Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... 17:20 - Nov 22 with 2791 viewsunstableblue

Number one: "Rotherham boss Warne has been in charge of the club since 2016.... He had spent the previous seven years with Rotherham, as a player for three years and then as part of the coaching set-up."

Number two: "Compared to the squad that ended the 2020/21 season, six of the starting XI remain from their final day 1-1 draw away to Cardiff City with seven of the bench still at the club"

He took over the club in November 2016, and oversaw a clusterf@ck of a season, 'securing' bottom place in the Championship and relegation by 20+ points from the nearest rival.

They started the 17/18 season abysmally, losing 3 in 4, they rallied a little, but then spent the middle of the season mid table.. before a great Jan/Feb run of games got them into the play-offs.. where they won and secured promotion.

Its a simple message isn't it, patience needed - O'Leary, Ashton and the American have pleaded for the same.

Now its right to question Cook, I am still not 100% convinced technically/tactically by Cook, but I've actually been at recent games and seen improvement. I'm on the border of whether if its enough.. I am really am. But look at the above and tell me time and patience aren't a factor here.

But people seem to be merging impatience and well founded desire to succeed after 10 years of sh!te under Marcus into low tolerance for Cook.

What is the meaning of cut your nose to spite your face?
“Cutting off the nose to spite the face” is an expression to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face” is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one’s anger.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:28 - Nov 22 with 2071 viewsJDB23

So what you’re saying is if we stick with it then in 5 years time we could be in league 1 fighting for promotion?
TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:35 - Nov 22 with 2041 viewsHerbivore

Although in 2017/18 they were a couple of points better off than we are currently after 18 games. And presumably Warne hadn't been given unprecedented backing in the transfer market in the preceding summer. If we go on a run and Cook takes us up through the play offs as Warne did then I am sure he'll get longer here. Fingers crossed we won't then do the whole yoyo thing that Warne has perfected.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:38 - Nov 22 with 2037 viewsjayessess

For every football story where patience paid off, there's another story where patience just dug a deeper hole. Compare Lambert and Warne, for instance. Lambert's first 50 games undoubtedly went better than Warne's did, but were we right to show patience with him? Absolutely not.

It's not patience that's the real virtue here, it's good judgement.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:58 - Nov 22 with 1974 viewsMullet

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:35 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

Although in 2017/18 they were a couple of points better off than we are currently after 18 games. And presumably Warne hadn't been given unprecedented backing in the transfer market in the preceding summer. If we go on a run and Cook takes us up through the play offs as Warne did then I am sure he'll get longer here. Fingers crossed we won't then do the whole yoyo thing that Warne has perfected.

The stench of desperation with stuff like this is laughable isn’t it? This is from people they used to sneer at Rotherham and used to talk about competing with them as a source of great shame.

I note there’s no technical analysis of their style of play. Almost as if…..

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:04 - Nov 22 with 1945 viewspositivity

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:35 - Nov 22 by Herbivore

warne's style of football is machine-tooled for league one.

cook has done better in the championship, so I would be much more hopeful that IF we can go up that we wouldn't become another rotherham yo-yo

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:13 - Nov 22 with 1904 viewsMullet

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:04 - Nov 22 by positivity

warne's style of football is machine-tooled for league one.

cook has done better in the championship, so I would be much more hopeful that IF we can go up that we wouldn't become another rotherham yo-yo

Warne hasn’t really had the same scenario either. They had loads of fixture congestion due to Covid so arguably were unlucky to back here weren’t they?

They’re also a minnow in tier 2 arguably, hence the need to yo-yo. We’d spend far more when we get up surely

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:19 - Nov 22 with 1885 viewsitfcjoe

Can we at least wait until after the match before we start with the excuses?

