opposition player from challenging...

In this case, it looked like they all tried to give Walton space, but because there were three of them in each other's way (no idea what Donacien was doing there tbh), they couldn't get completely clear, and also couldn't get back to the post (I think the only one who could have done was Clements) so when Walton missed the ball and it hit O'Nien's head there was no-one in place to block the ball afterwards....

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:40 - Nov 22 with 497 viewschrismakin

The problem was

1 of them came off the line and left it free
the keeper came out and missed the ball

goal.

the end 2 people to blame.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:44 - Nov 22 with 486 viewsEwan_Oozami

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:40 - Nov 22 by chrismakin

The problem was

1 of them came off the line and left it free
the keeper came out and missed the ball

goal.

the end 2 people to blame.

There never was anyone on the back post, Donacien was out of position, Edmunson wasn't marking anybody, Walton missed the ball, and Clements didn't get back to the post when Walton called for the ball.......I make that 4 mistakes..

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:47 - Nov 22 with 477 viewschrismakin

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:44 - Nov 22 by Ewan_Oozami

There never was anyone on the back post, Donacien was out of position, Edmunson wasn't marking anybody, Walton missed the ball, and Clements didn't get back to the post when Walton called for the ball.......I make that 4 mistakes..

celina missed a couple of chances
Morsy missed one too
We then made sub terrible subs this lead to............
sunderland got on top
snderland got a corner
we then had to defend using drills learnt in training
3 players went for the same ball
keeper failed to claim a ball

plenty of mistakes.... ;)

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:49 - Nov 22 with 474 viewsEwan_Oozami

One last thought on Sunderland's first goal.. on 15:47 - Nov 22 by chrismakin

celina missed a couple of chances
Morsy missed one too
We then made sub terrible subs this lead to............
sunderland got on top
snderland got a corner
we then had to defend using drills learnt in training
3 players went for the same ball
keeper failed to claim a ball

plenty of mistakes.... ;)

Indeed, and this is where Cook should be managing those out of the team as much as is practicably possible, doesn't seem to be happening yet....

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024