Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The thing that gets me... 23:53 - Nov 22 with 3473 viewsOriginalMarkyP

The football is better than last year.

But the tactical inflexibility is just the same if not more solidly entrenched.

The results are by and large the same. The postion slightly worse.

And everyone who says it's a rebuild, fair enough. BUT if we don't go up this season, as some have already pointed out a lot of the players in that rebuild will go.

And then where are we?

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

The thing that gets me... on 06:30 - Nov 23 with 1695 viewspennyfathersleg

The football is better than last season, however I’m less confident we will win. I was confident we would score in a game; that confidence is now becoming less! I was confident we would concede. I’m still confident we will concede, but slightly less so.

I guess my point is, we haven’t really improved, and maybe teams have worked us out now. We do need to be more flexible at times. I’m confident we won’t be!

If we don’t go up (I think this probable!), I’m sure a new manager will be in charge next season. I’m not sure there’ll be a big turnover of players. We'll definitely have to get rid of some, as I feel we aren’t balanced enough and of course a new manager will want his own players.
The thing that gets me... on 07:08 - Nov 23 with 1642 viewsVic

Which players would have to go, or are you just panicking a bit here?

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

The thing that gets me... on 07:38 - Nov 23 with 1614 viewsChrisd

There have been suggestions players will go during the summer why exactly I’m not sure? They are paid well and Ashton has sold them the project. Of course the loan players will go back to their parent clubs, but the owners are the most important voices here, not those adding 2+2 and coming up with 5. They want us going up, everything they say suggests that and if that doesn’t happen this season, they will learn from it and then try again next season. I still believe we will get in the top 6 come May, promotion is still achievable, even with all this doom and gloom some like to post.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

The thing that gets me... on 07:55 - Nov 23 with 1572 viewsOldboy

Who will go?
I imagine that the vast majority would have signed at least for 2 years. Really don't understand this "they will leave if we don't go up" idea.
The thing that gets me... on 08:01 - Nov 23 with 1555 viewsHighgateBlue

The football is better /going forward/. I accept that readily, and it is great to see.

But although the attacking side of the game is more fun to watch, but that does not mean that the remainder of the game is not crucially important.

We're conceding 1.5 goals per game. You have to be scoring at Joe Royle rates to get into the playoffs with a defence like that.

It is often said that the football is better, and I think people genuinely mean the attacking element of the football, which is a bizarrely selective way of viewing the game, especially at the Club of Beattie and Butcher.

Analysed as a whole, I cannot accept that the football is better.
The thing that gets me... on 08:08 - Nov 23 with 1534 viewsOldboy

The thing that gets me... on 08:01 - Nov 23 by HighgateBlue

The football is better /going forward/. I accept that readily, and it is great to see.

But although the attacking side of the game is more fun to watch, but that does not mean that the remainder of the game is not crucially important.

We're conceding 1.5 goals per game. You have to be scoring at Joe Royle rates to get into the playoffs with a defence like that.

It is often said that the football is better, and I think people genuinely mean the attacking element of the football, which is a bizarrely selective way of viewing the game, especially at the Club of Beattie and Butcher.

The style of football is better. We go out to actually win games rather than being frightened to lose them. Not working particularly well at the moment results wise, but the intention is there to win. Needs tightening up at the back, but our style of football has changed massively from previous managers.
The thing that gets me... on 08:44 - Nov 23 with 1481 viewsChurchman

The loanees might go but most of these players are on three year contracts. Also, if the team fails, it will reflect on them. Where are they going to go and will they be paid more? The game is hardly awash with money to splurge on League One players who’ve just blown an opportunity at one of the few clubs with money - which is what they’ll be..

Having just moved here, will they want to move again? If they want out that quickly, perhaps we will be well rid because that will tell me their commitment was little more than journeymen/give it a go.

Yes, it’s a rebuild. Having binned a whole squad of by and large wasters how could it be anything else? The loanees and some of the players will go because that’s modern football, but the core will still be here which will make next season’s team easier to model from a stronger base - hopefully.

One thing for sure is that unless the Americans pull the plug, the club itself will be much stronger. The support staff are in place and structural change throughout the club is ongoing ongoing. That will reap benefits longer term whatever happens with today’s manager and team.

This football club was a disaster heading for oblivion. That was inevitable thanks to saviour Marcus, but it isn’t now. As a pessimist, I don’t think we will get anywhere this season but the future for the club is very bright.
The thing that gets me... on 08:51 - Nov 23 with 1461 viewsthebooks

I guess one of the advantages of underperforming is that your good players lose their value. Perhaps there won’t be some huge exodus.