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:26 - Nov 22 with 1856 viewsBlueBadger

That's a very long-winded way of saying 'I'm pretty comfortable with failure, actually'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:27 - Nov 22 with 1859 viewspositivity

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:19 - Nov 22 by itfcjoe

Can we at least wait until after the match before we start with the excuses?

where's the fun in that? the board was the same before wycombe and it made it all the sweeter when we won!

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:31 - Nov 22 with 1825 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't you send Cook your amazing and revolutionary idea of...try harder and be better?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:36 - Nov 22 with 1801 viewsIllinoisblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:27 - Nov 22 by positivity

where's the fun in that? the board was the same before wycombe and it made it all the sweeter when we won!

And just look how we’ve pushed on since then!

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:40 - Nov 22 with 1783 viewspositivity

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:36 - Nov 22 by Illinoisblue

And just look how we’ve pushed on since then!

we've had 7 season's worth of cup wins since then!

maybe we need to say we haven't got a hope before every game...

Exactly (n/t) on 18:55 - Nov 22 with 1726 viewsunstableblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:28 - Nov 22 by JDB23

So what you’re saying is if we stick with it then in 5 years time we could be in league 1 fighting for promotion?

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 19:45 - Nov 22 with 1611 viewsunstableblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 18:31 - Nov 22 by J2BLUE

Can't you send Cook your amazing and revolutionary idea of...try harder and be better?

‘Idea’, ‘idea’, ‘IDEA’?! You know it is a model J2….

It’s has three parameters

1. Have the better quality players, in a cohesive unit with developed partnerships
2. Have a greater energy and desire than the opposition
3. Have the better technical set-up, tactics and system of play

It’s simplicity is its beauty, and applying a robust analytical approach brings the model to life

Feel free to use it after tomorrow night

I could send you the Excel, you’ll have to enable macros

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:01 - Nov 22 with 1547 viewsBlueBadger

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 19:45 - Nov 22 by unstableblue

‘Idea’, ‘idea’, ‘IDEA’?! You know it is a model J2….

It’s has three parameters

1. Have the better quality players, in a cohesive unit with developed partnerships
2. Have a greater energy and desire than the opposition
3. Have the better technical set-up, tactics and system of play

It’s simplicity is its beauty, and applying a robust analytical approach brings the model to life

Feel free to use it after tomorrow night

I could send you the Excel, you’ll have to enable macros

That's a lot of flannel to say 'have better players, manager and try harder'.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 20:03]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:10 - Nov 22 with 1489 viewsunstableblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:01 - Nov 22 by BlueBadger

That's a lot of flannel to say 'have better players, manager and try harder'.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 20:03]

Ssssshhh… don’t tell anyone

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:17 - Nov 22 with 1459 viewsCopfordBlue

It took Tuchal a couple of games to improve Chelsea not 5 years. It’s what a good coach does - takes what he has and improves it. Cook took what he had last season (not much admittedly) and made them worse. He’s now getting less out of his squad than he should be.

Poll: Most enjoyable calendar year as an Ipswich supporter

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:22 - Nov 22 with 1419 viewsunstableblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:58 - Nov 22 by Mullet

The stench of desperation with stuff like this is laughable isn’t it? This is from people they used to sneer at Rotherham and used to talk about competing with them as a source of great shame.

I note there’s no technical analysis of their style of play. Almost as if…..

Yes of course we sneered at them because they played such a horrible style under Warnock

Remember that game in 2016 when they beat us at PR and they were so bad and draconian, but we were even worse in a game so dire that it was like inserting hot needles into your eye balls… you probably thought it was a joy and masterclass

Oh and Ipswich were booed off the pitch despite being 7th in the championship

But under Warne they play a much improved style where they mix passing, breaking the lines and longer ball. Good to watch.

I hope that clarifies.

You have a point on 20:27 - Nov 22 with 1394 viewsunstableblue

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:17 - Nov 22 by CopfordBlue

It took Tuchal a couple of games to improve Chelsea not 5 years. It’s what a good coach does - takes what he has and improves it. Cook took what he had last season (not much admittedly) and made them worse. He’s now getting less out of his squad than he should be.

