Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly 08:37 - Nov 23 with 770 viewsStokieBlue

I listened to an interesting interview this morning where a scientist was suggesting that the European countries are seeing a higher rate of hospitalisation amongst the vaccinated elderly because they mainly used Pfizer for their vaccination programmes.

Research seems to be showing that whilst Pfizer creates a better antibody response in the general case, AZ creates a better T cell response in the elderly and thus might give better longer-term protection from hospitalisation in that cohort.

Please note this isn't a peer reviewed study, just a working theory so it will be interesting to see if this is backed up by a full study.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 08:49 - Nov 23 with 713 viewsGlasgowBlue

It was also reported that because the EU countries gave the second dose within 3 weeks, as opposed to us going 12 weeks, the effects of the vaccine have worn off far sooner on the continent.

Again, not peer reviewed but was from a government scientific advisor on the news.

Plus we had the full force of Delta in the spring and summer whereas they are getting it at the start of winter.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 09:15 - Nov 23 with 651 viewsPinewoodblue

Think there is some truth in this. Wife had Pfizer jab, first one in Feb, while I had AZ couple of weeks before her. She caught Covid in October while I didn’t. Know of another example of this where couple had different vaccine and the one who had Pfizer had Covid six months later.

Europe has been slow in introducing Booster jabs which hasn’t helped, seems Germany is in danger of facing a vaccine shortage which suggests a lack of forward planning.

It would however be wise to ramp up protective measures, face masks, social distancing etc. There is no reason why individuals can’t act now. Why wait until someone you don’t trust tells you to do it?

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 10:27 - Nov 23 with 564 viewsclive_baker

Can't trust that foreign muck.

Drop of the Oxford will sort you out.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 10:37 - Nov 23 with 542 viewsMookamoo

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 08:49 - Nov 23 by GlasgowBlue

It was also reported that because the EU countries gave the second dose within 3 weeks, as opposed to us going 12 weeks, the effects of the vaccine have worn off far sooner on the continent.

Again, not peer reviewed but was from a government scientific advisor on the news.

Plus we had the full force of Delta in the spring and summer whereas they are getting it at the start of winter.

It would be interesting to see if there is anything in that. The walk in vaccine centres were getting a hassle from those needing 2 jabs to return to work and having to wait 12 weeks (or 8 weeks as it eventually became). There were a fair few waving bits of paper from Pfizer suggesting their advice was only 3 weeks.
Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 11:37 - Nov 23 with 458 viewstonybied

Longer term protection from AZ in the elderly on 09:15 - Nov 23 by Pinewoodblue

Think there is some truth in this. Wife had Pfizer jab, first one in Feb, while I had AZ couple of weeks before her. She caught Covid in October while I didn’t. Know of another example of this where couple had different vaccine and the one who had Pfizer had Covid six months later.

Europe has been slow in introducing Booster jabs which hasn’t helped, seems Germany is in danger of facing a vaccine shortage which suggests a lack of forward planning.

It would however be wise to ramp up protective measures, face masks, social distancing etc. There is no reason why individuals can’t act now. Why wait until someone you don’t trust tells you to do it?

My household is an example of the other way around. I had AZ second dose in June my girlfriend had her second Pfizer in July. My daughter brought the disease home from school in September and duly passed it on to me, my partner didn't catch it then but then eventually caught it at the beginning of this month.

My summary from our admittedly very small sample is that immunity level seems to drop fairly quickly (3-4 months) no matter what vaccine has been administered.

I think until a better vaccine or more effective therapeutics are developed then if we really want to effectively get levels down as much as possible then boosters are probably required 3 or 4 times a year. I wouldn't have a problem with that but I can imagine that quite a few would!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024