I’m assuming there would be a new manager, who would hopefully be able to get a tune out of this squad. To be honest, I’d fancy my chances getting this lot performing.

Of course, this being Ipswich, we’ll get a whole slew of posts arguing they were never that good anyway, and we have no right to expect anything above tier three football, and that it’s a six year rebuilding project at the very least and Bobby Robson started slowly.
Login to get fewer ads

The thing that gets me... on 08:51 - Nov 23 with 1457 viewsHerbivore

The thing that gets me... on 07:38 - Nov 23 by Chrisd

There have been suggestions players will go during the summer why exactly I’m not sure? They are paid well and Ashton has sold them the project. Of course the loan players will go back to their parent clubs, but the owners are the most important voices here, not those adding 2+2 and coming up with 5. They want us going up, everything they say suggests that and if that doesn’t happen this season, they will learn from it and then try again next season. I still believe we will get in the top 6 come May, promotion is still achievable, even with all this doom and gloom some like to post.

The fact they are paid well is precisely why some will have to go. Our turnover this season was boosted by around £3.5m on incoming transfer fees and I imagine we're right at the limit of what we can spend on wages. To sustain this season's wage bill next season we'll need to raise further funds or we'll be breaching salary cap rules. We'll see a fair turnover of players again in the summer if we don't go up.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The thing that gets me... on 08:53 - Nov 23 with 1448 viewsHerbivore

The thing that gets me... on 08:01 - Nov 23 by HighgateBlue

Aside from the three big wins we've had I'm not sure that attacking wise the football is that much better. We don't create all that much, which is backed up by us being 19th in the xG for table that I posted the other day. Since we beat Wycombe we've played 5 games in all competitions and the only side we've scored against is Oldham, who are struggling badly in League 2. I think our issues are more than just defensive leakiness.

The thing that gets me... on 08:55 - Nov 23 with 1448 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

For years, the football at Portman Road has bored the pants off me. The only reason for renewing the season ticket was for the banter with friends before and after. At least I am coming away entertained this season. Yes it's far from perfect, and we may not make the promotion party this year. It is a project and it may take longer than we hope for to come to fruition. At least I'm no longer questioning my own sanity for buying a season ticket.
The thing that gets me... on 09:15 - Nov 23 with 1403 viewsnorfsufblue

The thing that gets me... on 08:55 - Nov 23 by muhrensleftfoot

For years, the football at Portman Road has bored the pants off me. The only reason for renewing the season ticket was for the banter with friends before and after. At least I am coming away entertained this season. Yes it's far from perfect, and we may not make the promotion party this year. It is a project and it may take longer than we hope for to come to fruition. At least I'm no longer questioning my own sanity for buying a season ticket.

This is exactly my view.... for the last few years the thought of going to football for the football was waning.... only went for the beer and banter... now I am actually excited by a home fixture on the horizon simply because I do believe at some point it's going to result in a positive outcome in the future and its fun to watch that developed developing
The thing that gets me... on 09:17 - Nov 23 with 1401 viewsthorpedo

It is soooo frustrating seeing Bonne constantly isolated. The Oxford game was crying out for him to have a partner in the 2nd half. He was winning flick ons but nobody was near him. Burns and Edwards stay wide, and Celina - although a great player - is not a 2nd striker.
Nothing wrong with a 4-3-3, but surely in this day and age every team needs to be flexible and be able to change formation on occasion.

Thorpedo

The thing that gets me... on 09:20 - Nov 23 with 1383 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing that gets me... on 09:15 - Nov 23 by norfsufblue

This is exactly my view.... for the last few years the thought of going to football for the football was waning.... only went for the beer and banter... now I am actually excited by a home fixture on the horizon simply because I do believe at some point it's going to result in a positive outcome in the future and its fun to watch that developed developing

Which would you prefer to watch every other week Ipswich or Sunderland?

Think about it the choice is between being entertained and leaving the ground seven times out of eight with three points in the bank.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The thing that gets me... on 09:23 - Nov 23 with 1388 viewsSwansea_Blue

One of the things people didn't give Lambert's regime credit for was the shape and discipline off the ball. It made us hard to break down and should have been a solid base. We were pretty abject on the ball though. We seem to have a bit of an opposite problem under Cook, although I don't think that's news to anyone.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

The thing that gets me... on 09:24 - Nov 23 with 1374 viewsportmanking

The thing that gets me... on 08:51 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

The fact they are paid well is precisely why some will have to go. Our turnover this season was boosted by around £3.5m on incoming transfer fees and I imagine we're right at the limit of what we can spend on wages. To sustain this season's wage bill next season we'll need to raise further funds or we'll be breaching salary cap rules. We'll see a fair turnover of players again in the summer if we don't go up.

