Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
That was Lambert ball tonight 00:03 - Nov 24 with 2429 viewsgalacticoblue

Passing sideways and backwards, give it to Nsiala who either passes back to keeper or boots it long to no one, No movement off the ball, and when someone does try a run forward, no one anticipates it.
There has been no progress under Cook, even with better players at his disposal.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:11 - Nov 24 with 2243 viewsGarv

It's a way of playing that has served us generally pretty well all season when it comes to scoring goals though. It's easy to forget when it's worked when you're watching a team like Rotherham eat everything up.

We're patient and that's to be admired in the main. Of course I get the want to mix it up, but playing long to Bonne and Pigott was hardly going to be a smart tactic was it? I'm happy we tried to play our game, we just came up against a much much tougher and better drilled team.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:14 - Nov 24 with 2220 viewsBseaBlue

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:11 - Nov 24 by Garv

It's a way of playing that has served us generally pretty well all season when it comes to scoring goals though. It's easy to forget when it's worked when you're watching a team like Rotherham eat everything up.

We're patient and that's to be admired in the main. Of course I get the want to mix it up, but playing long to Bonne and Pigott was hardly going to be a smart tactic was it? I'm happy we tried to play our game, we just came up against a much much tougher and better drilled team.

I dont disagree that we haven't looked much better at times this season and when it has clicked it has been excellent. However, we just don't look like getting the run of wins together to really push on. I think we have to question the mentality and character of the side which sees us crumble when it comes to pressure.
That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:27 - Nov 24 with 2183 viewsjayessess

Not just about long ball though. In his post-match Cook said "I'm not telling them to stop crossing the ball, stop getting in the box, stop shooting", which I thought was odd. We continuously recycle the ball in crossing positions, rather than just put it in the box. It happens so often that I assumed it has to be deliberate? Surely it can't be that difficult to tell players, "get an opening, get in the box".

Yet we do it time and again and very very rarely work better openings by doing so.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:41 - Nov 24 with 2156 viewsGarv

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:14 - Nov 24 by BseaBlue

I dont disagree that we haven't looked much better at times this season and when it has clicked it has been excellent. However, we just don't look like getting the run of wins together to really push on. I think we have to question the mentality and character of the side which sees us crumble when it comes to pressure.

Do you really think we crumbled or were weak mentally tonight though?

We just got comfortably beaten by a superior team.

It's not as if we were two of three down at half time. We were one down to a great strike, albeit one that was avoidable.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:54 - Nov 24 with 2134 viewsGarv

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:27 - Nov 24 by jayessess

Not just about long ball though. In his post-match Cook said "I'm not telling them to stop crossing the ball, stop getting in the box, stop shooting", which I thought was odd. We continuously recycle the ball in crossing positions, rather than just put it in the box. It happens so often that I assumed it has to be deliberate? Surely it can't be that difficult to tell players, "get an opening, get in the box".

Yet we do it time and again and very very rarely work better openings by doing so.

The wide areas were a bit of a mess tonight. Celina isn't suited to the right side at all, Fraser comes inside because that's his game, and the full backs aren't good enough to make a yard and cross. I still don't understand why Clements played.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 13:15]

That was Lambert ball tonight on 02:20 - Nov 24 with 2079 viewsDavoIPB

We were nothing like a Lambert team. At one point we put together about 25 pass's all the way from the back with it ending up with a cross into their box.
That was Lambert ball tonight on 06:55 - Nov 24 with 1906 viewsPlums

That was Lambert ball tonight on 02:20 - Nov 24 by DavoIPB

We were nothing like a Lambert team. At one point we put together about 25 pass's all the way from the back with it ending up with a cross into their box.

On many more occasions, we had the ball on the edge of their box only to recycle it back to our own defence.
Our defence at set pieces was also Lambertesque. Everyone in our box and yet Edmundson ends up marking three players and infuriatingly, nobody left up to give us an outlet - even at 2-0.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:03 - Nov 24 with 1890 viewsHerbivore

What are you on about? We pumped it long to Bonne all night, and to his credit he won more than his fair share, but he had nobody anywhere near him aside from one flick on to Fraser in the first half. We aren't a footballing side. To be honest I don't really know what we are or what we're trying to be right now.

And I think we need to stop with this myth that we've been a goalscoring machine this season. We've humped three sides, outside those three games - which look anomalous at this point - we've scored 20 in 16. Hardly ripping it up. We don't create anywhere near as much as some of our fans make out, and we've now drawn three blanks in a row (booo! Mick out!), and often this season we've looked really disjointed as an attacking unit.

I honestly wonder what some of our fans are thinking. Expectations are through the floor and some seem to be really enjoying our mediocrity. Madness.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:14 - Nov 24 with 1841 viewschrismakin

People seen to forget that we still had our moments under Lambert. It ended up sht still but we had our moments in games no different to last night. Its very similar.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:15 - Nov 24 with 1843 viewstextbackup

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:41 - Nov 24 by Garv

Do you really think we crumbled or were weak mentally tonight though?