BUT touchal didn’t rebuild an entire team and bring 18 players into a new club

Surely the caretaker Charlton manager that everyone should be referencing… I look at that and think maybe cook isn’t the one… but wasn’t at the club for a long time, as had much of the team

But yeah a concern

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:27 - Nov 22 with 1280 viewsFtnfwest

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 20:17 - Nov 22 by CopfordBlue

I know what you’re saying but I don’t think Frank left them in as bad a state as Rotherham in 2016
TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:38 - Nov 22 with 1246 viewsblueislander

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:38 - Nov 22 by jayessess

For every football story where patience paid off, there's another story where patience just dug a deeper hole. Compare Lambert and Warne, for instance. Lambert's first 50 games undoubtedly went better than Warne's did, but were we right to show patience with him? Absolutely not.

Patience paid off with Burley didn’t it? Of course we had a board then who were much more in tune with “the Ipswich way”
TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:47 - Nov 22 with 1213 viewsBlueBadger

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:38 - Nov 22 by blueislander

Patience paid off with Burley didn’t it? Of course we had a board then who were much more in tune with “the Ipswich way”

Burley was a novice manager with 20 games under his belt who inherited a doomed side that were tipped to drop through the divisions ala Swindon and turned them into outside candidates for the playoffs and top goalscorers in one season on a shoestring budget though. And proceeded to to build progressively better sides despite having to sell his best players every summer.

Cook was a manager with getting on for 700 games as a manager under his belt who inherited a side that was a couple of points off the playoffs, took them into mid table, blamed them for it after about 4 games, binned them all off and is now doing the same with a side assembled in a budget that wouldn't look bad a division higher.

Patience with mangers is all very well if they're the RIGHT manager.

We've only got to go back one or two seasons to see where persisting too long with the wrong manager gets you.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 22:53]

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:54 - Nov 22 with 1186 viewsBlueBadger

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 17:38 - Nov 22 by jayessess

Lambert got us relegated in his first 50 games.

It must have gone REALLY bad for Warne.

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:58 - Nov 22 with 1176 viewsblueislander

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:47 - Nov 22 by BlueBadger

Burley was a novice manager with 20 games under his belt who inherited a doomed side that were tipped to drop through the divisions ala Swindon and turned them into outside candidates for the playoffs and top goalscorers in one season on a shoestring budget though. And proceeded to to build progressively better sides despite having to sell his best players every summer.

Cook was a manager with getting on for 700 games as a manager under his belt who inherited a side that was a couple of points off the playoffs, took them into mid table, blamed them for it after about 4 games, binned them all off and is now doing the same with a side assembled in a budget that wouldn't look bad a division higher.

Patience with mangers is all very well if they're the RIGHT manager.

We've only got to go back one or two seasons to see where persisting too long with the wrong manager gets you.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2021 22:53]

You have not got what I was implying from my post, which Is my fault for not making it clear. I was trying, and failing, to show the difference in the attitude of the club’s directors/ owners. For what it’s worth, I do think that Cook should be given more time. He has signed some really good players for this level. Despite them not yet delivering ,it is undeniable that the football is more watchable, and when they play well they are as good as any team in this league. Tomorrow will be very interesting.
TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 22:12 - Nov 22 with 1141 viewsBlueBadger

TWO important points to take in and digest ahead of tomorrow night.... on 21:58 - Nov 22 by blueislander

You have not got what I was implying from my post, which Is my fault for not making it clear. I was trying, and failing, to show the difference in the attitude of the club’s directors/ owners. For what it’s worth, I do think that Cook should be given more time. He has signed some really good players for this level. Despite them not yet delivering ,it is undeniable that the football is more watchable, and when they play well they are as good as any team in this league. Tomorrow will be very interesting.

Trouble is, we don't just need The Football to be Batter. We need it to be Better enough to actually win games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024