Wrong. The owners could simply inject more equity into the club to balance things out - providing they are happy to do so. That's the one benefit of the SCMP over FFP.
The thing that gets me... on 09:26 - Nov 23 with 1362 viewsHerbivore

The thing that gets me... on 09:24 - Nov 23 by portmanking

Wrong. The owners could simply inject more equity into the club to balance things out - providing they are happy to do so. That's the one benefit of the SCMP over FFP.

You're assuming they'll be prepared to sink that money in though. This season we've used sales primarily to keep us within the rules. No reason to think that wouldn't be the plan this summer as well.

The thing that gets me... on 09:28 - Nov 23 with 1354 viewsportmanking

The thing that gets me... on 09:26 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

You're assuming they'll be prepared to sink that money in though. This season we've used sales primarily to keep us within the rules. No reason to think that wouldn't be the plan this summer as well.

They are smart people. They will have ring-fenced money for all eventualities - including a two or possibly even three-year stay at this level. Ed Schwartz talks about owning the club for 10-15 years if not more. Why people think we're simply going to rip up the squad and start over if we don't go up in May is madness.

There will be a few casualties, particularly an inability to sign our current loanees permanently, but the spine of the team will remain I have no doubt.
The thing that gets me... on 09:31 - Nov 23 with 1328 viewsPinewoodblue

The thing that gets me... on 09:28 - Nov 23 by portmanking

They are smart people. They will have ring-fenced money for all eventualities - including a two or possibly even three-year stay at this level. Ed Schwartz talks about owning the club for 10-15 years if not more. Why people think we're simply going to rip up the squad and start over if we don't go up in May is madness.

There will be a few casualties, particularly an inability to sign our current loanees permanently, but the spine of the team will remain I have no doubt.

GK and striker are essential parts of the spine, they are both loanees.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

The thing that gets me... on 09:36 - Nov 23 with 1311 viewsOldboy

The thing that gets me... on 09:26 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

Norwood, Jackson, Kenlock and possibly Nolan can go. Barry can go back. That frees up some spends.
The thing that gets me... on 09:59 - Nov 23 with 1210 viewsHerbivore

The thing that gets me... on 09:28 - Nov 23 by portmanking

I have a lot of doubt. There's players in this squad who didn't sign to spend multiple seasons in this league and who will be confident they can attract interest from the level above. I think we'd see a minimum of 10 go and 10 come in over the summer, including the loanees, possibly more than that. That would put us back in time to gel territory.

The thing that gets me... on 10:05 - Nov 23 with 1185 viewsOldboy

The thing that gets me... on 09:59 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

I have a lot of doubt. There's players in this squad who didn't sign to spend multiple seasons in this league and who will be confident they can attract interest from the level above. I think we'd see a minimum of 10 go and 10 come in over the summer, including the loanees, possibly more than that. That would put us back in time to gel territory.

Think Bluebager and yourself need to change your signature to "totallynegativeblues". I will let you decide who is number one and who is number two.
The thing that gets me... on 10:18 - Nov 23 with 1164 viewsArnieM

I don’t get all this tactical inflexibility crap. If you look at other managers approaches, they invariable stick to one formation, (incidentally mostly the same one that PC adopts). So why the hang up on what Paul Cook does? It’s not about formations, it’s about players doing their jobs within that formation. I’d suggest neither Edwards nor Celina are doing theirs very well atm!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

The thing that gets me... on 10:22 - Nov 23 with 1155 viewsclive_baker

I think what we're concluding here is that Lambert should've stayed and been given the big 'war chest'?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The thing that gets me... on 10:28 - Nov 23 with 1137 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

The thing that gets me... on 08:53 - Nov 23 by Herbivore

Aside from the three big wins we've had I'm not sure that attacking wise the football is that much better. We don't create all that much, which is backed up by us being 19th in the xG for table that I posted the other day. Since we beat Wycombe we've played 5 games in all competitions and the only side we've scored against is Oldham, who are struggling badly in League 2. I think our issues are more than just defensive leakiness.

Until very recently we were top scorers in all 4 divisions. We are currently 3rd, behind Liverpool (third in the Prem) and Fulham (top of the Championship).

I don't much care for your "expected" goals table. I'd rather look at the actual tables in all four divisions. The idea that you're "not sure that attacking wise the football is that much better" is clearly bobbins.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024