We just got comfortably beaten by a superior team.

It's not as if we were two of three down at half time. We were one down to a great strike, albeit one that was avoidable.

a great strike that had absolutely no pressure on him and allowed him to walk through midfield and pick his spot.

lastnight was awful, yes rotherham are well drilled, but they arent fcking man city. if we are suppose to have anything about us atleast match them.

the difference in everything across the pitch was huge. seriously worried after lastnight

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:57 - Nov 24 with 1779 viewsBseaBlue

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:15 - Nov 24 by textbackup

a great strike that had absolutely no pressure on him and allowed him to walk through midfield and pick his spot.

lastnight was awful, yes rotherham are well drilled, but they arent fcking man city. if we are suppose to have anything about us atleast match them.

the difference in everything across the pitch was huge. seriously worried after lastnight

'They aren't Man City' bang on mate! The way some people are talking (and some did do before the game had kicked off) is as though we have no right to compete with Rotherham FFS!

Imagine if Man City, who have the biggest resources in the Premier League, were sat in mid table and a mile away from the champions league spots...they would be a laughing stock.

We are now under huge pressure. Win the next three games and it might just give us a chance again but I have little confidence in Cook getting us through them.
That was Lambert ball tonight on 08:09 - Nov 24 with 1747 viewstextbackup

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:57 - Nov 24 by BseaBlue

'They aren't Man City' bang on mate! The way some people are talking (and some did do before the game had kicked off) is as though we have no right to compete with Rotherham FFS!

Imagine if Man City, who have the biggest resources in the Premier League, were sat in mid table and a mile away from the champions league spots...they would be a laughing stock.

We are now under huge pressure. Win the next three games and it might just give us a chance again but I have little confidence in Cook getting us through them.

ironically a paul cook league 1 team (i think) beat man city previously!

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

That was Lambert ball tonight on 09:56 - Nov 24 with 1658 viewsRadlett_blue

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:27 - Nov 24 by jayessess

Indeed, the most frustrating thing about the 2nd half last night was Town's unwillingness to put the ball into the box quickly when an opportunity arose & when the ball did eventually go in, the quality was desperately poor. Contrast that with Rotherham - when they attacked, the moved the ball briskly & usually put a quality, early ball into our box.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

That was Lambert ball tonight on 10:03 - Nov 24 with 1639 viewsWickets

Yes i agree except that usually we have at least one player and usually two or three who can play wide and get behind their defence (Burns Aluco Edwards Penny Coulson or KVY ) last night there was not a player on the pitch who could do that . Hence the big problem of no chances made no service to Bonne .
That was Lambert ball tonight on 12:29 - Nov 24 with 1557 viewsGarv

That was Lambert ball tonight on 07:03 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

What are you on about? We pumped it long to Bonne all night, and to his credit he won more than his fair share, but he had nobody anywhere near him aside from one flick on to Fraser in the first half. We aren't a footballing side. To be honest I don't really know what we are or what we're trying to be right now.

And I think we need to stop with this myth that we've been a goalscoring machine this season. We've humped three sides, outside those three games - which look anomalous at this point - we've scored 20 in 16. Hardly ripping it up. We don't create anywhere near as much as some of our fans make out, and we've now drawn three blanks in a row (booo! Mick out!), and often this season we've looked really disjointed as an attacking unit.

I honestly wonder what some of our fans are thinking. Expectations are through the floor and some seem to be really enjoying our mediocrity. Madness.

We played long at times because Rotherham forced us into it (not helped by Toto). Possession stats were high though (not a boast, just pointing out it wasn't all aimless hoofing, far from it).

The title of this thread refers to Lambert ball, passing slowly and sideways - this doesn't suggest we were pumping it long all night as you suggest. I find it very odd you saying we're not a footballing team.

We kept trying to play but we could have played another 90 and probably not scored, for me this was down to a serious lack of width due to our full backs and an opposition that had us well and truly sussed.

I'm not going to argue the point about goals, we were scoring consistently at the start of the season but this has obviously dried up in recent weeks. Also not getting into the expectancy/standards conversation because it's dull and just causes arguments.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 12:37 - Nov 24 with 1509 viewsHerbivore

That was Lambert ball tonight on 12:29 - Nov 24 by Garv

We played long at times because Rotherham forced us into it (not helped by Toto). Possession stats were high though (not a boast, just pointing out it wasn't all aimless hoofing, far from it).

The title of this thread refers to Lambert ball, passing slowly and sideways - this doesn't suggest we were pumping it long all night as you suggest. I find it very odd you saying we're not a footballing team.

We kept trying to play but we could have played another 90 and probably not scored, for me this was down to a serious lack of width due to our full backs and an opposition that had us well and truly sussed.

I'm not going to argue the point about goals, we were scoring consistently at the start of the season but this has obviously dried up in recent weeks. Also not getting into the expectancy/standards conversation because it's dull and just causes arguments.

