Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? 13:45 - Nov 23 with 1322 viewsIllinoisblue

3-0 up and coasting to an away win. Even Brian Moore on commentary said “there’s surely no way Oxford can come back from this”….

Interesting to note the sparsely populated away end, indicative of the generally low crowds of that era.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 13:58 - Nov 23 with 1269 viewsgainsboroughblue

I can remember listening in horror at the 'goal actions' on Radio Orwell. I was at the game the game before (or it may have been the game after) where we'd lost 4-3 to Everton at home, having been 2 up.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 13:58 - Nov 23 with 1263 viewshoppy

Jon Hallworth probably wished he wasn't.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 14:05 - Nov 23 with 1238 viewscarlisleaway

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 13:58 - Nov 23 by gainsboroughblue

I can remember listening in horror at the 'goal actions' on Radio Orwell. I was at the game the game before (or it may have been the game after) where we'd lost 4-3 to Everton at home, having been 2 up.

Yes, I was I attendance and if I remember all 7 goals were scored in front of the travelling town fans.
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 14:59 - Nov 23 with 1161 viewsBarcaBlue

I was there, remember nothing about the match other than the result. Didn't spoil a cracking weekend in Oxford though, a mate reminded me of it recently. Great times, footie aside.
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:03 - Nov 23 with 1140 viewsPendejo

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 13:58 - Nov 23 by gainsboroughblue

"watched" the game on ceefax, many a swear word when screen refreshed to another Aldridge goal

Did Lineker play for Everton in that game?
For some reason watched that one from Churchmans

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:26 - Nov 23 with 1095 viewsWallingford_Boy

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 13:58 - Nov 23 by hoppy

Jon Hallworth probably wished he wasn't.

My first Ipswich match!

In the Oxford end too.

RIP Sir Bobby

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:29 - Nov 23 with 1086 viewsWallingford_Boy

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 14:05 - Nov 23 by carlisleaway

Yes, I was I attendance and if I remember all 7 goals were scored in front of the travelling town fans.

Don't think so as I remember Brennan's penner in front of me in the home end.

Was it 3-0 at HT? If so, all 7 scored in front of Oxford fans then.

RIP Sir Bobby

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:37 - Nov 23 with 1060 viewsIllinoisblue

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:26 - Nov 23 by Wallingford_Boy

My first Ipswich match!

In the Oxford end too.

Cursed from day 1!

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 16:01 - Nov 23 with 1009 viewsWallingford_Boy

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 15:37 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

Cursed from day 1!

Indeed, I should have known what I'd let myself in for..

RIP Sir Bobby

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 16:39 - Nov 23 with 965 viewssouthnorfolkblue

I went with my dad. Think there was a John Aldridge hat trick in there somewhere. Still remembering the old man saying that we were going to lose when they pulled it back to 3-1.

Was that the season that Oxford stayed up on the last day of the season at our expense? Think they beat Arsenal 3-0 to stay up

Poll: On 14th April 2020, will we be

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 17:21 - Nov 23 with 925 viewsBloomBlue

I remember it well, terrible management, 3-0 is a dangerous scoreline
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 17:21 - Nov 23 with 924 viewsgainsboroughblue

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 16:39 - Nov 23 by southnorfolkblue

I went with my dad. Think there was a John Aldridge hat trick in there somewhere. Still remembering the old man saying that we were going to lose when they pulled it back to 3-1.

Was that the season that Oxford stayed up on the last day of the season at our expense? Think they beat Arsenal 3-0 to stay up

Yep indeed. It was actually after the last day of the season, which is something that wouldn't happen these days. Arsenal fielded a team of reserves.

The same thing happened to Nodge the season before when Coventry beat a second string Everton 4-1, so swings and roundabouts.

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 18:03 - Nov 23 with 878 viewsxrayspecs

Just look at the fences keeping fans in the terrace off the pitch. That was normal pre-Hillsborough.
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 18:06]
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 18:05 - Nov 23 with 871 viewsIllinoisblue

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 17:21 - Nov 23 by BloomBlue

I remember it well, terrible management, 3-0 is a dangerous scoreline

Some of our defending… Facking hell. Effectively relegated us.

62 - 78 - 81

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 18:21 - Nov 23 with 845 viewsburnbudgiesburn

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 18:05 - Nov 23 by Illinoisblue

Some of our defending… Facking hell. Effectively relegated us.

That was an annoying season, we were good enough to stay up. We were miles away from competing in the top division like we had just 4 years earlier but we had some good young players getting top flight experience.

Dozzell could have played a few seasons more rather than hobbling around the 2nd division until we got back later in his career. We would have kept Butcher rather than selling him to Rangers i'm sure.
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:07 - Nov 23 with 788 viewsMattinLondon

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 18:21 - Nov 23 by burnbudgiesburn

That was an annoying season, we were good enough to stay up. We were miles away from competing in the top division like we had just 4 years earlier but we had some good young players getting top flight experience.

Dozzell could have played a few seasons more rather than hobbling around the 2nd division until we got back later in his career. We would have kept Butcher rather than selling him to Rangers i'm sure.

How come Butcher went to Rangers? I know, by the standards of the day, that Rangers were quite free spending. But as an experienced international it’s odd that a bigger English club didn’t come in for home - or a club on the continent.

Thinking about it, we’re English clubs banned from European competition at that time?
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:09 - Nov 23 with 779 viewschicoazul

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:07 - Nov 23 by MattinLondon

How come Butcher went to Rangers? I know, by the standards of the day, that Rangers were quite free spending. But as an experienced international it’s odd that a bigger English club didn’t come in for home - or a club on the continent.

Thinking about it, we’re English clubs banned from European competition at that time?

Lots of good English players like Butcher Steven and Woods were there and yes, England clubs were banned from Europe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:44 - Nov 23 with 720 viewsGeomorph

Yep.. probably the most p!ssed off I’ve been after any match I’ve been to…
[Post edited 23 Nov 2021 19:46]
Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:50 - Nov 23 with 699 viewsgainsboroughblue

Was anyone at Oxford on this day in 1985? on 19:07 - Nov 23 by MattinLondon

I think he spoke with Spurs. Dave Watson went to Everton around the same time for more money which was typical ITFC getting fleeced in the transfer market. I think European competition and the Souness revolution were factors in his move, along with possibly, not bearing to play for another English club after us.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024