We were passing it aimlessly between midfield and defence before then hoofing it long. Maintaining (pointless) possession and going long frequently are not mutually exclusive, we often used to do the same under Lambert, especially against the better sides.

I disagree that it's odd to say we aren't a footballing side. We aren't. I don't know what we are to be honest with you. We have a formation that we use regularly but no consistent style of play or any real identity. We look a bit of a mess in truth. It's bizarre that some, such as yourself, seem so accepting of this.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:14 - Nov 24 with 1467 viewsGarv

That was Lambert ball tonight on 12:37 - Nov 24 by Herbivore

We were passing it aimlessly between midfield and defence before then hoofing it long. Maintaining (pointless) possession and going long frequently are not mutually exclusive, we often used to do the same under Lambert, especially against the better sides.

I disagree that it's odd to say we aren't a footballing side. We aren't. I don't know what we are to be honest with you. We have a formation that we use regularly but no consistent style of play or any real identity. We look a bit of a mess in truth. It's bizarre that some, such as yourself, seem so accepting of this.

That's your opinion (that we're a mess). Don't start accusing people of having low standards and being 'accepting' of it just because they don't agree with you. It's just such a bore.

We have an identity of switching play and playing patient football, using the midfield two to build attacks and push teams back. It needs to be better and some will find it boring, but I think it's pretty identifiable and I'd imagine most managers that come up against it would say the same.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:20 - Nov 24 with 1435 viewsHerbivore

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:14 - Nov 24 by Garv

That's your opinion (that we're a mess). Don't start accusing people of having low standards and being 'accepting' of it just because they don't agree with you. It's just such a bore.

We have an identity of switching play and playing patient football, using the midfield two to build attacks and push teams back. It needs to be better and some will find it boring, but I think it's pretty identifiable and I'd imagine most managers that come up against it would say the same.

Our identity is switching play and getting our midfielders to pass the ball? Lolz.

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:23 - Nov 24 with 1422 viewsJackPITFC

My question is why is Nsiala still playing?

Cook spends 750k on a Centre back, who was supposedly one of the top players in the league last year in Burgess, yet doesn't get a sniff, after only one poor game at Cambridge.

Bizarre.
That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:24 - Nov 24 with 1420 viewsVic

That was Lambert ball tonight on 00:14 - Nov 24 by BseaBlue

But we haven’t really been crumbling lately have we. In this defining run of games we’ve come up short - we can see exactly where we are. We’re much better than a few months ago, we can stand toe to toe with the top 6 sides (apart from last night) but we’re not yet quite good enough to beat them.

Last night was bitterly disappointing, but let’s not get carried away with doom.

Will Cook get us to the next level? At season start I was confident he would, then After 2nmonths in I wasn’t, then we improved and I was, now after the last 6 games I’m not!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:44 - Nov 24 with 1374 viewshoppy

That was Lambert ball tonight on 09:56 - Nov 24 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, the most frustrating thing about the 2nd half last night was Town's unwillingness to put the ball into the box quickly when an opportunity arose & when the ball did eventually go in, the quality was desperately poor. Contrast that with Rotherham - when they attacked, the moved the ball briskly & usually put a quality, early ball into our box.

One such example was when we had a corner, and instead of taking that opportunity to actually get it into the box in the mix, we took a short corner, that was soon dealt with and the whole thing fizzled out without us even getting to test their keeper.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:49 - Nov 24 with 1360 viewstimothyeo

Wait, we passed the ball up the pitch and put a cross in?

WE ARE ON F**CKING FIRE. BUILD PAUL COOK A STATUE

Let's ignore that Sunday league sides are more than capable of the same.
That was Lambert ball tonight on 20:13 - Nov 24 with 1214 viewsgalacticoblue

And do you not recall the occasions in our own dangerous attacking situations where we somehow managed to play 25 passes backwards to our own keeper?

Do not get me started on almost all the last 3rd of the pitch free kicks taken quickly - to pass it around backwards some more instead of getting the ball crossed into the box.

Last night was an embarrassing shambles
That was Lambert ball tonight on 22:05 - Nov 24 with 1160 viewsPlums

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:23 - Nov 24 by JackPITFC

Cook spends 750k on a Centre back, who was supposedly one of the top players in the league last year in Burgess, yet doesn't get a sniff, after only one poor game at Cambridge.

Bizarre.

The same player who accidentally made the difference at Wycombe. It crossed my mind last night that he might come on to do the same but we’re not that inventive.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

That was Lambert ball tonight on 09:19 - Nov 25 with 1027 viewsRadlett_blue

That was Lambert ball tonight on 13:23 - Nov 24 by JackPITFC

Bizarre.

Toto is an average, strong stopper centre back at this level. He isn't great on the ball & other teams know that & are happy to let him have the ball. He's probably better off lumping it forwards early, but we don't really have the players and system to make that effective. He's unlikely to be a regular in a promotion winning team, unless it's going to play a lot of long ball.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024